D.A.Martinich

jmcquown wrote:> up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned
menudo. I love spicy food
> and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
> integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
> cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
> cheese?

Out here in California, menudo has been around for a couple centuries.
It is considered a "restorative" for (fill in the blank) and is often
featured on weekends and served until early morning. Mostly what I have
seen as garnish are limes to squeeze, Mexican oregano leaves, and
chopped onions. Radishes and cabbage are fairly new around here, but
they go well. And, of course, jalapenos for the macho types. Cheese
won't hurt it but I'm not sure it will be much of an enhancer.

D.M.