Doug Kanter

Default Deli Department Nonsense

Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
the same supermarket chain.

What's with these people?

Dave Smith

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
> the same supermarket chain.

I have no use for transparent cold cuts and sliced cheese. The people are the
deli counters always ask me how thick I want it.

Dimitri

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
news
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to make
> a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something, this
> seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless I tell
> the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of the same
> supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

What's with you?

All you need to do is tell the deli clerk you do not want it shaved and you want
it "thicker" than normal where its appropriate. When you get the thickness you
like ask the clerk "What is the setting on the slicer?", he/she will give you
the dialed number like "almost 2" from then on in its a no brainer The next time
you say "I'd like a pound of the turkey Pastrami sliced at almost 2" Shaved
is great for some very strong or salty cured meats but not for everything.

Dimitri

Richard Kaszeta

"Doug Kanter" > writes:
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich?

I don't like my meat sliced that thin, but I do like my provolone
sliced about that thin (if it's thicker, I don't like the texture as
much, and it doesn't add more to the sandwich, IMHO).

I used to have the opposite problem; when I lived in TN and MN, the
vast majority of grocery stores wouldn't slice to order at all. All
the cold cuts were pre-sliced, and if you didn't like honkin' 1/8"
slices of cheese in roughly 1/4" increments, then you were SOL. I
made it a special point to go to the one grocery store near me (the
Roseville Byerly's, for you Twin Cities folks) that sliced to order.

Although this is a regional thing, here in New England virtually every
place slices to order, even the low-end chains.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
scrooge

Don't know what their problem is, but my Child Bride is amongst them.
She really believes there's more flavor in thin slices piled up than
thicker slices of the same size.
This is one of many attitudes we don't share after 49 years married.
Scrooge

Doug Kanter wrote:
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
> the same supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

Doug Kanter

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> news
>> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you
>> can read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of
>> it to make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around
>> something, this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of
>> the time unless I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5
>> different locations of the same supermarket chain.
>>
>> What's with these people?

> What's with you?
>
> All you need to do is tell the deli clerk you do not want it shaved and
> you want it "thicker" than normal where its appropriate.

But, there's the question! Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I
mean, who the hell wants it that way? :-)

Doug Kanter

I'd divorce her immediately. That's horrible. :-)

"scrooge" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Don't know what their problem is, but my Child Bride is amongst them.
> She really believes there's more flavor in thin slices piled up than
> thicker slices of the same size.
> This is one of many attitudes we don't share after 49 years married.
> Scrooge
>
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you
>> can
>> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
>> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around
>> something,
>> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time
>> unless
>> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
>> the same supermarket chain.
>>
>> What's with these people?

Margaret Suran

Dave Smith wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>

>>Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
>>read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
>>make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
>>this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
>>I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
>>the same supermarket chain.

> I have no use for transparent cold cuts and sliced cheese. The people are the
> deli counters always ask me how thick I want it.

It depends on what kind of deli meat it is. When it comes to imported
Hungarian salami, I like it as thin as possible, paper thin and nearly
transparent. I like prosciutto the same way, no matter for what I use
it.

As for bologna and other meats of that family, I like a much thicker
slice, as thick as 1/8 th of an inch. There are so many different
kinds of ham, some should be sliced thicker and some thinner.

When it comes to Jewish deli meats, pastrami, brisket, corned beef and
such, not too thick and not too thin is the best.

I seldom eat any of these meats and therefore should not be all that
fussy about how they should be sliced.
Nancy Young

"Doug Kanter" > wrote

> But, there's the question! Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I
> mean, who the hell wants it that way? :-)

Funny, when I make stromboli, it requires quite a bit of
pepperoni sliced very thin ... you can see them wilt at the
thought of that order. I mean, it's more work for them,
why wouldn't they want to slice cold cuts thicker?

nancy

Doug Kanter

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> It depends on what kind of deli meat it is.

