General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default Aldi grocery stores

What do you know about them?

The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
experience.

First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping carts
from outside the building, not inside. Whatever. I knew that I had to
pay in cash and I knew that they charge for grocery bags if I didn't
bring my own. I'm not crazy about the cash only, but that's how they do
it and they've got an ATM inside and they do take SOME debit cards (mine
would work). I didn't pick up a cart because I wanted to keep my
spending low and limiting it to what I could carry seemed like a good
way to achieve that. :-)

I spent $6.34, most of it in the produce department. I didn't plan to
buy grape tomatoes, but they were 99 cents for a pint (very tasty they
are, too); I didn't plan to buy mushrooms but they were 99 cents for a
pint and looked good; I needed fresh garlic and two heads for 49 cents
seemed reasonable (I'll see how fresh it is, I couldn't check there and
haven't yet); a bunch of celery was 89 cents -- that seemed reasonable.
A gallon of skim milk was $2.19 and a can of chili con carne was 79
cents. Oddly, it's the chili that interests me most because Rob loves
it for lunch. Hormel has now taken to packaging their chili in boxes
for $1/box on sale -- same quanitity. Thought I'd have My True Love try
this stuff and see how he likes it. (And don't talk to me about making
homemade for my man, ok? Taking a package from the freezer and heating
it seems to be too strenuous for him--he likes the canned stuff.)

The first thing I noticed about their bare bones operation is that they
have their own brands that are packaged remarkably like the national
brands of the same products. Colors and styles -- enough so that I
looked at the peanut butter and figured it was either Skippy or Peter
Pan (can't remember which, but it was very familiar). Their queso dip
sure looks like Tostito's or Frito-Lay -- but it was $1.49 for a jar
instead of $2 or $2.50. Might have to check that out another time.

The next thing I noticed was that the ground meat in the fresh cooler
looked fresh -- sorry I don't remember the prices.

Then there was the strange little section that looked like it could have
been Sam's Club -- there was a lounge chair (in a box) for sale, along
with some other non-food stuff. Seemed very out of place.

When I checked out and paid, I asked the cashier if I could assume that
since the packaging on so many things was so similar to the national
brands, that they were in fact made by the same folks. She said I can
assume that. Swell. The other thing I noticed was that that shopping
cart outside could be procured for use for 25 cents - but you get your
quarter back when you check out. Cool. They do it to keep carts out
of the parking lot, I guess. I have no problem bringing my own bags --
I usually do that at other stores -- I can carry four cloth bags of
groceries in two hands without fear of breaking the bag.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gregory Morrow
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
> have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
> experience.


[...]

Aldi can be pretty dire or pretty good.

There is one north of me (Uptown area of Chicawgo) that is like a _Twilight
Zone_ set. Of course it doesn't help that it's across the street from a
Salvation Army homeless mission...

Pretty rotten produce from what I've seen. From the condition of the store
I sure wouldn't buy meat there...

Friends though have gone to some of the nicer ones in the 'burbs and have
gotten some real deals on electronics and stuff, e.g. a DVD recorder for a
hundred bux...and the food is okay they say.

IIRC doesn't Aldi's parent company also own Trader Joe's...???

--
Best
Greg



  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What do you know about them?


Aldi's is a German discount grocery chain founded just after the Second
World War (1946 I think) and flourished. Expanded to the U.S. in 1976.
Has a very good reputation, both for quality of product and
significant discounts. The "word" is that on the whole a shopper can
save about 40% on a typical shopping car full of groceries (whatever
"typical" is). Bought Trader Joe's a few years ago.
>


> First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping

carts
> from outside the building, not inside.


You don't have the outside storage lot for carts in Minnisota? Here in
the Bay Area most of the supermarkets store carts outside, have done
for a number of years. All that extra room inside in which to pile
goodies for you to spend your money on, ya know.



> Oddly, it's the chili that interests me most because Rob loves
> it for lunch. Hormel has now taken to packaging their chili in boxes


> for $1/box on sale -- same quanitity. Thought I'd have My True Love

try
> this stuff and see how he likes it.


Campbell's has been marketing a chili and I tried some a while ago.
Pretty good, better than the canned chili I'd been buying (let's
see....Staggs, Hormel, Dennison)
>
>
> Then there was the strange little section that looked like it could

have
> been Sam's Club -- there was a lounge chair (in a box) for sale,

along
> with some other non-food stuff. Seemed very out of place.


This might be a trend by some stores to imitate Wal-Mart or Sam's. The
Albertson's around here devote a lot of space to non-food
items.....small appliances, videos and DVDs, televisions.
>


> When I checked out and paid, I asked the cashier if I could assume

that
> since the packaging on so many things was so similar to the national
> brands, that they were in fact made by the same folks. She said I

can
> assume that.


Well, I'm not so sure about that. I guess you could assume all you want
but that wouldn't make your assumption accurate. :-) It could very
well be that the contents are made by a brand name but I'd be very
surprised if the brand name would allow their product to be packaged
look-alike.

Mac

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Vox Humana
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
...
> What do you know about them?
>
> The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
> have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
> experience.


