Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunday night....... roast beef on the gas grill

We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast. I rubbed it with
salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking. Heated up two
of of the three burners on the BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
quarter. We tossed a couple foil wrapped potatoes on the burner to
bake. Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 10:26:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast. I rubbed it with
> salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking. Heated up two
> of of the three burners on the BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
> and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
> quarter. We tossed a couple foil wrapped potatoes on the burner to
> bake. Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.

If there's any left over I'll be there tomorrow for lunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2020 11:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast.Â* I rubbed it with
> salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking.Â* Heated up two
> of of the three burners on theÂ* BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
> and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
> quarter.Â* We tossed a couple foil wrappedÂ* potatoesÂ* on the burner to
> bake.Â*Â* Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.

Sounds good. I'd skip the foil on the spuds though. Take a fork and
poke some holes to vent the steam. You get a better skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 Dave Smith wrote:

>We had a nice looking three pound prime rib roast. I rubbed it with
>salt and pepper and garlic about an hour before cooking. Heated up two
>of of the three burners on the BBQ. I gave it 5 minutes on each side
>and them moved it over to the far side and gave it an hour and a
>quarter. We tossed a couple foil wrapped potatoes on the burner to
>bake. Fresh asparagus and a salad with blue cheese dressing.

Foil wrapped potatoes are not baked, they're steamed/same as nuked...
WTF did you do that... that's what cheapo restaurants do. Aluminum
foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
foods, especially on seafood or anything salted. Other than several
pieces of Nordicware bakeware (nonstick coated cast aluminum) I don't
own even one piece of aluminum cookware. The only piece of cast iron
I own is a gingerbread house mold (nonstick coated too). I cook/bake
on stainless steel/carbon steel. I own some glass/ceramic covered
caserols, but I never use them for cooking, they're used for food
storage/marinating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/29/2020 1:06 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Aluminum
> foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
> heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
> dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
> used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
> anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
> cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
> foods, especially on seafood or anything salted.

My in=laws used to fire up the charcoal grill and then cover the grate
with foil to cook. Yummy, just like frying inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 12:06:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I have a 125' roll of
> heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
> dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
> used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
> anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy.

I like aluminum foil if I have something to cover and I don't have a lid
for that dish. Usually something I've prepared and am going to give it
to someone. Some baking pans I will cover with foil for ease of clean up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:44:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/29/2020 1:06 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> Aluminum
>> foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
>> heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
>> dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
>> used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
>> anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
>> cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
>> foods, especially on seafood or anything salted.

>My in=laws used to fire up the charcoal grill and then cover the grate
>with foil to cook. Yummy, just like frying inside.

Likely better frying in a pan on the kitchen stove.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:26:28 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 12:06:58 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I have a 125' roll of
>> heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
>> dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
>> used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
>> anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy.
>>

>I like aluminum foil if I have something to cover and I don't have a lid
>for that dish. Usually something I've prepared and am going to give it
>to someone. Some baking pans I will cover with foil for ease of clean up.

I use cheapo plastic containers for storage or giving... if they give
them back fine, if not no noticeable loss. I'd much rather reusasable
plastic containers than Aluminum foil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 2:02:43 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I use cheapo plastic containers for storage or giving... if they give
> them back fine, if not no noticeable loss. I'd much rather reusasable
> plastic containers than Aluminum foil.

Those Bob Evans containers that mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese
come in are great for food gifting. I slap a piece of aluminum foil on
top and tell them when the container is empty to put it in their recycling
bin. No need to return it to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:44:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 6/29/2020 1:06 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Aluminum
>>> foil needs to be banned from all kitchens. I have a 125' roll of
>>> heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in a cupboard that's missing maybe 20', it's
>>> dated 1982 when I first opened the carton. It's been so long since I
>>> used any I can't remember what for but I do know it wasn't for
>>> anything cooking related, likely something artsy craftsy. I stopped
>>> cooking on aluminum many years ago, it leaves a terrible flavor on
>>> foods, especially on seafood or anything salted.

>> My in=laws used to fire up the charcoal grill and then cover the grate
>> with foil to cook. Yummy, just like frying inside.

> Likely better frying in a pan on the kitchen stove.

In a goat barn?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jun 29, , Sqwertz wrote
(in article >):

> Every reat cook uses foil for something. Which explains why Sheldon
> doesn't.

