Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Paprikash

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I used to have a killer chicken paprikash recipe but can't find it. I've
> Googled and can't find anything like it. Anyone have a tried and true
> recipe on hand?
>
> Michael

Paprikasch Chicken

1 lg cooking onion, finely diced
1 yellow sweet pepper;
-chopped (optional)
1 tb shortening or cooking oil
1 frying chicken cut up
2 ts paprika, Hungarian sweet
1 pinch of cayenne or red pepper
-(optional)
1/2 ts salt (to taste)
Sourcream optional

Heat oil or shortening, add onion and pepper and saute on medium heat
until the onions are transparent. Make sure the heat is high enough
that the onions are gently frying and not steaming in their own juice.

Remove the pot from the stove, add paprika, mix well. Add the chicken
and salt. Coat the chicken thoroughly with the onion-paprika mixture.
Add 1/4 c of water or broth and check frequently to make sure it's not
burning. Simmer covered until the chicken is tender.
Add sourcream just before serving or let each person add it at the
table if they wish. (Don't let the sourcream come to a boil or it will
curdle). Serve with Tiny Hungarian Dumplings.

You can use cut up parts instead of whole chicken, but using white
meat only produces a rather insipid dish. I often make it from thighs
only.

Title: Tiny Hungarian Dumplings ---Nokkedli

2 lg eggs
1 c water
1 1/2 c flour, all purpose, unsifted
1/2 ts salt

Prepare large pot of rapidly boiling water, making sure that the water
is no more than 2 inches from the lip of the pot.

Place flour in large mixing bowl, make a well add the other
ingredients and stir using a wooden spoon until mixed. (Do not "work
the dough").

The easiest way is to use a spaetzle maker. Looks like a grater with
dime size holes and a hopper on top, available in many kitchen shops.
Place this device on top of the pot with the boiling water. Fill the
hopper with dough and slide it back and forth as fast as you can. The
faster you do it the smaller, the dumplings. The dough should be thick
enough to offer resistance, but "grate" easily. When all the dumplings
are floating (about 2minutes), pour into a colander, drain and serve.

Alternatives to using a spaetzle maker:
1.Place dough on a small cutting board and using a knife to cut bean
size pieces of dough into the boiling water.

2. Use a collander with large holes, a chestnut roaster with holes or
a coarse grater and mush dough through with a wooden spoon.

Contributor: Eva's Hungarian Kitchenïž©
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:15:52 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>> I used to have a killer chicken paprikash recipe but can't find it. I've
>> Googled and can't find anything like it. Anyone have a tried and true
>> recipe on hand?
>>
>> Michael

>Paprikasch Chicken
>

>1 lg cooking onion, finely diced
>1 yellow sweet pepper;
> -chopped (optional)
>1 tb shortening or cooking oil
>1 frying chicken cut up
>2 ts paprika, Hungarian sweet
>1 pinch of cayenne or red pepper
> -(optional)
>1/2 ts salt (to taste)
>Sourcream optional
>
>Heat oil or shortening, add onion and pepper and saute on medium heat
>until the onions are transparent. Make sure the heat is high enough
>that the onions are gently frying and not steaming in their own juice.
>
>Remove the pot from the stove, add paprika, mix well. Add the chicken
>and salt. Coat the chicken thoroughly with the onion-paprika mixture.
>Add 1/4 c of water or broth and check frequently to make sure it's not
>burning. Simmer covered until the chicken is tender.
>Add sourcream just before serving or let each person add it at the
>table if they wish. (Don't let the sourcream come to a boil or it will
>curdle). Serve with Tiny Hungarian Dumplings.
>
>You can use cut up parts instead of whole chicken, but using white
>meat only produces a rather insipid dish. I often make it from thighs
>only.
>

>Title: Tiny Hungarian Dumplings ---Nokkedli
>
> 2 lg eggs
> 1 c water
> 1 1/2 c flour, all purpose, unsifted
> 1/2 ts salt
>
>Prepare large pot of rapidly boiling water, making sure that the water
>is no more than 2 inches from the lip of the pot.
>
>Place flour in large mixing bowl, make a well add the other
>ingredients and stir using a wooden spoon until mixed. (Do not "work
>the dough").
>
>The easiest way is to use a spaetzle maker. Looks like a grater with
>dime size holes and a hopper on top, available in many kitchen shops.
>Place this device on top of the pot with the boiling water. Fill the
>hopper with dough and slide it back and forth as fast as you can. The
>faster you do it the smaller, the dumplings. The dough should be thick
>enough to offer resistance, but "grate" easily. When all the dumplings
>are floating (about 2minutes), pour into a colander, drain and serve.
>

>Alternatives to using a spaetzle maker:
>1.Place dough on a small cutting board and using a knife to cut bean
>size pieces of dough into the boiling water.
>
>2. Use a collander with large holes, a chestnut roaster with holes or
>a coarse grater and mush dough through with a wooden spoon.
>
>Contributor: Eva's Hungarian Kitchen?

My grandparents were born in Hungary and this is so very similar to
the chicken dish my mother made and I assume was passed on to her by
my grandmother. No sour cream of course, as there was kashrut to
consider in my grandmother's home.

The dumplings were something my mother didn't make, but always talked
about longingly, though the term she used sounded like "nockerel," so
similar to nokkedli.

Thanks for the memories, Margaret.