One opened by me about two years ago. I am under-whelmed. There is a very
poor selection of basic food. I don't buy much packaged food. When I shop,
I often just hit the periphery of the store getting produce, meat, and
dairy. Aldi is very weak on all these categories. What produce they do
sell seems to be bundled - six tomatoes, a bag of pepper, a bag of apples,
etc. I like to buy a smaller amount of produce on a frequent basis. They
don't sell any fresh meat at our store. Dairy is limited to gallon jugs of
milk, some cottage cheese, and processed cheese products.

The other thing I don't like is that the store seems claustrophobic. Our
store is about the size of a convenience store with much of the merchandise
simply stacked to make isles. Unfortunately, the store seems to attract a
very old demographic. I have nothing against the elderly, but when you get
a tiny store full of people with limited mobility, limited eyesight, and
infinite time you might as well resign yourself to shopping at the same pace
the lines move at Disney World in mid August! Since it is nearly impossible
to pass someone, you end up shopping at the same pace as the slowest person
in the store.

I have a choice of two mega-markets and two large groceries stores almost
within walking distance of the Aldi store. I can do as well price wise at
Meijer and don't have to by mystery brands. I'm sort of surprised that the
store is still open as they have very limited hours, limited service,
limited selection, and the prices are just so-so.


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Doug Kanter
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
...

>
> When I checked out and paid, I asked the cashier if I could assume that
> since the packaging on so many things was so similar to the national
> brands, that they were in fact made by the same folks. She said I can
> assume that.


Any cashier who actually had that information would be on a fast track to
management, considering that it's so hard to find retail employees who have
any interest in anything other than what they're told to do. :-) It's
possible, though, that she'd helped stock shelves, and saw some identifying
information on the cartons.

Although some private label product is produced by the national brands like
Del Monte, it's less often the case. But, it doesn't matter. The quality of
the products is determined by the grocery chain selling it to you, and for
some products, by mother nature. They have a wide range of private label
suppliers to choose from, and even if the chain decides to package the
cheapest product they can find, it may still be better than the plain white
label stuff we all remember from 20 years ago. (I'm talking about basic
things here, like canned/frozen fruits & vegetables).

For concocted items, you may find you like the store brand better than the
national brand. After all, it's just a question of recipes, right? So, the
question of quality is really one of personal taste. Quality isn't that big
an issue any more.

Here's a clue as to where some of your store brands may come from - one of
many companies who do this kind of thing:

http://www.carriagehousecos.com/2005...categories.htm
and
http://www.carriagehousecos.com/2005..._copacking.htm
and
http://www.carriagehousecos.com/2005...etailsales.htm




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Doug Kanter
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> ...
>> What do you know about them?
>>
>> The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
>> have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
>> experience.

>
> One opened by me about two years ago. I am under-whelmed. There is a
> very
> poor selection of basic food. I don't buy much packaged food. When I
> shop,
> I often just hit the periphery of the store getting produce, meat, and
> dairy. Aldi is very weak on all these categories. What produce they do
> sell seems to be bundled - six tomatoes, a bag of pepper, a bag of apples,
> etc. I like to buy a smaller amount of produce on a frequent basis. They
> don't sell any fresh meat at our store. Dairy is limited to gallon jugs of
> milk, some cottage cheese, and processed cheese products.
>
> The other thing I don't like is that the store seems claustrophobic. Our
> store is about the size of a convenience store with much of the
> merchandise
> simply stacked to make isles. Unfortunately, the store seems to attract a
> very old demographic. I have nothing against the elderly, but when you
> get
> a tiny store full of people with limited mobility, limited eyesight, and
> infinite time you might as well resign yourself to shopping at the same
> pace
> the lines move at Disney World in mid August! Since it is nearly
> impossible
> to pass someone, you end up shopping at the same pace as the slowest
> person
> in the store.
>
> I have a choice of two mega-markets and two large groceries stores almost
> within walking distance of the Aldi store. I can do as well price wise at
> Meijer and don't have to by mystery brands. I'm sort of surprised that the
> store is still open as they have very limited hours, limited service,
> limited selection, and the prices are just so-so.
>
>


The Wal Mart here is the same way - underwhelming. Yes, some groceries are
quite a bit cheaper. But, when I shop, at least 1/3 of my bill is for
produce, the the produce at our Wal Mart is apparently driven over by a
truck before being put on display. And, they grant you the privilege of
surrendering close to 30 minutes just to get through the cashier's line. No
thanks.

Then, off to the real grocery store for produce. Two stops for groceries?
Ummmm.....no.


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
A.C.
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Melba's Jammin wrote:

> What do you know about them?
>

i just got back from aldi about 20 minutes ago. i only shop there to get
staples. butter for 2.49/lb is a prime example of why i go there. i never
buy meat there either. it's great for the few items i get there but i can't
vouch for all of the products there.


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Kate Connally
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> What do you know about them?


