Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Too much trouble

A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and a
man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me what
I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for ~15
minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under the
show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that the
recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."

I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here could
regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However, two
things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any other
wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that that
simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian Christiansen" > wrote in message
. com...
>A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and
>a man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me
>what I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for
>~15 minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
>butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under the
>show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that the
>recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."
>
> I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
> cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here
> could regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However,
> two things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any
> other wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that
> that simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.
>
> Brian Christiansen

I like your sweet potato and chipotle idea. I have sweet potatoes seldom as
I only like the yellow-dry type that I purchase at an 'global' market. But
I always have chipotle (from a can). It sounds delicious to me.

And you're right -- soo simple. I usually bake my sweet potato, but I have
sliced in relatively thin and steamed; and I have cut uplike potatoes and
boiled. Any of these ways produce mashed potato style.

My f-i-l says (I've said this too many times) that when he watches
foodnetwork (I'm sure only a mini-second), that all he sees them doing is
stirring, stirring, stirring, and that anyone can do that. I don't think he
wants to become involved in such a trivial pursuit, as there is according to
him, no pursuit; all you do is stir, stir, stir. To each his own (in
cooking, as in all other things).
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and
>>a man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me
>>what I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it
>>for ~15 minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce,
>>some butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under
>>the show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that
>>the recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."
>>
>> I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
>> cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here
>> could regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However,
>> two things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any
>> other wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that
>> that simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.
>>
>> Brian Christiansen

> I like your sweet potato and chipotle idea. I have sweet potatoes seldom
> as I only like the yellow-dry type that I purchase at an 'global' market.
> But I always have chipotle (from a can). It sounds delicious to me.
>

> And you're right -- soo simple. I usually bake my sweet potato, but I
> have sliced in relatively thin and steamed; and I have cut uplike potatoes
> and boiled. Any of these ways produce mashed potato style.
>
> My f-i-l says (I've said this too many times) that when he watches
> foodnetwork (I'm sure only a mini-second), that all he sees them doing is
> stirring, stirring, stirring, and that anyone can do that. I don't think
> he wants to become involved in such a trivial pursuit, as there is
> according to him, no pursuit; all you do is stir, stir, stir. To each his
> own (in cooking, as in all other things).
> Dee Dee

What would excite your FIL? Flambé everything, including scrambled eggs?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian Christiansen" > wrote in message
. com...

> 1) I don't have any idea of any other wat to get mashed sweet potatoes

I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"MareCat" > wrote:

> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > 1) I don't have any idea of any other wat to get mashed sweet potatoes

> I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.
>
> Mary

I pre-peel them, then pressure cook.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "MareCat" > wrote:
>
>> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>> >
>> > 1) I don't have any idea of any other wat to get mashed sweet potatoes

>> I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.
>>
>> Mary

> I pre-peel them, then pressure cook.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

I put them on a plate after they're cooked, and use a fork to eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" wrote

> I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.
>
> Mary

I prick the skins, nuke them, then slather them in sour cream - just like
regular potatoes.
Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian Christiansen wrote:
> I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
> cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here could
> regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However, two
> things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any other
> wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that that
> simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.

I don't know how you manages to make such complicated stuff.

Music, Recipes, Photos, and mo

http://www.sequoiagrove.dk

"You don´t frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons
of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur-king, you and
all your silly English kaniggets. Thppppt!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <qUjdg.10253$kR6.5704@trnddc05>,
"limey" > wrote:

> "MareCat" wrote
> >
> > I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.
> >
> > Mary

> I prick the skins, nuke them, then slather them in sour cream - just like
> regular potatoes.
> Dora

Lately, I've tried pre-peeling, then slicing them into "fries" and deep
frying.

Fabulous with just a little salt.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote
> "limey" wrote:

>> "MareCat" wrote
>> > I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.
>> >
>> > Mary

>> I prick the skins, nuke them, then slather them in sour cream - just like
>> regular potatoes.
>> Dora

> Lately, I've tried pre-peeling, then slicing them into "fries" and deep
> frying.
>
> Fabulous with just a little salt.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

I must try that. Sounds like you're enjoying that new fat fryer!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian Christiansen" > wrote in message
. com...
>A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and
>a man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me
>what I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for
>~15 minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
>butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under the
>show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that the
>recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."
>
> I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
> cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here
> could regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However,
> two things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any
> other wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that
> that simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.
>
> Brian Christiansen

I just wanted to comment on all the answers that I got to this. It seems
there are many ways of preparing sweet potatoes for mashing, in fact I
googled for recipes and many involved mashing the potatoes then baking them
kind of like a casserole. There are even other recipes for mashed swwet
potatoes with chiopotle chiles. The specific place where the recipe I use
is at:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._24966,00.html. I
almost always eat it with ham, I also cut the amounts in half.

What I meant by not knowing how to get mashed sweet potatoes otherwise is
that I don't know any other way than making them from scratch, whether they
are steamed, baked, cooked in a pressure cooker, or whatever (those methods
are probably "too much trouble" as well, at least in the eyes of the man who
helped me look.) My point is that I have never seen instant mashed sweet
potato flakes (probably wouldn't be as good any way).