I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it. I tear off a
paper towel sized piece and use to season meat or a longer piece to season
ribs. I wrap cooked meatloaf and other foods in it for the fridge. I put it
on cookie sheets when cooking meat on them in the oven to contain meat
juices and ease cleanup. Ive even been known to heat up meatloaf in the
oven wrapped in it and cover turkey areas when they are browning too much.
I go through about 400 ft. of regular Reynolds Wrap per year. Oh! And it's
a must for my handmade tinfoil hats!

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:

> I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
> fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it. >
> Leo

I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
>>
>> I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
>> fold it in half, and put utensils that I’m using on it. >
>> Leo
>>

>I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
>recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
>rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
>regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.

I use a cheapo paper plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:46:48 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
> >>
> >> I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
> >> fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it. >
> >> Leo
> >>

> >I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
> >recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
> >rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
> >regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.

> I use a cheapo paper plate.

That works well, too, and admit to using a paper plate on more than one
occasion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
> >
> > I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
> > fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it. >
> > Leo
> >

> I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
> recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
> rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
> regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.

I picked up a half-dozen plates about 4 inches in diameter that I use
as spoon rests. They sit in a stack near the stove and whenever I
need a clean one it's right there handy. They don't take up too
much room on my limited counter space next to the stove, so if I'm
doing, say, something with both a white sauce and a tomato sauce
there's no cross-contamination.

Foil, paper plates, and paper towels are too wasteful. The little
plates tuck into the dishwasher and represent a negligible use of
soap, water, and electricity to wash.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:51:27 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:46:48 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:50 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
>> >recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
>> >rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
>> >regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.

>> I use a cheapo paper plate.
>>

>That works well, too, and admit to using a paper plate on more than one
>occasion.

Better than having to wash a dish. The paper plates we buy at BJs
cost $10 for a carton of 1,000, a penny each, which costs less than
washing a dish... and those paper plates are still good for feeding
cats before tossing in the trash. We often eat from those paper
plates, and since they are uncoated they absorb fats from fried foods,
cuts down on empty calories.
I think that those who live alone and insist on eating everything from
dinnerware makes them feel like they are serving company and not all
alone.
I often slice bread on a small cutting board, build a sandwich on the
cutting board and eat it off the cutting board... slice cheese,
veggies, and fruit on the cutting board... only a small board and a
small knife to wash. I learned to do that from a family from Belgium,
each family member had their own small cutting board.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 02:58:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
>> >
>> > I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
>> > fold it in half, and put utensils that I’m using on it.
>> > Leo

Why?

>> I was watching the late Jeff Smith one time a hundred years ago and he
>> recommended using either a bread and butter or salad plate as a spoon
>> rest. It works quite well as they're a good size and better than a
>> regular spoon rest as they're just too small. At least they are to me.

>I picked up a half-dozen plates about 4 inches in diameter that I use
>as spoon rests. They sit in a stack near the stove and whenever I
>need a clean one it's right there handy. They don't take up too
>much room on my limited counter space next to the stove, so if I'm
>doing, say, something with both a white sauce and a tomato sauce
>there's no cross-contamination.
>
>Foil, paper plates, and paper towels are too wasteful. The little
>plates tuck into the dishwasher and represent a negligible use of
>soap, water, and electricity to wash.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I very often use a piece of used printer paper folded in half or
quarters as a spoon rest. I save a stack of used printer paper to use
the unprinted side to print my crossword puzzles... afterwards it's
good for a spoon rest. I learned to do that with paper years ago
before their were printers... brown paper bags were used as scratch
paper and other uses, like book covers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leo" wrote in message
vidual.Net...

On 2020 Jun 29, , Sqwertz wrote
(in article >):

> Every reat cook uses foil for something. Which explains why Sheldon
> doesn't.