We've had one here for at least a year. I've been
twice. The first time was because I got their sale
flyer in the mail and they had those large Arizona
teas for $.59. So I went and stocked up on the raspberry
tea. I looked at their other stuff and was not impressed.
The produce looked awful. I might try some of their unheard-
of-brands of frozen foods because they're pretty cheap.
I was mainly looking for a good deal on breaded shrimp.
I never buy it in the supermarket because the prices are
ridiculous. I used to get a 2 or 3 lb. box at Food4Less
at a really great price but they closed several years ago
and I haven't had shrimp since. I was hoping Aldi's
would be an alternate source of shrimp. I'm not sure
I would try too many of their unheard-of-brand items
though.

I've been there twice in the last year. I might
check them out more often if they were closed to me
but they're kind of out of the way. I watch their
flyers in case they have any good deals on any brand-name
stuff I might want.

> First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping carts
> from outside the building, not inside. Whatever.


Ah, but you have to put a quarter in the slot to get a cart.
I've been lucky that someone has offered me their cart for
free as they were leaving.

> I knew that I had to
> pay in cash and I knew that they charge for grocery bags if I didn't
> bring my own. I'm not crazy about the cash only, but that's how they do
> it and they've got an ATM inside and they do take SOME debit cards (mine
> would work).


Yeah, I'm glad they take debit cards because I never have
cash on my anymore.

> I didn't pick up a cart because I wanted to keep my
> spending low and limiting it to what I could carry seemed like a good
> way to achieve that. :-)


That would work for me as I wouldn't even go in. ;-) I need
the cart to hold me up. (I need to lean on it because of my
back.) I get one even if I'm only buying a loaf of bread!

> I spent $6.34, most of it in the produce department. I didn't plan to
> buy grape tomatoes, but they were 99 cents for a pint (very tasty they
> are, too); I didn't plan to buy mushrooms but they were 99 cents for a
> pint and looked good; I needed fresh garlic and two heads for 49 cents
> seemed reasonable (I'll see how fresh it is, I couldn't check there and
> haven't yet); a bunch of celery was 89 cents -- that seemed reasonable.


I'm very surprised that the produce was good? Our here has
really horrible produce.

> Then there was the strange little section that looked like it could have
> been Sam's Club -- there was a lounge chair (in a box) for sale, along
> with some other non-food stuff. Seemed very out of place.


Ours here is not at all like a regular supermarket, more
like a Dollar General or Big Lots with lots of non-grocery items
but more real food items.

> When I checked out and paid, I asked the cashier if I could assume that
> since the packaging on so many things was so similar to the national
> brands, that they were in fact made by the same folks. She said I can
> assume that. Swell.


I think that most store brands and generic stuff is actually
made by a major brand company but just package differently. Of
course they will never tell you which company it is. I have
on rare occasions had a generic product that was as good or
better than most of the major brands. A lot of store brands
at the regular supermarkets are very good. But others are not.
I guess it depends on which company makes them.

> The other thing I noticed was that that shopping
> cart outside could be procured for use for 25 cents - but you get your
> quarter back when you check out. Cool. They do it to keep carts out
> of the parking lot, I guess. I have no problem bringing my own bags

I don't recall getting a quarter when checking out. Or is that
when you put the cart back in the cart stand that you get your
quarter back? I wouldn't know as I gave mine to someone else
so I didn't actually put it back in the stand. And I certainly
didn't get a quarter back at the cash register.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.
What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
A.C.
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Kate Connally wrote:

> I don't recall getting a quarter when checking out. Or is that
> when you put the cart back in the cart stand that you get your
> quarter back? I wouldn't know as I gave mine to someone else
> so I didn't actually put it back in the stand. And I certainly
> didn't get a quarter back at the cash register.



the one near my house requires that you slide a quarter into the little slot
on the cart to unlock it from the rack and you get the quarter back when you
put the cart back in the rack.


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Vox Humana
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"A.C." > wrote in message
...
>
> Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > I don't recall getting a quarter when checking out. Or is that
> > when you put the cart back in the cart stand that you get your
> > quarter back? I wouldn't know as I gave mine to someone else
> > so I didn't actually put it back in the stand. And I certainly
> > didn't get a quarter back at the cash register.

>
>
> the one near my house requires that you slide a quarter into the little

slot
> on the cart to unlock it from the rack and you get the quarter back when

you
> put the cart back in the rack.



Hate that! The interesting thing is that the one store here with that
system dispenses the gigantic plastic children-movers without the need for a
quarter. It isn't unusual to see some 20 something guy without any kids
pushing one of these monstrosities.




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sharon Chilson
 
Posts: n/a
Default


They opened an Aldi's on the edge of Detroit/suburbia a few years ago. I
was in it once, just to look, never went back or bought anything.

The shelves, at least in this store, were much much lower than in a
traditional grocery store. I'm 5'10, I'll bet the shelves didn't reach
my shoulders, and that's with merchandise on the top shelf. The
shelves/aisles ran the length of the store, so when a cashier looked
out, they could see everything and everyone in the store. And there was
a huge living room picture window sort of thing against the back wall,
one-way glass. Call me paranoid if you want to, but I had a feeling like
someone was sitting behind the glass with a shotgun just waiting for
someone to act up.

