Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ted Campanelli

Default Herb Suggestion?

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> I found the following recipe in my files -- DH & DS want to try it,
> but I simply cannot stand dill. Any suggestions for a different but
> appropriate herb to take its place? I'm thinking rosemary, but I
> dunno; what goes well with honey and mustard?
>
> Honey-Mustard Chicken
>
> 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
> 1/3 cup honey
> 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
> 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
> 1 2.5 pound chicken, cut into pieces
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Comine mustard and honey in a small
> bowl. Stir in dill and orange peel. Line a baking sheet with foil.
> Place chicken, skin-side down, on prepared pan. Brush sauce on top
> of chicken, coat well. Turn chicken over. Gently pull back skin and
> brush meat with sauce. Gently pull skin back into place. Brush skin
> with remaining sauce. Bake until juices run clear when thickest portion
> of meat is pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes.
>
> Make ahead: Make the hone-mustard sauce ahead of time as directed;
> keep refrigerated until ready to use. Store in an airtight container
> for up to 1 week.
>
> Variation: Give the chicken a wonderful tangy tasted by adding 2
> tablespoons of orange marmalage to the sauce.

Here is a similar recipe that I have. As you can see, 1 tsp of thyme
and 1 tsp of marjoram should work just as well.

Bistro Chicken with Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

4 (6 oz) skinned chicken breast halves
1/4 cup stone ground mustard (such as Plochman’s Natural Stone Ground
Mustard - see note)
1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 baking potatoes, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
˝ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
cooking spray
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/3 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup dry white wine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16 oz) can fat-free, less sodium, chicken broth
1 ˝ teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Cover and marinate
in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.

2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees

3. Combine potatoes and the next 4 ingredients (potatoes through
pepper) in a medium bowl; toss well. Arrange potatoes on a baking
sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 30
minutes or until tender.

4. While potatoes are baking, prepare chicken. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in
a large Dutch oven (or large frying pan WITH a cover) over medium-high
heat. Add onion and sauté 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and
bring to a boil. Stir in garlic. Place chicken, breast sides up, on
top of onion. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to
medium, and cook 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken
from pan with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Bring broth mixture to a
boil, and and cook until reduced to 2 cups (about 12 - 15 minutes).
Combine cornstarch and water; add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 1
minute, stirring constantly.

Pour sauce over the chicken. Serve with roasted potatoes. Yield: 4
servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half about 1/3 cup sauce and 4
potato wedges).

NOTE:
The difference between Stone Ground Mustard and regular Mustard is
garlic. I use regular mustard and add 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder to it.
(1/8 tsp garlic powder = 1 clove garlic).
For those of you who would prefer a milder (not as “mustardy”) taste -
add 2 oz of honey to the mustard marinade. I also make more potatoes -
4 wedges is not enough for me. One final note -
crushing the rosemary is a PAIN, but necessary for even coating of the
potatoes.