Posted to rec.food.cooking
A Moose In Love A Moose In Love is offline

Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:32:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
> > > there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
> > > the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are
> > > known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
> > > because
> > > i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel
> > > was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which
> > > came
> > > in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment..
> > > fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
> > > the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan
> > > fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
> > think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
> > the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
> > isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
> > in
> > Germany they use veal.

> I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare. OTOH,
> Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
> cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.

the term wiener schnitzel means a cutlet done Viennese style. basically it's a breaded veal cutlet pounded thin and breaded and fried. you can of course use other meats such as chick/pork, although to call it wiener schnitzel in austria is not allowed(if not made from veal). it can be called schnitzel wiener art.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0
>
> ==
>
> Understood. It is probably a European thing
>
> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

ditto