Member

Default What can you do with egg yolks?

Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 7:11*am, thekitchen-aide <thekitchen-aide.
> wrote:
> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
>
> --
> thekitchen-aide

Save em for a hollandaise. A sabayon. Bernaise. You can add yolks
to alfredo sauce. Lots of stuff. Google is your friend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"thekitchen-aide" > wrote in
message ...

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
>

> --
> thekitchen-aide

Mayonnaise
Custard
Puddings
Bread puddings
Aioli
Meatloaf (or any mixed meat)
add to waffle/pancake batter

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:11:08 +0000, thekitchen-aide
> wrote:

>Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
>feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
>Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Baking cakes/breads/pancakes/waffles... box cakes certainly won't know
the difference, can only be an improvement. Can add those yolks to
smoothies too... use in puddings of all kinds; chocolate, rice,
tapioca, bread...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 6:11*am, thekitchen-aide <thekitchen-aide.
> wrote:
> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
>
> --
> thekitchen-aide

Make lemon curd or another curd; make custard.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thekitchen-aide wrote:

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
>
> --
> thekitchen-aide

Any custard type recipe. Ice cream base, creme brulee, flan, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
thekitchen-aide > wrote:

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
useful shells...in the garbage.

However, you may wish to check your mousse recipe. Many use the yolks.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2011 11:57 AM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
>> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>>
>> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

> Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
> useful shells...in the garbage.
>
> However, you may wish to check your mousse recipe. Many use the yolks.

Or ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thekitchen-aide wrote:
> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Make lemon curd. (Or orange or lime curd) Make some good yellow cake layers
using a recipe that uses just egg yolks--see The Cake Bible--and freeze them
(well wrapped) if you don't want to eat them right now. This will enable you
to have a cake on short notice in the future.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:11:08 +0000, thekitchen-aide
> wrote:

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

The most obvious thing is leche flan. If you just have a few yolks to
dispose of, we've already discussed mayonnaise (which includes aioli)
and hollandaise in the last couple of days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 10:57*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *thekitchen-aide > wrote:
> > Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> > feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

> > Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

> Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
> useful shells...in the garbage.

I have exactly the opposite problem. I often have leftover whites.
Sometimes I even throw them away. I never throw away yolks. An
excuse to male Hollandaise, or even mayo, which every civilized person
knows is made with egg YOLKS.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 6:11*am, thekitchen-aide <thekitchen-aide.
> wrote:
> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
>
> --
> thekitchen-aide

Me thinks this food banter troll doesn't do much cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bryan > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 10:57*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *thekitchen-aide > wrote:
> > > Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> > > feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

> > > Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

> > Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
> > useful shells...in the garbage.
> >

> I have exactly the opposite problem. I often have leftover whites.
> Sometimes I even throw them away.

I freeze them in plastic containers, 4 to a container. Then thaw 'em
out when I want to make pavlova.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
thekitchen-aide > wrote:

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Look up recipes for "Gold cake". They get their yellow color from egg
yolks.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"thekitchen-aide" > wrote in
message ...

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

You can make a lovely zabaglione sauce. Very easy and very fast.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:57:20 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
>useful shells...in the garbage.

Dyspepsia? Blow to the head? 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "thekitchen-aide" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
>> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>>
>> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

> You can make a lovely zabaglione sauce. Very easy and very fast.
>
> Paul

I googled "egg yolks", this site might be of use.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...egg-yolks.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 23/03/2011 20:46, Paul M. Cook ha scritto:

>> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
>> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>>
>> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

> You can make a lovely zabaglione sauce. Very easy and very fast.

A prefect excuse to drink some dry marsala wine
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 7:11*am, thekitchen-aide <thekitchen-aide.
> wrote:
> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?
>
> --

This has come up before, if you can find the thread. I don't feel
that guilty tossing them - after all, I figure it's about half the
price of an egg. Even if I junked a whole dozen yolks --well, what am
I going to do? Drive my cholesterol up and feel smug about it? ( I
had a problem once in this vein.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 1:48*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Bryan > wrote:
> > On Mar 23, 10:57 am, Dan Abel > wrote:

> > > Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
> > > useful shells...in the garbage.

> > I have exactly the opposite problem. *I often have leftover whites.
> > Sometimes I even throw them away.

> I freeze them in plastic containers, 4 to a container. *Then thaw 'em
> out when I want to make pavlova.

I'm not crazy about meringue, and I can't use up all the leftover
whites. They're wonderfully nutritious, and it upsets me to throw
them away. I've often thought that if I had a restaurant that I'd
make meringue cookies to give away to customers.