That's the problem, really. The deli clerks don't notice that some meats &
cheese become unmanageable when sliced too thin. It's OK to say, just ONCE
"Well, my family never bought that specific thing, so I didn't know". But
after that....how dumb do they have to be to not notice what's happening to
the food right in front of their eyes?

I'm almost done ranting.....

Nancy Young

"Richard Kaszeta" > wrote

> I used to have the opposite problem; when I lived in TN and MN, the
> vast majority of grocery stores wouldn't slice to order at all. All
> the cold cuts were pre-sliced,

Stop right there. That is horrible, who knows how long ago it
was sliced. Made me shudder to think about it, that is just lame.
Makes me think of a stale deli platter. Yuck. Sliced fresh, or
I'll buy a slicer and make my own.

nancy

Debbie

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
news | I'd divorce her immediately. That's horrible. :-)

What???? Before the big 50th anniversary party???

Debbie

~john

I've never been to a deli where they didn't ask you how thick you'd
slick your meat/cheese sliced...

Dan Abel

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . ..

> > All you need to do is tell the deli clerk you do not want it shaved and
> > you want it "thicker" than normal where its appropriate.

> But, there's the question! Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I
> mean, who the hell wants it that way? :-)

I guess most people in your area like it thin. I know I do. The flavor
is much better.

In my area, they seldom ask you, but are happy enough to oblige when you
remember to ask.
Dave Smith

"L, not -L" wrote:

> The thin slice setting will work well for any cut of meat, where thick won't
> - therefore, thin is the default. If nobody complains, the store saves time
> by not having to change the setting - on a busy day, that can reduce wait
> time and/or staff size. You might complain about preferring your meat
> thicker, but you won't complain about thin-sliced being too tough to eat.
> If it were cut thick, resulting in it being too tough - you'd likely bring
> it back for a refund.

There is thin and then there is thin. One of the local grocery store deli
counters has pre sliced "shaved" cold cuts. They are ridiculously thin, okay for
grabbing a handful to put on a sandwich.

Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
> the same supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

Can't you speak?

Something wrong with your story. An experienced deli clerk will know
about the range of thickness applicable for each product... you must
shop from a chain that hires itinerate pimplely faced teens as deli
clerks. Every deli I've ever been to the clerk holds up the first
slice and asks if it's ok... most will actually offer the first slice
as a taste and at that point the thickness is agreed upon (I don't ever
accept a taste, don't want to spend the next few hours with salami
breath and in need of dental floss). Actually at most delis I've
frequented the clerk initially dials in a thin slice and tosses that
one in the trash... that exposed surface is considered highly
contaminated, especially from those delis that wrap the end with
plastic wrap and never change it over the entire length (high quality
delis never wrap the ends). One shouldn't buy more sliced to order
cold cuts than will be consumed within two days... deli slicer blades
even if wiped clean are unclean, the face of every slice is
contaminated by the slicing and should be consumed as soon as possible.
Packaged cold cuts like Oscar Meyer are sliced and packaged
robotically in a clean room environment... once opened those type have
a much longer shelf life than sliced to order from the deli, but they
taste so awful I have to wonder why any germs would want to visit.

In any event I always inform the deli clerk about the thickness I want
at the same time I place my order... problem solved.

Sheldon

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin,
>> you can read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate
>> enough of it to make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to
>> wrap around something, this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be
>> what I get most of the time unless I tell the deli clerk otherwise.
>> And, this is in 5 different locations of the same supermarket chain.
>>
>> What's with these people?

> Can't you speak?
>
> Something wrong with your story. An experienced deli clerk will know
> about the range of thickness applicable for each product... you must
> shop from a chain that hires itinerate pimplely faced teens as deli
> clerks. Every deli I've ever been to the clerk holds up the first
> slice and asks if it's ok...

