Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

Default egg yolks

I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

Thanks.

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:36:00 -0500, "elaine" >
wrote:

>I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
>doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
>though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
>made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

Ick. I would throw them out. Once an egg is cracked, I say use it the
same day or freeze it. What does an egg yolk cost, three cents? Throw
it out.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

elaine wrote:
> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

Just enough for Key Lime Pie. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

elaine wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

Make some mayo. You can use it straight or make
salad dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

elaine wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

Mayonnaise

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jani

"serene" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:36:00 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and
>>not
>>doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
>>though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
>>made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

> Ick. I would throw them out. Once an egg is cracked, I say use it the
> same day or freeze it. What does an egg yolk cost, three cents? Throw
> it out.

Well, quite. Spare *fresh* yolks, on the other hand ... bit of single cream,
bit of grated cheddar, twist of black pepper and a few drops of Worcester
sauce - scramble, dollop onto hot buttered toast, breakfast

Jani

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Jani" > said:

<snip>

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow "Jani"... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:48:35 -0000, "Jani" > wrote:

>Spare *fresh* yolks, on the other hand ... bit of single cream,
>bit of grated cheddar, twist of black pepper and a few drops of Worcester
>sauce - scramble, dollop onto hot buttered toast, breakfast

Oooooh, that sounds LOVELY.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

>> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and
>> not
>> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
>> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they?
>> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!
>>

> Mayonnaise

Thanks but I already have home made mayonnaise in the fridge. I just always
use the whole egg - and am careful not to keep for longer than a week or
so -- although there are some that would say it only lasts for a couple of
days.

But I'm not dead yet!

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
nancree

whip lightly with fork, put in dish, cover / wax paper, and cook in
microwave until just done. Then seive them, or chop them, and use on
salads, or in a sandwich with mayo.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

Got a dog? :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
P.Aitken

elaine wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

Homemade mayo!

Peter

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise

I've posted this before, but I guess it is time again. There are three
parts to an egg, the shell, the yolk and the white. How many people
save the shells? Very few. They have some use, but unless you know in
advance what you need them for, they go right in the trash. Same for
the yolks, right in the trash, unless you have a use for them.

The protein is in the white. The yolk is full of cholesterol and
saturated fat. Although it is the best part, most of us can't afford to
eat them. Unless you are sure you don't have a cholesterol or weight
problem, unused egg yolks go right in the trash with the shells. Of
course, if you have a use for them, then use them. We normally use
whole eggs for cooking. Last advice I heard was a maximum of four whole
eggs per week.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

The following recipe uses three yolks. Just make the filling and call
it pudding.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Meringue Pie

Recipe By :Argo
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies/pastry

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups cold water
3 egg yolks -- slightly beaten
grated peel of 1 lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
1 pie crust (9 inch) -- baked and cooled
---Meringue---
3 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and
corn starch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.

2. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1
minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and
margarine.

3. Spoon hot filling into pie crust.

4. In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until
foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar; continue beating
until stiff peaks form.

5. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.

6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack;
refrigerate.

Source:
"http://brands.bestfoods.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"elaine" > wrote in message
>I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
>doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise though.
>They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I made choc.
>chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

Make Greek Avgolemano Soup

Very very good,

How about a nice rich custard?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"P.Aitken" > wrote in message

> elaine wrote:
>
>> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
>> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise though.
>> They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I made choc.
>> chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Elaine

> Homemade mayo!
>
> Peter

With 4 yolks that's about a quart and a half of Mayo.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Dan wrote:

> I've posted this before, but I guess it is time again. There are three
> parts to an egg, the shell, the yolk and the white. How many people
> save the shells? Very few. They have some use, but unless you know in
> advance what you need them for, they go right in the trash. Same for
> the yolks, right in the trash, unless you have a use for them.
>
> The protein is in the white. The yolk is full of cholesterol and
> saturated fat. Although it is the best part, most of us can't afford to
> eat them. Unless you are sure you don't have a cholesterol or weight
> problem, unused egg yolks go right in the trash with the shells. Of
> course, if you have a use for them, then use them. We normally use
> whole eggs for cooking. Last advice I heard was a maximum of four whole
> eggs per week.

