Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Hot German Potato Salad

On 2020-08-16 2:48 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 22:18:07 +0100, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>>> "Sense" is the in-word on most radio stations here. As in: "What is your
>>> sense of what happened?" or "Did/Do you sense that.....?"

>> And the reply almost always begins with 'So...'

> Yes, I caught an Australian woman on TV doing it yesterday. She was
> asked a question and her reply started not with Look, but with So.

From now on, you will notice every use of "so" at the beginning of a
reply, that you'll end up writing to the newspapers about it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 09:41:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.* I like
> the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.* Not Haute cuisine, but then you
> do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

> spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

> >> We're probably starting to tie our shoelaces together over what a

> high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
> "expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
> five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
> stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
> everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
> have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> > Don't get me started on a la carte. Once upon a time I won a $100
> > gift certificate for Ruth's Chris Steak House. (Sorry, $10 is
> > waaaay too much for a baked potato, I don't care what you "load it"
> > with. Ditto $11 for shoestring fries to go with the ridiculously
> > priced petite filet.) As to Sheldon's ill-informed notion of
> > "packets" of salad dressing, of course not.
> >
> > Jill

> I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets you
> lifted from some fast food joint.

Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 09:41:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.* I like
> the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.* Not Haute cuisine, but then you
> do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

> spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

> >> We're probably starting to tie our shoelaces together over what a

> high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
> "expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
> five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
> stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
> everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
> have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> > Don't get me started on a la carte. Once upon a time I won a $100
> > gift certificate for Ruth's Chris Steak House. (Sorry, $10 is
> > waaaay too much for a baked potato, I don't care what you "load it"
> > with. Ditto $11 for shoestring fries to go with the ridiculously
> > priced petite filet.) As to Sheldon's ill-informed notion of
> > "packets" of salad dressing, of course not.
> >
> > Jill

> I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets you
> lifted from some fast food joint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot German Potato Salad

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 15:51:26 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 8:51:34 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "dsi1" wrote in message
>> >
>> > The locals here love to go to restaurants. A lot of people don't
>> > have time to cook and it's great being able to get out of our tiny
>> > grass shack and sit with the clan. We don't often to go to fancy
>> > restaurants. Mostly, that's for tourists. We took our dad for his
>> > birthday at a fancy Waikiki restaurant. That was a pretty good
>> > idea.
>> >
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVPliErGi8
>> >
>> > =====
>> >
>> > Have you tried that beer??

>> I did not try it but it seems like of silly to me. I suppose it's a
>> lot of fun though. It's the opposite of your beer - light and really
>> cold.
>>
>> We've been watching some Brit TV and in a couple of them, the home
>> owner says "would you like a cup of coffee?" What the heck is that
>> about?
>>
>> In some of the programs, people will speak Welsh. That's like Hawaii
>> where the young people are taking to speaking Hawaiian. That's
>> interesting.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> What is strange about asking a visitor if they would like a cup of
>> coffee??

>dsi1 assumes you drink only tea I suspect.

Cultural stereotyping!

>He probably assumes Don and
>I drink coffee because we are mainland USA folks. Smile, just go with
>it and ignore when he gets silly instead of asking.

I remember that Ophelia doesn't like tea. That makes two of us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 15:03:50 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2020-08-16 2:48 p.m., Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 22:18:07 +0100, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> And the reply almost always begins with 'So...'

>> Yes, I caught an Australian woman on TV doing it yesterday. She was
>> asked a question and her reply started not with Look, but with So.
>>

> From now on, you will notice every use of "so" at the beginning of a
>reply, that you'll end up writing to the newspapers about it!

Look, I don't want to become a Grumpy Old Man!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 07:09:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> fix, they >> >>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.* I
> like the simple >> >>>>> breaskfast plates.* Not Haute cuisine, but
> then you do not go to >> >>>>> Denny's for that.

> spectacle >> >>> of a pepper grinder.