I use aluminum foil nearly every day. I tear off a six inch wide portion,
fold it in half, and put utensils that Im using on it. I tear off a
paper towel sized piece and use to season meat or a longer piece to season
ribs. I wrap cooked meatloaf and other foods in it for the fridge. I put it
on cookie sheets when cooking meat on them in the oven to contain meat
juices and ease cleanup. Ive even been known to heat up meatloaf in the
oven wrapped in it and cover turkey areas when they are browning too much.
I go through about 400 ft. of regular Reynolds Wrap per year. Oh! And it's
a must for my handmade tinfoil hats!

leo

====

I demand a photo of you wearing one! <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 4:58:34 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I picked up a half-dozen plates about 4 inches in diameter that I use
> as spoon rests. They sit in a stack near the stove and whenever I
> need a clean one it's right there handy. They don't take up too
> much room on my limited counter space next to the stove, so if I'm
> doing, say, something with both a white sauce and a tomato sauce
> there's no cross-contamination.

They are just the right size and very handy. Not too small and not too
large. No leaking either.

> Foil, paper plates, and paper towels are too wasteful. The little
> plates tuck into the dishwasher and represent a negligible use of
> soap, water, and electricity to wash.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I do put my paper plates in the recycling bin along with junk mail and
empty boxes and such.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 8:16:48 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Better than having to wash a dish. The paper plates we buy at BJs
> cost $10 for a carton of 1,000, a penny each, which costs less than
> washing a dish... and those paper plates are still good for feeding
> cats before tossing in the trash. We often eat from those paper
> plates, and since they are uncoated they absorb fats from fried foods,
> cuts down on empty calories.

I do like the coated paper plates and yes, they are good for giving the
cat a tidbit of something after I've eaten off of it. When my neighbors
had dogs they'd get a scrap of something or other or a bone presented
to them on a paper plate I'd eaten off of.

> I often slice bread on a small cutting board, build a sandwich on the
> cutting board and eat it off the cutting board... slice cheese,
> veggies, and fruit on the cutting board... only a small board and a
> small knife to wash. I learned to do that from a family from Belgium,
> each family member had their own small cutting board.

I've got one of those small cutting boards, too. Handy for slicing an
onion or tomato and yes, I've used it as a snack board for myself, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I do like the coated paper plates and yes, they are good for giving the
> cat a tidbit of something after I've eaten off of it.

I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.

Those cheap paper plates (not coated) are just cheap
paper plates. I would never use one for a real meal.
Sheldon is just a cheapskate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 10:39:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 4:58:34 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I picked up a half-dozen plates about 4 inches in diameter that I use
> > as spoon rests. They sit in a stack near the stove and whenever I
> > need a clean one it's right there handy. They don't take up too
> > much room on my limited counter space next to the stove, so if I'm
> > doing, say, something with both a white sauce and a tomato sauce
> > there's no cross-contamination.
> >

> They are just the right size and very handy. Not too small and not too
> large. No leaking either.
> >
> > Foil, paper plates, and paper towels are too wasteful. The little
> > plates tuck into the dishwasher and represent a negligible use of
> > soap, water, and electricity to wash.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I do put my paper plates in the recycling bin along with junk mail and
> empty boxes and such.

We're told that any paper for recycling must be clean and grease-free.
Not all paper plates (especially if used as a spoon rest) qualify.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 9:53:15 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > I do like the coated paper plates and yes, they are good for giving the
> > cat a tidbit of something after I've eaten off of it.

> I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
> check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
> to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.

Did y'all lick your butts in unison, too?

> Those cheap paper plates (not coated) are just cheap
> paper plates. I would never use one for a real meal.
> Sheldon is just a cheapskate.

They're fine for a sandwich, peanut butter and crackers, cheese and crackers,
potato chips, etc. Good for a steak? No. Good for a pork chop? No. Good
for soup? No. But they have their uses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:06:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 9:53:15 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > " wrote:
> > >
> > > I do like the coated paper plates and yes, they are good for giving the
> > > cat a tidbit of something after I've eaten off of it.

> > I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
> > check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
> > to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.
> >

> Did y'all lick your butts in unison, too?
> >
> > Those cheap paper plates (not coated) are just cheap
> > paper plates. I would never use one for a real meal.
> > Sheldon is just a cheapskate.
> >

> They're fine for a sandwich, peanut butter and crackers, cheese and crackers,
> potato chips, etc. Good for a steak? No. Good for a pork chop? No. Good
> for soup? No. But they have their uses.

I use a real plate for all those things. Pop it in the dishwasher and
it's done. I can almost always find room in the dishwasher to squeeze
in one little plate.

