Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My ongoing pizza trouble

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 8:34:36 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 1:16:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 1:02:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9ek6sGqFXHtM5r
> > >

> > Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

> *I* don't want ANYTHING by that Jeff Bezos' Amazon on MY computer, thank you very much!
>
> John Kuthe...

I like to make rules to make my life easier. You like to make rules to make your life harder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 8:16:52 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 1:02:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9ek6sGqFXHtM5r
> >

> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Blueberry and marshmallow pizza? Sure, why not! It would be a good idea to add the marshmallows when the crust is almost done. One of these days, I'll make a chocolate and marshmallow pizza with a sweet whole wheat crust. That would be cool.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...PSvVDKAvUcPTLU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 1:34:36 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:

> *I* don't want ANYTHING by that Jeff Bezos' Amazon on MY computer, thank you very much!

John Kuthe... - Perpetually stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:55:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 8:16:52 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 1:02:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9ek6sGqFXHtM5r
>> >

>> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

>Blueberry and marshmallow pizza? Sure, why not! It would be a good idea to add the marshmallows when the crust is almost done. One of these days, I'll make a chocolate and marshmallow pizza with a sweet whole wheat crust. That would be cool.

Amazing how mainland culture has taken over on your rock
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 4:58:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> > > Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
> > > Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to
> > > nicley brown before burning top.
> > > I tried up top in oven and down low.
> > > I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
> > > The pies are really good but could be better.
> > > What do I need to do to get the crust better?

> > This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in pans.
> > Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating the pans
> > generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for effect) so that the
> > bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal "high" home oven
> > temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a crunchy bottom, not a
> > real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and it happens before the top
> > gets burnt.
> >
> > (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in the
> > fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
> >
> > (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I live in
> > a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a "center chimney
> > colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five fireplaces and one
> > ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for pizza (or any wood-fired
> > bread) except for the fact that the last owner who "renovated" the place
> > covered over the oven with a wood (wood! you know, like the stuff that
> > burns!) facing. In years of looking at it, I haven't figured our how to
> > return it to usability without destroying an entire wall in the kitchen.)
> >
> > --
> > Silvar Beitel

> I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option. I'll make it about 50%
> of the time. I like to make it for the kids - they seem to like it better.
> As it goes, it's easier to eat because it's easy to bite into. OTOH, here's
> a picture of a regular crust pizza.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt
>
> ==
>
> oooh that look lovely. I tend to spread tom paste on the top, put the
> filling on and cover with cheese. What do you do differently? Is that the
> fried pizza?

This is a pie with a fried crust. I use a pan with a raised edges for those. This one has pineapple on it. Pineapple is the greatest advancement in pizza making in the last 40 years.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...4m5rvOETlbZp7p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 10:05:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:55:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

> >Blueberry and marshmallow pizza? Sure, why not! It would be a good idea to add the marshmallows when the crust is almost done. One of these days, I'll make a chocolate and marshmallow pizza with a sweet whole wheat crust. That would be cool.

> Amazing how mainland culture has taken over on your rock

I fully acknowledge that to be the case. That's only natural in this connected world. I'm not going to worry about the natural progression of things. OTOH, we really need a way to keep those pesky tourists out of here.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...s-story-322919
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:19:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 10:05:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:55:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Blueberry and marshmallow pizza? Sure, why not! It would be a good idea to add the marshmallows when the crust is almost done. One of these days, I'll make a chocolate and marshmallow pizza with a sweet whole wheat crust. That would be cool.

>> Amazing how mainland culture has taken over on your rock

>I fully acknowledge that to be the case. That's only natural in this connected world. I'm not going to worry about the natural progression of things. OTOH, we really need a way to keep those pesky tourists out of here.

Most newly found cases in Australia also come from foreigners coming
in. I hope they make them quarantine at least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bought a perf pan. Thanks.
I think my yeast is dead.. big bag, 1lb of saf.
On to new everything. I do like the pan idea unless you guys gals suggest other.

2 tsp in water 95 deg, one tsp sugar, 20 minutes, nothing. Looks like clear mud. No bubble action.