I also am pretty much a drive through junkie, but I still cook from scratch
every now and then.

Brian Christiansen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:03:36 GMT, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:

>A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and a
>man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me what
>I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for ~15
>minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
>butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under the
>show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that the
>recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."
>
>I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
>cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here could
>regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However, two
>things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any other
>wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that that
>simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.
>
>Brian Christiansen

It's a matter of degree.
Some people like to fish,,,, some people like to eat fish.

I've passed up many recipes that looked way too involved.

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian Christiansen wrote:
> A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and a
> man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me what
> I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for ~15
> minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
> butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under the
> show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that the
> recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."
>
> I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
> cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here could
> regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However, two
> things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any other
> wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that that
> simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.

Most times when folks say sweet potatoes they may actually be using
yams, or vice versa... and are readily available canned, very easy to
mash, no trouble at all.

sweet potato
This large edible root belongs to the morning-glory family and is
native to tropical areas of the Americas. There are many varieties of
sweet potato but the two that are widely grown commercially are a pale
sweet potato and the darker-skinned variety Americans erroneously call
"yam" (the true YAM is not related to the sweet potato). The pale sweet
potato has a thin, light yellow skin and a pale yellow flesh. Its
flavor is not sweet and after being cooked, the pale sweet potato is
dry and crumbly, much like a white baking potato. The darker variety
has a thicker, dark orange skin and a vivid orange, sweet flesh that
cooks to a much moister texture. Fresh sweet potatoes are available
sporadically throughout the year, though not as readily during the
summer months. Canned and frozen sweet potatoes are available
year-round and are sometimes labeled as yams. When buying fresh sweet
potatoes choose those that are small- to medium-sized with smooth,
unbruised skins. Sweet potatoes don't store well unless the environment
is just right, which is dry, dark and around 55°F. Under perfect
conditions they can be stored for 3 to 4 weeks. Otherwise, store in a
cool, dark place and use within a week of purchase. Do not refrigerate.
Sweet potatoes - particularly the pale variety - can be substituted
for regular potatoes in most recipes. They can be prepared in a variety
of ways including baking, boiling and sautéing. Sweet-potato chips can
now be found on some restaurant menus. Sweet potatoes are high in
vitamins A and C.

yam
This thick, tropical-vine tuber is popular in South and Central
America, the West Indies and parts of Asia and Africa. Although SWEET
POTATOES and yams are similar in many ways and therefore often confused
with one another, they are from different plant species. In the
southern United States, sweet potatoes are often called yams and to add
to the confusion, canned sweet potatoes are frequently labeled yams.
True yams, however, are not widely marketed and are seldom grown in the
United States. Though they can be similar in size and shape to sweet
potatoes, yams contain more natural sugar and have a higher moisture
content. On the downside, they're not as rich in vitamins A and C as
sweet potatoes. There are over 150 species of yam grown throughout the
world. They can range in size from that of a small potato to behemoths
over 7 1/2 feet long and 120 pounds. Depending on the variety, a yam's
flesh may be various shades of off-white, yellow, purple or pink, and
the skin from off-white to dark brown. The texture of this vegetable
can range from moist and tender to coarse, dry and mealy. Yams can be
found in most Latin American markets, often in chunks, sold by weight.
When buying yams, select unblemished specimens with tight, unwrinkled
skins. Store in a place that's cool, dark and dry for up to 2 weeks. Do
not refrigerate. Yams may be substituted for sweet potatoes in most
recipes.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Brian Christiansen" > wrote:

> What I meant by not knowing how to get mashed sweet potatoes otherwise is
> that I don't know any other way than making them from scratch, whether they
> are steamed, baked, cooked in a pressure cooker, or whatever (those methods
> are probably "too much trouble" as well, at least in the eyes of the man who
> helped me look.) My point is that I have never seen instant mashed sweet
> potato flakes (probably wouldn't be as good any way).

Maybe they mash canned sweet potatoes?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message

> Maybe they mash canned sweet potatoes?

Would those be as good (I just don't know)? Besides, since they don't offer
them at the drive through window at McDonald's, I suspect that he would not
do that either.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:03:36 GMT, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:

>A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and a
>man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me what
>I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for ~15
>minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
>butter, and some salt, the recipe is on the food network site, under the
>show "Good Eats" (probably lots of other places too). He said that the
>recipe sounded good, but that it also sounded like "too much trouble."
>
>I didn't say anything other than "thank you for helping me look," and I
>cannot remember if we even found them. I think just about anyone here could
>regognize that procedure as making mashed sweet potatoes. However, two
>things have occured to me since then, 1) I don't have any idea of any other
>wat to get mashed sweet potatoes, and 2) if that man thought that that
>simple procedure is "too much trouble," he must not cook.
>
>Brian Christiansen

It's possible he was put off by "steam them for 15 min." I nuke
sweet potatoes, essentially steaming it but without the set-up. Of
course, I personally would recognize the equivalence, but perhaps he
didn't.

Also, the adobe sauce. The guy was curious about chipotles but the
recipe calls for yet another unfamiliar ingredient that he probably
doesn't have. I've never had adobo sauce and I'd probably nix any
recipe that called for it unless I was getting into that type of
cooking. I already have numerous jars of things that I've purchased
out of curiousity and didn't continue to use.