> a high-end >> > restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
> "expensive" while others >> > are thinking "Classic French, four- or
> five-star". The two sets are >> > not identical. You can spend a
> stupid amount of money at one of those >> > American steakhouses
> where everything is a la carte and the food is >> > no better than
> you could have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >> >
> >> >
> >> Don't get me started on a la carte. Once upon a time I won a $100

> gift >> certificate for Ruth's Chris Steak House. (Sorry, $10 is
> waaaay too much >> for a baked potato, I don't care what you "load
> it" with. Ditto $11 for >> shoestring fries to go with the
> ridiculously priced petite filet.) As >> to Sheldon's ill-informed
> notion of "packets" of salad dressing, of >> course not.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > What's their other famous side dish? Creamed spinach? Anybody
> > can make that.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> My favorite creamed spinach was from Horn And Hardart... now I make my
> own from home grown Swiss chard or from frozen spinach. Actually I
> considered Horn And Hardart a top drawer restaurant. At one time
> there were several cafeteria style eateries in NYC that put any of
> todays high priced eateries to shame; Garfields served fantastic food
> at reasonable cost.

Smile, high end is a matter of how we define it individually. My
definition doesn't include places with rediculous charges.

I rather like Dockside (Gary may well know the place, up along shore
drive). There's another I like, along the route from Dam Neck Naval
Annext to Oceana Naval base. I think it's actually on General Booth
not Oceana BLVD. AWESOME she-crab soup (actually He-crab sometimes but
AWESOME just the same). As you'd expect in a seaside area, we are very
picky about our seafood dishes.

My next best pick is one you'd not expect here but it's *very very*
good. Mi Casita. Mexican but more central Mexico, not at all some
'tex-mex' knockoff. Sure, they have classic 'Americanized'
Margaritas. They also have a unique American dip for your corn
tortillas based in a sort of white sauce that has since migrated to
Mexico and is very popular there. Developed here though right in my
area!

While the prices vary among those 3, all let you select your sides or
have menu variations that work for that, have appetizers, and are
generally under 30$ for a meal.

Oh, no packets at any of them. Thats drive-thru fast food places stuff
or Taco Bell.

Favorite place that might be a little Al-a-cart-ish? Subway. I like
the ability to select what I want on my sub.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 16:47:22 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Smile, high end is a matter of how we define it individually. My
>definition doesn't include places with rediculous charges.

It's a rare moment when we see a special kind of logic at work

(...)

>Favorite place that might be a little Al-a-cart-ish? Subway. I like
>the ability to select what I want on my sub.

Ah yes, the famous a la carte restaurant Subway
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 12:08:44 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 09:41:48 -0500, Sqwertz
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > It's all fancy 'curated' salts now. They now have separate salt
> > > menus that you order from like a wine list, some as much as $120 a
> > > gram. And a 'Salmelier' to help you chose the salts that are most
> > > compatible with your dishes. Then they weigh out your salts on a
> > > triple beam scale table-side.

> > I hate that word, 'curated.' There is no limit these days as to
> > what is called curated.

> Also, "Artisan" and "Artisnal".
>
> -sw

THat one drives me buggy about bread makers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 10:51:34 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 8:51:34 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > fix, > >>> they >> >>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.
> > I like the simple >> >>> breaskfast plates. Not Haute cuisine, but
> > then you do not go to >> >>> Denny's for that.

> > spectacle >> > of a pepper grinder.

> > > The locals here love to go to restaurants. A lot of people don't
> > > have time to cook and it's great being able to get out of our tiny
> > > grass shack and sit with the clan. We don't often to go to fancy
> > > restaurants. Mostly, that's for tourists. We took our dad for his
> > > birthday at a fancy Waikiki restaurant. That was a pretty good
> > > idea.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVPliErGi8
> > >
> > > =====
> > >
> > > Have you tried that beer??

> > I did not try it but it seems like of silly to me. I suppose it's a
> > lot of fun though. It's the opposite of your beer - light and really
> > cold.
> >
> > We've been watching some Brit TV and in a couple of them, the home
> > owner says "would you like a cup of coffee?" What the heck is that
> > about?
> >
> > In some of the programs, people will speak Welsh. That's like Hawaii
> > where the young people are taking to speaking Hawaiian. That's
> > interesting.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > What is strange about asking a visitor if they would like a cup of
> > coffee??

> dsi1 assumes you drink only tea I suspect. He probably assumes Don and
> I drink coffee because we are mainland USA folks. Smile, just go with
> it and ignore when he gets silly instead of asking.

I don't suspect that the Divine Ms. O drinks anything. What I said was that I have never seen anybody in a Brit movie offer anything else to guests other than a cuppa.