Starting over...will reply when I figure it out. Thanks for helping
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 2:00:57 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 2020-06-20 11:13 a.m., Silvar Beitel wrote:

> >> Is the 75% hydration for bread or AP flour? It seems a bit high for "00"
> >> Italian flour.
> >> Graham

> > Bread flour, specifically King Arthur. I never remember to put OO on my grocery list, so I've never tried it. But thanks to you, it's on there now. :-) And of course, if you think your dough is too wet, you can always work in a bit more while you're handling it.
> > I make mine in the food processor using the dough blade so it's easy to

> adjust the hydration. When you try the "00", start off at 65% the add a
> bit more water if you feel you need to. You should be OK to 70%. You
> will find the crust is more tender. My teenager grandchildren raved
> about the crust when I first made it for them. As a result, I
> occasionally have to make a bunch of these bases for my son's family.

Thanks for the guidance.

I always make more pizza dough than I need and do something else with the excess. I usually simply bake a small loaf of uninteresting bread with the mid-range doughs but have discovered that the really goopy doughs make great English muffins the next day.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 2:05:43 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > These new-fangled appliances are amazing; it even cleans itself.
> >

> Will it function as an air fryer?

No, but I've got one those, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-20 4:53 a.m., Daniel wrote:

> Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar.

Okay. I'll bite. If you proudly just wing it, why do you want to know
about tried and true recipes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel > writes:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 12:46:05 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:

>> > I just measure the flour and water by weight. At high hydration,
>> > I doubt storage room or proofing box humidity make much of a
>> > difference, but I don't have enough experience to be certain.
>> >

>> Is the 75% hydration for bread or AP flour? It seems a bit high for "00"
>> Italian flour.
>> Graham

> Bread flour, specifically King Arthur. I never remember to put OO on
> my grocery list, so I've never tried it. But thanks to you, it's on
> there now. :-) And of course, if you think your dough is too wet, you
> can always work in a bit more while you're handling it.

I've never heard of 00 flour until now. Researching...
--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-20 3:41 p.m., Daniel wrote:
> Silvar Beitel > writes:

>>> Is the 75% hydration for bread or AP flour? It seems a bit high for "00"
>>> Italian flour.
>>> Graham

>> Bread flour, specifically King Arthur. I never remember to put OO on
>> my grocery list, so I've never tried it. But thanks to you, it's on
>> there now. :-) And of course, if you think your dough is too wet, you
>> can always work in a bit more while you're handling it.

> I've never heard of 00 flour until now. Researching...

You'll find it in Italian stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent > writes:

> On 6/20/2020 10:13 AM, Silvar Beitel wrote:

>>> Is the 75% hydration for bread or AP flour? It seems a bit high for "00"
>>> Italian flour.
>>> Graham

>> Bread flour, specifically King Arthur. I never remember to put OO
>> on my grocery list, so I've never tried it. But thanks to you, it's
>> on there now. :-) And of course, if you think your dough is too wet,
>> you can always work in a bit more while you're handling it.
>>

> anyone tried to create their own 00 flour using a Vitamix?

It never occured to me but that would entail a bunch of little
batches. When would you consider it complete?

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel > writes:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 4:53:27 AM UTC-4, Daniel wrote:
>> Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
>> recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar.

> I have experimented for years and have settled on this. It's fairly thick but easily spreadable and for me, it just ain't pizza unless it has fennel in the sauce.
>
> 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
> 8 oz. can of tomato paste
> 1 Tbsp. dry Italian herb blend
> 1/2 tsp. salt (or more or less, depending on the salt in the tomato sauce and paste)
> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
> 1 tsp. fennel seeds
>
> Stir it all together in a plastic container (old peanut butter jar is perfect). Use some for your current pizza(s), throw the jar in the freezer for next time(s).

Ohhhhh that looks good. I'll give it a try.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
> sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
> spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you want it
> to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's just
> a regular one.

I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
sauce:

8 oz can plain tomato sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 garlic clove crushed (just because)

Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes the
pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
it.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2020 3:58 PM, Daniel wrote:
> Taxed and Spent > writes:

>>> Bread flour, specifically King Arthur. I never remember to put OO
>>> on my grocery list, so I've never tried it. But thanks to you, it's
>>> on there now. :-) And of course, if you think your dough is too wet,
>>> you can always work in a bit more while you're handling it.
>>>

>> anyone tried to create their own 00 flour using a Vitamix?

> It never occured to me but that would entail a bunch of little
> batches. When would you consider it complete?

I have no idea - looking for anyone who has done this to pass along some
tips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 4:58:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> > > Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
> > > Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to
> > > nicley brown before burning top.
> > > I tried up top in oven and down low.
> > > I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
> > > The pies are really good but could be better.
> > > What do I need to do to get the crust better?

