Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My ongoing pizza trouble

Sat, June 20, 2020 at 4:58AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> > > Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
> > > Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to
> > > nicley brown before burning top.
> > > I tried up top in oven and down low.
> > > I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
> > > The pies are really good but could be better.
> > > What do I need to do to get the crust better?

> > This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in pans.
> > Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating the pans
> > generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for effect) so that the
> > bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal "high" home oven
> > temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a crunchy bottom, not a
> > real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and it happens before the top
> > gets burnt.
> >
> > (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in the
> > fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
> >
> > (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I live in
> > a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a "center chimney
> > colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five fireplaces and one
> > ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for pizza (or any wood-fired
> > bread) except for the fact that the last owner who "renovated" the place
> > covered over the oven with a wood (wood! you know, like the stuff that
> > burns!) facing. In years of looking at it, I haven't figured our how to
> > return it to usability without destroying an entire wall in the kitchen.)
> >
> > --
> > Silvar Beitel

> I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option. I'll make it about 50%
> of the time. I like to make it for the kids - they seem to like it better.
> As it goes, it's easier to eat because it's easy to bite into. OTOH, here's
> a picture of a regular crust pizza.
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt
>
> ==
>
> oooh that look lovely. I tend to spread tom paste on the top ...

I heard a lady say something like that. Apply tomato paste separately, then spread on Marinara sauce. That makes the sauce as a whole seem more wholesome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:07:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:41:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >Perforated aluminum pizza pan for me. Build the pizza right on the
>> >tray, heat the tray on the gas stove turning a few times to give it
>> >a good warming up (2 minutes), then transfer to 500F oven.
>> >
>> >-sw

>> That's a good idea, I never thought to preheat on a top burner, I will
>> try it next time.

>You've never made a homemade pizza. No picture ever so not true.

Last time I made home made pizza was pre-usenet... and pre-digital
cameras. I gave up making scratch pizza in the Navy... Sicilian style
on huge sheet pans... was a PIA so was made rarely. We had no mozz so
I used Swiss and Parm... no one complained.

Like everyone else I used to take pictures with a film camera, but was
expensive to buy the film, flash bulbs, and developing was
prohibitively expensive because I still had to pay for developing the
pictures that didn't turn out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:08:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> Gary has to be doing something wrong, I've been using my perforated
>> pan for many years and it works perfectly every time. The perforated
>> pan makes it easy to place the pie into the oven and to remove from
>> the oven, needs no corn meal or peel. And I slice the pizza right on
>> the perforated pan. Gary doesn't say what is bad about it.

>Nothing bad to say about a perforated pan. Just a worthless
>new thing to buy. Any pizza I make, Homemade or store bought
>cooks just fine and the same on my solid 16" pan.

So truth is you never had one, too CHEAP to spend the $15.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
> > sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
> > spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you want it
> > to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's just
> > a regular one.

> I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
> sauce:
>
> 8 oz can plain tomato sauce
> 1/2 tsp dried basil
> 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> 1 garlic clove crushed (just because)
>
> Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
> enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes the
> pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
> it.
>
> leo

I'm not into sauce either. Sometimes, I'll just put some oil on the dough and top with chopped garlic. I suppose that means I win the prize for laziest pizza.

When my daughter was little I made a pizza with a little too much sauce. She took a bite and the entire flap of blazing hot cheese flopped down on to her chin and stuck there like napalm. She screamed in a panic and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think we both got PTSD from that incident. I guess that's why I'm not into sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > writes:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>> > I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
>> > sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
>> > spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you want it
>> > to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's just
>> > a regular one.

>> I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
>> sauce:
>>
>> 8 oz can plain tomato sauce
>> 1/2 tsp dried basil
>> 1/2 tsp dried oregano
>> 1 garlic clove crushed (just because)
>>
>> Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
>> enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes the
>> pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
>> it.
>>
>> leo

> I'm not into sauce either. Sometimes, I'll just put some oil on the
> dough and top with chopped garlic. I suppose that means I win the
> prize for laziest pizza.

There's definitely a place for pizza without sauce. I've always
preferred my hawaiian pizzas that way. It always felt like it tasted
better dry with the pineapple and processed ham. And if I"m using garlic
on the topping, I prefer a white sauce over the red. It tastes too much
like pasta sauce otherwise. I guess I'm picky.

