Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Hot German Potato Salad

HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
Origin: Dorothy Glaeser

8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
the pan and drain
Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons white flour
1 teaspoon table salt
Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
1 ½ cups water
Stir over medium heat until smooth.
Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
stick together.
Stir in the bacon.
Keep warm until service

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 11:21:19 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>

> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> the pan and drain
> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> 1 teaspoon table salt
> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> 1 ½ cups water
> Stir over medium heat until smooth.
> Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
> paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
> slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
> stick together.
> Stir in the bacon.
> Keep warm until service
>
> Janet US

If that seems like too much sugar, one could cut back on it. I
have a recipe that uses none (but less vinegar, IIRC). I posted
it on RFC a couple of weeks ago.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 11:21:19 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
>> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>>

>> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
>> the pan and drain
>> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
>> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
>> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
>> 2 Tablespoons white flour
>> 1 teaspoon table salt
>> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
>> 1 ½ cups water
>> Stir over medium heat until smooth.
>> Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
>> paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
>> slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
>> stick together.
>> Stir in the bacon.
>> Keep warm until service
>>
>> Janet US

>If that seems like too much sugar, one could cut back on it. I
>have a recipe that uses none (but less vinegar, IIRC). I posted
>it on RFC a couple of weeks ago.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

This is a mild sweet/sour sauce. The vinegar and sugar are equal.
(4Tbsp. equals 1/4 cup) The potatoes absorb the flavors, that's why
it is good to leave the pot on the heat at low simmer for awhile to
allow the flavors to marry.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 12:51:53 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 11:21:19 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> >> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
> >>

> >> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> >> the pan and drain
> >> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> >> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> >> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> >> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> >> 1 teaspoon table salt
> >> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> >> 1 ½ cups water
> >> Stir over medium heat until smooth.
> >> Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
> >> paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
> >> slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
> >> stick together.
> >> Stir in the bacon.
> >> Keep warm until service
> >>
> >> Janet US

> >If that seems like too much sugar, one could cut back on it. I
> >have a recipe that uses none (but less vinegar, IIRC). I posted
> >it on RFC a couple of weeks ago.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> This is a mild sweet/sour sauce. The vinegar and sugar are equal.
> (4Tbsp. equals 1/4 cup) The potatoes absorb the flavors, that's why
> it is good to leave the pot on the heat at low simmer for awhile to
> allow the flavors to marry.
> Janet US

To my taste buds, it's gack-worthy sweet. I hate sweet-and-sour. I
was pointing out that if that seems like too much sugar, it can be
reduced according to taste.

I might use 1 tablespoon of sugar or none and substitute something
else for some of the vinegar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>

> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> the pan and drain
> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> 1 teaspoon table salt
> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> 1 ½ cups water
> Stir over medium heat until smooth.
> Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
> paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
> slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
> stick together.
> Stir in the bacon.
> Keep warm until service

Thank you, will use when it cools down this autumn...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:05:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 12:51:53 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >If that seems like too much sugar, one could cut back on it. I
>> >have a recipe that uses none (but less vinegar, IIRC). I posted
>> >it on RFC a couple of weeks ago.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> This is a mild sweet/sour sauce. The vinegar and sugar are equal.
>> (4Tbsp. equals 1/4 cup) The potatoes absorb the flavors, that's why
>> it is good to leave the pot on the heat at low simmer for awhile to
>> allow the flavors to marry.
>> Janet US

>To my taste buds, it's gack-worthy sweet. I hate sweet-and-sour. I
>was pointing out that if that seems like too much sugar, it can be
>reduced according to taste.
>
>I might use 1 tablespoon of sugar or none and substitute something
>else for some of the vinegar.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I was just explaining the dish to others. No gack necessary.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Also Janet at the end, please say 'serving' instead of 'service', next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2020 12:09 PM, wrote:
> Also Janet at the end, please say 'serving' instead of 'service', next time.

Janet, please do what you wish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>
> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> the pan and drain
> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> 1 teaspoon table salt
> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> 1 ½ cups water

Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?