> > This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in pans.
> > Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating the pans
> > generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for effect) so that
> > the
> > bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal "high" home oven
> > temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a crunchy bottom, not a
> > real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and it happens before the
> > top
> > gets burnt.
> >
> > (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in
> > the
> > fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
> >
> > (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I live
> > in
> > a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a "center chimney
> > colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five fireplaces and one
> > ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for pizza (or any wood-fired
> > bread) except for the fact that the last owner who "renovated" the place
> > covered over the oven with a wood (wood! you know, like the stuff that
> > burns!) facing. In years of looking at it, I haven't figured our how to
> > return it to usability without destroying an entire wall in the
> > kitchen.)
> >
> > --
> > Silvar Beitel

> I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option. I'll make it about
> 50%
> of the time. I like to make it for the kids - they seem to like it better.
> As it goes, it's easier to eat because it's easy to bite into. OTOH,
> here's
> a picture of a regular crust pizza.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt
>
> ==
>
> oooh that look lovely. I tend to spread tom paste on the top, put the
> filling on and cover with cheese. What do you do differently? Is that
> the
> fried pizza?

I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you want
it to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's
just a regular one.

If I got a jar of pesto, I'll use that.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9ek6sGqFXHtM5r

==

That looks lovely and I would have no problem, but D. won't won't eat
pesto( Actually, I ought to try it sometime. He is starting to like
things he never did in the past!! Who knows... but it could be worth a
try)

I don't know that spaghetti seasoning is

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message news
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:19:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 10:05:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:55:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Blueberry and marshmallow pizza? Sure, why not! It would be a good idea
>> >to add the marshmallows when the crust is almost done. One of these
>> >days, I'll make a chocolate and marshmallow pizza with a sweet whole
>> >wheat crust. That would be cool.

>> Amazing how mainland culture has taken over on your rock

>I fully acknowledge that to be the case. That's only natural in this
>connected world. I'm not going to worry about the natural progression of
>things. OTOH, we really need a way to keep those pesky tourists out of
>here.

Most newly found cases in Australia also come from foreigners coming
in. I hope they make them quarantine at least.

===

My daughter and family in Germany are desperate to come to visit this
summer (yes were are desperate to see them too) but it looks like it won't
happen(((

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Daniel" wrote in message ...

Silvar Beitel > writes:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 12:46:05 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:

>> > I just measure the flour and water by weight. At high hydration,
>> > I doubt storage room or proofing box humidity make much of a
>> > difference, but I don't have enough experience to be certain.
>> >

>> Is the 75% hydration for bread or AP flour? It seems a bit high for "00"
>> Italian flour.
>> Graham

> Bread flour, specifically King Arthur. I never remember to put OO on
> my grocery list, so I've never tried it. But thanks to you, it's on
> there now. :-) And of course, if you think your dough is too wet, you
> can always work in a bit more while you're handling it.

I've never heard of 00 flour until now. Researching...

Daniel

===

I have had some 00 flour in my pantry for a very long time. I can't
remember what I used it for and I don't have clue how to use it now

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Ed Pawlowski writes:
>
> Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar.

I put a large can of whole peeled tomatoes through my Foley food mill
to remove the seeds, then add a big pinch of Italian herbs, and that's
it... pizza sauce is not cooked... it gets cooked when baking the
pizza, otherwise in a hot pizza oven it will caramelize (turn brown)
and taste nasty. Many people think pasta sauce needs hours of
cooking, not true... pasta sauce is simmered very low, very briefly,
with long cooking it too will caramelize, turn brown and taste nothing
of tomatoes. I sometimes use crushed tomatoes for pasta sauce but if
I have time I prefer using whole canned tomatoes with seeds removed
with a food mill.

I grow lots of romas but don't use them for sauce, too labor intensive
to remove the skins, the seeds, and then need to remove all that
excess water, reducing tomatoes to get rid of the water ends up c
aramelizing. Commercially the water is removed in a huge vacuum
tower, the same method used to make frozen orange juice concentrate.

We use our home grown romas for salads, I like them diced and mixed
with diced Kirbys, some curley leaf parsley, and some olive
oil/vinegar dressing. Kirbys are my favorite cuke, doesnt need
peeling and when picked small the seeds are non-existant. I also put
up a few gallons for pickling (fermenting).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 8:34:52 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski writes:
> >
> > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar.

