Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Hot German Potato Salad

On 2020-08-12 2:44 p.m., wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>> I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>> and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>> to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> quite enough to your taste.

Different strokes for different folks. I am not a big fan of lettuce
salads and prefer most dressing to be served with minimal dressing. My
wife usually serves salad in a bowl and we add our own. Sometimes I can
get away with adding some dressing and tossing it and then I take my
share. She then adds at least as much dressing as I had used on the rest
of it, so she ends up with 3-4 times as much dressing as I use.

>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.
>>

> Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

I used to work with a guy who always wanted his dressing on the side.
My preferred dressing is blue cheese and I like a glob of it on top of
the salad and then I dip forkfuls of salad into the dressing as I eat it.