I accept the fact that I'm shortening my life by eating more than four whole
eggs per week. Since I'm not constantly worrying about my diet, that
acceptance reduces my stress and extends my life.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Dimitri recommended:

> Make Greek Avgolemano Soup
>
> Very very good,
>
> How about a nice rich custard?

Those are two ideas of which I wholeheartedly approve, and I'd like to point
out that quiche is a type of custard. Here's the Cook's Illustrated version
of avgolemono (which a friend of mine once malapropped as "Avogadro's Number
Soup.")

GREEK EGG-LEMON SOUP (AVGOLEMONO)

2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
1 bay leaf
4 green cardamom pods, crushed
OR 2 whole cloves
large zest strips from 1 1/2 lemons
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs plus 2 yolks, preferably at room temperature
1/4 cup juice from zested lemons
1 large scallion, sliced thin, and/or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
leaves

1. Bring chicken stock to boil in medium non-reactive saucepan over high
heat. Add rice, bay leaf, cloves or cardamom, lemon zest, and salt; reduce
heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender and stock is aromatic from
lemon zest, 16 to 20 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove and discard bay
leaf, cloves or cardamom, and zest strips; increase heat to high and return
stock to boil, then reduce heat to low.

2. Whisk eggs, yolks, and lemon juice lightly in medium nonreactive bowl
until combined. Whisking constantly, slowly ladle about 2 cups hot stock
into egg mixture; whisk until combined. Pour egg-stock mixture back into
saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup is thickened
and wisps of steam appear, 4 to 5 minutes. Do not simmer or boil. Divide
soup among serving bowls, sprinkle with scallion and/or mint; serve
immediately.

NOTES:
1. Room-temperature eggs yield a marginally smoother texture than eggs
right out of the refrigerator.

2. Homemade stock makes a BIG difference.

3. The soup thickens to a gravylike consistency if it's reheated, so it's
important to serve it immediately.

VARIATIONS:

EGG-LEMON SOUP WITH CINNAMON AND CAYENNE

This variation, which was the favorite of the test kitchen, is based on a
Tunisian-style egg-lemon soup: Follow the recipe for Greek Egg-Lemon Soup,
substituting one 2-inch stick of cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne for the
cloves or cardamom.

EGG-LEMON SOUP WITH SAFFRON

Follow the recipe for Greek Egg-Lemon Soup, adding a pinch (about 1/4
teaspoon) saffron threads, crushed between fingertips, along with rice, bay
leaves, cloves or cardamom, salt, and zest.

EGG-LEMON SOUP WITH CHICKEN

Follow any of the recipes given above, adding two boneless, skinless chicken
breasts (about 12 ounces total) cut into 1/2-inch cubes to stock along with
rice, seasonings, and zest.

APPENDIX:

QUICK HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped medium
4 pounds chicken backs and necks, hacked with cleaver into 2-inch pieces
(you can use chicken wings instead, if necks and backs are unavailable)
2 quarts boiling water
2 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves

1. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium-high heat until shimmering; add
onion and sauté until softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer onion to
large bowl. Add half of chicken pieces to pot, sauté until no longer pink,
4 to 5 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to bowl with onion. Repeat with
remaining chicken pieces. Return onion and chicken pieces to pot. Reduce
heat to low, cover, and cook until chicken releases its juices, about 20
minutes. Increase heat to high; add boiling water, salt, and bay leaves.
Return to simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and barely simmer
until broth is rich and flavorful, about 20 minutes.

2. Strain broth and discard solids. Spoon off fat and discard (or keep for
some other unholy purpose). Stock can be covered and refrigerated up to 2
days or frozen for several months.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Dimitri recommended:
>
>> Make Greek Avgolemano Soup
>>
>> Very very good,
>>
>> How about a nice rich custard?

> Those are two ideas of which I wholeheartedly approve, and I'd like to point
> out that quiche is a type of custard. Here's the Cook's Illustrated version
> of avgolemono (which a friend of mine once malapropped as "Avogadro's Number
> Soup.")
>
> GREEK EGG-LEMON SOUP (AVGOLEMONO)

Nice recipes snipped -

One of my grandmothers used to make this soup all the time. Before even tasting
the soup my grandfather used to squeeze another 1/2 lemon into his serving. She
would get furious - how can you put more lemon into my soup before tasting it.

