Old 23-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Member

Default What can you do with egg yolks?

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Old 23-03-2011, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

--
thekitchen-aide

Save em for a hollandaise. A sabayon. Bernaise. You can add yolks
to alfredo sauce. Lots of stuff. Google is your friend.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"thekitchen-aide" wrote in
message ...

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

--
thekitchen-aide

Mayonnaise
Custard
Puddings
Bread puddings
Aioli
Meatloaf (or any mixed meat)
add to waffle/pancake batter

Dimitri

Old 23-03-2011, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:11:08 +0000, thekitchen-aide
wrote:

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Baking cakes/breads/pancakes/waffles... box cakes certainly won't know
the difference, can only be an improvement. Can add those yolks to
smoothies too... use in puddings of all kinds; chocolate, rice,
tapioca, bread...

Old 23-03-2011, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 6:11*am, thekitchen-aide thekitchen-aide.
wrote:
Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

--
thekitchen-aide

Make lemon curd or another curd; make custard.

N.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

thekitchen-aide wrote:

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

--
thekitchen-aide

Any custard type recipe. Ice cream base, creme brulee, flan, etc.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
thekitchen-aide wrote:

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
useful shells...in the garbage.

However, you may wish to check your mousse recipe. Many use the yolks.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 23-03-2011, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

thekitchen-aide wrote:
Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Make lemon curd. (Or orange or lime curd) Make some good yellow cake layers
using a recipe that uses just egg yolks--see The Cake Bible--and freeze them
(well wrapped) if you don't want to eat them right now. This will enable you
to have a cake on short notice in the future.

Old 23-03-2011, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

The most obvious thing is leche flan. If you just have a few yolks to
dispose of, we've already discussed mayonnaise (which includes aioli)
and hollandaise in the last couple of days.

Old 23-03-2011, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 10:57*am, Dan Abel wrote:
In article ,

*thekitchen-aide wrote:
Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
useful shells...in the garbage.

I have exactly the opposite problem. I often have leftover whites.
Sometimes I even throw them away. I never throw away yolks. An
excuse to male Hollandaise, or even mayo, which every civilized person
knows is made with egg YOLKS.

--
Dan Abel

--Bryan
Old 23-03-2011, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

--
thekitchen-aide

Me thinks this food banter troll doesn't do much cooking.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,

*thekitchen-aide wrote:
Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
useful shells...in the garbage.

I have exactly the opposite problem. I often have leftover whites.
Sometimes I even throw them away.

I freeze them in plastic containers, 4 to a container. Then thaw 'em
out when I want to make pavlova.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

no yolks Somebody General Cooking 1 29-12-2012 12:41 PM
What to do with 16 egg yolks? Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 48 08-03-2009 06:08 AM
What to do with 12 egg yolks? Jen[_4_] Baking 3 07-01-2008 01:23 AM
6 yolks Jude General Cooking 12 15-02-2006 12:14 AM
egg yolks elaine General Cooking 41 31-12-2005 07:55 PM