Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery stores keep scamming us

So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged items.
All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look

Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low price -
6.75
Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
11.99
Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low price
..65 a can
Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25

Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they think
nobody notices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook said...

> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
> think nobody notices.

Paul,

A greedy practice, for sure!

On the other side of that coin, my friend's wife works at Von's so she gets
to keep an eye on prices and when the time is right, she can fill their
freezer with next to nothing priced meats (plus her employee discount) a few
times a month. It's obscene!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged items.
> All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>
> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
> price - 6.75
> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
> 11.99
> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
> price .65 a can
> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>
> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
> think nobody notices.

You forgot to mention their ad items.

Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
10 lb potatoes $0.97
Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
Bananas $0.39/lb
12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more
14 to 16oz Kraft singles $1.49 (limit)

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged
>> items. All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>>
>> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
>> price - 6.75
>> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
>> 11.99
>> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
>> price .65 a can
>> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>>
>> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
>> think nobody notices.

> You forgot to mention their ad items.
>
> Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
> 10 lb potatoes $0.97
> Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
> bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
> Bananas $0.39/lb
> 12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more
> 14 to 16oz Kraft singles $1.49 (limit)
>

> --
> Dimitri

Whoa!!! Those are some good prices. Particularly the Pepsi. Around here
it is on sale for $8 per case.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged
>> items. All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>>
>> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
>> price - 6.75
>> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
>> 11.99
>> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
>> price .65 a can
>> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>>
>> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
>> think nobody notices.

> You forgot to mention their ad items.
>
> Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
> 10 lb potatoes $0.97
> Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
> bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
> Bananas $0.39/lb
> 12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more
> 14 to 16oz Kraft singles $1.49 (limit)

With "regular" prices like they have now, I am sure they can afford a loss
leader or two.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged
>> items. All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>>
>> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
>> price - 6.75
>> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
>> 11.99
>> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
>> price .65 a can
>> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>>
>> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
>> think nobody notices.

> You forgot to mention their ad items.
>
> Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
> 10 lb potatoes $0.97
> Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
> bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
> Bananas $0.39/lb
> 12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more

.....after all, my dentist is really hurting in this recession{;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:49:01 -0700, "Dimitri" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>You forgot to mention their ad items.
>
>Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
>10 lb potatoes $0.97
>Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
>bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
>Bananas $0.39/lb
>12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more
>14 to 16oz Kraft singles $1.49 (limit)

And their non-ad items. I flew through Von's after work yesterday and
snagged a nearly-ripe canteloupe for 50¢ that just happened to catch
my eye. Not savvy about marketing, but I doubt this would be
categorized a "loss leader" if it's not advertised? I mean, you can't
grow, harvest and transport canteloupe for 50¢ - along with an English
muffin, it made a tasty breakfast.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged
>>> items. All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>>>
>>> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
>>> price - 6.75
>>> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
>>> 11.99
>>> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
>>> price .65 a can
>>> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>>>
>>> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
>>> think nobody notices.

>> You forgot to mention their ad items.
>>
>> Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
>> 10 lb potatoes $0.97
>> Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
>> bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
>> Bananas $0.39/lb
>> 12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more
>> 14 to 16oz Kraft singles $1.49 (limit)

> With "regular" prices like they have now, I am sure they can afford a loss
> leader or two.
>
> Paul

And the answer is: Buy the lost leaders.

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> You forgot to mention their ad items.
>>>
>>> Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
>>> 10 lb potatoes $0.97
>>> Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
>>> bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
>>> Bananas $0.39/lb
>>> 12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more
>>> 14 to 16oz Kraft singles $1.49 (limit)

>> With "regular" prices like they have now, I am sure they can afford a
>> loss leader or two.
>>
>> Paul

> And the answer is: Buy the lost leaders.

If you can find them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

>>> With "regular" prices like they have now, I am sure they can afford a
>>> loss leader or two.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> And the answer is: Buy the lost leaders.
>>

> If you can find them!

Not a problem at VONS in addition they are owned by Safeway and it is their
policy to mark down meat close to the "Sell By" date. They are one of my
best sources for used meat.

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:07:32 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
> -->
> -->"graham" > wrote in message
> -->>>
> -->>> And the answer is: Buy the lost leaders.
> -->>>
> -->> If you can find them!
> -->
> -->Not a problem at VONS in addition they are owned by Safeway and it is
> their
> -->policy to mark down meat close to the "Sell By" date. They are one of
> my
> -->best sources for used meat.
>
> You buy used meat? I'm sure you meant cheap right?

LOL

Used meat is the common term here (RFC) for short code markdown meat.

I don't remember who started the term maybe Barb.

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:19:56 -0700, "Dimitri" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Used meat is the common term here (RFC) for short code markdown meat.
>
>I don't remember who started the term maybe Barb.

While traveling through Tennessee some years ago, I saw a sign
advertising "Used Cows For Sale." Odd the silly memories that take up
permanent residence, while more important ones are all too transient.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged items.
> All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>
> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
> price - 6.75
> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
> 11.99
> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
> price .65 a can
> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>
> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
> think nobody notices.

I think you'd probably be surprised at how many people actually do NOT
notice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> So now it's Vons. Last night there were thousands of yellow tagged
>>> items. All advertising "reduced pricing." OK, let's have a look
>>>
>>> Chock full of nuts coffee - last week regular price - 4.65 New low
>>> price - 6.75
>>> Ling Ling pot stickers - last week regular price 9.99 New low price -
>>> 11.99
>>> Friskies canned cat food - last week regular price .50 a can New low
>>> price .65 a can
>>> Bertolli pasta sauce - last week 3.65 regular price New low price 4.25
>>>
>>> Massive increase in prices masquerading as new lower prices. And they
>>> think nobody notices.

>> You forgot to mention their ad items.
>>
>> Tri Tip Untrimmed $2.47/lb
>> 10 lb potatoes $0.97
>> Chicken leg & thigh or qtr's $0.77/lb
>> bone in asst (1/4 loin) pork chops $0.97/lb
>> Bananas $0.39/lb
>> 12 pack Pepsi or 7 up $2.49 must buy 3 or more

> ....after all, my dentist is really hurting in this recession{;-)

When my dentist is hurting he encourages me to start chewing salt water
taffy again.