(snippage)
> Sheldon

I've even seen them do this at the little family owned market down the
street. It's not a "real deli". They carry a variety of lunch type meats
in the cool-case; bologna, ham, turkey, salami, like that, and various
cheeses for sandwiches. They get a lot of construction guys who come in to
buy a sandwich or two to take for lunch in their coolers. I've seen the
woman behind the counter do exactly as you say before she bothers to slice
off enough for a sandwich or even to make up a small package if the person
just wants some meat and/or cheese. They have a separate slicer for the
cheeses, too.

Jill

Bob Terwilliger

Doug wrote:

> Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I mean, who the hell wants it
> that way? :-)

Not exactly pertinent to the discussion because of the raw/cooked
distinction, but I have lots of uses for beef which is sliced that thinly. I
recently had an interesting pho: The meat had been thinly sliced and then
piled up so that it was a block of sliced meat about the size of a half-deck
of cards. That block was put into the soup bowl and boiling-hot broth was
poured over, so that the middle of the block was rare while the outer parts
were medium. And of course, carpaccio is supposed to be thin.

Bob

Denny Wheeler

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:51:27 -0400, "Debbie" >
wrote:

>"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>news >| I'd divorce her immediately. That's horrible. :-)
>|

>What???? Before the big 50th anniversary party???

Save all the money the party'd cost. <g>
--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
Doug Kanter

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Doug wrote:
>
>> Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I mean, who the hell wants it
>> that way? :-)

> Not exactly pertinent to the discussion because of the raw/cooked
> distinction, but I have lots of uses for beef which is sliced that thinly.
> I recently had an interesting pho: The meat had been thinly sliced and
> then piled up so that it was a block of sliced meat about the size of a
> half-deck of cards. That block was put into the soup bowl and boiling-hot
> broth was poured over, so that the middle of the block was rare while the
> outer parts were medium. And of course, carpaccio is supposed to be thin.
>
> Bob

Sounds pretty tasty. What kind of broth?

jmcquown

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:51:27 -0400, "Debbie" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> I'd divorce her immediately. That's horrible. :-)
>>>

>> What???? Before the big 50th anniversary party???

> Save all the money the party'd cost. <g>

Not if someone else threw the party

For Doug, the OP, I prefer deli corned beef shaved and piled high for a
sandwich rather than a slab of corned beef on a roll. But that's just me.

Jill

Bob Terwilliger

Doug replied:

>> I recently had an interesting pho: The meat had been thinly sliced and
>> then piled up so that it was a block of sliced meat about the size of a
>> half-deck of cards. That block was put into the soup bowl and boiling-hot
>> broth was poured over, so that the middle of the block was rare while the
>> outer parts were medium. And of course, carpaccio is supposed to be
>> thin.

> Sounds pretty tasty. What kind of broth?

It's a light beef broth. I'm not sure what all the restaurant put into it,
but when I make it the broth contains beef, bones, ginger, star anise, stick
cinnamon, and fish sauce.

Bob

Victor Sack

Doug Kanter > wrote:

> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
> the same supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

Exactly, and it is not just the meat. However, this is what a lot of
people really want, because it looks like much but costs little - that
is why it has become the default, I think. So, it is up to you to
request thicker slices - it should never be a problem. Here is what I
posted five or six years ago:

As far as I'm concerned, cutting salmon, sausages, etc. in paper-thin
slices is a travesty. It serves only one purpose - to cover as much of
the plate with as little of the stuff as possible. Looks like a lot,
but costs little and tastes hardly of anything, so thin it is. The best
smoked salmon I ever ate was on a farm in Finland - they served
veritable *slabs* of it - and very good quality it was, too. Once you
taste it that way, you'll never want to go back to thin slices. At
least that's what happened to me.

Victor
Chris

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin,
>> you can
>> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of
>> it to
>> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around
>> something,
>> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time
>> unless
>> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different
>> locations of
>> the same supermarket chain.

The pre-sliced deli meat that I see in the case at the supermarket deli
is usually sliced thin, but not superthin. It's too thin for making a
deli platter -- you can't separate the slices neatly. But sometimes
it's too thick for my toddler, who likes it thin and shredded (not that
he eats it much).