It all troubled me so much I never went back.

Does anyone have the dollar store "Deals' by them? They have nice prices
(it's a dollar store, everything is a dollar) and carry a wide array of
food items, as well as the usual dollar store merchandise.

You know those big bottles of IBC root beer or cream soda? In the
grocery store they run around $1.59, $1.79. Just a dollar at Deals.

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
George
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A.C. wrote:

>
>
> the one near my house requires that you slide a quarter into the little slot
> on the cart to unlock it from the rack and you get the quarter back when you
> put the cart back in the rack.
>



I believe that is SOP. I actually think it is a good idea after having
cars bashed by carts that were simply left out in the lot by
inconsiderate people who couldn't walk the 25 feet to put the cart in
the rack.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
George
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What do you know about them?
>


There are 3 within close range. One is in a bad neighborhood but the
other 2 are quite good. Clean and well maintained. We think of them as
more of a "stock up" type place. The canned goods are very reasonably
priced and good quality. There are no fresh meats.

One thing that I have heard from a number of people is that unlike
walmart working at Aldis is a good job. They have a decent pay scale and
benefits.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, "A.C."
> wrote:
> the one near my house requires that you slide a quarter into the
> little slot on the cart to unlock it from the rack and you get the
> quarter back when you put the cart back in the rack.


I stand corrected -- especially since I didn't do it. :-) I was basing
my assessment on the fact that there was an empty cart at the cashier's.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> ...
>
> >
> > When I checked out and paid, I asked the cashier if I could assume
> > that since the packaging on so many things was so similar to the
> > national brands, that they were in fact made by the same folks.
> > She said I can assume that.

>
> Any cashier who actually had that information would be on a fast
> track to management, considering that it's so hard to find retail
> employees who have any interest in anything other than what they're
> told to do. :-) It's possible, though, that she'd helped stock
> shelves, and saw some identifying information on the cartons.
>
> Although some private label product is produced by the national
> brands like Del Monte,


ROFL -- the Gedney folks here are doing some private labeling for Del
Monte. Canned fruits, I think.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.


  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What do you know about them?

>
> Aldi's is a German discount grocery chain founded just after the Second
> World War (1946 I think) and flourished. Expanded to the U.S. in 1976.
> Has a very good reputation, both for quality of product and
> significant discounts. The "word" is that on the whole a shopper can
> save about 40% on a typical shopping car full of groceries (whatever
> "typical" is). Bought Trader Joe's a few years ago.
> >

>
> > First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping

> carts
> > from outside the building, not inside.

>
> You don't have the outside storage lot for carts in Minnisota? Here in
> the Bay Area most of the supermarkets store carts outside, have done
> for a number of years. All that extra room inside in which to pile
> goodies for you to spend your money on, ya know.


We typically have 'cart corrals' placed throughout the parking lots --
where yu stash your cart after you've emptied. Folks mostly pick up
their empty carts inside the store, in the entryway between the two sets
of double doors. Where some of the specials are placed -- pop,
typically, and lots of others, now that i think of it.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ariane Jenkins
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:50:15 -0600,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> What do you know about them?

[snip]

Aldi's is fairly common in this area (SW Ohio) and the quality of
produce/condition of the store varies from location to location. I've
heard plenty of reports of crappy produce, but I'm happy to say the
one I go to has fine stuff most of the time. Common purchases are the
..99 package of mushrooms, the occasional .49 avocado (or two), bags of
onions/potatoes if they look good, bananas at .25/lb, 3-pack of bell
peppers, etc.

I don't know if this is the case with the one near you, but ours has
gradually fancied up over the past year or so. They've added a wine
section and some beer, and some more gourmet items like jarred marinated
artichokes and mushrooms, mango chai granola and god knows what else.
The chocolate is good if you like milk chocolate, unfortunately I
don't think they carry any dark.

Quality of canned goods varies, too. In the past, I haven't been
impressed with their canned pineapple, too many unripe chunks in it.
The canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and pastes seem fine to
me. Staples like milk, flour and eggs are usually cheaper than most
regular grocery stores here. I don't really buy meat there, most of
it is frozen except for the ground beef.

The non-food offerings change according to the season, and sometimes
it's worth a look. I got a stick blender (Crofton brand, probably
some other brand renamed) for $7 and it works fine. Ours usually has
a lot of kid's toys and gift type items around the holidays, stuff
like that. Aldi's also has seasonal food offerings, like several
different types of stollen around Christmas, or these cute little
packages of chocolate (hollow) Santas and Christmas ornaments.

It's not a place I go to every week, but maybe once a month to stock
up on certain things, or if I'm passing by I might stop in and grab a
couple items.

Ariane
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday

to
> > have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an

interesting
> > experience.

