Dan Abel

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> > As for how long it's been there -- I usually shop before 7 a.m., and
> > that's when the deli folks are just getting there and starting to slice
> > things. They slice up a whole bunch of whatever's on sale and will move
> > quickly.

> For the cold cuts and cheeses, the deli folks always slice to order. I've
> never seen them weigh out from a pile of something. It would be
> questionable what you're getting if you didn't "see it with your own eyes."

When the local Safeway last remodeled, they started selling deli stuff
out of piles. Makes sense to me. They're sitting around twiddling
their thumbs (actually cleaning up) for much of the day, but dealing
with long lines before mealtimes. Why not slice the most popular stuff
when they don't have lines, so people don't have to wait as long?