> Miche

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"thekitchen-aide" > wrote in
message ...

> Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.
>
> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Rub them in your hair as a conditioner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bryan > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 1:48*pm, Miche > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > *Bryan > wrote:

> > > I have exactly the opposite problem. *I often have leftover whites.
> > > Sometimes I even throw them away.

> > I freeze them in plastic containers, 4 to a container. *Then thaw 'em
> > out when I want to make pavlova.

> I'm not crazy about meringue, and I can't use up all the leftover
> whites. They're wonderfully nutritious, and it upsets me to throw
> them away. I've often thought that if I had a restaurant that I'd
> make meringue cookies to give away to customers.

Angel food cake?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 12:57*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Mar 23, 10:57*am, Dan Abel > wrote:> In article >,
>
> > *thekitchen-aide > wrote:
> > > Whenever I make mousse or anything with a lot of egg whites, I always
> > > feel so bad throwing out all the yolks.

> > > Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

> > Unneeded egg yolks generally belong in the same place as those very
> > useful shells...in the garbage.

> I have exactly the opposite problem. *I often have leftover whites.
> Sometimes I even throw them away. *I never throw away yolks. *An
> excuse to male Hollandaise, or even mayo, which every civilized person
> knows is made with egg YOLKS.

Oh gawd are you STILL on that????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:16:05 +1300, Miche > wrote:

> Angel food cake?

That was my thought too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-23, Portland > wrote:

> Save em for a hollandaise. A sabayon. Bernaise. You can add yolks
> to alfredo sauce. Lots of stuff. Google is your friend.

Testify!

Portland, you jes earned my GG KF exclusion.

I'm still working on a good bernaise for fish. My prob is, I hate
whipped eggwhites, so never have yolks to burn.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> On 2011-03-23, Portland > wrote:
>
>> Save em for a hollandaise. A sabayon. Bernaise. You can add yolks
>> to alfredo sauce. Lots of stuff. Google is your friend.

> Testify!
>
> Portland, you jes earned my GG KF exclusion.
>
> I'm still working on a good bernaise for fish. My prob is, I hate
> whipped eggwhites, so never have yolks to burn.
>
> nb

C'mon, be the big spender. Buy the eggs, use the yolks, and give the whites
to a neighbor or (gasp!) pitch them out!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-24, Felice > wrote:

> to a neighbor or (gasp!) pitch them out!

Oh, believe me when I say I will!

nb --lookin fer an egg-suckin' dog
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> On 2011-03-24, Felice > wrote:
>
>> to a neighbor or (gasp!) pitch them out!

> Oh, believe me when I say I will!
>
> nb --lookin fer an egg-suckin' dog

Or snake ...

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Felice" >
> wrote:
>
>> C'mon, be the big spender. Buy the eggs, use the yolks, and give the
>> whites
>> to a neighbor or (gasp!) pitch them out!

> Maybe it's just me, or that I grew up poor or that we started our
> marriage pretty poor and have to keep a tight budget, even with our
> middle class income now, but I just don't understand the idea of
> throwing out good, usable food, just because you can afford it. Add the
> egg whites to scrambled eggs to lighten it up or to your next loaf of
> bread instead of water or milk (or in addition, depending on how much
> you have) or fuse in a recipe that needs extra egg whites for leavening
> or freeze for later. What is the value of throwing away usable food
> just because it isn't too expensive? Just to show you don't need the
> money?
>
> I try to use up all that we have. It's part of how we afford the
> good food we do. It's part of how we can buy local/organic/straight
> from the farmer/rancher. I can't stand waste. What we can't eat
> directly, goes into a soup/stock bag in the freezer, we feed the
> chickens and turkeys to turn into eggs and meat what can't go in there
> and the compost gets the stuff that can't go to anyone. When I roast
> meat, I save the bones for stock. I make multiple meals from a chicken
> or other hunk of meat. I add leftover oatmeal to pancakes or bread. I
> use stale bread for croutons or bread pudding or French toast or bread
> crumbs. I zest my citrus and freeze it when I use the juice or flesh by
> itself. I make soup out of the sad vegetables that sometimes remain
> anyway. Does that mean that we can't afford to eat or buy our food? Or
> is that simply making the most and best use of it?

Yep, I am with you, m'dear!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thekitchen-aide > wrote:

> Any good ideas of how to utilize these (besides just making eggs)?