> I put a large can of whole peeled tomatoes through my Foley food mill
> to remove the seeds, then add a big pinch of Italian herbs, and that's
> it... pizza sauce is not cooked... it gets cooked when baking the
> pizza, otherwise in a hot pizza oven it will caramelize (turn brown)
> and taste nasty. Many people think pasta sauce needs hours of
> cooking, not true... pasta sauce is simmered very low, very briefly,
> with long cooking it too will caramelize, turn brown and taste nothing
> of tomatoes.

Your personal taste duly noted.

Millions of people like the caramelized taste. I often brown
tomato paste to add depth of flavor to soups and sauces.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Blueberry and marshmallow pizza? Sure, why not! It would be a good idea to add the marshmallows when the crust is almost done. One of these days, I'll make a chocolate and marshmallow pizza with a sweet whole wheat crust. That would be cool.

Don't do it! You will lose all face and embarrass your ancestors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-06-20 4:53 a.m., Daniel wrote:
>
> > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar.

> Okay. I'll bite. If you proudly just wing it, why do you want to know
> about tried and true recipes?

Well Davers, I always make a good pizza sauce but I'm always
open to find a better recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> > Ed Pawlowski writes:
> >
> > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar.

> I put a large can of whole peeled tomatoes through my Foley food mill
> to remove the seeds, then add a big pinch of Italian herbs, and that's
> it... pizza sauce is not cooked... it gets cooked when baking the
> pizza, otherwise in a hot pizza oven it will caramelize (turn brown)
> and taste nasty. Many people think pasta sauce needs hours of
> cooking, not true... pasta sauce is simmered very low, very briefly,
> with long cooking it too will caramelize, turn brown and taste nothing
> of tomatoes. I sometimes use crushed tomatoes for pasta sauce but if
> I have time I prefer using whole canned tomatoes with seeds removed
> with a food mill.
>
> I grow lots of romas but don't use them for sauce, too labor intensive
> to remove the skins, the seeds, and then need to remove all that
> excess water, reducing tomatoes to get rid of the water ends up c
> aramelizing. Commercially the water is removed in a huge vacuum
> tower, the same method used to make frozen orange juice concentrate.
>
> We use our home grown romas for salads, I like them diced and mixed
> with diced Kirbys, some curley leaf parsley, and some olive
> oil/vinegar dressing. Kirbys are my favorite cuke, doesnt need
> peeling and when picked small the seeds are non-existant. I also put
> up a few gallons for pickling (fermenting).

Wow, you really don't know how to cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:41:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 07:30:48 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> In article >, says...

>>> Forget the stone, its just a fancy folderol.
>>>
>>> Cook your pizza on a thin metal tray (such as a cookie tray; or a
>>> roasting tin turned upside down).
>>>
>>> Preheat the oven, arrange pizza on cold tray, place tray on shelf in
>>> oven.

>> I always cook my pizzas on a 16" round tray. No oil on the tray.
>> Cook for 20 minutes at 425F and it always turns out nice.

>Perforated aluminum pizza pan for me. Build the pizza right on the
>tray, heat the tray on the gas stove turning a few times to give it
>a good warming up (2 minutes), then transfer to 500F oven.
>
>-sw

That's a good idea, I never thought to preheat on a top burner, I will
try it next time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 8:34:52 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski writes:
> >
> > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper,
> > sugar.

> I put a large can of whole peeled tomatoes through my Foley food mill
> to remove the seeds, then add a big pinch of Italian herbs, and that's
> it... pizza sauce is not cooked... it gets cooked when baking the
> pizza, otherwise in a hot pizza oven it will caramelize (turn brown)
> and taste nasty. Many people think pasta sauce needs hours of
> cooking, not true... pasta sauce is simmered very low, very briefly,
> with long cooking it too will caramelize, turn brown and taste nothing
> of tomatoes.

Your personal taste duly noted.

Millions of people like the caramelized taste. I often brown
tomato paste to add depth of flavor to soups and sauces.

Cindy Hamilton

===

I have never thought of doing that! Thank you. Do you just kind of fry
it in pan with no oil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-06-20 4:53 a.m., Daniel wrote:
>
> > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper,
> > sugar.

> Okay. I'll bite. If you proudly just wing it, why do you want to know
> about tried and true recipes?

Well Davers, I always make a good pizza sauce but I'm always
open to find a better recipe.

===

Heck yes!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 8:51:31 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-06-20 4:53 a.m., Daniel wrote:
> >
> > > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
> > > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper,
> > > sugar.