> When my daughter was little I made a pizza with a little too much
> sauce. She took a bite and the entire flap of blazing hot cheese
> flopped down on to her chin and stuck there like napalm. She screamed
> in a panic and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think we both
> got PTSD from that incident. I guess that's why I'm not into sauce.

My cat was on my lap while reading this. It gave me a hearty enough
chuckle that my cat launched off my lap and now I have several lightly
bloody pokes on my legs.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin > writes:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:42:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 10:00:58 -0700 (PDT),
>>wrote:

>>> I've got one, too. If we lived near Sheldon we could gift him those
>>> useless pans.

>>They work great for me. You must not be doing it right.
>>
>>-sw

> Gary has to be doing something wrong, I've been using my perforated
> pan for many years and it works perfectly every time. The perforated
> pan makes it easy to place the pie into the oven and to remove from
> the oven, needs no corn meal or peel. And I slice the pizza right on
> the perforated pan. Gary doesn't say what is bad about it.

My first job out of high school was at an independent pizza shop and we
used perforated sheets. And large spatulas to remove them from the
pizza oven to the cutting table.

I look back at that job as one of my favorites. I'd show up around 9am
and we'd make dough, cut them to size, ball them, celo to rise.

Vegetables would be delivered and I'd spend hours chopping. My least
favorite chore was going from apartment complex to complex hanging
coupon sheets on door knobs.

As a naive 18-year old it was lost on me that it was a money laundering
operation at the same time. Those clues were pieced together years
later. Sort of fascinating now that I think about it.

--
Daniel
Visit me at:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > writes:

> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> Gary has to be doing something wrong, I've been using my perforated
>> pan for many years and it works perfectly every time. The perforated
>> pan makes it easy to place the pie into the oven and to remove from
>> the oven, needs no corn meal or peel. And I slice the pizza right on
>> the perforated pan. Gary doesn't say what is bad about it.

> Nothing bad to say about a perforated pan. Just a worthless
> new thing to buy. Any pizza I make, Homemade or store bought
> cooks just fine and the same on my solid 16" pan.

I have a pizza stone that was given to me. I always felt my normal
aluminum/nonstick pan works better.

The pizza stone works well for frozen pizza. Because I can preheat that
stone while the oven goes to temperature and I can plop the frozen thing
on it. Comes out great.

But when it's fresh pizza, I use that cheapy pizza pan.
--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 12:14:41 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:07:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon Martin wrote:

> >> That's a good idea, I never thought to preheat on a top burner, I will
> >> try it next time.

> >You've never made a homemade pizza. No picture ever so not true.

> Last time I made home made pizza was pre-usenet... and pre-digital
> cameras. I gave up making scratch pizza in the Navy... Sicilian style
> on huge sheet pans... was a PIA so was made rarely. We had no mozz so
> I used Swiss and Parm... no one complained.

Ok, so we know that you've never baked a scratch pizza where you
actually cared about how the results came out.

I'll keep using my pizza stone.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin > writes:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:07:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> That's a good idea, I never thought to preheat on a top burner, I will
>>> try it next time.

>>You've never made a homemade pizza. No picture ever so not true.

> Last time I made home made pizza was pre-usenet... and pre-digital
> cameras. I gave up making scratch pizza in the Navy... Sicilian style
> on huge sheet pans... was a PIA so was made rarely. We had no mozz so
> I used Swiss and Parm... no one complained.

What years did you server? Which ships? I was on USS Dubuque and Carl
Vinson. '92 - '00. I did my mess cranking on the Dubuque. Good group of
guys those MS's. Was your A school in Mississippi?

> Like everyone else I used to take pictures with a film camera, but was
> expensive to buy the film, flash bulbs, and developing was
> prohibitively expensive because I still had to pay for developing the
> pictures that didn't turn out.

That was the norm for everyone. I'd buy my film rolls at costco whenever
I was stateside.

--
Daniel

Visit me at:
gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2020 12:49 PM, Daniel wrote:
> dsi1 > writes:
>
>> When my daughter was little I made a pizza with a little too much
>> sauce. She took a bite and the entire flap of blazing hot cheese
>> flopped down on to her chin and stuck there like napalm. She screamed
>> in a panic and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think we both
>> got PTSD from that incident. I guess that's why I'm not into sauce.

> My cat was on my lap while reading this. It gave me a hearty enough
> chuckle that my cat launched off my lap and now I have several lightly
> bloody pokes on my legs.