She swore one day she was going to make the soup out of pure lemon juice.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>

>>I've posted this before, but I guess it is time again. There are three
>>parts to an egg, the shell, the yolk and the white. How many people
>>save the shells? Very few. They have some use, but unless you know in
>>advance what you need them for, they go right in the trash. Same for
>>the yolks, right in the trash, unless you have a use for them.
>>
>>The protein is in the white. The yolk is full of cholesterol and
>>saturated fat. Although it is the best part, most of us can't afford to
>>eat them. Unless you are sure you don't have a cholesterol or weight
>>problem, unused egg yolks go right in the trash with the shells. Of
>>course, if you have a use for them, then use them. We normally use
>>whole eggs for cooking. Last advice I heard was a maximum of four whole
>>eggs per week.

> I accept the fact that I'm shortening my life by eating more than four whole
> eggs per week. Since I'm not constantly worrying about my diet, that
> acceptance reduces my stress and extends my life.

I agree with your latter statement, but not the former. an extra 15
pounds never hurt anyone. You aren't shortening your life. Its when you
are more than 50 pounds or so above the "ideal" range that statistically
relevant health issues arise. As long as you are active, and eat lots of
fruits and vegetables and whole grains in addition to everything else
(all in moderation, of course!)there is no reason for a reasonably
healthy individual to worry too much about their diet. We all die
eventually, it's unavoidable. Most of us will never conform to the
"ideal" body, so why stress out about it?

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:36:00 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>
>> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and
>> not
>> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
>> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they?
>> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

> The following recipe uses three yolks. Just make the filling and call
> it pudding.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Lemon Meringue Pie
>
> Recipe By :Argo
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : pies/pastry

> 1 cup sugar
> 1/4 cup cornstarch
> 1 1/2 cups cold water
> 3 egg yolks -- slightly beaten
> grated peel of 1 lemon
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
> 1 tablespoon butter
> 1 pie crust (9 inch) -- baked and cooled
> ---Meringue---
> 3 egg whites
> 1/3 cup sugar
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and
> corn starch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.
>
> 2. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1
> minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and
> margarine.
>
> 3. Spoon hot filling into pie crust.
>
> 4. In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until
> foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar; continue beating
> until stiff peaks form.
>
> 5. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
>
> 6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack;
> refrigerate.
>
> Source:
> "http://brands.bestfoods.com/"

OK, I'm laughing because I'm using my 3 of my 4 egg yolks for this delicious
looking recipe. But guess what -- I also have to use 3 egg whites. So ---
I still have 3 yolks left!

Thanks anyway:-)

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dimitri recommended:
>

>>Make Greek Avgolemano Soup
>>
>>Very very good,
>>
>>How about a nice rich custard?

> Those are two ideas of which I wholeheartedly approve, and I'd like to point
> out that quiche is a type of custard. Here's the Cook's Illustrated version
> of avgolemono (which a friend of mine once malapropped as "Avogadro's Number
> Soup.")

<snip recipe>

hee! and here I though I was the only one! I make a similar soup that I
call "avgolemono", but I have been trying to economize lately, and so
I've been making it with bottled lemon juice. Not as good as the real
thing, certainly, but it tastes ok.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:29:07 -0500, "elaine" >
wrote:

> OK, I'm laughing because I'm using my 3 of my 4 egg yolks for this delicious
> looking recipe. But guess what -- I also have to use 3 egg whites. So ---
> I still have 3 yolks left!

No, no, no! Make JUST the filling and call it pudding!

Carol, grinning
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 28 Dec 2005 04:29:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it elaine?

> Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:36:00 -0500, "elaine" > wrote:
>>
>>> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy
>>> and not doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not
>>> hollaindaise though. They will probably only last another day or so -
>>> or will they? I
>>> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

>> The following recipe uses three yolks. Just make the filling and call
>> it pudding.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Lemon Meringue Pie
>>
>> Recipe By :Argo
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : pies/pastry
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 1/4 cup cornstarch
>> 1 1/2 cups cold water
>> 3 egg yolks -- slightly beaten
>> grated peel of 1 lemon
>> 1/4 cup lemon juice
>> 1 tablespoon butter
>> 1 pie crust (9 inch) -- baked and cooled
>> ---Meringue--- 3 egg whites
>> 1/3 cup sugar
>>
>> 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and
>> corn starch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.
>>
>> 2. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1
>> minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and
>> margarine.
>>
>> 3. Spoon hot filling into pie crust.
>>
>> 4. In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until
>> foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar; continue beating
>> until stiff peaks form.
>>
>> 5. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
>>
>> 6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack;
>> refrigerate.
>>
>> Source:
>> "http://brands.bestfoods.com/"

> OK, I'm laughing because I'm using my 3 of my 4 egg yolks for this
> delicious looking recipe. But guess what -- I also have to use 3 egg
> whites. So --- I still have 3 yolks left!
>
> Thanks anyway:-)

You could always top the pie with whipped cream instead of meringue, OR you
could make the following spice cake:

Golden Spice Cake
1/2 cup butter
21/4 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon soda
Yolks 4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
Few grains cayenne
Few gratings lemon rind

Cream the butter, add sugar gradually, egg and yolks of eggs well beaten,
molasses, milk, flour, mixed and sifted with spices, cayenne, and lemon
rind. Bake in a moderate oven one hour, and cover with White Mountain Cream
Frosting.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:29:07 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>
>> OK, I'm laughing because I'm using my 3 of my 4 egg yolks for this
>> delicious
>> looking recipe. But guess what -- I also have to use 3 egg whites.
>> So ---
>> I still have 3 yolks left!

> No, no, no! Make JUST the filling and call it pudding!
>
> Carol, grinning

Carol, Got it! I think.

Make a custard with the egg yolks - maybe even add some chocolate, then it
will be chocolate pudding. I like that idea. So can I spin a couple of
more days out of that???

E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:45:48 -0500, "elaine" >
wrote:

> Make a custard with the egg yolks - maybe even add some chocolate, then it
> will be chocolate pudding. I like that idea. So can I spin a couple of
> more days out of that???

I'm no expert, but if it were me, yeah, I'd make the custard/pudding
and consider it safe for a couple days, since the yolks will have been
cooked.

Here's another recipe. You can make a double batch if you'd like. I
also have recipes for vanilla and butterscotch puddings.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Pudding

Recipe By :Betty Crocker
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : chocolate desserts
puddings

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks -- slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter -- softened
2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt in 2-quart saucepan.
2. Combine milk and egg yolks, then gradually stir into the dry
ingredients.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to
a boil.
4. Continue to boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
6. Pour pudding into four serving dishes, and chill.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 28 Dec 2005 04:29:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it elaine?
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

>>> The following recipe uses three yolks. Just make the filling and call
>>> it pudding.
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Lemon Meringue Pie
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Argo
>>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : pies/pastry
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>> 1/4 cup cornstarch
>>> 1 1/2 cups cold water
>>> 3 egg yolks -- slightly beaten
>>> grated peel of 1 lemon
>>> 1/4 cup lemon juice
>>> 1 tablespoon butter
>>> 1 pie crust (9 inch) -- baked and cooled
>>> ---Meringue--- 3 egg whites
>>> 1/3 cup sugar
>>>
>>> 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and
>>> corn starch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.
>>>
>>> 2. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1
>>> minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and
>>> margarine.
>>>
>>> 3. Spoon hot filling into pie crust.
>>>
>>> 4. In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until
>>> foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar; continue beating
>>> until stiff peaks form.
>>>
>>> 5. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
>>>
>>> 6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack;
>>> refrigerate.
>>>
>>> Source:
>>> "http://brands.bestfoods.com/"

>> OK, I'm laughing because I'm using my 3 of my 4 egg yolks for this
>> delicious looking recipe. But guess what -- I also have to use 3 egg
>> whites. So --- I still have 3 yolks left!
>>
>> Thanks anyway:-)

