Margaret Suran

Dave Smith wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>

>>Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin, you can
>>read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate enough of it to
>>make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to wrap around something,
>>this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be what I get most of the time unless
>>I tell the deli clerk otherwise. And, this is in 5 different locations of
>>the same supermarket chain.

> I have no use for transparent cold cuts and sliced cheese. The people are the
> deli counters always ask me how thick I want it.

It depends on what kind of deli meat it is. When it comes to imported
Hungarian salami, I like it as thin as possible, paper thin and nearly
transparent. I like prosciutto the same way, no matter for what I use
it.

As for bologna and other meats of that family, I like a much thicker
slice, as thick as 1/8 th of an inch. There are so many different
kinds of ham, some should be sliced thicker and some thinner.

When it comes to Jewish deli meats, pastrami, brisket, corned beef and
such, not too thick and not too thin is the best.

I seldom eat any of these meats and therefore should not be all that
fussy about how they should be sliced.