Sheldon

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >, Andy <q>
> wrote:
>
> > Chris wrote:
> >
> > > As for how long it's been there -- I usually shop before 7 a.m., and
> > > that's when the deli folks are just getting there and starting to slice
> > > things. They slice up a whole bunch of whatever's on sale and will move
> > > quickly.

> > For the cold cuts and cheeses, the deli folks always slice to order. I've
> > never seen them weigh out from a pile of something. It would be
> > questionable what you're getting if you didn't "see it with your own eyes."

> When the local Safeway last remodeled, they started selling deli stuff
> out of piles. Makes sense to me. They're sitting around twiddling
> their thumbs (actually cleaning up) for much of the day, but dealing
> with long lines before mealtimes. Why not slice the most popular stuff
> when they don't have lines, so people don't have to wait as long?

But then they're not freshly sliced and anyone who buys pre-sliced cold
cuts has no idea how much time has elapsed since it they were sliced,
and from the moment cold cuts are sliced they are contaminated and have
at the very most, and under the best of conditions, a 48 hour shelf
life before they should be tossed lest one risks a good case of the
shits.

I would never buy/eat cold cuts that I didn't see being freshly sliced
right in front of me.

Sheldon