Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Did somebody say Chciken Paprikash?

I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
paprikash. It turned out to be the later.

https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

Using:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...cken-paprikash

I added some red wine because I think it needed "something". If I
just added some mushrooms, the,it would have been
cacciatore-stroganoff-paprikash - Next time!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:13:40 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg
>

> Using:
>
> https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...cken-paprikash
>
> I added some red wine because I think it needed "something". If I
> just added some mushrooms, the,it would have been
> cacciatore-stroganoff-paprikash - Next time!
>
> -sw

do you use hungarian paprika? i don't think i do. i use a no name brand. don't now the country of origin, but it's quite good. i used to use the szegedi brand, but it's very expensive. there is a difference in paprikas though. i once purchased lebanese paprika, and it was horrible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> do you use hungarian paprika? i don't think i do. i use a no name brand. don't now the country of origin, but it's quite good. i used to use the szegedi brand, but it's very expensive. there is a difference in paprikas though. i once purchased lebanese paprika, and it was horrible.

Interesting. Until I came to RFC, I always thought that paprika
basically had no taste at all and only used it a cute topping
occasionally. It *was* always from a grocery store though and
probably very old and had lost it's taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

That looked quite nice, I must say.
That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:42:02 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
> > paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

> That looked quite nice, I must say.
> That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.

it's a good dish. it's also very tasty without the sour cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Jun 2019 Gary wrote:
>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
>> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

>That looked quite nice, I must say.
>That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.

Looks like two servings for a normal person; two chicken legs, one
chicken breast should have been halved, and a heap of wide egg noodles
swimming in gravy, enough for two.

Looks tastey but should have been a larger dish, then it wouldn't look
like so much... as it is that dish is so overfilled that it's about to
spill over... actually can't tell whether it's a plate or a bowl. If
I lived alone like the dwarf I'd eat from the pot and save having to
wash a dish. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 22:15:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
>paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg
>

>Using:
>
>https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...cken-paprikash
>
>I added some red wine because I think it needed "something". If I
>just added some mushrooms, the,it would have been
>cacciatore-stroganoff-paprikash - Next time!
>
>-sw

that looks really good to me. The chicken looks juicy.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 8:13:40 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg
>

> Using:
>
> https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...cken-paprikash
>
> I added some red wine because I think it needed "something". If I
> just added some mushrooms, the,it would have been
> cacciatore-stroganoff-paprikash - Next time!

Looks good. Maybe it's the type of paprika used but mine turns out way more orange. This is the recipe I used in the restaurant when I made it for a lunch special.

https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...cken-paprikash

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2019 8:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
>> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

> That looked quite nice, I must say.
> That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.

Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't know
why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-14, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Maybe it's the type of paprika used but mine turns out way more
> orange. This is the recipe I used in the restaurant when I made it
> for a lunch special.

> https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...cken-paprikash

Looks good!

May be a way to get rid of some paprika, I've had waaaay
too long (still smells OK).

I'll hafta buy a "real" chicken, too. Not one of those CFO places.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:26:20 AM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-06-14, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's the type of paprika used but mine turns out way more
> > orange. This is the recipe I used in the restaurant when I made it
> > for a lunch special.

> > https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...cken-paprikash

> Looks good!
>
> May be a way to get rid of some paprika, I've had waaaay
> too long (still smells OK).
>
> I'll hafta buy a "real" chicken, too. Not one of those CFO places.
>

> nb

paprika gets old and tasteless pretty quick. throw out your old stuff and get some fresh if you are gong to make this dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 15:03:07 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:26:20 AM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
>> On 2019-06-14, ImStillMags > wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe it's the type of paprika used but mine turns out way more
>> > orange. This is the recipe I used in the restaurant when I made it
>> > for a lunch special.

>> > https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...cken-paprikash

>> Looks good!
>>
>> May be a way to get rid of some paprika, I've had waaaay
>> too long (still smells OK).
>>
>> I'll hafta buy a "real" chicken, too. Not one of those CFO places.
>> nb

>paprika gets old and tasteless pretty quick. throw out your old stuff and get some fresh if you are gong to make this dish.

Depends on how stored. I buy in bulk sizes and keep them in my
freezer with small bottles in the pantry filled for daily use. Frozen
spices and herbs will keep well for several years. Also as much as
possible I buy whole spices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 9:33:31 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 15:03:07 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

> >> Looks good!
> >>
> >> May be a way to get rid of some paprika, I've had waaaay
> >> too long (still smells OK).
> >>
> >> I'll hafta buy a "real" chicken, too. Not one of those CFO places.
> >> nb

> >paprika gets old and tasteless pretty quick. throw out your old stuff and get some fresh if you are gong to make this dish.

> Depends on how stored. I buy in bulk sizes and keep them in my
> freezer with small bottles in the pantry filled for daily use. Frozen
> spices and herbs will keep well for several years. Also as much as
> possible I buy whole spices.

i purchase mine in a resealable bag. it only lasts for max. 3 weeks before i need some more. i keep it in the fridge. however the freezer sounds like a good idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/14/2019 8:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
> >> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.
> >>
> >> https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

> > That looked quite nice, I must say.
> > That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.
> >

> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't know
> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> That looked quite nice, I must say.
>>> That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.
>>>

>> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't know
>> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.

We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me up.
It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not the same
as mine.

Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't
> > > know why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

> > Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
> > little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
> >

> We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me
> up. It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not
> the same as mine.
>
> Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?
>
> Jill

You know, the guys at work laugh sometimes at my portions but they stop
when they discuss the weight gain issues and the aches and pains of age
(we are all pretty much 60's).

Slowly they are shifting a little bit. A smaller first plate at the
buffet (all you can eat, $9.29, not fancy but decent for the price).