>
> [...]
>
> Aldi can be pretty dire or pretty good.
>
> There is one north of me (Uptown area of Chicawgo) that is like a

_Twilight
> Zone_ set. Of course it doesn't help that it's across the street

from a
> Salvation Army homeless mission...
>
> Pretty rotten produce from what I've seen. From the condition of the

store
> I sure wouldn't buy meat there...
>
> Friends though have gone to some of the nicer ones in the 'burbs and

have
> gotten some real deals on electronics and stuff, e.g. a DVD recorder

for a
> hundred bux...and the food is okay they say.
>
> IIRC doesn't Aldi's parent company also own Trader Joe's...???
>
> --
> Best
> Greg



Greg, that's my experience here with the Aldi store ... the place
ALWAYS smells like sour milk/spilled dairy. Puke.

N.

  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ariane Jenkins
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:24:58 -0500,
Sharon Chilson > wrote:
>
> They opened an Aldi's on the edge of Detroit/suburbia a few years ago. I
> was in it once, just to look, never went back or bought anything.
>
> The shelves, at least in this store, were much much lower than in a
> traditional grocery store. I'm 5'10, I'll bet the shelves didn't reach
> my shoulders, and that's with merchandise on the top shelf. The
> shelves/aisles ran the length of the store, so when a cashier looked
> out, they could see everything and everyone in the store. And there was
> a huge living room picture window sort of thing against the back wall,
> one-way glass. Call me paranoid if you want to, but I had a feeling like
> someone was sitting behind the glass with a shotgun just waiting for
> someone to act up.
>
> It all troubled me so much I never went back.


LOL... "Pay no attention to the man behind the one-way
glass..." ;D


> Does anyone have the dollar store "Deals' by them? They have nice prices
> (it's a dollar store, everything is a dollar) and carry a wide array of
> food items, as well as the usual dollar store merchandise.
>
> You know those big bottles of IBC root beer or cream soda? In the
> grocery store they run around $1.59, $1.79. Just a dollar at Deals.


Yep, we have a couple of those, like really big dollar
stores. One of them near us actually carries some perishable produce,
oddly enough. I got avocadoes 2/$1 there--not huge ones, but hey, for
..50... They also carried milk and an assortment of frozen dinners. I
haven't really priced those, so I didn't know if it was a good deal or
not. I did, however, buy a big bottle of IBC root beer, it's
something I haven't had since I was a kid.

Ariane

  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >, George
> wrote:
(snip)
>
> One thing that I have heard from a number of people is that unlike
> walmart working at Aldis is a good job. They have a decent pay scale and
> benefits.


They're hiring cashiers for $11.50 and hour at the one in Savage.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Rhonda Anderson
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> What do you know about them?
>
> The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
> have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
> experience.


There is one in Penrith. Obviously the products available here would be
different to the products on sale in your local Aldi. However, in terms
of general reputation of the store - I know a number of people who shop
there, and have not heard anything bad. They say they save quite a bit
of money,and I haven't heard any complaints about the quality of the
products.I haven't shopped there myself. While I'd love to save some
money it's a bit awkward for me. Since they do just stock their own
brands, and there's a limited choice of some items, I would be unlikely
to be able to get everything there that I want to purchase. It's located
at the other end of Penrith from the main shopping centre (which has 2
supermarkets, seafood shop, couple of butchers, chicken shop,
greengrocers, bakers etc). For someone with a car that's not really a
problem, but we don't have one so it's a lot easier for me to try and do
the shopping in one place. It's not near the station either, which the
shopping centre is, so I can duck over to Woolworths supermarket after
work and pick up a few things if needed before going back to the station
to catch the bus home.

> The next thing I noticed was that the ground meat in the fresh cooler
> looked fresh -- sorry I don't remember the prices.


Obviously it's not going to be the same meat as over here, but I have
heard good reports on the beef mince (ground beef) at Aldi's here - good
quality and good prices.
>
> Then there was the strange little section that looked like it could
> have been Sam's Club -- there was a lounge chair (in a box) for sale,
> along with some other non-food stuff. Seemed very out of place.


Yep, the one here has this sort of thing on sale - I've seen ads for
electrical equipment etc.

The other thing I noticed was that that shopping
> cart outside could be procured for use for 25 cents - but you get your
> quarter back when you check out. Cool. They do it to keep carts out
> of the parking lot, I guess.


I've seen this set up at some supermarkets over here. The trolleys are
chained together, and you put a coin (it's usually a $1 coin here, I
think) in the slot to release the trolley. It stays stuck in that slot
while you're shopping.When you've finished with it, and click the chain
back in, the coin is released.


Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Saerah
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Melba's Jammin' wrote in message ...
>What do you know about them?
>
>The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
>have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
>experience.
>
>First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping carts
>from outside the building, not inside. Whatever. I knew that I had to
>pay in cash and I knew that they charge for grocery bags if I didn't
>bring my own. I'm not crazy about the cash only, but that's how they do
>it and they've got an ATM inside and they do take SOME debit cards (mine
>would work). I didn't pick up a cart because I wanted to keep my
>spending low and limiting it to what I could carry seemed like a good
>way to achieve that. :-)
>
>I spent $6.34, most of it in the produce department. I didn't plan to
>buy grape tomatoes, but they were 99 cents for a pint (very tasty they
>are, too); I didn't plan to buy mushrooms but they were 99 cents for a
>pint and looked good; I needed fresh garlic and two heads for 49 cents
>seemed reasonable (I'll see how fresh it is, I couldn't check there and
>haven't yet)


the aldi's near me has garlic for the same price. its not worth even that
small amount.


