Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My best Menudo recipe

I make Menudo for my whole family once a month. Everyone comes over
sometimes 25 for breakfast. Thety tell me I make the BEST... I cook
mine overnight
so it's ready for breakfast.
10 lbs of Menudo. Cut washed and rinsed 3-4 times in water and lemon
juice, (very important) the lemon juice gets rid of anything
nasty especially the odor.
you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
that Posole
I add a whole onion
whole head of garlic
California Chili powder
New Mexico Chili powder
salt
pepper
cumin
I cook mine overnight about 7 hours then add two lg cans of Hominy...
for sides I cut up onion, celantro, lemon.
For Posole sides: cabbage, onion, celantro, lemon, radishes
If you use chicken or pork, cook time is just a couple of hours
ENJOY...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 30 May 2006 02:31:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it chilichick?

> I make Menudo for my whole family once a month. Everyone comes over
> sometimes 25 for breakfast. Thety tell me I make the BEST... I cook
> mine overnight
> so it's ready for breakfast.
> 10 lbs of Menudo. Cut washed and rinsed 3-4 times in water and lemon
> juice, (very important) the lemon juice gets rid of anything
> nasty especially the odor.
> you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
> that Posole
> I add a whole onion
> whole head of garlic
> California Chili powder
> New Mexico Chili powder
> salt
> pepper
> cumin
> I cook mine overnight about 7 hours then add two lg cans of Hominy...
> for sides I cut up onion, celantro, lemon.
> For Posole sides: cabbage, onion, celantro, lemon, radishes
> If you use chicken or pork, cook time is just a couple of hours
> ENJOY...

Your recipe sounds very good, although I have to say that I've never eaten
menudo before. I have eaten posole made with pork, however, and it was
delicious.

--

Wayne Boatwright

"How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

Julia Child
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 30 May 2006 02:31:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> chilichick?
>
>> I make Menudo for my whole family once a month.

> Your recipe sounds very good, although I have to say that I've never
> eaten menudo before. I have eaten posole made with pork, however,
> and it was delicious.

Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food. I'll take mine with
tripe, thanks

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 30 May 2006 03:54:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 30 May 2006 02:31:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> chilichick?
>>
>>> I make Menudo for my whole family once a month.

>> Your recipe sounds very good, although I have to say that I've never
>> eaten menudo before. I have eaten posole made with pork, however, and
>> it was delicious.

> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food. I'll take mine with
> tripe, thanks

I didn't say wouldn't eat it, but that I hadn't eaten it before. However,
since I don't drink, I would not need it for that purpose. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

chilichick wrote:
> you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
> that Posole

Well you must have been drunk when you posted. I think that should be
substitute chicken or pork for tripe we call that posole. I hope you
cook better than you type.

I have tried pozole but will never knowingly try menudo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

I think it's just menudo. It's famous as hangover food. I never
had a hangover bad enough to want to try it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ben Franklin wrote:
> chilichick wrote:
> > you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
> > that Posole

> Well you must have been drunk when you posted. I think that should be
> substitute chicken or pork for tripe we call that posole. I hope you
> cook better than you type.
>
> I have tried pozole but will never knowingly try menudo.

Sorry about that Ben, I wasn't drunk when I typed that. You did know
what I meant so that's good. I do cook better than I type. I'll check
my next posting for any errors before I post...
Alot of my family doesn't eat the tripe but like it for the flavor it
gives the hominy. For my family it's just an excuse to get together
and share family news and not just a hangover breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a greasy
cheeseburger.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

its the tripe as it is a natural source of pectin. which absorbs
alcohol. plus the spices and heat will hopefully make you sweat as well.

Grizzman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Vilco wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

>> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
>> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

> It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a greasy
> cheeseburger.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

research tripe, tripas and pectin

Grizzmn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grizzman wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Vilco wrote:

>>> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
>>> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

>> It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a
>> greasy cheeseburger.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> research tripe, tripas and pectin
>
> Grizzmn

1) Animals do not produce pectin.
2) By the time you have a hangover, there is no alcohol left in
your stomach.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Grizzman wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a
>>> greasy cheeseburger.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bob

>> research tripe, tripas and pectin
>>
>> Grizzmn

> 1) Animals do not produce pectin.
> 2) By the time you have a hangover, there is no alcohol left in
> your stomach.
>

> Bob

Naw, spicy stuff just tastes good when you're hung over. So does breakfast
food

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Vilco" > wrote
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

>> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
>> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

> I think it's just menudo. It's famous as hangover food. I never
> had a hangover bad enough to want to try it.

In my opinion, anything labelled as hangover *food* has the sole purpose of
allowing your stomach to do what it's been desperately trying to do for
hours, and which the hungover individual has been desperately trying to
prevent

Jani
(who was once given a pint of Babycham as a "hangover cure" without this
general principle being explained. Oh, the embarrassment .....)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco > wrote:

> LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
> Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

None really can, but some are reputed to possess the same properties,
e.g. the Greek patsás, the Turkish iskembe çorbasi, the Bulgarian
shkembe chorba, and the Caribbean/Latin-American mondongo.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Naw, spicy stuff just tastes good when you're hung over. So does breakfast
> food

JACK'S TACOS ROCK!

Mostly you need water and electrolytes.

Drinking a couple of glasses of water between getting drunk and going
to sleep helps a LOT.

--Blair
"This has been a PSA."

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 12:41 AM
Looking for menudo recipe mack the knife General Cooking 54 25-11-2008 08:24 PM
Looking for menudo recipe mack the knife Mexican Cooking 8 25-11-2008 08:24 PM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 10:15 PM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 07:16 PM