Posted to alt.food.wine

Default The Ongoing Saga of Rex Goliath

Many of you may remember the laurels heaped upon Rex Goliath Pinot Noir
several years ago, and the later reports of lessening quality in
subsequent vintages and the label's sale to Constellation. Tonight,
while shopping for groceries, I spied the latest Rex Goliath Pinot Noir
on the store's shelves and saw that it was labeled as Vin de Pays D'Oc.
A Pinot Noir from the Midi! Let's just say that I'm not going to run
out and purchase a case based on that observation... ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:23:32 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Many of you may remember the laurels heaped upon Rex Goliath Pinot Noir
>several years ago, and the later reports of lessening quality in
>subsequent vintages and the label's sale to Constellation. Tonight,
>while shopping for groceries, I spied the latest Rex Goliath Pinot Noir
>on the store's shelves and saw that it was labeled as Vin de Pays D'Oc.
> A Pinot Noir from the Midi! Let's just say that I'm not going to run
>out and purchase a case based on that observation... ;-)
>
>Mark Lipton

I noted that label change about six months ago when one of the local
grocery stores had a clearance of slow-movers from their wine shelves.
The Rex PN had been marked down from $9.95 to $5.99 so I bought four
bottles.

I was pleasantly surprised. The wine was dark burgundy, almost a bit
brownish in color with a warm nose of black raspberry and dark
cherries. Taste was full with that "vanilla" undertone of oak aging.

I thought they had done a pretty good job of returning to the quality
that they had demo'd six or seven years ago.

You might try one bottle based on the observation rather than a case.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 20, 12:23?am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Many of you may remember the laurels heaped upon Rex Goliath Pinot Noir
> several years ago, and the later reports of lessening quality in
> subsequent vintages and the label's sale to Constellation. Tonight,
> while shopping for groceries, I spied the latest Rex Goliath Pinot Noir
> on the store's shelves and saw that it was labeled as Vin de Pays D'Oc.
> A Pinot Noir from the Midi! Let's just say that I'm not going to run
> out and purchase a case based on that observation... ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Hmm, what vintage? WS shows some 2005, but they have Central Coast
listed. Did they switch, or do they now have more than one cuvee?

To the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba in reference to ongoing investigations SAVE MY MOM - John Kinal pleads for justice.. please help tell t General Cooking 2 28-02-2016 08:59 PM
Rex Goliath PN - Hey Ed Dick R. Wine 5 21-03-2008 09:12 PM
Rex Goliath revisited Dick R. Wine 3 29-09-2006 07:47 PM
TN: Another paean to HRM Rex Goliath PN Mark Lipton Wine 17 01-07-2004 10:56 PM
Rex Goliath - Merlot - Ed? Dick R. Wine 2 18-11-2003 12:41 AM