Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Probably a mad suggestion

A number of years ago when the petrol strike was on I filled up my demi
johns with petrol (I know I was desperate) as I had not used them for years
to make wine. Believe it or not I still have them. Anyone with any
suggestion as to cleaning them or would the petrol linger in the taste of
the wine.

Rodders

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Rodders" > wrote in message
>A number of years ago when the petrol strike was on I filled up my demi
>johns with petrol (I know I was desperate) as I had not used them for years
>to make wine. Believe it or not I still have them. Anyone with any
>suggestion as to cleaning them or would the petrol linger in the taste of
>the wine.
>
> Rodders

Presuming glass.....

First, a good thorough washing with dish detergent and hot water. Then a
liberal dose of bicarbonate of soda with hot water and let stand for a
couple days then see if there is a whiff of petrol left in the bottle. If
so, dump in a quantity of fish-tank-filter charcoal, make a slurry with
water and give it a good soaking again this time stirring it up so as to
soak the sides well.
--
Galwaf ar fy nhgyd-Gymry i sefyll yn y bwlch!

Casey

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Rodders wrote:
> A number of years ago when the petrol strike was on I filled up my demi
> johns with petrol (I know I was desperate) as I had not used them for years
> to make wine. Believe it or not I still have them. Anyone with any
> suggestion as to cleaning them or would the petrol linger in the taste of
> the wine.
>
> Rodders

If it is a plastic demi-john you will never get it back to the way it
was. Some kinds of glass ones hold on to lingering flavors and even a
lot of detergent it will always have an "off" taste. You should get new
demi-johns. You'll be glad you did.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I kind of agree. New carboys might be best. Another thing you might try is
using some vegitable oil It will disolve and absorbe some oil based
substances that soap has trouble with. Then you can use soap to remove the
vegitable oil. I sometimes use vegitable oil to wash my hands with before
washing with soap when I get some things including saps from trees or fruit.
It might be worth a try. No guarantee.

Ray

"Murray Clark" > wrote in message
> Rodders wrote:
>> A number of years ago when the petrol strike was on I filled up my demi
>> johns with petrol (I know I was desperate) as I had not used them for
>> years to make wine. Believe it or not I still have them. Anyone with any
>> suggestion as to cleaning them or would the petrol linger in the taste of
>> the wine.
>>
>> Rodders

> If it is a plastic demi-john you will never get it back to the way it was.
> Some kinds of glass ones hold on to lingering flavors and even a lot of
> detergent it will always have an "off" taste. You should get new
> demi-johns. You'll be glad you did.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Casey Wilson wrote:

> "Rodders" > wrote in message
>
>>A number of years ago when the petrol strike was on I filled up my demi
>>johns with petrol (I know I was desperate) as I had not used them for years
>>to make wine. Believe it or not I still have them. Anyone with any
>>suggestion as to cleaning them or would the petrol linger in the taste of
>>the wine.
>>
>>Rodders

> Presuming glass.....
>
> First, a good thorough washing with dish detergent and hot water. Then a
> liberal dose of bicarbonate of soda with hot water and let stand for a
> couple days then see if there is a whiff of petrol left in the bottle. If
> so, dump in a quantity of fish-tank-filter charcoal, make a slurry with
> water and give it a good soaking again this time stirring it up so as to
> soak the sides well.

I think that acticated carbon/ charcoal is the way to go. If you can get
deodorising carbon then use it. There is also a type of carbon which is
decolorising. Use your nose afterwards. Can you smell petrol! Glass I
think you can clean. If they were plastic then burn them!

James.