Use them for making Scotch woodcock.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Ever had a Pavlova? Man, those are sooooo good!! I would save egg whites
> just for that....

Heh... made me blush a bit, since I was the one who made the first (and
probably the only) pavlova Christine ever tasted. It was just over two years
ago.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This discussion has expanded to include the question of what you do with
leftover egg whites. But there's an easy answer to BOTH of the questions:
Make pasta.

You can make pasta dough using all-purpose flour and egg yolks. What you'll
get is an incredibly rich pasta suitable for matching with a
strongly-flavored ragout.

You can also make pasta dough using egg whites and no egg yolks, but that's
generally made using a fifty-fifty mix of all-purpos and semolina flours.
What you get is a bit austere in taste, which means it matches well with
seafood or mildly-flavored vegetables. According to Mario Batali (and a bit
indirectly from Lidia Bastianich), the most common use for that pasta dough
is strangozzi, though I'd think you could make chitarra-cut noodles or
orechiette just fine.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> You can make pasta dough using all-purpose flour and egg yolks. What
> you'll get is an incredibly rich pasta suitable for matching with a >
> strongly-flavored ragout.

Or just butter and cheese, even better.

though I'd think you could make chitarra-cut noodles or > orechiette just
fine.

Orecchiette are made with flour and hot water, no egg. Many of the pastas
of the far south are made like that, and hand rolled between the palms
noodle shapes are very often hot water pasta, but the names are different
from town to town, let alone from region to region.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Orecchiette are made with flour and hot water, no egg. Many of the pastas
> of the far south are made like that, and hand rolled between the palms
> noodle shapes are very often hot water pasta, but the names are different
> from town to town, let alone from region to region.

....but you've got to do *something* with the egg whites! Why not put them
into pasta?

The pasta Batali was talking about was from Abruzzo and points south (by
which I'd guess he meant Molise and maybe Apulia). The pasta Bastianich was
talking about was from Spoleto, though as I mentioned, she only indirectly
depicted the pasta being made with egg whites: There was a vignette of a
woman making egg-white pasta in the "Lidia's Italy" episode about
strangozzi, but when Bastianich herself got around to making strangozzi she
only used flour and water.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> ...but you've got to do *something* with the egg whites! Why not put them>
> into pasta?

Meringues are very very popular here!

> The pasta Batali was talking about was from Abruzzo and points south (by
> which I'd guess he meant Molise and maybe Apulia). The pasta Bastianich
> was talking about was from Spoleto

etc. etc. Of course every cook uses up what there is because it is a
practical country other than driving. What you may be missing is that
neither of those two is actually Italian or living here, although Lidia did
until she was 8 and Mario did for a while.. an extended trip. My DD refused
to let me watch the cooking shows on TV when they were "Italian" because I
was yelling at the screen when I was supposed to be taking care of her
sickly self.

Things are offered up as "real Italian" that may be just one person's idea
or only an interpretation of a tradition.

Is it important? Probably not to many people, but I believe tradition is
taught as tradition and embroideries or modernizations are taught as that
and I also believe that you don't teach those without showing the variation.
Without some feeling for reality and history you end up with terrible messes
passing themselves off as good food. There goes the neighborhood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> What you may be missing is that neither of those two is actually Italian
> or living here, although Lidia did until she was 8 and Mario did for a
> while.. an extended trip. My DD refused to let me watch the cooking shows
> on TV when they were "Italian" because I was yelling at the screen when I
> was supposed to be taking care of her sickly self.
>
> Things are offered up as "real Italian" that may be just one person's idea
> or only an interpretation of a tradition.
>
> Is it important? Probably not to many people, but I believe tradition is
> taught as tradition and embroideries or modernizations are taught as that
> and I also believe that you don't teach those without showing the
> variation. Without some feeling for reality and history you end up with
> terrible messes passing themselves off as good food. There goes the
> neighborhood.

I can't speak for Lidia Bastianich, but Mario Batali appears to be a
stickler for authenticity: When asked, "Why do you make ___ that way?" his
response is invariably, "Because that's the way it's made by the little old
Italian lady who showed me how to make it."

Bob

no yolks Somebody General Cooking 1 29-12-2012 12:41 PM
What to do with 16 egg yolks? Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 48 08-03-2009 06:08 AM
What to do with 12 egg yolks? Jen[_4_] Baking 3 07-01-2008 01:23 AM
6 yolks Jude General Cooking 12 15-02-2006 12:14 AM
egg yolks elaine General Cooking 41 31-12-2005 07:55 PM