Old 13-02-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default menudo

I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
the flavor like?

Steve

Old 13-02-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
the flavor like?

Steve

It's quite good actually...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Old 13-02-2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
is the flavor like?

Steve

It's very good - and purportedly excellent for a hangover.

I suspect the hangover myth is due to overindulgence in hot sauce or salsa -
releasing endorphins.

Dimitri

Old 13-02-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
is the flavor like?

Steve

It's a hot, spicy Mexican soup. I wouldn't call it "slimy" (but then I
wouldn't mention menudo and marshmallows in the same paragraph, either LOL).

I guess you have to like tripe to like menudo. It contains chick peas
(garbanzo beans) which give it a nice hearty texture, at least to my way of
thinking. I've never made menudo from scratch. I buy it in cans from time
to time. Hmmm, I should put that on my shopping list.

Jill

Old 13-02-2009, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
the flavor like?

Steve

It's quite good actually...

I just went to a shabu-shabu restaurant--my first time, having
avoided them in Japan (thinking if I wanted to cook, I'd do it at
home--which, for some strange reason didn't extend to the
do-it-yourself Korean grill places). One of my selections was
tripe, which would seem to indicate I like it. My broth
selection, tom yum, actually counteracted the tripe's flavor, for
better or for worse. I like it the taste (if I am in the mood for
that), but it is obviously a texture thing too.

--
Jean B.

Old 13-02-2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Jean B." wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
is
the flavor like?

Steve

It's quite good actually...

I just went to a shabu-shabu restaurant--my first time, having
avoided them in Japan (thinking if I wanted to cook, I'd do it at
home--which, for some strange reason didn't extend to the
do-it-yourself Korean grill places). One of my selections was
tripe, which would seem to indicate I like it. My broth
selection, tom yum, actually counteracted the tripe's flavor, for
better or for worse. I like it the taste (if I am in the mood for
that), but it is obviously a texture thing too.

I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. g
I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.

I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
texture of those things.

Old 13-02-2009, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:
I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
the flavor like?

Steve

Are you speaking of the Philippine or Mexican version?

I like most ethnic variations of tripe when it is prepared properly. It
definitely isn't slimey.

Old 13-02-2009, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 9:44*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I have never tasted menudo. *I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. *I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. *Is it as slimy as it looks? *What is
the flavor like?

Tripe itself is rather mild in flavor: a bit sweet and salty. It's
hard to compare its taste to anything else. But it does have a chewy
and spongy texture which soaks up well the flavor from broths or
sauces. The honeycomb version is less "rubbery" and more succulent
than the flat variety.

--
Ht
Old 13-02-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What
is the flavor like?

Steve

I've never tried Menudo (yet).

Being a Philly boy, I've had plenty of pepper-pot soup which is also made
with tripe. Pretty damn good!

Jon

Old 13-02-2009, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. g
I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.

I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
texture of those things.

Hmmm. The Spanish recipe does contain chickpeas. I suppose some
other legume could be substituted. Maybe even those black
soybeans, although I can't say I love them. Tripe isn't so bad to
cook. I think what you get in most stores has already been
blanched. Not sure of that though.

--
Jean B.
Old 13-02-2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-13, SteveB wrote:
I have never tasted menudo. I know some people who think it's the best
thing since marshmallows. I can only think of a couple of things I won't
eat, but I can't get myself to try it. Is it as slimy as it looks? What is
the flavor like?

Look for a brand of canned soup called Juanita's.

http://www.juanitasfoods.com/consumer/en/home_en.html

It's not only a good example of menudo, it's the best canned soup on the
market. Most large supermarkets carry it. If you're not a fan of tripe,
try the pozole, which is all pork with no tripe. It's so good, it's an
acute embarrassment to all the other soup companies. Even better than my
Mexican step-mom's homemade. No kidding.

nb
Old 13-02-2009, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Jean B." wrote:

Omelet wrote:
I'm still trying to psyche myself into actually cooking some tripe. g
I did try some menudo made by a co-worker and it was good.

I'd have to substitute tho' for the Chick peas. I can't stand the
texture of those things.

Hmmm. The Spanish recipe does contain chickpeas. I suppose some
other legume could be substituted. Maybe even those black
soybeans, although I can't say I love them. Tripe isn't so bad to
cook. I think what you get in most stores has already been
blanched. Not sure of that though.

Pre-soaked for at least 24 hours (I actually soak for 3 days with
frequent water changes) and pressure cooked, the black soy beans are
quite tender and end up like a good pinto bean.

Explanation for the 3 days soak...

Dad insists that the beans have to start sprouting before he will eat
them. I have to cater to him and it really does not hurt them as long as
I change the water twice per day minimum. I have them in a screen
colander in the soaking bowl so it makes it easy to do.

Once they split and start to sprout, I can cook them.

Odds are, I'd probably substitute canned or fresh frozen corn for the
chick peas.

Old 13-02-2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought they broke up years ago?

Old 13-02-2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 4:33 pm, Tammy wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:44:58 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I thought they broke up years ago?

Chick peas? My menudo, and pozole for that matter, is based on
hominy. Maybe next time I'll try .adding ceci.

Bulka

Looking for menudo recipe mack the knife Mexican Cooking 8 25-11-2008 08:24 PM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 10:15 PM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 07:16 PM
Menudo: Add cheese? jmcquown General Cooking 23 01-10-2005 01:19 AM
Menudo Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 22-05-2005 04:39 AM