It's my assumption that people don't drink a lot of coffee in the UK because our hotel rooms never had a coffee maker stuck somewhere in the room. They sure as heck had an electric kettle and makings for tea. We had to go to Tesco and get instant coffee if we wanted a cup of Joe. We drank a lot of instant in the UK. You sure as hell won't be seeing American hotel rooms without a coffee maker. If you ask me, all Americans in the UK should be accommodated with a single brew maker in their rooms.

Please let me know if I'm assuming too much. If you ask me, I'd say your promiscuous fantasizing is a sign of rapidly approaching dotage. Why make up such narratives?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 15:30:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 10:51:34 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > What is strange about asking a visitor if they would like a cup of
>> > coffee??

>> dsi1 assumes you drink only tea I suspect. He probably assumes Don and
>> I drink coffee because we are mainland USA folks. Smile, just go with
>> it and ignore when he gets silly instead of asking.

>I don't suspect that the Divine Ms. O drinks anything. What I said was that I have never seen anybody in a Brit movie offer anything else to guests other than a cuppa.
>
>It's my assumption that people don't drink a lot of coffee in the UK because our hotel rooms never had a coffee maker stuck somewhere in the room. They sure as heck had an electric kettle and makings for tea. We had to go to Tesco and get instant coffee if we wanted a cup of Joe. We drank a lot of instant in the UK. You sure as hell won't be seeing American hotel rooms without a coffee maker. If you ask me, all Americans in the UK should be accommodated with a single brew maker in their rooms.
>
>Please let me know if I'm assuming too much. If you ask me, I'd say your promiscuous fantasizing is a sign of rapidly approaching dotage. Why make up such narratives?

In Australian motels, you get a few tea bags, some instant coffee and
the option to boil water. Isn't that all you need for instant coffee?
I mean, do you need a coffee maker for instant coffee?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2020 5:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 09:41:36 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.Â* I like
>> the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.Â* Not Haute cuisine, but then you
>> do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

>> spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

>> high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
>> "expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
>> five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
>> stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
>> everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
>> have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>
>>>>
>>> Don't get me started on a la carte. Once upon a time I won a $100
>>> gift certificate for Ruth's Chris Steak House. (Sorry, $10 is
>>> waaaay too much for a baked potato, I don't care what you "load it"
>>> with. Ditto $11 for shoestring fries to go with the ridiculously
>>> priced petite filet.) As to Sheldon's ill-informed notion of
>>> "packets" of salad dressing, of course not.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets you
>> lifted from some fast food joint.

> Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.

Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't eaten
at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't bring
home packets of anything.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2020 5:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 07:09:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> fix, they >> >>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.Â* I
>> like the simple >> >>>>> breaskfast plates.Â* Not Haute cuisine, but
>> then you do not go to >> >>>>> Denny's for that.

>> spectacle >> >>> of a pepper grinder.

>> a high-end >> > restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
>> "expensive" while others >> > are thinking "Classic French, four- or
>> five-star". The two sets are >> > not identical. You can spend a
>> stupid amount of money at one of those >> > American steakhouses
>> where everything is a la carte and the food is >> > no better than
>> you could have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >> >

>> gift >> certificate for Ruth's Chris Steak House. (Sorry, $10 is
>> waaaay too much >> for a baked potato, I don't care what you "load
>> it" with. Ditto $11 for >> shoestring fries to go with the
>> ridiculously priced petite filet.) As >> to Sheldon's ill-informed
>> notion of "packets" of salad dressing, of >> course not.

>>> What's their other famous side dish? Creamed spinach? Anybody
>>> can make that.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> My favorite creamed spinach was from Horn And Hardart... now I make my
>> own from home grown Swiss chard or from frozen spinach. Actually I
>> considered Horn And Hardart a top drawer restaurant. At one time
>> there were several cafeteria style eateries in NYC that put any of
>> todays high priced eateries to shame; Garfields served fantastic food
>> at reasonable cost.

> Smile, high end is a matter of how we define it individually. My
> definition doesn't include places with rediculous charges.
>
> I rather like Dockside (Gary may well know the place, up along shore
> drive).

Funny! There's a restaurant nearby called 'Dockside' (used to be 11th
Street Dockside in Port Royal but they had to move to Lady's Island
after Hurricane Matthew crushed the old location.) It's also very well
known for she-crab soup.