I've learned to drape an old folded bath towel over my legs when sitting
at the computer so my cat doesn't get to leave bloody pokes on my legs.

I'm with you on the not too much tomato-y sauce on pizza.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:49:58 AM UTC-10, Daniel wrote:
> dsi1 > writes:
>
> > On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> >> On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
> >> (in >):

> >> I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
> >> sauce:
> >>
> >> 8 oz can plain tomato sauce
> >> 1/2 tsp dried basil
> >> 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> >> 1 garlic clove crushed (just because)
> >>
> >> Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
> >> enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes the
> >> pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
> >> it.
> >>
> >> leo

> > I'm not into sauce either. Sometimes, I'll just put some oil on the
> > dough and top with chopped garlic. I suppose that means I win the
> > prize for laziest pizza.

> There's definitely a place for pizza without sauce. I've always
> preferred my hawaiian pizzas that way. It always felt like it tasted
> better dry with the pineapple and processed ham. And if I"m using garlic
> on the topping, I prefer a white sauce over the red. It tastes too much
> like pasta sauce otherwise. I guess I'm picky.
>
> > When my daughter was little I made a pizza with a little too much
> > sauce. She took a bite and the entire flap of blazing hot cheese
> > flopped down on to her chin and stuck there like napalm. She screamed
> > in a panic and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think we both
> > got PTSD from that incident. I guess that's why I'm not into sauce.

> My cat was on my lap while reading this. It gave me a hearty enough
> chuckle that my cat launched off my lap and now I have several lightly
> bloody pokes on my legs.
>
> --
> Daniel
> Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

If I can get a nice mango, I'm going to make a mango pizza, that would be sweet - literally!

I have a couple of cats here that will casually walk over my keyboard as I'm typing. Why do they do this? Probably because they're evil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17:59 21 Jun 2020, Daniel said:

> Sheldon Martin > writes:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:42:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>They work great for me. You must not be doing it right.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> Gary has to be doing something wrong, I've been using my perforated
>> pan for many years and it works perfectly every time. The perforated
>> pan makes it easy to place the pie into the oven and to remove from
>> the oven, needs no corn meal or peel. And I slice the pizza right on
>> the perforated pan. Gary doesn't say what is bad about it.

> My first job out of high school was at an independent pizza shop and we
> used perforated sheets. And large spatulas to remove them from the pizza
> oven to the cutting table.
>
> I look back at that job as one of my favorites. I'd show up around 9am
> and we'd make dough, cut them to size, ball them, celo to rise.
>
> Vegetables would be delivered and I'd spend hours chopping. My least
> favorite chore was going from apartment complex to complex hanging
> coupon sheets on door knobs.
>
> As a naive 18-year old it was lost on me that it was a money laundering
> operation at the same time. Those clues were pieced together years
> later. Sort of fascinating now that I think about it.

Interesting points!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15:55 21 Jun 2020, Sheldon Martin said:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 Sqwertz wrote:
>>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>>Most pizzarias with real pizza ovens use perforated pizza pans for
>>>baking

>>If they use pans, they're not perforated.
>>
>>>and that's what I've been using for some 40 years.

>>Of course. We've seen the hundreds of pictures of pizza you've posted
>>in the last 25 years.
>>
>>IOW: It doesn't happen.
>>
>>-sw

> Most pizzarias use pizza screens rather than the perforated pan but both
> are the same idea, the screens just have much smaller openings. I
> haven't taken pizza pictures because I don't make from scratch pizza
> often, perhaps three times in my life, I really don't see the point of
> playing with pizza dough. I bake a frozen doctored pizza on the
> perforated pan... I doubt anyone would be interested in seeing it,
> typically I add Italian herbs, more cheeze, and sometimes anchovies. I
> haven't posted food pictures for a long time now because no one comments
> good, bad, or indifferent. I don't think many read my posts other than
> you... I must be in everyone's killfile but I don't care, their loss.

Frozen dough never seems as good as handmade even if it's a lot easier.

Reading between the lines, and from your other posts, your choice of
toppings seem classic, which is good in my book.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13:58 21 Jun 2020, Cindy Hamilton said:

> On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 8:34:52 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> > Ed Pawlowski writes:
>> >
>> > Speaking of sauces. Does anyone have a tried and true red pizza sauce
>> > recipe? I just wing it with canned tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper,
>> > sugar.

