Old 28-09-2005, 01:06 AM
jmcquown

Default Menudo: Add cheese?

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

Please don't tell me to drive 30 miles to a Mexican market to look for tripe
because even before gas price hikes I wouldn't drive 30 miles just to pick
up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
cheese?

Jill

Old 28-09-2005, 01:35 AM
notbob

On 2005-09-28, jmcquown wrote:

of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
cheese?

Oh Hell no!!

Menudo and pozole peripherals include oregano/lime/jalapenos
(required) and shredded cabbage and tortilla chips (opt).

nb
Old 28-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Bob Terwilliger

Jill wrote:

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

Can't help you with that: When I worked at a grocery store (Publix) in
Florida, the meat department always carried tripe. Here in Northern
California, tripe is also available in supermarkets. There must be some
local prejudice against it, or the markets would carry it, right?

I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to
think of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo
lovers add cheese?

I like menudo too. I haven't tried it with cheese, but it sounds good to me,
especially if you also have homemade tortilla chips and a squeeze of lime
juice.

Bob

Old 28-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

You're lucky. I tried that stuff once. The broth and hominy was good, but the
tripe was disgusting.

Old 28-09-2005, 02:21 AM
jmcquown

Dave Smith wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

You're lucky. I tried that stuff once. The broth and hominy was good,
but the tripe was disgusting.

LOL I probably like tripe not because of menudo but because tripe and the
'lights" are common in Scottish cooking. Not easy to find in the U.S.,
though, and I don't seek them out. My mom won't admit it but I suspect my
grandmother put tripe in her wonderful lamb stew with barley.

Jill

Old 28-09-2005, 03:31 AM
pablo

On 2005-09-28, jmcquown wrote:

of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
cheese?

Oh Hell no!!

Menudo and pozole peripherals include oregano/lime/jalapenos
(required) and shredded cabbage and tortilla chips (opt).

What he said. And maybe some sliced radishes.

Jill - you don't have any Hispanic markets near you? Here in Metro Daytwah,
the Barrio is the place to get all that kind of stuff. The sterile, white,
suburban grocery stores where we live would never carry anything like that.
(Although they all seem to have lobster torture tanks.)

Pablo

Old 28-09-2005, 03:44 AM
notbob

On 2005-09-28, pablo wrote:

What he said. And maybe some sliced radishes.

Oooh... sounds good. I'll try that next time.

nb
Old 28-09-2005, 05:14 AM
jmcquown

On 2005-09-28, jmcquown wrote:

of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo
lovers add cheese?

Oh Hell no!!

Menudo and pozole peripherals include oregano/lime/jalapenos
(required) and shredded cabbage and tortilla chips (opt).

What he said. And maybe some sliced radishes.

Jill - you don't have any Hispanic markets near you? Here in Metro
Daytwah, the Barrio is the place to get all that kind of stuff. The
sterile, white, suburban grocery stores where we live would never
carry anything like that. (Although they all seem to have lobster
torture tanks.)

Pablo

Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio (if
there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population). I can't even
find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants, if that is any
comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen. Was simply an idle
question. Please don't gun me down for asking G

Jill

Old 28-09-2005, 06:29 AM
Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:14:52 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio (if
there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population). I can't even
find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants, if that is any
comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen. Was simply an idle
question. Please don't gun me down for asking G

When Erik and I visited Memphis, we were struck by the number of
groceries selling Hispanic foodstuffs. The Memphis area has quite a few, and
there's at least one "super mercado" within 10 miles of you. No guarantee
they'd have the honeycomb tripe, but it sounds like a sensible place to look.
They can also be interesting places just to poke around to see what other
things are available.

Ariane
Old 28-09-2005, 06:58 AM
zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:
Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

Please don't tell me to drive 30 miles to a Mexican market to look for tripe
because even before gas price hikes I wouldn't drive 30 miles just to pick
up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
cheese?

Jill

I had some canned pazole for the first time Sunday. I think that's the
same thing as menudo without the tripe. I added some chili powder and a
bunch of black pepper to it when I heated it up because it wasn't quite
spicy enough.

I wouldn't add cheese. I would eat cheese as an *accompaniment*, along
with the warm tortillas.

Someone else mentioned adding shredded cabbage and jalapenos. I like
that idea.

Bob

Old 28-09-2005, 08:17 AM
jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

The menudo I bought was quite spicy. When I opened the can I skimmed off
the congealed fat on the top and added some dried basil and a little garlic
and heated it up. It was quite tasty. You are right though, the cheese
would be best on the side. It was just an idle question.

Jill

Old 28-09-2005, 08:18 AM
jmcquown

wrote:

Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio
(if there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population).
I can't even find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants,
if that is any comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen.
Was simply an idle question. Please don't gun me down for asking G

When Erik and I visited Memphis, we were struck by the number of
groceries selling Hispanic foodstuffs. The Memphis area has quite a
few, and there's at least one "super mercado" within 10 miles of you.
No guarantee they'd have the honeycomb tripe, but it sounds like a
sensible place to look. They can also be interesting places just to
poke around to see what other things are available.

Ariane

Really? Where's a "super mercado" in Cordova? I've never run across one.

Jill

Old 28-09-2005, 10:32 AM
jmcquown

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Jill wrote:

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

Can't help you with that: When I worked at a grocery store (Publix) in
Florida, the meat department always carried tripe. Here in Northern
California, tripe is also available in supermarkets. There must be
some local prejudice against it, or the markets would carry it, right?

They carry hog jowls, buckets of chitterlings (chitlins); stuff like that.
No tripe. Tripe is not a common item for southern cooking.

I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or
Oaxaca cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy?
(Come to think of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of
you menudo lovers add cheese?

I like menudo too. I haven't tried it with cheese, but it sounds good
to me, especially if you also have homemade tortilla chips and a
squeeze of lime juice.

Bob

I'll try it with some tortilla chips and lime the next time Thanks, Bob.

Jill

Old 28-09-2005, 11:51 AM
kilikini

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Jill wrote:

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

Can't help you with that: When I worked at a grocery store (Publix) in
Florida, the meat department always carried tripe. Here in Northern
California, tripe is also available in supermarkets. There must be
some local prejudice against it, or the markets would carry it, right?

They carry hog jowls, buckets of chitterlings (chitlins); stuff like that.
No tripe. Tripe is not a common item for southern cooking.

I can find tripe in any supermarket here in cesspool Florida, but then again
we have a HUGE Mexican, Cuban and Puerto Rican population, so I guess that's
to be expected. I can even find tripe at WalMart. (I don't know if it's
the specific kind you're looking for, though. - I wouldn't touch tripe with
my least favorite spatula.)

kili

Old 28-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Stark

In article , jmcquown
wrote:

Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio (if
there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population). I can't even
find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants, if that is any
comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen. Was simply an idle
question. Please don't gun me down for asking G

Jill

Next time you're in town, take a look along Summer Avenue. Not a barrio
yet but there are a couple of small stores and the Kroger has added to
their produce offerings--lots of strange chilis. They even had some
entertainment--guy juggling jicamas.

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 12:41 AM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 10:15 PM
My best Menudo recipe chilichick General Cooking 15 01-06-2006 02:14 AM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 07:16 PM
Menudo Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 22-05-2005 04:39 AM