> My next best pick is one you'd not expect here but it's *very very*
> good. Mi Casita. Mexican but more central Mexico, not at all some
> 'tex-mex' knockoff. Sure, they have classic 'Americanized'
> Margaritas. They also have a unique American dip for your corn
> tortillas based in a sort of white sauce that has since migrated to
> Mexico and is very popular there. Developed here though right in my
> area!

There are Mexican restaurants down here that serve warm white cheese dip
with spinach. I bought some about 10 years ago to bring home after work
along with an order of tamales. Tasty!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 20:16:48 +1000, Bruce > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 02:47:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> apply >>> > > > > > themselves,

> Denny's >>> > > > > and Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.

> bring >>> > > > > > assorted packets of dressings... you're obviously
> used to >>> > > > > > dinning in grade school lunchrooms.

> offer a >>> > > > selection of packets... actually packets are far
> more sanitary >>> > > > than a crowd dipping out dressings from
> tubs... same is true for >>> > > > all condiments, including butter
> pats, coffee creamer, jams, >>> > > > syrups, etc. Also costs less
> as there's far less waste/spoilage. >>> > >

> him >>> > all about those fancy-eatin places.

> type >>> stuff and jelly. NOT for salad dressings. They are not
> high-end, >>> being just one level above fastfood McDonalds types.
> > >
> > > Denny's gets their salad dressing out of a gallon jar from the
> > > food service supplier, even if it arrives at the table in one
> > > of those little plastic cups.

> > I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.

> What a dumb putz... most Americans only eat restaurant food, typically
> from a drive through window.... and more so now than ever with the
> virus.
>
> And I don't consider Denny's a restaurant, it's worse than what Guy
> considers a Dive.

Sheldon, you are lost in a time gone bye-bye.

Most Americans don't eat out but once a month if that (Hawaii might be
the exception per dsi1). The difference only kicks in with lunch and
work habits. That one might result in a drive-through sort of spot as
much as 5 times a week. A trucker on the road might as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:05:57 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/16/2020 5:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.* I like
>>> the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.* Not Haute cuisine, but then you
>>> do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

>>> spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

>>> high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
>>> "expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
>>> five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
>>> stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
>>> everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
>>> have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>

>>> I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets you
>>> lifted from some fast food joint.

>> Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
>>

>Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't eaten
>at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't bring
>home packets of anything.
>
>Jill

The fact that you're both into heavy denial proves that yoose glom all
the fast food packets yoose can grab... if not yoose would just let it
slide and say nothing... heavy defendence is proof of guilt.
I've no doubt whatsoever that yoose two prevaricators have proven
yoose both have a fridge filled with fast food packets... I'll bet
yoose two haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in years. The only
restarant packets I keep are chinky fortune cookies that feed the
critters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 8/16/2020 5:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.* I like
>>> the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.* Not Haute cuisine, but then you
>>> do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

>>> spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

>>> high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
>>> "expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
>>> five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
>>> stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
>>> everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
>>> have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>

>>> I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets you
>>> lifted from some fast food joint.

>> Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
>>

>Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't eaten
>at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't bring
>home packets of anything.
>
>Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:47:49 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> The only restarant packets I keep are

As youngsters, we would take mustard & ketchup packets and line them up
on the train tracks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2020 7:47 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:05:57 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
>>>

>> Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't eaten
>> at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't bring
>> home packets of anything.
>>
>> Jill

> The fact that you're both into heavy denial proves that yoose glom all
> the fast food packets yoose can grab... if not yoose would just let it
> slide and say nothing... heavy defendence is proof of guilt.
> I've no doubt whatsoever that yoose two prevaricators have proven
> yoose both have a fridge filled with fast food packets... I'll bet
> yoose two haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in years. The only
> restarant packets I keep are chinky fortune cookies that feed the
> critters.

Oh Sheldon, you're so funny! Keep typing, maybe you'll make more sense.

No, I haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in years. Know why? Because I
don't like ketchup. There's absolutely no reason on earth I'd bring
home packets of ketchup, regardless of brand. I also haven't been to an
Asian restaurant in decades. So sorry, no packets of anything.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/14/2020 5:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > LOL!
> > >
> > > I am not really sure if Sheldon ever ate at a true high end place.
> > > Pre-Covid, even Denny's didn't use packets except for sweet-n-low
> > > type stuff and jelly. NOT for salad dressings. They are not
> > > high-end, being just one level above fastfood McDonalds types.