> > Okay. I'll bite. If you proudly just wing it, why do you want to know
> > about tried and true recipes?

> Well Davers, I always make a good pizza sauce but I'm always
> open to find a better recipe.
>
> ===
>
> Heck yes!!

The BEST recipes are the ones you don't follow, but just use as a guide.

Never repeatable, but always delicious!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 Sqwertz wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>>Most pizzarias with real pizza ovens use perforated pizza pans for baking

>If they use pans, they're not perforated.
>
>>and that's what I've been using for some 40 years.

>Of course. We've seen the hundreds of pictures of pizza you've
>posted in the last 25 years.
>
>IOW: It doesn't happen.
>
>-sw

Most pizzarias use pizza screens rather than the perforated pan but
both are the same idea, the screens just have much smaller openings. I
haven't taken pizza pictures because I don't make from scratch pizza
often, perhaps three times in my life, I really don't see the point of
playing with pizza dough. I bake a frozen doctored pizza on the
perforated pan... I doubt anyone would be interested in seeing it,
typically I add Italian herbs, more cheeze, and sometimes anchovies. I
haven't posted food pictures for a long time now because no one
comments good, bad, or indifferent. I don't think many read my posts
other than you... I must be in everyone's killfile but I don't care,
their loss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:47:14 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:35:17 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> the Fire
>> Underwriters won't permit new pizza parlors to install such nor to
>> replace such.

>Bullshit.
>
>-sw

Maybe where you live but in NY and many other places they don't permit
wood or coal stoves/ovens. Most house fires here are from burning
wood in fireplaces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:56:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:31:24 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:
>
>> Bought a perf pan. Thanks.
>> I think my yeast is dead.. big bag, 1lb of saf.

>You can easily tell if your yeast is dead if your dough doesn't rise
>in 2 hours. It's a dead yeast giveaway. Didn't you stop there?
>
>-sw

It's easy to test yeast in under 15 minutes without wasting flour,
simply sprinkle a little yeast in a cup of warm water that contains a
pinch of sugar... stir and if it doesn't foam up within a few minutes
that yeast is dead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:41:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> I always cook my pizzas on a 16" round tray. No oil on the tray.
> >> Cook for 20 minutes at 425F and it always turns out nice.

> >Perforated aluminum pizza pan for me. Build the pizza right on the
> >tray, heat the tray on the gas stove turning a few times to give it
> >a good warming up (2 minutes), then transfer to 500F oven.
> >
> >-sw

> That's a good idea, I never thought to preheat on a top burner, I will
> try it next time.

You've never made a homemade pizza. No picture ever so not true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Gary has to be doing something wrong, I've been using my perforated
> pan for many years and it works perfectly every time. The perforated
> pan makes it easy to place the pie into the oven and to remove from
> the oven, needs no corn meal or peel. And I slice the pizza right on
> the perforated pan. Gary doesn't say what is bad about it.

Nothing bad to say about a perforated pan. Just a worthless
new thing to buy. Any pizza I make, Homemade or store bought
cooks just fine and the same on my solid 16" pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 00:11:31 -0700, Leo >
wrote:

>On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
>(in >):
>
>> I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
>> sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
>> spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you want it
>> to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's just
>> a regular one.

>I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
>sauce:
>
>8 oz can plain tomato sauce
>1/2 tsp dried basil
>1/2 tsp dried oregano
>1 garlic clove crushed (just because)
>
>Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
>enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes the
>pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
>it.
>
>leo

I'd add the unused portion of sauce to soup... can even use it in
salad dressing. I don't like throwing perfectly good food away.
Except for the garlic there are plenty of critters here that would lap
it up from a saucer or even from the ground. Even your dog would lap
up tomato sauce... mix it with dog food and it'll be gone within
seconds.

To the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba in reference to ongoing investigations SAVE MY MOM - John Kinal pleads for justice.. please help tell t General Cooking 2 28-02-2016 08:59 PM
As part of its ongoing efforts to help elevate the coffee industry in Chinas Yunnan Province, Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ: SBUX) announced that it has signed an agreement to form a joint-venture company with Ai Ni Group, one of the province `.@...' Coffee 0 11-02-2012 07:53 PM
BIG Trouble Brooklyn1 General Cooking 1 08-05-2011 01:24 PM
The Ongoing Saga of Rex Goliath Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 20-08-2007 08:01 PM
Too much trouble Brian Christiansen General Cooking 22 06-06-2006 09:42 PM