Old 21-11-2005, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

Default Herb Suggestion?

I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

Honey-Mustard Chicken

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Comine mustard and honey in a small
bowl. Stir in dill and orange peel. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Place chicken, skin-side down, on prepared pan. Brush sauce on top
of chicken, coat well. Turn chicken over. Gently pull back skin and
brush meat with sauce. Gently pull skin back into place. Brush skin
with remaining sauce. Bake until juices run clear when thickest portion
of meat is pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes.

Make ahead: Make the hone-mustard sauce ahead of time as directed;
keep refrigerated until ready to use. Store in an airtight container
for up to 1 week.

Variation: Give the chicken a wonderful tangy tasted by adding 2
tablespoons of orange marmalage to the sauce.

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Old 21-11-2005, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

S'mee wrote:
I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

Honey-Mustard Chicken

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces

[snip]
Rosemary would work. So would tarragon. If it were me, I'd use thyme,
but then again my thyme plant has gotten so big I find I am using thyme
almost daily. I wonder if it can be divided? -aem

Old 21-11-2005, 05:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"aem" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
If it were me, I'd use thyme,
but then again my thyme plant has gotten so big I find I am using thyme
almost daily. I wonder if it can be divided? -aem

It depends. Thyme will root at various places where a branch touches the
ground. If that has happened, you can sever the branch and treat the rooted
part as a new, small plant. If you don't have any branches like this, then,
no it can't be divided. The mother plant has only one base root.
Janet

Old 21-11-2005, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "aem" said:
S'mee wrote:

I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

Honey-Mustard Chicken

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces

[snip]

Rosemary would work. So would tarragon. If it were me, I'd use thyme,

Mmmm, thyme does sound good.

but then again my thyme plant has gotten so big I find I am using thyme
almost daily. I wonder if it can be divided? -aem

You could send me some... ;-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 21-11-2005, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

S'mee wrote:
I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

Honey-Mustard Chicken

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces

The problem with fresh rosemary is the textu too pine needle-ish to
chew. I'd go with tarragon, myself, but could also picture cilantro or
parsley. You could skip the herb altogether. The recipe would still work.

--Lia

Old 21-11-2005, 06:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The problem with fresh rosemary is the textu too pine needle-ish to
chew. I'd go with tarragon, myself, but could also picture cilantro or
parsley. You could skip the herb altogether. The recipe would still work.

i dont know about cilantro in a honey mustard
but if you're contemplating tarragon, why not some finely minced
fennel,
or crushed/ground fennel seed?

Old 21-11-2005, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"aem" wrote in message
ups.com...

S'mee wrote:
I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

Honey-Mustard Chicken

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces

[snip]
Rosemary would work. So would tarragon. If it were me, I'd use thyme,
but then again my thyme plant has gotten so big I find I am using thyme
almost daily. I wonder if it can be divided? -aem

I agree with the tarragon - DO you like the flavor of Anise? To me that id the
undertone of tarragon. You could also use a pinch of Poultry spice (Usually
parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme)

Dimitri

Old 21-11-2005, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
S'mee wrote:
I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

Honey-Mustard Chicken

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces

The problem with fresh rosemary is the textu too pine needle-ish
to chew. I'd go with tarragon, myself, but could also picture
cilantro or parsley. You could skip the herb altogether. The recipe
would still work.

My DH likes the flavour of rosemary but not the needles in his mouth.
Now, unless I use a whole branch on the food and remove it after
cooking, I dry the rosemary and grind it in a pepper/herb mill

Old 21-11-2005, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Donna Pattee

In article ,
S'mee wrote:
[...]

I don't think I would like dill in that recipe. I would be tempted to
try ginger or turmeric. Can't think of any herbs that sound good . . .
Old 21-11-2005, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

S'mee wrote:
I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

snip

Finely chopped fresh ginger. Yum.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Old 21-11-2005, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

Julia Altshuler wrote:

The problem with fresh rosemary is the textu too pine needle-ish to
chew. I'd go with tarragon, myself, but could also picture cilantro or
parsley. You could skip the herb altogether. The recipe would still work.

--Lia

If you can get very fresh twig tips, they are much more tender than older
leaves.
Edrena

Old 21-11-2005, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
redjac

Does it require an herb? Just omit the dill and be done with it.

Old 21-11-2005, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ted Campanelli

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
[...]

Here is a similar recipe that I have. As you can see, 1 tsp of thyme
and 1 tsp of marjoram should work just as well.

Bistro Chicken with Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

4 (6 oz) skinned chicken breast halves
1/4 cup stone ground mustard (such as Plochman’s Natural Stone Ground
Mustard - see note)
1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 baking potatoes, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
˝ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
cooking spray
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/3 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup dry white wine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16 oz) can fat-free, less sodium, chicken broth
1 ˝ teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Cover and marinate
in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.

2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees

3. Combine potatoes and the next 4 ingredients (potatoes through
pepper) in a medium bowl; toss well. Arrange potatoes on a baking
sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 30
minutes or until tender.

4. While potatoes are baking, prepare chicken. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in
a large Dutch oven (or large frying pan WITH a cover) over medium-high
heat. Add onion and sauté 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and
bring to a boil. Stir in garlic. Place chicken, breast sides up, on
top of onion. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to
medium, and cook 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken
from pan with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Bring broth mixture to a
boil, and and cook until reduced to 2 cups (about 12 - 15 minutes).
Combine cornstarch and water; add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 1
minute, stirring constantly.

Pour sauce over the chicken. Serve with roasted potatoes. Yield: 4
servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half about 1/3 cup sauce and 4
potato wedges).

NOTE:
The difference between Stone Ground Mustard and regular Mustard is
garlic. I use regular mustard and add 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder to it.
(1/8 tsp garlic powder = 1 clove garlic).
For those of you who would prefer a milder (not as “mustardy”) taste -
add 2 oz of honey to the mustard marinade. I also make more potatoes -
4 wedges is not enough for me. One final note -
crushing the rosemary is a PAIN, but necessary for even coating of the
potatoes.

Old 21-11-2005, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

S'mee wrote:

I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?

As others have mentioned, thyme, tarragon, or marjoram. Basil would work
fine as well, especially with the orange-marmalade variation. The recipe
seems to invite garlic (or asafetida), too. Heck, it'd be good -- though
very different -- if you used 1/4 cup of chopped pecans instead of the dill.

Bob