This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:51:44 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> This is a mild sweet/sour sauce. The vinegar and sugar are equal.
> (4Tbsp. equals 1/4 cup)

See? I knew you knew that :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
>> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>>
>> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
>> the pan and drain
>> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
>> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
>> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
>> 2 Tablespoons white flour
>> 1 teaspoon table salt
>> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
>> 1 ½ cups water

>Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
>
>This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
>
>-sw

the recipe author wrote it that way and she probably got it from
someone else.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 03:57:28 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:

>>>Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
>>>
>>>This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
>>>
>>>-sw

>>the recipe author wrote it that way and she probably got it from
>>someone else.
>>Janet US

>also, no one wants to measure out four tablespoons of vinegar

If you do the sugar first and then the vinegar, you can use the same
spoon!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 3:42:06 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> or On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:09:01 -0700 (PDT),

>>> I was thinking in terms of preparing and offering the food to diners.
>>> (Like the food is ready and setting on the table for family dining.)
>>> Are you thinking of the amount given to each individual or the
>>> physical act of dishing out food, or how many portions in the entire
>>> recipe?
>>> I believe that I have seen my way used but would appreciate
>>> clarification from someone.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>>It's a trifle British (or 19th Century), but a perfectly understandable idiom.

> I'd have thought/guessed that 'serving' refers more to a home context
> and 'service' more to a professional/hospitality context.

i'm not sure what the comment is about, but "a serving",
"serving size" and "serving suggestions" used to be common
things printed on packages here. i don't really see or
read too many packages these days to know if that is still
the case.

the ideas of serving dinner, serving someone at the table,
taking a single serving of some item, these are all common
concepts to me even if i don't think of them in those words
when i'm doing them (i just do things i don't necessarily
have to put words to things as i do them).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
>> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>>
>> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
>> the pan and drain
>> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
>> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
>> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
>> 2 Tablespoons white flour
>> 1 teaspoon table salt
>> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
>> 1 ½ cups water

>Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
>
>This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
>
>-sw

Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
really don't want someone dressing my salad, or sprinkling grated
cheese and hot pepper flakes on my pasta, same as I don't want anyone
creaming/sugaring my coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> >> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
> >>
> >> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> >> the pan and drain
> >> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> >> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> >> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> >> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> >> 1 teaspoon table salt
> >> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> >> 1 ½ cups water

> >Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
> >
> >This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
> >
> >-sw

> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> or sprinkling grated
> cheese and hot pepper flakes on my pasta,

I presume you eat pasta only with red sauce. It would be impossible to
prepare a proper Alfredo without adding the cheese in the kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
>> >
>> >This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
>> >
>> >-sw

>> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
>> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
>> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
>> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

>I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>to just having the dressing plopped on top.

Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
school lunchrooms.

>> or sprinkling grated
>> cheese and hot pepper flakes on my pasta,

>I presume you eat pasta only with red sauce. It would be impossible to
>prepare a proper Alfredo without adding the cheese in the kitchen.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

We only eat pasta prepared at home, we are not about to pay those
outrageous prices for a pasta dish that costs about two dollars to
prepare at home. In fact last night's dinner was rotelle with
homemade red sauce and saw-seege and there's more than enough for
tonight. A one pound box of pasta costs a dollar or less, same price
for a large can of crushed tomatoes. To prepare pasta one only needs
to know how to boil water... only utter imbeciles pay those outrageous
prices to eat pasta out. Alfredo is nothing special only we don't
need all those useless calories. We had a nice salad too, from the
first head of savoy cabbage. The market in town has a sale on celery,
a big bunch 88¢ BOGO. Now what to do with all that celery, thinking
something Chinese, but no rush, celery can keep a while in the fridge.
Just picked 5 yellow crookneck squash and eggplant is coming in, got 6
long skinny Korean and one short fat Italian... stir fry with celery,
garlic, cabbage, bok choy, and young green beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
Origin: Dorothy Glaeser

8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
the pan and drain
Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons white flour
1 teaspoon table salt
Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
1 ½ cups water
Stir over medium heat until smooth.
Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
stick together.
Stir in the bacon.
Keep warm until service

Janet US

======

Thank you

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
>>> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
>>> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
>>> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

>>I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>to just having the dressing plopped on top.

>Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>school lunchrooms.

I thought quality restaurants didn't exist and all restaurants feed
you shlopp and ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 2:13:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
> >>and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
> >>to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> >Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
> >even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> >packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> >school lunchrooms.

> I thought quality restaurants didn't exist and all restaurants feed
> you shlopp and ****.

He'd be amazed if he ever ate at a *real* quality restaurant. Can
you imagine a chef letting a salad out of his kitchen that wasn't
properly dressed? And none of this "Do you want Ranch, Eyetalian,
Blue Cheese, or Thousand Island?" You get the dressing that matches
the salad.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>> and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>> to just having the dressing plopped on top.

>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.

> I thought quality restaurants didn't exist and all restaurants feed
> you shlopp and ****.

No, there's the gold coin. All other restaurants are tiad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
> >> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
> >> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
> >> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

> >I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
> >and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
> >to just having the dressing plopped on top.

I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
quite enough to your taste.

> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> school lunchrooms.

Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 11:32:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 2:13:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:

>> >Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> >even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> >packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> >school lunchrooms.

>> I thought quality restaurants didn't exist and all restaurants feed
>> you shlopp and ****.

>He'd be amazed if he ever ate at a *real* quality restaurant. Can
>you imagine a chef letting a salad out of his kitchen that wasn't
>properly dressed? And none of this "Do you want Ranch, Eyetalian,
>Blue Cheese, or Thousand Island?" You get the dressing that matches
>the salad.

I believe he only goes to this -probably watered down- "Chinese"
place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 2:44:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> > >I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
> > >and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
> > >to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> quite enough to your taste.
> >
> > Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
> > even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> > packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> > school lunchrooms.
> >

> Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

I'm talking five star restaurants and those that aspire to be.

Even the quite nice place where I get a $10 meal-sized Greek salad tosses
the lettuce with the dressing. (Yes, I know _real_ Greek salads don't
have lettuce, but this is America.) Same thing with our Turkish restaurant,
although I don't often get the salad since their soups are extraordinary.

At ordinary restaurants, I don't mind dressing on the side, especially if
the alternative is to have the salad inundated with dressing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2020 2:44 PM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

So how do you prepare potato salad? Just plain boiled potatoes?

>>> I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>> and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>> to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> quite enough to your taste.
>>
>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.
>>

> Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

I thought the post was about hot German *potato* salad. Sounds like
he's talking about of oil & vinegar cruets and a green leafy salad on a
table in Brooklyn.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 3:06:50 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/12/2020 2:44 PM, wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> So how do you prepare potato salad? Just plain boiled potatoes?

> > I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> > a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> > quite enough to your taste.
> >>
> >> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
> >> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> >> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> >> school lunchrooms.
> >>

> > Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> > dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> > the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.
> >

> I thought the post was about hot German *potato* salad. Sounds like
> he's talking about of oil & vinegar cruets and a green leafy salad on a
> table in Brooklyn.
>
> Jill

We digressed a bit. I was amazed. I've never seen that happen on RFC.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 11:32:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 2:13:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> I thought quality restaurants didn't exist and all restaurants feed
>>> you shlopp and ****.

>> He'd be amazed if he ever ate at a *real* quality restaurant. Can
>> you imagine a chef letting a salad out of his kitchen that wasn't
>> properly dressed? And none of this "Do you want Ranch, Eyetalian,
>> Blue Cheese, or Thousand Island?" You get the dressing that matches
>> the salad.

> I believe he only goes to this -probably watered down- "Chinese"
> place.

Yes, the famous gold coin. Else he confines his meals to kosher
jewish delis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-12 2:44 p.m., wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>> I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>> and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>> to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> quite enough to your taste.

Different strokes for different folks. I am not a big fan of lettuce
salads and prefer most dressing to be served with minimal dressing. My
wife usually serves salad in a bowl and we add our own. Sometimes I can
get away with adding some dressing and tossing it and then I take my
share. She then adds at least as much dressing as I had used on the rest
of it, so she ends up with 3-4 times as much dressing as I use.