That said, I often use the same plate for more than one snack, or I'll
reuse a snack plate at dinnertime to hold a piece of bread with olive oil
drizzled on it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
> > check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
> > to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.
> >

> Did y'all lick your butts in unison, too?

Neither ferrets or humans (except for Bruce) lick
their butts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:06:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
> > > check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
> > > to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.
> > >

> > Did y'all lick your butts in unison, too?
> > >
> > > Those cheap paper plates (not coated) are just cheap
> > > paper plates. I would never use one for a real meal.
> > > Sheldon is just a cheapskate.
> > >

> > They're fine for a sandwich, peanut butter and crackers, cheese and crackers,
> > potato chips, etc. Good for a steak? No. Good for a pork chop? No. Good
> > for soup? No. But they have their uses.

> I use a real plate for all those things. Pop it in the dishwasher and
> it's done. I can almost always find room in the dishwasher to squeeze
> in one little plate.
>
> That said, I often use the same plate for more than one snack, or I'll
> reuse a snack plate at dinnertime to hold a piece of bread with olive oil
> drizzled on it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I do the same but don't even wait for the dishwasher. Just a
quick hand
wash cleans it just fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 10:05:10 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 10:39:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > I do put my paper plates in the recycling bin along with junk mail and
> > empty boxes and such.

> We're told that any paper for recycling must be clean and grease-free.
> Not all paper plates (especially if used as a spoon rest) qualify.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We've not been told paper plates must be clean but I do rinse them off.
Not because a dirty paper plate might be offensive to the sorters but I
don't want to put anything in there that might draw critters. Certainly
nothing in there that would knock me down with the smell when I open the
lid. All emptied vegetable cans get a rinse as well as that would also
make such a nasty mess in my recycling bin.

The recycling bins and trash cans provided by the city are the same type.
I have noticed on a lot of trash cans around the lid are chiseled marks
for lack of a better description. I think I've figured out its squirrels
and maybe possums trying to get into the cans but can't manage to lift the
lid and get in and get out so they attempt chewing the perimeter of the lids.

Any foodstuffs I have go in a Walmart or Kroger plastic bag and are stored
in the freezer until trash day. I know people with families have a LOT more
trash than me and this is not feasible. Foodstuffs would be meat trimmings
or bones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-30, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Every reat cook uses foil for something. Which explains why Sheldon
> doesn't.

Whatsa "reat" cook?

I seldom use foil. I agree w/ shelly, although I have no roll dating
back to '82. Toss it! .....fer dog sakes!!

Gonna try some /w ribs.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 12:43:59 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 2020-06-30, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > Every reat cook uses foil for something. Which explains why Sheldon
> > doesn't.

> Whatsa "reat" cook?

A "real" cook, of course. Have you no intuition?

> I seldom use foil. I agree w/ shelly, although I have no roll dating
> back to '82. Toss it! .....fer dog sakes!!
>
> Gonna try some /w ribs.
>
> nb

Everybody's different. My primary use of foil is in the toaster oven
or to cover a half-sheet pan when I'm roasting vegetables or baking
Tater Tots. I don't use foil very often, but it's the best thing for
some jobs.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2020 11:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I use a real plate for all those things. Pop it in the dishwasher and
> it's done. I can almost always find room in the dishwasher to squeeze
> in one little plate.
>
> That said, I often use the same plate for more than one snack, or I'll
> reuse a snack plate at dinnertime to hold a piece of bread with olive oil
> drizzled on it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

If its good enough for the Queen, its good enough for me! Rare to us
paper, maybe once a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:05:06 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 10:39:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 4:58:34 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I picked up a half-dozen plates about 4 inches in diameter that I use
>> > as spoon rests. They sit in a stack near the stove and whenever I
>> > need a clean one it's right there handy. They don't take up too
>> > much room on my limited counter space next to the stove, so if I'm
>> > doing, say, something with both a white sauce and a tomato sauce
>> > there's no cross-contamination.
>> >

>> They are just the right size and very handy. Not too small and not too
>> large. No leaking either.
>> >
>> > Foil, paper plates, and paper towels are too wasteful. The little
>> > plates tuck into the dishwasher and represent a negligible use of
>> > soap, water, and electricity to wash.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> I do put my paper plates in the recycling bin along with junk mail and
>> empty boxes and such.