--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

CrzyBitch (3:25:06 AM): I'm a secret agent, and a princess




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Virginia Tadrzynski
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"George" > wrote in message
...
> A.C. wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > the one near my house requires that you slide a quarter into the little

slot
> > on the cart to unlock it from the rack and you get the quarter back when

you
> > put the cart back in the rack.
> >

>
>
> I believe that is SOP. I actually think it is a good idea after having
> cars bashed by carts that were simply left out in the lot by
> inconsiderate people who couldn't walk the 25 feet to put the cart in
> the rack.



My FBS and a buddy used make pocket change that way. They waited out in
front of the Super Fresh and asked the people leaving if they needed help
getting the cart to the car and that they would return the buggy for getting
to keep the quarter. My kid was one who was known by just about everyone
(inherited that my my father) so his approaching them wasn't a problem.
Most would let him keep the quarter AND sometimes give him a couple more for
helping them take the groceries out to the car. That was a good ten years
ago, but he is still proud that he was 'earning' $8-10 a day.
-Ginny


  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article > , Rhonda
Anderson > wrote:
(snip)
> Yep, the one here has this sort of thing on sale - I've seen ads for
> electrical equipment etc.


I forgot to mention that I picked up their in-store ad that starts next
week. Let's see: Electric skiller, stainless steel wok, waffle maker,
coffee maker, toaster, and toaster oven, beer glasses, wine glasses --
and some grocery items.. Interesting.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Virginia Tadrzynski
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
...
> In article >, George
> > wrote:
> (snip)
> >
> > One thing that I have heard from a number of people is that unlike
> > walmart working at Aldis is a good job. They have a decent pay scale and
> > benefits.

>
> They're hiring cashiers for $11.50 and hour at the one in Savage.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.



Being one of the people who do the hiring, cashiers at Wally World start at
$7.00.





  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Stan Horwitz
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What do you know about them?
>
> The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
> have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
> experience.
>
> First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping carts
> from outside the building, not inside. Whatever. I knew that I had to
> pay in cash and I knew that they charge for grocery bags if I didn't
> bring my own. I'm not crazy about the cash only, but that's how they do
> it and they've got an ATM inside and they do take SOME debit cards (mine
> would work). I didn't pick up a cart because I wanted to keep my
> spending low and limiting it to what I could carry seemed like a good
> way to achieve that. :-)


There are several Aldi's stores in the Philadelphia area. There's an
Aldi's only a mile or two from where I live. I shop there occasionally.
They usually have a package of frozen steaks for $10 that just can't be
beat. The ground meat at Aldi's is quite good. My parents shop at Aldi's
much more frequently than I do and the ground beef is one of my dad's
favorite items to buy there.
  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gregory Morrow
 
Posts: n/a
Default


> wrote:

> Greg, that's my experience here with the Aldi store ... the place
> ALWAYS smells like sour milk/spilled dairy. Puke.



Yup, if that's the kind of face a place presents to the public you hafta
wonder what it's like *behind* the scenes...

A few years ago there was a convenience store around the block. I'd go into
to buy ice cream or something and the stuff was always extremely freezer
burned or such like. Turns out the idiots who owned the place turned the
freezer and dairy cases OFF at night to save money. The health dept. soon
closed them down. I'm thinking, "Hey, this is not Syria or wherever (place
was owned by some Middle Eastern guys)". Some people :-|

--
Best
Greg



  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gregory Morrow
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Ariane Jenkins wrote:

> Yep, we have a couple of those, like really big dollar
> stores. One of them near us actually carries some perishable produce,
> oddly enough. I got avocadoes 2/$1 there--not huge ones, but hey, for
> .50... They also carried milk and an assortment of frozen dinners. I
> haven't really priced those, so I didn't know if it was a good deal or
> not. I did, however, buy a big bottle of IBC root beer, it's
> something I haven't had since I was a kid.



There was an article in the _Wall Street Journal_ or such like a whiles back
focusing on dollar stores. They are becoming a major force in retailing and
many manufacturers are producing products exclusively for placement in
dollar stores.

So I guess it's not just cast - offs or "odd lots" of stuff anymore...

--
Best
Greg



  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Carmen Bartels
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> What do you know about them?
>
> The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
> have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
> experience.
>
> First thing I noticed was that peple were getting their shopping carts
> from outside the building, not inside. Whatever. I knew that I had to
> pay in cash and I knew that they charge for grocery bags if I didn't
> bring my own. I'm not crazy about the cash only, but that's how they do
> it and they've got an ATM inside and they do take SOME debit cards (mine
> would work). I didn't pick up a cart because I wanted to keep my
> spending low and limiting it to what I could carry seemed like a good
> way to achieve that. :-)
>


Yes, it is a good idea to keep your spending down ;-) When we go to the
Aldi we have a list of things we want to buy ...
... and end with about double the amount as we always find something
interesting outside of the list.