> > Denny's gets their salad dressing out of a gallon jar from the
> > food service supplier, even if it arrives at the table in one
> > of those little plastic cups.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I've only ever been to one Denny's and that was in Memphis. The
> service was horrific. We didn't stay long enough to get our meal.
>
> Jill

LOL, they all vary based on the manager. We have one by my local
choice of grocery store. once or twice a year, Don and I will stop
there for a simple, non-fancy meal.

Think of them like the old diners at 5-n-dime type places but just a
touch above that in what they offer. Remember the movie 'Grease'?
They are a little above that but not by much.

If McDonalds is a 1 star, these folks would be a 2star in scale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > I bet yoose don't know that
> > a goodly percentage of those peppercorns are dry mouse turds... any
> > time I ate out I brought my own pepper grinder.... I don't use the
> > pepper shaker on the table either, when yoose buy ground pepper a
> > goodly portion is dry mouse turds.

> HEY! I happen to like ground mouse turd pepper! Works for me.

LOL!

Anyway, he's on a rant epic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 09:21:13 +1000, Bruce > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 18:52:35 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > > That's really too bad. It sounds to me like you really haven't
> > > been to any high end restaurants.

> > Someone who cuts plastic mustard bottles in half to scrape out the
> > last bit of mustard, is way too stingy to ever set foot in a
> > high-end restaurant.

> LITTLE YOU KNOW, PRICEY EATERIES ADD A BIT OF WATER TO THE MUSTARD
> BOTTLE, SHAKE IT A BIT AND ADD IT INTO THE NEXT MUSTARD BOTTLE AND OR
> USE IT IN A RECIPE... WASTEFUL AS YOU ARE YOU'D NEVER MAKE IT IN THE
> FOOD BUSINESS... NOT THAT I EVER THOUGHT YOU COULD COOK A LICK.

Sheldon, are you ok? You are starting to sound very off and off the
deep end. I'm worried for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2020 6:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Please let me know if I'm assuming too much. If you ask me, I'd say your promiscuous fantasizing is a sign of rapidly approaching dotage. Why make up such narratives?

Not sure that is correct. I've been promiscuous fantasizing since I was
about 11 or 12. Puberty is a wonderful thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:05:57 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
>>>

>> Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't eaten
>> at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't bring
>> home packets of anything.
>>
>> Jill

> The fact that you're both into heavy denial proves that yoose glom all
> the fast food packets yoose can grab... if not yoose would just let it
> slide and say nothing... heavy defendence is proof of guilt.
> I've no doubt whatsoever that yoose two prevaricators have proven
> yoose both have a fridge filled with fast food packets... I'll bet
> yoose two haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in years. The only
> restarant packets I keep are chinky fortune cookies that feed the
> critters.

Popeye ... Yoose an asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 10:51:34 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > Ophelia wrote:

> > > fast fix, > >>> they >> >>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger
> > > plate. I like the simple >> >>> breaskfast plates. Not Haute
> > > cuisine, but then you do not go to >> >>> Denny's for that.

> > > spectacle >> > of a pepper grinder.

> > > I did not try it but it seems like of silly to me. I suppose it's
> > > a lot of fun though. It's the opposite of your beer - light and
> > > really cold.
> > >
> > > We've been watching some Brit TV and in a couple of them, the home
> > > owner says "would you like a cup of coffee?" What the heck is that
> > > about?
> > >
> > > In some of the programs, people will speak Welsh. That's like
> > > Hawaii where the young people are taking to speaking Hawaiian.
> > > That's interesting.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > What is strange about asking a visitor if they would like a cup of
> > > coffee??

> > dsi1 assumes you drink only tea I suspect. He probably assumes Don
> > and I drink coffee because we are mainland USA folks. Smile, just
> > go with it and ignore when he gets silly instead of asking.