>> I put a large can of whole peeled tomatoes through my Foley food mill
>> to remove the seeds, then add a big pinch of Italian herbs, and that's
>> it... pizza sauce is not cooked... it gets cooked when baking the
>> pizza, otherwise in a hot pizza oven it will caramelize (turn brown)
>> and taste nasty. Many people think pasta sauce needs hours of
>> cooking, not true... pasta sauce is simmered very low, very briefly,
>> with long cooking it too will caramelize, turn brown and taste nothing
>> of tomatoes.

> Your personal taste duly noted.
>
> Millions of people like the caramelized taste. I often brown
> tomato paste to add depth of flavor to soups and sauces.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
simmering. Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce but to me
it just tastes raw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-4, Pamela wrote:

> >> I put a large can of whole peeled tomatoes through my Foley food mill
> >> to remove the seeds, then add a big pinch of Italian herbs, and that's
> >> it... pizza sauce is not cooked... it gets cooked when baking the
> >> pizza, otherwise in a hot pizza oven it will caramelize (turn brown)
> >> and taste nasty. Many people think pasta sauce needs hours of
> >> cooking, not true... pasta sauce is simmered very low, very briefly,
> >> with long cooking it too will caramelize, turn brown and taste nothing
> >> of tomatoes.

> > Your personal taste duly noted.
> >
> > Millions of people like the caramelized taste. I often brown
> > tomato paste to add depth of flavor to soups and sauces.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
> simmering. Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce but to me
> it just tastes raw.

I like tomato sauce both ways. It doesn't have to be one or the
other for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 12:01:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-4, Pamela wrote:

>> > Your personal taste duly noted.
>> >
>> > Millions of people like the caramelized taste. I often brown
>> > tomato paste to add depth of flavor to soups and sauces.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
>> simmering. Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce but to me
>> it just tastes raw.

>I like tomato sauce both ways. It doesn't have to be one or the
>other for me.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Caramelized tomato sauce is TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 3:47:46 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 12:01:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
> >> simmering. Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce but to me
> >> it just tastes raw.

> >I like tomato sauce both ways. It doesn't have to be one or the
> >other for me.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Caramelized tomato sauce is TIAD.

In your opinion. Luckily, you are not the Supreme Arbiter of
taste for everyone in the world.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2020 3:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-4, Pamela wrote:

>>> Your personal taste duly noted.
>>>
>>> Millions of people like the caramelized taste. I often brown
>>> tomato paste to add depth of flavor to soups and sauces.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
>> simmering. Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce but to me
>> it just tastes raw.

> I like tomato sauce both ways. It doesn't have to be one or the
> other for me.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

If I get the right tomatoes I slice and put them on pizza instead of
sauce. Makes for a nice change once in a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

Sat, June 20, 2020 at 4:58AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> > > Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
> > > Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to
> > > nicley brown before burning top.
> > > I tried up top in oven and down low.
> > > I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
> > > The pies are really good but could be better.
> > > What do I need to do to get the crust better?

> > This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in pans.
> > Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating the pans
> > generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for effect) so that
> > the
> > bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal "high" home oven
> > temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a crunchy bottom, not a
> > real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and it happens before the
> > top
> > gets burnt.
> >
> > (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in
> > the
> > fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
> >
> > (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I live
> > in
> > a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a "center chimney
> > colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five fireplaces and one
> > ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for pizza (or any wood-fired
> > bread) except for the fact that the last owner who "renovated" the place
> > covered over the oven with a wood (wood! you know, like the stuff that
> > burns!) facing. In years of looking at it, I haven't figured our how to
> > return it to usability without destroying an entire wall in the
> > kitchen.)
> >
> > --
> > Silvar Beitel

> I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option. I'll make it about
> 50%
> of the time. I like to make it for the kids - they seem to like it better.
> As it goes, it's easier to eat because it's easy to bite into. OTOH,
> here's
> a picture of a regular crust pizza.
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt
>
> ==
>
> oooh that look lovely. I tend to spread tom paste on the top ...

I heard a lady say something like that. Apply tomato paste separately, then
spread on Marinara sauce. That makes the sauce as a whole seem more
wholesome.

==

I will have a look at that Thank you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
> > sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
> > spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you
> > want it
> > to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's
> > just
> > a regular one.

