Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Hot German Potato Salad

On 2020-08-13 11:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

>> Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
>> Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.
>>
>>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>>> school lunchrooms.

>> Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
>>
>> -sw

> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
> crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
> condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
> Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

I don't recall ever seeing packets in restaurants, but I imagine they
might become a lot more common post pandemic when people will be
eschewing anything that might have been touched by other grubby fingers.
I used to resent packaged creamers and sugar in nice restaurants. I was
used to pitchers and sugar bowls or cubes. I was surprised when out for
dinner with my cousin that he preferred them and talked about all the
nasty things that people might do to them.

I would imagine that individual packets of jams and jellies would be
more expensive than jar. Amazon sells cases of 200 for $34.23 CDN. or
200 jam, 200 peanut butter and 200 honey for $101.13. You can get 6kg
(13lb) of PB for the same price. The savings would be in the reduce
waste, though it should be noted that people often pocket some of the
extras for use later. I don't often have peanut butter in the house,
so I appropriate packages of PB to use for mouse trap bait.

Years ago when I worked in the Fort Erie area we often went for coffee
at a small diner. We would get coffee and toast. They would bring out a
bowl with a selection of jams and jellies. Toast with jam was 25 cents
(1978). I like cinnamon toast, for for some reason they charged 40
cents for that. I refused to pay the extra for cinnamon when you could
have unlimited jam packets for less.