> You could always top the pie with whipped cream instead of meringue, OR
> you
> could make the following spice cake:
>
> Golden Spice Cake
> 1/2 cup butter
> 21/4 cups flour
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 egg
> 1/2 teaspoon soda
> Yolks 4 eggs
> 1/2 teaspoon clove
> 1/2 cup molasses
> 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
> 1/2 cup milk
> Few grains cayenne
> Few gratings lemon rind
>
> Cream the butter, add sugar gradually, egg and yolks of eggs well beaten,
> molasses, milk, flour, mixed and sifted with spices, cayenne, and lemon
> rind. Bake in a moderate oven one hour, and cover with White Mountain
> Cream
> Frosting.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Thanks people - now I have 2 choices. Pudding or cake. And I have all those
ingredients.

Interesting addition of cayenne............

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 28 Dec 2005 05:00:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it elaine?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> OK, I'm laughing because I'm using my 3 of my 4 egg yolks for this
>>> delicious looking recipe. But guess what -- I also have to use 3 egg
>>> whites. So --- I still have 3 yolks left!
>>>
>>> Thanks anyway:-)

>> You could always top the pie with whipped cream instead of meringue, OR
>> you could make the following spice cake:
>>
>> Golden Spice Cake
>> 1/2 cup butter
>> 21/4 cups flour
>> 1/2 cup brown sugar
>> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
>> 1 egg
>> 1/2 teaspoon soda
>> Yolks 4 eggs
>> 1/2 teaspoon clove
>> 1/2 cup molasses
>> 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
>> 1/2 cup milk
>> Few grains cayenne
>> Few gratings lemon rind
>>
>> Cream the butter, add sugar gradually, egg and yolks of eggs well
>> beaten, molasses, milk, flour, mixed and sifted with spices, cayenne,
>> and lemon rind. Bake in a moderate oven one hour, and cover with White
>> Mountain Cream
>> Frosting.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Thanks people - now I have 2 choices. Pudding or cake. And I have all
> those ingredients.
>
> Interesting addition of cayenne............

It's hardly noticable, but it does add another dimension to the overall
flavor. BTW, that's a 350 degree oven, and you can bake it in two layers
or a 9 x 13 pan.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> > I accept the fact that I'm shortening my life by eating more than four whole
> > eggs per week. Since I'm not constantly worrying about my diet, that
> > acceptance reduces my stress and extends my life.

> I agree with your latter statement, but not the former. an extra 15
> pounds never hurt anyone. You aren't shortening your life. Its when you
> are more than 50 pounds or so above the "ideal" range that statistically
> relevant health issues arise. As long as you are active, and eat lots of
> fruits and vegetables and whole grains in addition to everything else
> (all in moderation, of course!)there is no reason for a reasonably
> healthy individual to worry too much about their diet. We all die
> eventually, it's unavoidable. Most of us will never conform to the
> "ideal" body, so why stress out about it?

Don't stress out about it. That doesn't help. People with certain
health issues, even though reasonably healthy, need to watch their
diets. Others don't. It has nothing to do with an "ideal" body.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
> though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
> made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Elaine

Egg noodles.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>

>>Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>>I accept the fact that I'm shortening my life by eating more than four whole
>>>eggs per week. Since I'm not constantly worrying about my diet, that
>>>acceptance reduces my stress and extends my life.

>>I agree with your latter statement, but not the former. an extra 15
>>pounds never hurt anyone. You aren't shortening your life. Its when you
>>are more than 50 pounds or so above the "ideal" range that statistically
>>relevant health issues arise. As long as you are active, and eat lots of
>>fruits and vegetables and whole grains in addition to everything else
>>(all in moderation, of course!)there is no reason for a reasonably
>>healthy individual to worry too much about their diet. We all die
>>eventually, it's unavoidable. Most of us will never conform to the
>>"ideal" body, so why stress out about it?

> Don't stress out about it. That doesn't help. People with certain
> health issues, even though reasonably healthy, need to watch their
> diets. Others don't. It has nothing to do with an "ideal" body.

most people have no reason to worry about the latest "deadly food" fad.
If you have health issues that need to be controlled by diet, I would
not include you in the "reasonably healthy" category.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

wrote:

>I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
>doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise
>though. They will probably only last another day or so - or will they? I
>made choc. chip meringues on Saturday so maybe they're even toast now!