> I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
> sauce:
>
> 8 oz can plain tomato sauce
> 1/2 tsp dried basil
> 1/2 tsp dried oregano
> 1 garlic clove crushed (just because)
>
> Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
> enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes
> the
> pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
> it.
>
> leo

I'm not into sauce either. Sometimes, I'll just put some oil on the dough
and top with chopped garlic. I suppose that means I win the prize for
laziest pizza.

When my daughter was little I made a pizza with a little too much sauce. She
took a bite and the entire flap of blazing hot cheese flopped down on to her
chin and stuck there like napalm. She screamed in a panic and I couldn't
believe what I was seeing. I think we both got PTSD from that incident. I
guess that's why I'm not into sauce.

===

.... and why she loves to cook )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 4:22:57 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/21/2020 3:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
> >> simmering. Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce but to me
> >> it just tastes raw.

> > I like tomato sauce both ways. It doesn't have to be one or the
> > other for me.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> If I get the right tomatoes I slice and put them on pizza instead of
> sauce. Makes for a nice change once in a while.

That's my standard. Good, ripe romas in the summer or grape
tomatoes the rest of the year. I salt them ahead of time to
extract some of the water.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Daniel" wrote in message ...

dsi1 > writes:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> On 2020 Jun 20, , dsi1 wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>> > I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then
>> > sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of
>> > spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you
>> > want it
>> > to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's
>> > just
>> > a regular one.

>> I never fried a pizza but for a fifteen inch regular pizza, I do this for
>> sauce:
>>
>> 8 oz can plain tomato sauce
>> 1/2 tsp dried basil
>> 1/2 tsp dried oregano
>> 1 garlic clove crushed (just because)
>>
>> Mix the above together and paint the pizza. Then, do what you want to
>> enhance the pizza. Discard any unused sauce. Some think the sauce makes
>> the
>> pizza. I dont. Less is better for me, maybe because of the way I make
>> it.
>>
>> leo

> I'm not into sauce either. Sometimes, I'll just put some oil on the
> dough and top with chopped garlic. I suppose that means I win the
> prize for laziest pizza.

There's definitely a place for pizza without sauce. I've always
preferred my hawaiian pizzas that way. It always felt like it tasted
better dry with the pineapple and processed ham. And if I"m using garlic
on the topping, I prefer a white sauce over the red. It tastes too much
like pasta sauce otherwise. I guess I'm picky.

> When my daughter was little I made a pizza with a little too much
> sauce. She took a bite and the entire flap of blazing hot cheese
> flopped down on to her chin and stuck there like napalm. She screamed
> in a panic and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think we both
> got PTSD from that incident. I guess that's why I'm not into sauce.

My cat was on my lap while reading this. It gave me a hearty enough
chuckle that my cat launched off my lap and now I have several lightly
bloody pokes on my legs.

Daniel

===

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-06-21 2:22 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/21/2020 3:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I've never had a pizza or pasta tomato sauce that tastes worse for long
>>> simmering.Â* Some people prefer a fresh tomato taste in their sauce
>>> but to me
>>> it just tastes raw.

>> I like tomato sauce both ways.Â* It doesn't have to be one or the
>> other for me.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> If I get the right tomatoes I slice and put them on pizza instead of
> sauce.Â* Makes for a nice change once in a while.

When I lived in Aussie, I used to make my pizzas with fresh tomatoes and
a visitor from from Europe said that mine were just like the ones he'd
eaten in Italy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 3:18:38 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 3:47:46 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Caramelized tomato sauce is TIAD.

> In your opinion. Luckily, you are not the Supreme Arbiter of
> taste for everyone in the world.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't think it would taste bad either. I watch Lidia Bastianich on
PBS and when she uses tomato paste she will make a 'hot spot' in the
pan by moving some of the vegetables to the side. Then she'll put
however much tomato paste she is adding in that bare spot and cook it
slightly to get rid of the 'canned' taste and deepen the tomato taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you can put self made pizza on an oven rack, just getting there is delirious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:07:36 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

> If you can put self made pizza on an oven rack, just getting there is delirious.

Who are you replying to??? It looks like you're just making random comments
to whomever might here reading when you don't quote the person you are answering.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:13:26 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> You shouldn't have mentioned Lidia. Popeye will go on and on bout
> her "bosoms"

He might not be aware of who she is. But she is close to his age.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:55:10 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> .. I must be in everyone's killfile

Not everyone. I usually refrain from a follow-up because I cannot tell if
it is really you or a forgery. The headers always seem to be in order,
yet the style is completely different. One seems a cogent example of
polite discourse. The other is vulgar often racist & mysogynistic
invictive. I cannot imagine it worth the real money it costs for anyone
to have an 'easynews' account just to forge you on Usenet, but I have
seen this elsewhere.