Your recipe was probably more information than he needed. Maybe
"They're good on top of sweet potatoes" would have been less
intimidating

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message

> It's possible he was put off by "steam them for 15 min." I nuke
> sweet potatoes, essentially steaming it but without the set-up. Of
> course, I personally would recognize the equivalence, but perhaps he
> didn't.

Possibly, but I don't think he would have done that either.

> Also, the adobe sauce. The guy was curious about chipotles but the
> recipe calls for yet another unfamiliar ingredient that he probably
> doesn't have. I've never had adobo sauce and I'd probably nix any
> recipe that called for it unless I was getting into that type of
> cooking. I already have numerous jars of things that I've purchased
> out of curiousity and didn't continue to use.

Chipotle chiles (smoked jalapeños) are packed in adobo sauce (by the way he
reacted, he likes chipotle chiles and therefore adobo sauce, even if he does
not know it), you don't have to buy anything seperate, you just add a little
bit more than clings to the chiles when you chop them up. A description of
what adobo sauce is is available at:
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossa...941&catitemid=

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Brian Christiansen" > wrote:

> "Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> >
> > Maybe they mash canned sweet potatoes?
> >

> Would those be as good (I just don't know)?

I have no idea.

> Besides, since they don't offer them at the drive through window at
> McDonald's, I suspect that he would not do that either.

Well, if that's the case, then _any_ cooking is going to too much
trouble, I suppose.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian Christiansen wrote:
> A while back, I was at Safeway, and I was looking for chipotle chiles, and a
> man came and helped me look a bit. While we were looking, he asked me what
> I do with them. I told him that I cut up a sweet potato, steam it for ~15
> minutes, then mash it with a chopped chipotle, some adobo sauce, some
> butter, and some salt,

I imagine the man simply expected an answer like: I'll be adding them
to mashed sweet potatoes and didn't have a very good response to an
answer he was so not prepared for.

And, after working at a grocery store in high school I realize it's
pretty difficult to come up with meaningful conversation to have with
an individual while your helping him or her shop.

Lastly, not very many working class families contain a male who cooks
(except maybe on the charcoal grill) and I imagine that he's not from
an upper class family since he works in a grocery store. I'm guessing
he also doesn't spend much time watching food network or googling like
the rest of us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ENDER wrote:

> Lastly, not very many working class families contain a male who cooks
> (except maybe on the charcoal grill) and I imagine that he's not from
> an upper class family since he works in a grocery store.

Don't kid yourself. There are tons of unemployed people with MS
degrees and PhD's who are taking service jobs that pay well in order to
make a living for their families because they are unable to secure work
elsewhere. The large corporation I used to work for has had a hiring
freeze for the last 8 years. Here, grocery jobs are union and start
around $16/hr. which is a decent wage. While he may not be making an
"upper class" salary now, he very well may have in the past. Or, his
spouse/partner may be the primary bread winner.

Furthermore, in my experience, people who make "upper class" salaries
either work too much to cook for themselves and/or have hired cooks or
SAH spouses/partners. I don't know anyone currently who works outside
of the home, qualifies as "upper class" and cooks - although I know
some who like to cook. They simply do not have time.

>I'm guessing
> he also doesn't spend much time watching food network or googling like
> the rest of us.

He may not have time, regardless of "class".

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Don't kid yourself. There are tons of unemployed people with MS
> degrees and PhD's who are taking service jobs that pay well in order to
> make a living for their families because they are unable to secure work
> elsewhere. The large corporation I used to work for has had a hiring
> freeze for the last 8 years. Here, grocery jobs are union and start
> around $16/hr. which is a decent wage. While he may not be making an
> "upper class" salary now, he very well may have in the past. Or, his
> spouse/partner may be the primary bread winner.

Is that a regular grocery store?

I work in a grocery store, and the starting wage is minimum wage
($7.63). I have worked there 17 years, and I make $13 an hour. The max
for non-management is $17 something.

Your minimum wage is slightly less at $7.50. I would think the pay
rates would be similar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I agree...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article <qUjdg.10253$kR6.5704@trnddc05>,
> "limey" > wrote:
>
> > "MareCat" wrote
> > >
> > > I bake sweet potatoes, then mash them.
> > >
> > > Mary

> > I prick the skins, nuke them, then slather them in sour cream - just

like
> > regular potatoes.
> > Dora

> Lately, I've tried pre-peeling, then slicing them into "fries" and deep
> frying.
>
> Fabulous with just a little salt.

Try Slicing them real thin and making Chips then sprinkle with Gorganzola
and Balsamic

BIG Trouble Brooklyn1 General Cooking 1 08-05-2011 01:24 PM
crock-pot trouble Phyllis Stone General Cooking 21 08-04-2008 11:31 PM
Trouble now Dimitri Mexican Cooking 4 05-02-2007 01:16 AM
Splenda trouble. [email protected] General Cooking 69 18-11-2005 10:16 AM
Fruit Fly Trouble Jon Foster Winemaking 16 17-10-2005 11:34 AM