We all go back for seconds but I start with a smaller plate then get
the most tasty items for my seconds. My 3rd plate is always frest cut
fruit and sometimes a dibble of something from the salad bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me.* I don't
>>> know
>>> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

>> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
>> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
>>

> We definitely eat differently.* I eat only as much as will fill me
> up. It doesn't take much.* What is appropriate for your body is not
> the same as mine.
>
> Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?
>
> Jill

My grandfather used to raise pigs many years ago. If you watch them,
they act much like humans. Some push the others away from the
trough, etc. But you have to watch them long enough to figure out a
particular sow's psyche.

Some animals can never get enough, others eat until they are
satiated. Just like humans, some stop eating when full, others eat
much more.

Then there is age. As we age, our caloric intake that we need drops.
Some continue gobbling up everything in sight. Some continue eating
only what they need.

Jill, I shouldn't have to tell you what this means. My daddy told me
long ago that some "EAT TO LIVE" while some "LIVE TO EAT"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> That looked quite nice, I must say.
>>> That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.
>>>

>> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't know
>> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.

We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me up.
It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not the same
as mine.

Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?

Jill

===

The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats as much
as Gary Might be a man thing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 09:56:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
>On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't know
>>> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

>> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
>> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
>>

>We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me up.
>It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not the same
>as mine.
>
>Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?
>
>Jill
>
>===
>
> The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats as much
>as Gary Might be a man thing?

Maybe men tend to be very active
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
>On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me. I don't know
>>> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

>> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
>> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
>>

>We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me up.
>It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not the same
>as mine.
>
>Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?
>
>Jill
>
>===
>
> The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats as much
>as Gary Might be a man thing?

Maybe men tend to be very active

===

Not only men though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 11:01:30 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 09:56:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
>>> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
>>>

>>We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me up.
>>It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not the same
>>as mine.
>>
>>Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?
>>
>>Jill
>>
>>===
>>
>> The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats as much
>>as Gary Might be a man thing?

>Maybe men tend to be very active
>
>===
>
> Not only men though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> We definitely eat differently. I eat only as much as will fill me up.
> It doesn't take much. What is appropriate for your body is not the same
> as mine.

Exactly. That's why my comments are (again) just teasing.
I also only eat enough to fill me up but our bodies are
different.

If I ate like you, I would lose weight steadily and eventually
die. No comparison of caloric needs between two different
people.

> Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?

I don't. YOU are just fun to pick on occasionally since you like
to pick on others occasionally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats as much
> as Gary Might be a man thing?

In general, men are larger, have more muscle mass and often more
active. There are exceptions, naturally. Our daily calorie
requirements, just to maintain energy and weight, are often
higher.

Serious marathon runners can need 5000 calories a day or more
just to stay the same weight.

It all depends on your lifestyle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats as
> much
> as Gary Might be a man thing?

In general, men are larger, have more muscle mass and often more
active. There are exceptions, naturally. Our daily calorie
requirements, just to maintain energy and weight, are often
higher.

Yes, I did realise that I was just joking

Serious marathon runners can need 5000 calories a day or more
just to stay the same weight.

It all depends on your lifestyle.

Yes, it really does!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > The same here. I can eat only very small portions too. D eats
> > as much as Gary Might be a man thing?

> In general, men are larger, have more muscle mass and often more
> active. There are exceptions, naturally. Our daily calorie
> requirements, just to maintain energy and weight, are often
> higher.
>
> Serious marathon runners can need 5000 calories a day or more
> just to stay the same weight.
>
> It all depends on your lifestyle.

True.

Generally men burn more calories off than women due to natural muscle
amounts being higher.

In the end though it's all the same. A person who is overweight, is
eating more than they burn off. Pretty simple stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2019 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 6/15/2019 12:38 PM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Yes it looks good and yes, it would be 3-4 meals for me.Â* I don't know
>>> why you chide me for not having a huge appetite.

>> Just teasing. If anything, I should be jealous that you eat so
>> little and remain happy. A small meal is just an appetizer to me.
>>

> We definitely eat differently.Â* I eat only as much as will fill me up.
> It doesn't take much.Â* What is appropriate for your body is not the same
> as mine.
>
> Why do you find different portion preferences so hard to believe?
>
> Jill
>
> ===
>
> Â*Â* The same here.Â* I can eat only very small portions too.Â* D eats as
> much as GaryÂ*Â* Might be a man thing?

I don't know about you but I'm sure they're each larger than I am!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:43:29 -0400, wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2019 Gary wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> I was toying around with the idea of cacciatore, stroganoff, or
>>> paprikash. It turned out to be the later.

https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

>>That looked quite nice, I must say.
>>That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.

> Looks like two servings for a normal person; two chicken legs, one
> chicken breast should have been halved, and a heap of wide egg noodles
> swimming in gravy, enough for two.

It's two small legs and a thigh with backbone, dumbass. They were
chicken quarters and that's about $1's worth there ($.75/lb). And
those are medium egg noodles.

You say you eat a whole chicken and you call that two meals?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 2:23:18 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:43:29 -0400, wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/59vGGmcZ/Chicken-Paprikash.jpg

> >>That looked quite nice, I must say.
> >>That dish would make about 3-4 meals for Jill.

> > Looks like two servings for a normal person; two chicken legs, one
> > chicken breast should have been halved, and a heap of wide egg noodles
> > swimming in gravy, enough for two.

> It's two small legs and a thigh with backbone, dumbass. They were
> chicken quarters and that's about $1's worth there ($.75/lb). And
> those are medium egg noodles.
>
> You say you eat a whole chicken and you call that two meals?
>
> -sw

That's cheap for chicken legs. The cheapest here that I've seen was $0.88 per pound CDN. That price only comes around maybe once per year. Legs usually go for $1.88 if you're lucky. That's a common sales price.