As for how long it's been there -- I usually shop before 7 a.m., and
that's when the deli folks are just getting there and starting to slice
things. They slice up a whole bunch of whatever's on sale and will move
quickly. And I would bet it goes quickly, because they replace those
"pre-sliced" piles throughout the day. The less-oft-purchased meats and
cheese are sliced to order. (That's at Giant...at Harris Teeter,
everything seems to be sliced to order).

What bothers me about the deli case is the salads and side dishes in the
case. They are displayed in huge bowls, but they all look like they
have been sitting around and have crusted over and congealed...whether
it's potato salad, hummos, or whatever, they all look as though they
were left uncovered for a long time. No way I'd buy any of that!

And yet at Whole Foods, their salads, dips, and sides look (and taste)
very fresh, but are also stored in open bowls inside a glass case.
Could it be a difference in the humidty inside the case?

Nancy Young

"Chris" > wrote

> What bothers me about the deli case is the salads and side dishes in the
> case. They are displayed in huge bowls, but they all look like they have
> been sitting around and have crusted over and congealed...whether it's
> potato salad, hummos, or whatever, they all look as though they were left
> uncovered for a long time. No way I'd buy any of that!
>
> And yet at Whole Foods, their salads, dips, and sides look (and taste)
> very fresh, but are also stored in open bowls inside a glass case. Could
> it be a difference in the humidty inside the case?

The second I read 'salads and side dishes ...' I thought, ugh, those
always look old and god knows what or how long ... I would never
consider them. They don't look even remotely appetizing, they just
look tired and icky. So, I thought, I'll say about the stuff at Whole
Foods, I would definitely consider the..... hey! and you said it first.
Made me laugh.

Yes, they look like two different things altogether. Whole Foods
stuff looks fresh and delicious. No relation to the supermarket stuff,
and I don't know how they do that. Turnover?

nancy

MareCat

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
news
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin,
> you can read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate
> enough of it to make a sandwich?

<raising hand> For some meats, anyway...

I like ham and roast beef sliced super thin ("shaved"), and I request it
that way. Turkey, chicken, cheeses, and other items I get sliced thin,
but not transparent.

> Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something, this seems
> ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless I
> tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations
> of the same supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

Dunno, but seems like you could maybe tell them how you want it sliced,
if they don't ask you??? (I can't remember the last time a deli clerk
didn't ask me how I wanted something sliced...)

Mary

GO 'STROS!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> But, there's the question! Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I
> mean, who the hell wants it that way? :-)

Me.

My wife too.

Shaved or nearly so, brings out the flavor better when piled on a good piece
of bread. The only reason the deli clerks slice meat thick is because they
are lazy and can cut less slices per pound. Any serous sandwich is made
with thin sliced meats.

Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

> An experienced deli clerk will know
> about the range of thickness applicable for each product... you must
> shop from a chain that hires itinerate pimplely faced teens as deli
> clerks.

That is probably 90% of the supermarkets. When I go to a real deli, the
experience is far different that going to the local su permarket.

Dave Smith

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> >
> > But, there's the question! Why is the slicer set on "shave" so often? I
> > mean, who the hell wants it that way? :-)

> Me.
>
> My wife too.
>
> Shaved or nearly so, brings out the flavor better when piled on a good piece
> of bread. The only reason the deli clerks slice meat thick is because they
> are lazy and can cut less slices per pound. Any serous sandwich is made
> with thin sliced meats.

Shaving it is a trick used to make a little bit of meat look like a lot. You
will see this especially in sub shops where they used what appears to be a huge
wad of meat but turns out to be just a bunch of paper thin slices curled up to
give it bulk.

Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Doug Kanter > wrote:
>

>>Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
>>read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
>>make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
>>this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
>>I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
>>the same supermarket chain.
>>
>>What's with these people?