> I don't suspect that the Divine Ms. O drinks anything. What I said
> was that I have never seen anybody in a Brit movie offer anything
> else to guests other than a cuppa.
>
> It's my assumption that people don't drink a lot of coffee in the UK
> because our hotel rooms never had a coffee maker stuck somewhere in
> the room. They sure as heck had an electric kettle and makings for
> tea. We had to go to Tesco and get instant coffee if we wanted a cup
> of Joe. We drank a lot of instant in the UK. You sure as hell won't
> be seeing American hotel rooms without a coffee maker. If you ask me,
> all Americans in the UK should be accommodated with a single brew
> maker in their rooms.
>
> Please let me know if I'm assuming too much. If you ask me, I'd say
> your promiscuous fantasizing is a sign of rapidly approaching dotage.
> Why make up such narratives?

Yawn....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2020 7:41 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Most Americans don't eat out but once a month if that (Hawaii might be
> the exception per dsi1). The difference only kicks in with lunch and
> work habits. That one might result in a drive-through sort of spot as
> much as 5 times a week. A trucker on the road might as well.

Depends on how you interpret "eat out". Really nice restaurant? Yes,
maybe once a month. The local modest priced priced family place?
Couple of times a month. Take out? Probably once a week for pizza or
sandwiches.

When the kids were grown and gone, we were able to eat out more often
and in better places.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/16/2020 5:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 09:41:36 -0400, jmcquown

> >>fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.Â* I like
> >>the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.Â* Not Haute cuisine, but then

> you >>do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

> >>spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

> >>high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
> >>"expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
> >>five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
> >>stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
> >>everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
> > > have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>

> > > I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets
> > > you lifted from some fast food joint.

> > Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
> >

> Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't
> eaten at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't
> bring home packets of anything.
>
> Jill

Yeah. For me, most 'frequent' fast food place is KFC. Been there
twice this year. The other one this year was on the ride to Fort Lee
(4 hours) and Charlotte and I stopped at Hardees for breakfast biscuits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/16/2020 5:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 09:41:36 -0400, jmcquown

> >>fix, they >>>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.Â* I like
> >>the simple >>>>>> breaskfast plates.Â* Not Haute cuisine, but then

> you >>do not go to >>>>>> Denny's for that.

> >>spectacle >>>> of a pepper grinder.

> >>high-end >> restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
> >>"expensive" while others >> are thinking "Classic French, four- or
> >>five-star". The two sets are >> not identical. You can spend a
> >>stupid amount of money at one of those >> American steakhouses where
> >>everything is a la carte and the food is >> no better than you could
> > > have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >>

> > > I'll bet if you opened your fridge there'd be a bowl of packets
> > > you lifted from some fast food joint.

> > Umm, Jill doesn't eat at fast food places, far as I can recall.
> >

> Not to worry, it's just Sheldon being his usual self. I haven't
> eaten at a fast food restaurant in decades. Even when I did I didn't
> bring home packets of anything.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 1:41:48 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 20:16:48 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> > apply >>> > > > > > themselves,

> > Denny's >>> > > > > and Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.

> > bring >>> > > > > > assorted packets of dressings... you're obviously
> > used to >>> > > > > > dinning in grade school lunchrooms.

> > offer a >>> > > > selection of packets... actually packets are far
> > more sanitary >>> > > > than a crowd dipping out dressings from
> > tubs... same is true for >>> > > > all condiments, including butter
> > pats, coffee creamer, jams, >>> > > > syrups, etc. Also costs less
> > as there's far less waste/spoilage. >>> > >

> > him >>> > all about those fancy-eatin places.

> > type >>> stuff and jelly. NOT for salad dressings. They are not
> > high-end, >>> being just one level above fastfood McDonalds types.

> > > I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.

> > What a dumb putz... most Americans only eat restaurant food, typically
> > from a drive through window.... and more so now than ever with the
> > virus.
> >
> > And I don't consider Denny's a restaurant, it's worse than what Guy
> > considers a Dive.

> Sheldon, you are lost in a time gone bye-bye.
>
> Most Americans don't eat out but once a month if that (Hawaii might be
> the exception per dsi1). The difference only kicks in with lunch and
> work habits. That one might result in a drive-through sort of spot as
> much as 5 times a week. A trucker on the road might as well.