>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.
>>

> Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

I used to work with a guy who always wanted his dressing on the side.
My preferred dressing is blue cheese and I like a glob of it on top of
the salad and then I dip forkfuls of salad into the dressing as I eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >

>>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
>>> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
>>> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
>>> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

snip
This isn't a dish of potatoes with sauce poured over the cooked
potatoes no more than scalloped potatoes is a dish with sauce poured
over the cooked potatoes. The 'sauce' becomes part of the dish.
Janet US.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.

> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> school lunchrooms.

Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

>Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
>Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.
>
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.

>Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
>
>-sw

So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-13 11:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

>> Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
>> Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.
>>
>>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>>> school lunchrooms.

>> Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
>>
>> -sw

> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
> crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
> condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
> Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

I don't recall ever seeing packets in restaurants, but I imagine they
might become a lot more common post pandemic when people will be
eschewing anything that might have been touched by other grubby fingers.
I used to resent packaged creamers and sugar in nice restaurants. I was
used to pitchers and sugar bowls or cubes. I was surprised when out for
dinner with my cousin that he preferred them and talked about all the
nasty things that people might do to them.

I would imagine that individual packets of jams and jellies would be
more expensive than jar. Amazon sells cases of 200 for $34.23 CDN. or
200 jam, 200 peanut butter and 200 honey for $101.13. You can get 6kg
(13lb) of PB for the same price. The savings would be in the reduce
waste, though it should be noted that people often pocket some of the
extras for use later. I don't often have peanut butter in the house,
so I appropriate packages of PB to use for mouse trap bait.

Years ago when I worked in the Fort Erie area we often went for coffee
at a small diner. We would get coffee and toast. They would bring out a
bowl with a selection of jams and jellies. Toast with jam was 25 cents
(1978). I like cinnamon toast, for for some reason they charged 40
cents for that. I refused to pay the extra for cinnamon when you could
have unlimited jam packets for less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:48:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> >> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

> >Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
> >Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.
> >
> >> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> >> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> >> school lunchrooms.

> >Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
> >
> >-sw

> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
> crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
> condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
> Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

What do you consider a high-end restaurant? Denny's?

High-end restaurants make their own salad dressings.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:48:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> >> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

> >Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
> >Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.
> >
> >> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> >> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> >> school lunchrooms.

> >Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
> >
> >-sw

> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
> crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
> condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
> Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

Sheldon, have you ever been to a high-end restaurant? Ever?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:48:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
>>> Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.

>>> Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
>> selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
>> crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
>> condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
>> Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

> Sheldon, have you ever been to a high-end restaurant? Ever?

Yes, he dined at the golden coin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 1:36:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:48:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> > >Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
> > >Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.

> > >Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
> > >
> > >-sw

> > So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> > selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
> > crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
> > condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
> > Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

> Sheldon, have you ever been to a high-end restaurant? Ever?

I'm trying to picture Alain Ducasse letting his restaurant put out
packets of salad dressings. I think my head is going to explode.

Even much more modest restaurants make their own dressings. A
_bar_ in the next town over makes their dressings from scratch, FFS.
The creamy garlic at a local German restaurant tastes of fresh
buttermilk.

You can always tell whether a dressing is made from scratch: the
pre-made ones always taste cooked and like chemicals.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 1:36:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:48:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> >
>> > So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
>> > selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
>> > crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
>> > condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
>> > Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

>> Sheldon, have you ever been to a high-end restaurant? Ever?

>I'm trying to picture Alain Ducasse letting his restaurant put out
>packets of salad dressings. I think my head is going to explode.
>
>Even much more modest restaurants make their own dressings. A
>_bar_ in the next town over makes their dressings from scratch, FFS.
>The creamy garlic at a local German restaurant tastes of fresh
>buttermilk.
>
>You can always tell whether a dressing is made from scratch: the
>pre-made ones always taste cooked and like chemicals.

Yes, I think those packets are only for fast food joints and other
low-level places. No real chef would use them.