> Exactly, and it is not just the meat. However, this is what a lot of
> people really want, because it looks like much but costs little - that
> is why it has become the default, I think. So, it is up to you to
> request thicker slices - it should never be a problem. Here is what I
> posted five or six years ago:
>
> As far as I'm concerned, cutting salmon, sausages, etc. in paper-thin
> slices is a travesty. It serves only one purpose - to cover as much of
> the plate with as little of the stuff as possible. Looks like a lot,
> but costs little and tastes hardly of anything, so thin it is. The best
> smoked salmon I ever ate was on a farm in Finland - they served
> veritable *slabs* of it - and very good quality it was, too. Once you
> taste it that way, you'll never want to go back to thin slices. At
> least that's what happened to me.
>
> Victor

Bubba Vic, How do you like your prosciutto? Do you really like thick
slices? Or, Hungarian Salami? Lachsschinken? Rauchfleisch? Come
on, travesty or not, these are best if sliced as thinly as possible.

Chris

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Chris" > wrote
>
>> What bothers me about the deli case is the salads and side dishes in
>> the case. They are displayed in huge bowls, but they all look like
>> they have been sitting around and have crusted over and
>> congealed...whether it's potato salad, hummos, or whatever, they all
>> look as though they were left uncovered for a long time. No way I'd
>> buy any of that!
>>
>> And yet at Whole Foods, their salads, dips, and sides look (and
>> taste) very fresh, but are also stored in open bowls inside a glass
>> case. Could it be a difference in the humidty inside the case?

> The second I read 'salads and side dishes ...' I thought, ugh, those
> always look old and god knows what or how long ... I would never
> consider them. They don't look even remotely appetizing, they just
> look tired and icky. So, I thought, I'll say about the stuff at Whole
> Foods, I would definitely consider the..... hey! and you said it
> first.
> Made me laugh.
>
> Yes, they look like two different things altogether. Whole Foods
> stuff looks fresh and delicious. No relation to the supermarket
> stuff,
> and I don't know how they do that. Turnover?

I guess so, but the size of some of those platters and bowls at WF is
pretty huge, and they always look full. I wonder how much stuff they
throw out or otherwise get rid of at the end of the day. (Hmm,...do
they have any 8:45 p.m. specials??)

The only problem I have w/ WF salads is that they don't cook their beans
enough for my tastes. Otherwise, their prepared foods are a real treat.

Charles Gifford

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> It depends on what kind of deli meat it is. When it comes to imported
> Hungarian salami, I like it as thin as possible, paper thin and nearly
> transparent.

My dear Margaret! Have I been gauche all these years? I tend to eat
Hungarian salami by the hunk. I am a well known glutton, but I hope not a
total barbarian. I've been known to peel the wrapping down and bite chunks
off a whole salami. It is so very nice with a good Pilsners or a glass or
two of Mouton Cadet.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
news
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you

can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time

unless
> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
> the same supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

I think it is a recent phenomena. A fad, as it were. This too will pass. I
think that any deli worthy of the name would always ask the patron how they
would like it sliced. My favorite Italian grocery isn't a deli, but I
sometimes want my pancetta in thinish slices and sometimes in a width that
is good for dicing it. They always ask in case I forget.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message

> Exactly, and it is not just the meat. However, this is what a lot of
> people really want, because it looks like much but costs little - that
> is why it has become the default, I think. So, it is up to you to
> request thicker slices - it should never be a problem. Here is what I
> posted five or six years ago:
>
> As far as I'm concerned, cutting salmon, sausages, etc. in paper-thin
> slices is a travesty. It serves only one purpose - to cover as much of
> the plate with as little of the stuff as possible. Looks like a lot,
> but costs little and tastes hardly of anything, so thin it is. The best
> smoked salmon I ever ate was on a farm in Finland - they served
> veritable *slabs* of it - and very good quality it was, too. Once you
> taste it that way, you'll never want to go back to thin slices. At
> least that's what happened to me.
>
> Victor

Bubba! Bubba! No wonder I cherish you! I too prefer a thicker cut. Well,
except for the smoked salmon perhaps. The best I ever had was in Ireland.
Wild salmon fresh from the smoker, medium sliced and heaped on country
bread. Not too thin and not too thick --- certainly not slabs, but not wimpy
thin stuff I've found elsewhere. Admittedly, I haven't had salmon in Finland
yet. I dislike artsy-fartsy food. Give me some substance.