As usual, yoose guys are totally out of touch with reality. What planet do yoose lives on?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db322.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 3:08:02 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/16/2020 7:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
>

> > Most Americans don't eat out but once a month if that (Hawaii might be
> > the exception per dsi1). The difference only kicks in with lunch and
> > work habits. That one might result in a drive-through sort of spot as
> > much as 5 times a week. A trucker on the road might as well.
> >

> Depends on how you interpret "eat out". Really nice restaurant? Yes,
> maybe once a month. The local modest priced priced family place?
> Couple of times a month. Take out? Probably once a week for pizza or
> sandwiches.
>
> When the kids were grown and gone, we were able to eat out more often
> and in better places.

Why yes, I can't wait to ditch those stinkin' kids. Then we can have fun, fun, fun, and do whatever the hell we want!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/16/2020 5:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:

> >>fix, they >> >>>>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.Â* I
> >>like the simple >> >>>>> breaskfast plates.Â* Not Haute cuisine, but
> >>then you do not go to >> >>>>> Denny's for that.

> >>spectacle >> >>> of a pepper grinder.

> >>a high-end >> > restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking
> >>"expensive" while others >> > are thinking "Classic French, four- or
> >>five-star". The two sets are >> > not identical. You can spend a
> >>stupid amount of money at one of those >> > American steakhouses
> >>where everything is a la carte and the food is >> > no better than
> >>you could have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef). >> >

> >>gift >> certificate for Ruth's Chris Steak House. (Sorry, $10 is
> >>waaaay too much >> for a baked potato, I don't care what you "load
> >>it" with. Ditto $11 for >> shoestring fries to go with the
> >>ridiculously priced petite filet.) As >> to Sheldon's ill-informed
> >>notion of "packets" of salad dressing, of >> course not.

> > > My favorite creamed spinach was from Horn And Hardart... now I
> > > make my own from home grown Swiss chard or from frozen spinach.
> > > Actually I considered Horn And Hardart a top drawer restaurant.
> > > At one time there were several cafeteria style eateries in NYC
> > > that put any of todays high priced eateries to shame; Garfields
> > > served fantastic food at reasonable cost.

> > Smile, high end is a matter of how we define it individually. My
> > definition doesn't include places with rediculous charges.
> >
> > I rather like Dockside (Gary may well know the place, up along shore
> > drive).

> Funny! There's a restaurant nearby called 'Dockside' (used to be
> 11th Street Dockside in Port Royal but they had to move to Lady's
> Island after Hurricane Matthew crushed the old location.) It's also
> very well known for she-crab soup.

It's a common name but ours is pretty good eats! Has a seaffod market
associated with it.

> > My next best pick is one you'd not expect here but it's *very very*
> > good. Mi Casita. Mexican but more central Mexico, not at all some
> > 'tex-mex' knockoff. Sure, they have classic 'Americanized'
> > Margaritas. They also have a unique American dip for your corn
> > tortillas based in a sort of white sauce that has since migrated to
> > Mexico and is very popular there. Developed here though right in my
> > area!
> >

> There are Mexican restaurants down here that serve warm white cheese
> dip with spinach. I bought some about 10 years ago to bring home
> after work along with an order of tamales. Tasty!
>
> Jill

Grin, might be similar! Ours is thickly creamy and redolant of herbs.
Apparently it spread from here to other places. LOL, they call it
'American chip sauce' in Mexico apparently. Has a hint in the
background that I think is horseradish?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 2:35:29 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/16/2020 6:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > Please let me know if I'm assuming too much. If you ask me, I'd say your promiscuous fantasizing is a sign of rapidly approaching dotage. Why make up such narratives?
> >

> Not sure that is correct. I've been promiscuous fantasizing since I was
> about 11 or 12. Puberty is a wonderful thing.

It's okay when men do it because men's fantasies don't hurt anybody. When females do it, it involves really dumb things about how other people think. That's not right! Women have no idea about how men think. Men have no idea how women think either but at least we're not fantasizing about their minds..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 8:16:53 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Yeah. For me, most 'frequent' fast food place is KFC. Been there
> twice this year. The other one this year was on the ride to Fort Lee
> (4 hours) and Charlotte and I stopped at Hardees for breakfast biscuits.

Years ago some of us would get Hardee's sausage gravy and biscuits to go
for our Saturday work breakfast. At the time, it's been a good while since
I've eaten them, their gravy and biscuits were the best around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 20:02:52 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Please let me know if I'm assuming too much. If you ask me, I'd say
>> your promiscuous fantasizing is a sign of rapidly approaching dotage.
>> Why make up such narratives?