I don't want to chastise the 'bad' Sheldon at the expense of the 'good'
Sheldon. I suppose that for a lot of people, it is easier to just killfile
the alias you use.

The only thing that does not make sense is why you ('good' Sheldon) do
not complain to easynews about the forgeries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 04:16:56 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:55:10 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> .. I must be in everyone's killfile

>Not everyone. I usually refrain from a follow-up because I cannot tell if
>it is really you or a forgery. The headers always seem to be in order,
>yet the style is completely different. One seems a cogent example of
>polite discourse. The other is vulgar often racist & mysogynistic
>invictive. I cannot imagine it worth the real money it costs for anyone
>to have an 'easynews' account just to forge you on Usenet, but I have
>seen this elsewhere.
>
>I don't want to chastise the 'bad' Sheldon at the expense of the 'good'
>Sheldon. I suppose that for a lot of people, it is easier to just killfile
>the alias you use.
>
>The only thing that does not make sense is why you ('good' Sheldon) do
>not complain to easynews about the forgeries.

It's the same guy before and after drinking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:07:36 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> >
> > If you can put self made pizza on an oven rack, just getting there is delirious.
> >

> Who are you replying to??? It looks like you're just making random comments
> to whomever might here reading when you don't quote the person you are answering.

Easy enough to see if you have a decent newsreader that shows
the history of the thread. Thomas was replying to you.

Even my ancient newsreader shows that. I have the option to
view brief, normal, or all headers. I keep mine set to "normal"
usually.

Here's a screen shot of what I see. Look at the last line
of my headers "References" followed by numbers that are all
active links. If someone doesn't quote anything, just click
on the later numbers to see the history of posts in the
thread. No confusion ever.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2006221650100104.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21:07 20 Jun 2020, dsi1 said:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 4:58:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message

>> > This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in
>> > pans. Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating
>> > the pans generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for
>> > effect) so that the bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal
>> > "high" home oven temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a
>> > crunchy bottom, not a real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty,
>> > and it happens before the top gets burnt.
>> >
>> > (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting
>> > in the fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
>> >
>> > (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I
>> > live in a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a
>> > "center chimney colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five
>> > fireplaces and one ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for
>> > pizza (or any wood-fired bread) except for the fact that the last
>> > owner who "renovated" the place covered over the oven with a wood
>> > (wood! you know, like the stuff that burns!) facing. In years of
>> > looking at it, I haven't figured our how to return it to usability
>> > without destroying an entire wall in the kitchen.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Silvar Beitel

>> I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option. I'll make it
>> about 50% of the time. I like to make it for the kids - they seem to
>> like it better. As it goes, it's easier to eat because it's easy to
>> bite into. OTOH, here's a picture of a regular crust pizza.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QQOkvMnOHSmmVw.
>> 550tmAA8kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt
>>
>> ==
>>
>> oooh that look lovely. I tend to spread tom paste on the top, put the
>> filling on and cover with cheese. What do you do differently? Is that
>> the fried pizza?

> This is a pie with a fried crust. I use a pan with a raised edges for
> those. This one has pineapple on it. Pineapple is the greatest
> advancement in pizza making in the last 40 years.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...StGEl1Fd1DrrBQ.
> wHB4HPlv4m5rvOETlbZp7p

Much as I love pineapple, and I really do, I believe it never belongs on a
pizza.

In my book it represents all that is wrong with over-elaborate pizzas that
are now all too common.

Your mileage may vary and I would never tell anyone not to eat a pizza in
any way they like ... but my stomach says yeuch!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:40:14 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> " wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:07:36 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > If you can put self made pizza on an oven rack, just getting there is delirious.
> > >

> > Who are you replying to??? It looks like you're just making random comments
> > to whomever might here reading when you don't quote the person you are answering.

