Old 29-09-2010, 12:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
A ratings.

IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

Tell me if you agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

Old 29-09-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-09-28, ImStillMags wrote:

Tell me if you agree.

Since I'm not a member, I'm unable.

nb
Old 29-09-2010, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,

On 2010-09-28, ImStillMags wrote:

Tell me if you agree.

Since I'm not a member, I'm unable.

As an authorized member of the CABAL (TINC), hereby make you a member of
this group so you can tell us whether you agree or disagree with this
poster.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 29-09-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message
Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
A ratings.

IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

Tell me if you agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

I think it was totally silly for the author to even ask to be inspected in
the first place. There are too many differences between a home kitchen and
a public eating establishment. Especially when we're allowed to have pets
in our homes.

I'm not sure the purpose of the whole thing. But, it was an interesting
read. Thanks.

Old 29-09-2010, 02:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
A ratings.

IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

Tell me if you agree.

I agree. She was pretty picky.

No one has ever gotten sick or died from eating food cooked in my house.

Cracks in flooring could harbor bacteria? When is the last time you
cut something up or cooked it on your floor?

Cracks in cutting boards? Boards get cracks/slits every time you cut
something. Sanitize the board after using and have enough so you don't
have to reuse before sanitizing.

gloria p

Old 29-09-2010, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 5:36*pm, ImStillMags wrote:
Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
A ratings.

IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

Tell me if you agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

==
Yes, a bit much but after all she was supposed to be demonstrating the
standards required for restaurant food prep and she did bend at the
end and took pity on the homebody. The incorrect fridge temperature
was definitely a no-no and I do agree with the no cats in the kitchen
rule. Even when I had a dog she was not allowed in the kitchen except
for she was in transit.
==

Old 29-09-2010, 02:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 4:36*pm, ImStillMags wrote:
Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
A ratings.

IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

Tell me if you agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
wiped clean.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 7:36*pm, ImStillMags wrote:
Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
A ratings.

IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

Tell me if you agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

No, my kitchen would not pass. Some things that happen that I've
seen in health inspection reports (which used to be synopsized
in my local paper):

Food/drink consumed while cooking
Ready-to-eat food handled with bare hands
Fresh produce stored below raw meat in refrigerator
Foods not cooled properly
The hand towel. 'Nuff said.
No ice scoop.

On the plus side, I use a fresh towel for drying what few
dishes I wash by hand.

Since the woman in the article invited the inspector to
go over her kitchen as if it were a restaurant, I think
she was not over the top.

It was a stunt.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 29-09-2010, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 wrote:

Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
wiped clean.

The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen. You family is involved in your
kitchen and it includes the whole family, including pets.

Health Department regulations for industrial and institutional
kitchens are there for the protection of the public.
If you are conscious about proper food handling, refrigeration and
sanitation of sinks and surfaces in your home kitchen you are fine.

Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
pretty much everything very well.
If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
applicable to the home.

Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
out, etc. But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
kitchen make.

Old 29-09-2010, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 7:19*am, ImStillMags wrote:
[...]

I remember some more lessons from the SJMN article, applicable to
every kitchen. The biggest one we were doing wrong was storing food
next to cleaning supplies -- no storing food with poisons. Our past
two fridges have a fresh meat drawer below everything else, and I made
sure to get glass shelves instead of grates.to prevent items on one
shelf dripping on others. We;ve always used a separate (black) plastic
cuttingboard for meat, and I soak/wash it separately.

Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
pretty much everything very well.
If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
applicable to the home.

Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
out, etc. * But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
kitchen make.

The fact that cats can jump up on counters does creep me out. Our dog
stays on the floor.

Old 29-09-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 wrote:

Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
wiped clean.

The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen.

Most home kitchens are cleaner and adhere to far better food safety
standards than most restaurant kitchens... even trailer trash kitchens
are cleaner than the local fast food joint... and the more upscale the
eatery the more offensive their level of sanitation. Most
Institutional kitchens are reasonably sanitary but no restaurant
kitchen is... why do you think the health departments constantly
inspect... and even then it's politics as usual, most inspectors are
paid off (schmeared) to turn a blind eye... any restaurant that gets a
clean bill of health somehow schupt the inspector that month (cash
and/or a BJ goes a long way in any business dealings). Anytime there
are several cooks and other employees traipsing about and the public
involved it's impossible to keep sanitary. And health inspections
nowadays are extremely lax, even hospital ORs are more and more often
failing. Just because someone owns a restaurant doesn't impress me,
in fact that makes me much more suspect of their food handling
skills... those are whose home kitchen is a garbage dump.
Old 29-09-2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 29, 9:03*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
.. *

[...]

I'd love to know where you get your 'expertise' on restaurant
kitchens.
Old 29-09-2010, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:21:27 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

it *was* interesting, that was the purpose. also gives some insight on
what kitchen inspectors look at.

your pal,
blake
Old 29-09-2010, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:19:03 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

[...]

exactly. plus, if you do end up poisoning people, it's only your family or
friends, not dozens or hundreds of people.

your pal,
blake
Old 29-09-2010, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:03:33 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

ImStillMags wrote:

[...]

more ****ing rubbish from The World's Foremost Authority.

blake