I'd just mix them with a couple of whole eggs and make some extra rich
scrambled eggs or omelets for an easy supper.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:38:09 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "elaine" > wrote:
>
>> I have 4 egg yolks - and yes, I apologize in advance for being lazy and not
>> doing a google. Just wondering how I can use them. Not hollaindaise

>I've posted this before, but I guess it is time again. There are three
>parts to an egg, the shell, the yolk and the white. How many people
>save the shells? Very few. They have some use, but unless you know in
>advance what you need them for, they go right in the trash. Same for
>the yolks, right in the trash, unless you have a use for them.
>
>The protein is in the white. The yolk is full of cholesterol and
>saturated fat. Although it is the best part, most of us can't afford to
>eat them. Unless you are sure you don't have a cholesterol or weight
>problem, unused egg yolks go right in the trash with the shells. Of
>course, if you have a use for them, then use them. We normally use
>whole eggs for cooking. Last advice I heard was a maximum of four whole
>eggs per week.
>
>--
>Dan Abel

>Petaluma, California, USA

Now, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong .....

But I thought the lastest thinking was that eggs are no longer
regarded as a problem source of colesterol, and there are no longer
recommendations to limit them to so many per week. Certainly, I have
given up on that thinking for some years.

Here's just one of many articles on eggs and cholesterol
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16140.asp

Kathy in NZ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
axlq

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:
>> Here's just one of many articles on eggs and cholesterol
>> http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16140.asp

>I found the above article to be very misleading. I'm sure that it is
>factually true, but still very misleading.
>
>The current recommendation of the AHA (American Heart Association) is:
>
>http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3001455

That's even more misleading. As usual, the AHA seems far behind the
times regarding proper nutrition, although overall the guidelines
are sound. It's telling that they don't even know enough to
differentiate betweeh HDL and LDL cholesterol -- let alone leaving
out any mention of research pertaining to the LDL/HDL ratio, which
appears to be more important than overall count. Or maybe they do
know better but the article dumbs down the subject for the general
public.

See for example: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abst...9/suppl_5/540S
Granted, it's written by a guy from the egg industry, but at least it's
in a respectable journal.

-A
Posted to rec.food.cooking
BoboBonobo

axlq wrote:
> In article >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
> >> Here's just one of many articles on eggs and cholesterol
> >> http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16140.asp

> >I found the above article to be very misleading. I'm sure that it is
> >factually true, but still very misleading.
> >
> >The current recommendation of the AHA (American Heart Association) is:
> >
> >http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3001455

> That's even more misleading. As usual, the AHA seems far behind the
> times regarding proper nutrition, although overall the guidelines
> are sound. It's telling that they don't even know enough to
> differentiate betweeh HDL and LDL cholesterol -- let alone leaving
> out any mention of research pertaining to the LDL/HDL ratio, which
> appears to be more important than overall count. Or maybe they do
> know better but the article dumbs down the subject for the general
> public.
>
> See for example: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abst...9/suppl_5/540S
> Granted, it's written by a guy from the egg industry, but at least it's
> in a respectable journal.

I agree. The only meaningful numbers are HDL/LDL and HDL/trigycerides.
High HDL levels are good. If your "cholesterol" were high due to
extremely high HDL levels, you're better off than if your "cholesterol"
levels were low and your HDL levels were very low.
Eggs are healthy food, and egg yolks are positively delicious. The AHA
is behind the times, as is the American Diabetes Assn. and the fact
that they only recently started paying heed to the glycemic index, and
still haven't embraced the ketogenic diet as one of the ways to deal
with diabetes, at least for some people.
Are you familiar with policosanol?

--Bryan http://myspace.com/BoboBonobo

no yolks Somebody General Cooking 1 29-12-2012 11:41 AM
What can you do with egg yolks? thekitchen-aide General Cooking 38 25-03-2011 12:13 PM
What to do with 16 egg yolks? Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 48 08-03-2009 05:08 AM
What to do with 12 egg yolks? Jen[_4_] Baking 3 07-01-2008 12:23 AM
6 yolks Jude General Cooking 12 14-02-2006 11:14 PM