> Easy enough to see if you have a decent newsreader that shows
> the history of the thread. Thomas was replying to you.
>
> Even my ancient newsreader shows that. I have the option to
> view brief, normal, or all headers. I keep mine set to "normal"
> usually.
>
> Here's a screen shot of what I see. Look at the last line
> of my headers "References" followed by numbers that are all
> active links. If someone doesn't quote anything, just click
> on the later numbers to see the history of posts in the
> thread. No confusion ever.
>
> https://www.hostpic.org/images/2006221650100104.jpg

No need to go through all that trouble clicking on links. Just set your display to a "tree" view. You can even do it in Google Groups. Of course, this requires one to know how to operate their readers. Lots of folks don't. That's kind of lame.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09:51 20 Jun 2020, Daniel said:

> Silvar Beitel > writes:
>
>> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>>> Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
>>> Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to
>>> nicley brown before burning top. I tried up top in oven and down low.
>>> I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
>>> The pies are really good but could be better.
>>> What do I need to do to get the crust better?

>> This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in
>> pans. Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating
>> the pans generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for
>> effect) so that the bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal
>> "high" home oven temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a
>> crunchy bottom, not a real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and
>> it happens before the top gets burnt.

> I don't think it's sacrilege but it sounds like a great technique for
> making pizza. But this doesn't answer Thomas' question. But, your
> technique sounds nice. I happened to make pizza tonight. Used my bread
> machine to make the dough while I napped.
>
> I believe the browning of the crust entails sugars in the dough. A
> number of years ago I read an op-ed on why New York style pizza is
> considered the best. My takeaway was that they proof their dough, at
> least the ones interviewed, for up to seventy-two hours. The long
> process forms sugars which caramelize during baking and gives the crust
> that telltale browning.
>
> Of you can add sugar to the dough to achieve the same browning. I did
> some research to find that article with no luck. But, now, there are a
> number of sites out there discussing it.
>
> https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough

Proving pizza dough is important but the Associazione Verace Pizza
Napoletana, who are a very fussy bunch with a hard-won reputation for good
pizza, suggest about 6 or 7 hours in total. See their guide:

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/image...02008%20UK.pdf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:08:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> Gary has to be doing something wrong, I've been using my perforated
> >> pan for many years and it works perfectly every time. The perforated
> >> pan makes it easy to place the pie into the oven and to remove from
> >> the oven, needs no corn meal or peel. And I slice the pizza right on
> >> the perforated pan. Gary doesn't say what is bad about it.

> >Nothing bad to say about a perforated pan. Just a worthless
> >new thing to buy. Any pizza I make, Homemade or store bought
> >cooks just fine and the same on my solid 16" pan.

> So truth is you never had one, too CHEAP to spend the $15.

No, I bought one years ago, tried it a few times then haven't
used it since. I saw no difference from my solid pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I'm with you on the not too much tomato-y sauce on pizza.

I like both. With seasoned tomato sauce and also white pizzas.

My next one planned is a common pepperoni pizza. I've got
all the ingredients but still haven't made one. Hopefully
soon. I've never made one of those.

Just need to make the sauce first. Trying a bit different
sauce this time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> If I get the right tomatoes I slice and put them on pizza instead of
> sauce. Makes for a nice change once in a while.

When I add fresh tomatoes to a pizza, I like to semi-dehydrate
them first in the oven. Fresh sliced can make your pizza a
bit watery. The meatier roma tomatoes are better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2020 8:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I'm with you on the not too much tomato-y sauce on pizza.

> I like both. With seasoned tomato sauce and also white pizzas.
>
> My next one planned is a common pepperoni pizza. I've got
> all the ingredients but still haven't made one. Hopefully
> soon. I've never made one of those.

I love pepperoni but it doesn't love me. Same thing with tomato sauce
in recent years. I love spaghetti with a good tomato sauce but it gives
me indigestion. I'd rather not have to take antacids in order to enjoy
my dinner.

> Just need to make the sauce first. Trying a bit different
> sauce this time.

Hope it turns out well!

Jill

To the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba in reference to ongoing investigations SAVE MY MOM - John Kinal pleads for justice.. please help tell t General Cooking 2 28-02-2016 08:59 PM
As part of its ongoing efforts to help elevate the coffee industry in Chinas Yunnan Province, Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ: SBUX) announced that it has signed an agreement to form a joint-venture company with Ai Ni Group, one of the province€ `.@...' Coffee 0 11-02-2012 07:53 PM
BIG Trouble Brooklyn1 General Cooking 1 08-05-2011 01:24 PM
The Ongoing Saga of Rex Goliath Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 20-08-2007 08:01 PM
Too much trouble Brian Christiansen General Cooking 22 06-06-2006 09:42 PM