> I spent $6.34, most of it in the produce department. I didn't plan to
> buy grape tomatoes, but they were 99 cents for a pint (very tasty they
> are, too); I didn't plan to buy mushrooms but they were 99 cents for a
> pint and looked good; I needed fresh garlic and two heads for 49 cents
> seemed reasonable (I'll see how fresh it is, I couldn't check there and
> haven't yet); a bunch of celery was 89 cents -- that seemed reasonable.


Produce is a strong point with the german Aldi. As so many people buy
there the produce has no time to become old and bad. They don't have
all of the produce a grocery might have and it is not as good as fresh
from the market but then markets are seldom open when I can buy so I
rely on several grocery shops plus Aldi, Lidl and Plus (2 other discount
stores) for it.


> The first thing I noticed about their bare bones operation is that they
> have their own brands that are packaged remarkably like the national
> brands of the same products. Colors and styles -- enough so that I
> looked at the peanut butter and figured it was either Skippy or Peter
> Pan (can't remember which, but it was very familiar). Their queso dip
> sure looks like Tostito's or Frito-Lay -- but it was $1.49 for a jar
> instead of $2 or $2.50. Might have to check that out another time.
>


It is a well-known secret here that they sell brand-name stuff under a
different name ;-) Looking at the packaging and the town the stuff
comes from I know quite well which compagny has produced it.


> The next thing I noticed was that the ground meat in the fresh cooler
> looked fresh -- sorry I don't remember the prices.
>


Same as with the produce, high turn-over means freshness.

> Then there was the strange little section that looked like it could have
> been Sam's Club -- there was a lounge chair (in a box) for sale, along
> with some other non-food stuff. Seemed very out of place.
>


They always have non-food stuff as special incentive to go to the shop.
What they sell is different from week to week and announced in flyers
and newspaper ads. Unfortunately the stuff is very quickly sold-out and
often gone already in the evening of the first day.

> When I checked out and paid, I asked the cashier if I could assume that
> since the packaging on so many things was so similar to the national
> brands, that they were in fact made by the same folks. She said I can
> assume that. Swell. The other thing I noticed was that that shopping
> cart outside could be procured for use for 25 cents - but you get your
> quarter back when you check out. Cool. They do it to keep carts out
> of the parking lot, I guess. I have no problem bringing my own bags --
> I usually do that at other stores -- I can carry four cloth bags of
> groceries in two hands without fear of breaking the bag.


You normally pay for bags in Germany and many shops have the carts you
pay for when taking and get your money back when you park them
correctly again. I like that system, it means the carts stay with the
shops and are not used for something else.

Carmen,
who will go shopping in some mins and really likes that the shop is
only 200 yards away.
--
Carmen Bartels elfgar@ATP, elfgar@Xyllomer
caba@irc
  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
Steve Y
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Aldi is German isn't it ? Here in Europe it is normal to collect your
trolley from outside the store. It's only in the UK that you don't have
to put a coin in to be able to take one from the rack. Probably explains
why UK rivers are full of trolleys !

Steve

PS I remember my sister commenting on the caravan park at Eurodisney
having places that were much bigger thna normal, Reason was that were
designed by an American used to Winnebagos rather than the Sheds on
Wheels that are used here. Sa


  #31 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gabby
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
...
> In article .com>,
> wrote:


>>
>> You don't have the outside storage lot for carts in Minnisota? Here in
>> the Bay Area most of the supermarkets store carts outside, have done
>> for a number of years. All that extra room inside in which to pile
>> goodies for you to spend your money on, ya know.

>
> We typically have 'cart corrals' placed throughout the parking lots --
> where yu stash your cart after you've emptied. Folks mostly pick up
> their empty carts inside the store, in the entryway between the two sets
> of double doors. Where some of the specials are placed -- pop,
> typically, and lots of others, now that i think of it.


Outdoor carts with a deposit required became familiar in some places in
Canada with the advent of Superstore. Some enterprising kids quickly saw
that as an opportunity and it wasn't rare to be approached as you were
unloading the cart by a kid asking if he could return your cart to the
corral for you.

My favorite aspect of Superstore had to be the advent of green box shopping.
We bought several plastic boxes which fit into specially designed carts (6
or 7 boxes to a cart IIRC). All groceries were packed into those boxes to
take home. No more plastic bags or need to carry cloth bags.

I miss that now that we don't live near a Superstore. The only consolation
is that our local Co-op makes a donation to the local children's hospital
each time you use a cloth bag or reuse a plastic bag.

Gabby


  #32 (permalink)   Report Post  
George
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, George
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>One thing that I have heard from a number of people is that unlike
>>walmart working at Aldis is a good job. They have a decent pay scale and
>>benefits.

>
>
> They're hiring cashiers for $11.50 and hour at the one in Savage.


Which is significantly higher than Wally. I have heard the typical pay
at Aldis is ~$18.00/hour plus they actually have a benefit package.

When our new state budget was announced it was mentioned that a
significant amount of the budget (which we pay for with those taxes that
everyone complains are too high) goes for the "working poor".

