Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Putting one more bit of nonsense to bed once and for all

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...er_can_chicken.
html

monroe(heh)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11/14/2012 7:22 PM, monroe, of course wrote:

> http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...er_can_chicken.
> html
>
> monroe(heh)

I got nowhere with the link.

All I can say is that we like beer can chicken. We will continue to eat
beer can chicken. No self-appointed internet expert will convince me
otherwise.

Have a great Thanksgiving

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 14, 5:25*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 11/14/2012 7:22 PM, monroe, of course wrote:
>

> >http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...er_can_chicken..
> > html

> > monroe(heh)

> I got nowhere with the link.

the .html bit got wrapped.

Here's a tinyurl:

http://tinyurl.com/8whjvnn

> All I can say is that we like beer can chicken.

That's because you like beer and Denny likes your can.

>We will continue to eat
> beer can chicken. *No self-appointed internet expert will convince me
> otherwise.

Basically the case is if you actually use a beer can, your hindering
the cooking or the meat.

Never done it myself, we spatchcock, with an empty nest have been
doing more thighs than whole birds just recenly.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:50:06 -0800 (PST), tutall >
wrote:

>Never done it myself, we spatchcock, with an empty nest have been
>doing more thighs than whole birds just recenly.

Tried it once, it was OK. Like you, spatchcocked or pieces most of
the time.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11/14/2012 7:50 PM, tutall wrote:
> On Nov 14, 5:25 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> On 11/14/2012 7:22 PM, monroe, of course wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...er_can_chicken.
>>> html

>>> monroe(heh)

>> I got nowhere with the link.

> the .html bit got wrapped.
>
> Here's a tinyurl:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8whjvnn
>

>> All I can say is that we like beer can chicken.

> That's because you like beer and Denny likes your can.
>

>> We will continue to eat
>> beer can chicken. No self-appointed internet expert will convince me
>> otherwise.

> Basically the case is if you actually use a beer can, your hindering
> the cooking or the meat.

It doesn't seem to be true with what I make.

> Never done it myself, we spatchcock, with an empty nest have been
> doing more thighs than whole birds just recenly.

A recent house guest who had beer can chicken here for the first time
ever sent me the link. She said she would have believed it if she hadn't
tasted it for herself.

No one has ever gotten sick from the beer can chicken I serve. I always
use an instant read thermometer.

I just think someone wanted their 15 minutes of fame.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Friday, November 16, 2012 8:51:25 PM UTC-8, Janet Wilder wrote:

> A recent house guest who had beer can chicken here for the first time
>
> ever sent me the link. She said she would have believed it if she hadn't
>
> tasted it for herself.

That makes me think you'd cook delicious chicken any way you
try. The beer can isn't doing anything for you, really.

You could try A/B comparisons of beer can vs spatchcocked,
which is how I do it.

Cheers -
Dana

> No one has ever gotten sick from the beer can chicken I serve. I always
>
> use an instant read thermometer.
>

> I just think someone wanted their 15 minutes of fame.
>

> --
>
> Janet Wilder
>
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

One thing I noticed was that after saying that no-way would the beer get to
the temperature required to infuse the chicken, he adds - in a side bar -
about how a Chef at Weber does things differently:

"Then he leaves only about 1 or 2" of beer in the can, so most of the
liquid is in the section of can protruding out of the chicken. That allows
it to heat up to the boiling point so there can be steam."

Now, I am a relative novice (and a Brit, to boot), but this is exactly what
I have been doing all along. It's certainly what most recipes I have seen
instruct you to do.

It seems to me that the guy is making a strawman argument, in assuming that
people are putting a full can of beer up the cavity, and then arguing why
that amount of liquid is going to stop things getting hot in there.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chris Malme > wrote:

<snip>
> It seems to me that the guy is making a strawman argument, in assuming that
> people are putting a full can of beer up the cavity, and then arguing why
> that amount of liquid is going to stop things getting hot in there.
>
> Chris

Yabbut -beercan chicken as a stunt might be good for giggles and
showmanship once upon a time but I cannot fathom doing it twice.
Spatchcocking is soooooooo much easier and works soooooooo much better.

monroe(and there's less lacquer added)