Charlie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Shaving it is a trick used to make a little bit of meat look like a lot.
> You
> will see this especially in sub shops where they used what appears to be a
> huge
> wad of meat but turns out to be just a bunch of paper thin slices curled
> up to
> give it bulk.

While that may be true, IMO, it still makes for a better sandwich for the
eating.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 06 Oct 2005 08:31:28p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>> Shaving it is a trick used to make a little bit of meat look like a
>> lot. You
>> will see this especially in sub shops where they used what appears to
>> be a huge wad of meat but turns out to be just a bunch of paper thin
>> slices curled up to
>> give it bulk.

> While that may be true, IMO, it still makes for a better sandwich for
> the eating.

As with most things, it's personal preference. To me, a pile of shaved
meat has the texture of a sponge. I'd rather have it cut in recognizable
slices.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
-L.

Doug Kanter wrote:
> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
> read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
> make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
> this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
> I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
> the same supermarket chain.
>
> What's with these people?

I hate that stuff. I always ask them to slice it fresh on a #2
setting. (When I buy it which isn't often - we make our own at home.)
-L.

Andy

Chris wrote:

> As for how long it's been there -- I usually shop before 7 a.m., and
> that's when the deli folks are just getting there and starting to slice
> things. They slice up a whole bunch of whatever's on sale and will move
> quickly.

For the cold cuts and cheeses, the deli folks always slice to order. I've
never seen them weigh out from a pile of something. It would be
questionable what you're getting if you didn't "see it with your own eyes."

Andy
Dan Abel

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> > As for how long it's been there -- I usually shop before 7 a.m., and
> > that's when the deli folks are just getting there and starting to slice
> > things. They slice up a whole bunch of whatever's on sale and will move
> > quickly.

> For the cold cuts and cheeses, the deli folks always slice to order. I've
> never seen them weigh out from a pile of something. It would be
> questionable what you're getting if you didn't "see it with your own eyes."

When the local Safeway last remodeled, they started selling deli stuff
out of piles. Makes sense to me. They're sitting around twiddling
their thumbs (actually cleaning up) for much of the day, but dealing
with long lines before mealtimes. Why not slice the most popular stuff
when they don't have lines, so people don't have to wait as long?
Sheldon

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >, Andy <q>
> wrote:
>
> > Chris wrote:
> >
> > > As for how long it's been there -- I usually shop before 7 a.m., and
> > > that's when the deli folks are just getting there and starting to slice
> > > things. They slice up a whole bunch of whatever's on sale and will move
> > > quickly.

> > For the cold cuts and cheeses, the deli folks always slice to order. I've
> > never seen them weigh out from a pile of something. It would be
> > questionable what you're getting if you didn't "see it with your own eyes."

> When the local Safeway last remodeled, they started selling deli stuff
> out of piles. Makes sense to me. They're sitting around twiddling
> their thumbs (actually cleaning up) for much of the day, but dealing
> with long lines before mealtimes. Why not slice the most popular stuff
> when they don't have lines, so people don't have to wait as long?

But then they're not freshly sliced and anyone who buys pre-sliced cold
cuts has no idea how much time has elapsed since it they were sliced,
and from the moment cold cuts are sliced they are contaminated and have
at the very most, and under the best of conditions, a 48 hour shelf
life before they should be tossed lest one risks a good case of the
shits.

I would never buy/eat cold cuts that I didn't see being freshly sliced
right in front of me.

Sheldon