An example being the typical Wally employee who gets a little above
minimum wage and no benefits.
  #33 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ophelia
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Steve Y" > wrote in message
...
> Aldi is German isn't it ? Here in Europe it is normal to collect your
> trolley from outside the store. It's only in the UK that you don't have to
> put a coin in to be able to take one from the rack. Probably explains why
> UK rivers are full of trolleys !


At the stores I shop we have to put 1 into the trolley which is outside!

Ophelia
Scotland


  #35 (permalink)   Report Post  
Rod Johnson
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:50:15 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What do you know about them?
>
>The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
>have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
>experience.
>


Anyone know if there is an ALDI store on the north side of the Twin
Cities ? I thought I had heard that one of their stores in Little
Canada was robbed a while back. I can't find it if there is one.

Last summer I bought some of ALDI's Astra laundry detergent after
reading about it on the net. I got it in Rice Lake Wi. It was
supposed to be good stuff. When I was sawing last fall I had the cap
on my chainsaw oiler come off and soak my pants with half a tank of
motor oil. I treated the stain as best I could and washed it with
what ever good liquid detergent I had on hand at the time. I ended up
with a slightly faded stain left on the pants. I was about to
religate them to garage wear. Then the next time I washed I got a
chance to try out the Astra detergent and found that the rest of the
stain was completely removed. Man, it is good stuff. I want more at
$ 2.50 for 128 oz.


  #37 (permalink)   Report Post  
Saerah
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Tony P. wrote in message ...
>In article >, lid
>says...
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > In article >, George
>> > > wrote:
>> > (snip)
>> >
>> >>One thing that I have heard from a number of people is that unlike
>> >>walmart working at Aldis is a good job. They have a decent pay scale

and
>> >>benefits.
>> >
>> >
>> > They're hiring cashiers for $11.50 and hour at the one in Savage.

>>
>> Which is significantly higher than Wally. I have heard the typical pay
>> at Aldis is ~$18.00/hour plus they actually have a benefit package.
>>
>> When our new state budget was announced it was mentioned that a
>> significant amount of the budget (which we pay for with those taxes that
>> everyone complains are too high) goes for the "working poor".
>>
>> An example being the typical Wally employee who gets a little above
>> minimum wage and no benefits.
>>

>
>Ah, but then Wally World wouldn't be able to offer such low prices.
>


you mean, then Mall-Wart executives couldn't take home such big paychecks.
the prices are not that low, anyhow.


>It's funny - we want to have our cake and eat it too.
>
>Either you pay less at the register and more in taxes, or more at the
>register and less in taxes. Either way, you're going to pay for it.
>





----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
  #38 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dan Goodman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:33:43 -0600, Rod Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:50:15 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>
>>What do you know about them?
>>
>>The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
>>have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
>>experience.

>
> Anyone know if there is an ALDI store on the north side of the Twin
> Cities ? I thought I had heard that one of their stores in Little
> Canada was robbed a while back. I can't find it if there is one.


Go to http://www.aldifoods.com. Click on the store locator. Type in your
address, and it will give the stores closest to where you live.

Plugging in "Little Canada" and "Minnesota" shows a store in Little Canada
at 2350 Rice Street. The web page can show you a map.

>
> Last summer I bought some of ALDI's Astra laundry detergent after
> reading about it on the net. I got it in Rice Lake Wi. It was
> supposed to be good stuff. When I was sawing last fall I had the cap
> on my chainsaw oiler come off and soak my pants with half a tank of
> motor oil. I treated the stain as best I could and washed it with
> what ever good liquid detergent I had on hand at the time. I ended up
> with a slightly faded stain left on the pants. I was about to
> religate them to garage wear. Then the next time I washed I got a
> chance to try out the Astra detergent and found that the rest of the
> stain was completely removed. Man, it is good stuff. I want more at
> $ 2.50 for 128 oz.




--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood
Decluttering http://Decluttering.blogspot.com
Predictions and Politics http://dsgood.blogspot.com
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
John Arbuthnot (1667-1735), Scottish writer, physician.
  #39 (permalink)   Report Post  
Stan Horwitz
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
Rod Johnson > wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:50:15 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >What do you know about them?
> >
> >The one in Savage on County 42 is now open and I stopped yesterday to
> >have a look and perhaps pick up a couple items. It was an interesting
> >experience.
> >

>
> Anyone know if there is an ALDI store on the north side of the Twin
> Cities ? I thought I had heard that one of their stores in Little
> Canada was robbed a while back. I can't find it if there is one.


Why don't you check the store locator on Aldi's web site?
Aldi's web site is http://www.aldifoods.com/
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grocery stores keep scamming us Paul M. Cook General Cooking 14 03-10-2009 12:35 AM
Oriental grocery stores mkr5000 General Cooking 122 09-06-2009 07:52 PM
Grocery stores Dimitri General Cooking 65 17-11-2008 02:03 AM
Smaller Grocery Stores...??? Gregory Morrow[_65_] General Cooking 19 14-09-2008 01:32 AM
What are the grocery stores thinking? Nexis General Cooking 28 24-04-2006 05:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"