jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> Time for a show of hands. Who likes their deli meat sliced so thin,
>> you can read text through it, but it takes 10 minutes to separate
>> enough of it to make a sandwich? Unless you're buying prosciutto to
>> wrap around something, this seems ridiculous, but it seems to be
>> what I get most of the time unless I tell the deli clerk otherwise.
>> And, this is in 5 different locations of the same supermarket chain.
>>
>> What's with these people?

> Can't you speak?
>
> Something wrong with your story. An experienced deli clerk will know
> about the range of thickness applicable for each product... you must
> shop from a chain that hires itinerate pimplely faced teens as deli
> clerks. Every deli I've ever been to the clerk holds up the first
> slice and asks if it's ok...

(snippage)
> Sheldon

I've even seen them do this at the little family owned market down the
street. It's not a "real deli". They carry a variety of lunch type meats
in the cool-case; bologna, ham, turkey, salami, like that, and various
cheeses for sandwiches. They get a lot of construction guys who come in to
buy a sandwich or two to take for lunch in their coolers. I've seen the
woman behind the counter do exactly as you say before she bothers to slice
off enough for a sandwich or even to make up a small package if the person
just wants some meat and/or cheese. They have a separate slicer for the
cheeses, too.

Jill