>We're told that any paper for recycling must be clean and grease-free.
>Not all paper plates (especially if used as a spoon rest) qualify.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

We also use used paper plates to feed our cats, we don't put stinky
trash in with the recyclables so those smelly cat food plates go in
the regular trash bin... plus the regular trash bin is fully lined
with a large plastic bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 11:29:21 -0400, Gary > wrote:

" wrote:

>> Gary wrote:
>> > I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
>> > check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
>> > to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.
>> >

>> Did y'all lick your butts in unison, too?

>Neither ferrets or humans (except for Bruce) lick
>their butts.

Thanks, Gary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 09:28:49 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 10:05:10 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 10:39:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> >
>> > I do put my paper plates in the recycling bin along with junk mail and
>> > empty boxes and such.

>> We're told that any paper for recycling must be clean and grease-free.
>> Not all paper plates (especially if used as a spoon rest) qualify.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>We've not been told paper plates must be clean but I do rinse them off.
>Not because a dirty paper plate might be offensive to the sorters but I
>don't want to put anything in there that might draw critters. Certainly
>nothing in there that would knock me down with the smell when I open the
>lid. All emptied vegetable cans get a rinse as well as that would also
>make such a nasty mess in my recycling bin.
>
>The recycling bins and trash cans provided by the city are the same type.
>I have noticed on a lot of trash cans around the lid are chiseled marks
>for lack of a better description. I think I've figured out its squirrels
>and maybe possums trying to get into the cans but can't manage to lift the
>lid and get in and get out so they attempt chewing the perimeter of the lids.
>
>Any foodstuffs I have go in a Walmart or Kroger plastic bag and are stored
>in the freezer until trash day. I know people with families have a LOT more
>trash than me and this is not feasible. Foodstuffs would be meat trimmings
>or bones.

Nothing the critters eat go in our trash bin. Meat trimmings get
tossed outside and the crows make quick work of it. Vegetable
trimmings go out for the deer, rabbits, etal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

" wrote:

> I do like the coated paper plates and yes, they are good for giving the
> cat a tidbit of something after I've eaten off of it.

I always use real dinner plates and I always let my ferrets
check out each meal and eat right off that if they cared
to. No worries, we all shared the household germs.

Those cheap paper plates (not coated) are just cheap
paper plates. I would never use one for a real meal.
Sheldon is just a cheapskate.

====

Gary!! Do you have some of your lovely ferrets again?? )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 09:59:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 12:43:59 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> On 2020-06-30, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>> > Every reat cook uses foil for something. Which explains why Sheldon
>> > doesn't.

>> Whatsa "reat" cook?

>A "real" cook, of course. Have you no intuition?

Someone with an IQ would have surmised "reat cook" = "great cook".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:05:06 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> They are just the right size and very handy. Not too small and not too
>>> large. No leaking either.

>>> I do put my paper plates in the recycling bin along with junk mail and
>>> empty boxes and such.

>> We're told that any paper for recycling must be clean and grease-free.
>> Not all paper plates (especially if used as a spoon rest) qualify.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> We also use used paper plates to feed our cats, we don't put stinky
> trash in with the recyclables so those smelly cat food plates go in
> the regular trash bin... plus the regular trash bin is fully lined
> with a large plastic bag.

But Popeye, don't yoose trow all yoose garbage out yoose window?

When did yoose stop? Health dept. visit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 09:59:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Whatsa "reat" cook?

>> A "real" cook, of course. Have you no intuition?

> Someone with an IQ would have surmised "reat cook" = "great cook".

Popeye, everyone knows yoose IQ is infinity. And evabody knows dat
yoose be the only cook in the universe!

Yoose Yoonique.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 11:29:21 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> >> Did y'all lick your butts in unison, too?

> >Neither ferrets or humans (except for Bruce) lick
> >their butts.

> Thanks, Gary.

Yes. That was uncalled for. I do apologize.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2020 04:57:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >Neither ferrets or humans (except for Bruce) lick
>> >their butts.

>> Thanks, Gary.

>Yes. That was uncalled for. I do apologize.

No worries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> Any foodstuffs I have go in a Walmart or Kroger plastic bag and are stored
> in the freezer until trash day. Foodstuffs would be meat trimmings
> or bones.

Yoose could make a nice stock/broth out of those before
tossing them out.