General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 33,228
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast. I rubbed it with
salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking. Heated up two
of of the three burners on the BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
quarter. We tossed a couple foil wrapped potatoes on the burner to
bake. Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,217
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 10:26:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast. I rubbed it with
salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking. Heated up two
of of the three burners on the BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
quarter. We tossed a couple foil wrapped potatoes on the burner to
bake. Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.

If there's any left over I'll be there tomorrow for lunch.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 02:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,108
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On 6/28/2020 11:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast.¬* I rubbed it with
salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking.¬* Heated up two
of of the three burners on the¬* BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
quarter.¬* We tossed a couple foil wrapped¬* potatoes¬* on the burner to
bake.¬*¬* Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.


Sounds good. I'd skip the foil on the spuds though. Take a fork and
poke some holes to vent the steam. You get a better skin.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 412
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 Dave Smith wrote:

We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast. I rubbed it with
salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking. Heated up two
of of the three burners on the BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
quarter. We tossed a couple foil wrapped potatoes on the burner to
bake. Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.


Foil wrapped potatoes are not baked, they're steamed/same as nuked...
WTF did you do that... that's what cheapo restaurants do. Aluminum
foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
foods, especially on seafood or anything salted. Other than several
pieces of Nordicware bakeware (nonstick coated cast aluminum) I don't
own even one piece of aluminum cookware. The only piece of cast iron
I own is a gingerbread house mold (nonstick coated too). I cook/bake
on stainless steel/carbon steel. I own some glass/ceramic covered
caserols, but I never use them for cooking, they're used for food
storage/marinating.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,108
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On 6/29/2020 1:06 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

Aluminum
foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
foods, especially on seafood or anything salted.


My in=laws used to fire up the charcoal grill and then cover the grate
with foil to cook. Yummy, just like frying inside.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,217
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 12:06:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy.

I like aluminum foil if I have something to cover and I don't have a lid
for that dish. Usually something I've prepared and am going to give it
to someone. Some baking pans I will cover with foil for ease of clean up.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 412
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:44:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/29/2020 1:06 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

Aluminum
foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
foods, especially on seafood or anything salted.


My in=laws used to fire up the charcoal grill and then cover the grate
with foil to cook. Yummy, just like frying inside.


Likely better frying in a pan on the kitchen stove.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 412
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:26:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 12:06:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy.

I like aluminum foil if I have something to cover and I don't have a lid
for that dish. Usually something I've prepared and am going to give it
to someone. Some baking pans I will cover with foil for ease of clean up.


I use cheapo plastic containers for storage or giving... if they give
them back fine, if not no noticeable loss. I'd much rather reusasable
plastic containers than Aluminum foil.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,217
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 2:02:43 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

I use cheapo plastic containers for storage or giving... if they give
them back fine, if not no noticeable loss. I'd much rather reusasable
plastic containers than Aluminum foil.

Those Bob Evans containers that mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese
come in are great for food gifting. I slap a piece of aluminum foil on
top and tell them when the container is empty to put it in their recycling
bin. No need to return it to me.
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2020, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 966
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

Sheldon Martin wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:44:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/29/2020 1:06 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

Aluminum
foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
foods, especially on seafood or anything salted.


My in=laws used to fire up the charcoal grill and then cover the grate
with foil to cook. Yummy, just like frying inside.


Likely better frying in a pan on the kitchen stove.


In a goat barn?




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 417
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On 2020 Jun 29, , Sqwertz wrote
(in article ):

Every reat cook uses foil for something. Which explains why Sheldon
doesn't.


I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it. I tear off a
paper towel sized piece and use to season meat or a longer piece to season
ribs. I wrap cooked meatloaf and other foods in it for the fridge. I put it
on cookie sheets when cooking meat on them in the oven to contain meat
juices and ease cleanup. Ive even been known to heat up meatloaf in the
oven wrapped in it and cover turkey areas when they are browning too much.
I go through about 400 ft. of regular Reynolds Wrap per year. Oh! And it's
a must for my handmade tinfoil hats!

leo


  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,217
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:

I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it.
Leo

I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 412
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:

I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Iím using on it.
Leo

I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.


I use a cheapo paper plate.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,217
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:46:48 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:

I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it.
Leo

I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.


I use a cheapo paper plate.

That works well, too, and admit to using a paper plate on more than one
occasion.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,607
Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:

I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it.
Leo

I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.


I picked up a half-dozen plates about 4 inches in diameter that I use
as spoon rests. They sit in a stack near the stove and whenever I
need a clean one it's right there handy. They don't take up too
much room on my limited counter space next to the stove, so if I'm
doing, say, something with both a white sauce and a tomato sauce
there's no cross-contamination.

Foil, paper plates, and paper towels are too wasteful. The little
plates tuck into the dishwasher and represent a negligible use of
soap, water, and electricity to wash.

Cindy Hamilton


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roast beef sunday [email protected] General Cooking 216 06-07-2018 06:28 AM
Roast Shoulder or Chuck Roast Beef magnolia Recipes (moderated) 0 27-12-2004 05:41 AM
Roast Shoulder or Chuck Roast Beef magnolia Recipes (moderated) 0 27-12-2004 05:41 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2020 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017