>Yawn....

Yes, falling asleep on the spot is another symptom of "rapidly
approaching dotage".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>The fact that you're both into heavy denial proves that yoose glom all
>the fast food packets yoose can grab... if not yoose would just let it
>slide and say nothing... heavy defendence is proof of guilt.
>I've no doubt whatsoever that yoose two prevaricators have proven
>yoose both have a fridge filled with fast food packets... I'll bet
>yoose two haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in years. The only
>restarant packets I keep are chinky fortune cookies that feed the
>critters.

Definition of glom

[American English]

transitive verb
1 : take, steal
2 : seize, catch
glom on to
: to grab hold of : appropriate to oneself glommed on to her ideas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 18:30:44 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 3:08:02 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/16/2020 7:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>

>> > Most Americans don't eat out but once a month if that (Hawaii might be
>> > the exception per dsi1). The difference only kicks in with lunch and
>> > work habits. That one might result in a drive-through sort of spot as
>> > much as 5 times a week. A trucker on the road might as well.
>> >

>> Depends on how you interpret "eat out". Really nice restaurant? Yes,
>> maybe once a month. The local modest priced priced family place?
>> Couple of times a month. Take out? Probably once a week for pizza or
>> sandwiches.
>>
>> When the kids were grown and gone, we were able to eat out more often
>> and in better places.

>Why yes, I can't wait to ditch those stinkin' kids. Then we can have fun, fun, fun, and do whatever the hell we want!

I don't think Ed means 40 year olds when he writes 'kids'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:22:52 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 09:21:13 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>> > Someone who cuts plastic mustard bottles in half to scrape out the
>> > last bit of mustard, is way too stingy to ever set foot in a
>> > high-end restaurant.

>> LITTLE YOU KNOW, PRICEY EATERIES ADD A BIT OF WATER TO THE MUSTARD
>> BOTTLE, SHAKE IT A BIT AND ADD IT INTO THE NEXT MUSTARD BOTTLE AND OR
>> USE IT IN A RECIPE... WASTEFUL AS YOU ARE YOU'D NEVER MAKE IT IN THE
>> FOOD BUSINESS... NOT THAT I EVER THOUGHT YOU COULD COOK A LICK.

>Sheldon, are you ok? You are starting to sound very off and off the
>deep end. I'm worried for you.

You're a bit late with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegetarians not human?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 21:27:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>The things people come up with. Bruce, get a DNA check.
>
>https://imgur.com/gallery/iXNFHxD

Now I'm confused whether you posted that or Ed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 3:39:47 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 8:16:53 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Yeah. For me, most 'frequent' fast food place is KFC. Been there
> > twice this year. The other one this year was on the ride to Fort Lee
> > (4 hours) and Charlotte and I stopped at Hardees for breakfast biscuits.
> >

> Years ago some of us would get Hardee's sausage gravy and biscuits to go
> for our Saturday work breakfast. At the time, it's been a good while since
> I've eaten them, their gravy and biscuits were the best around here.

I have gone to Denny's to eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast. That kind of down home Southern fare is as rare as hen's teeth on da rock. The biscuits were kind of pasty and the gravy was kind of congealed but it was all we could get.

The Denny's in this town has been closed for months. My guess is that they won't ever re-open. My guess is that half the restaurants in this town won't ever be back in business.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 19:38:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 3:39:47 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 8:16:53 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah. For me, most 'frequent' fast food place is KFC. Been there
>> > twice this year. The other one this year was on the ride to Fort Lee
>> > (4 hours) and Charlotte and I stopped at Hardees for breakfast biscuits.
>> >

>> Years ago some of us would get Hardee's sausage gravy and biscuits to go
>> for our Saturday work breakfast. At the time, it's been a good while since
>> I've eaten them, their gravy and biscuits were the best around here.

>I have gone to Denny's to eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast. That kind of down home Southern fare is as rare as hen's teeth on da rock. The biscuits were kind of pasty and the gravy was kind of congealed but it was all we could get.
>
>The Denny's in this town has been closed for months. My guess is that they won't ever re-open. My guess is that half the restaurants in this town won't ever be back in business.

That must apply to many countries, especially if they get a second
wave. I guess that the first wave never ended in the US, because of
Trump's mismanagement of the crisis.