Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:32:34 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
> > > there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
> > > the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are
> > > known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
> > > because
> > > i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel
> > > was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which
> > > came
> > > in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment..
> > > fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
> > > the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan
> > > fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
> > think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
> > the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
> > isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
> > in
> > Germany they use veal.

> I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare. OTOH,
> Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
> cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0
>
> ==
>
> Understood. It is probably a European thing
>
> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii. It is made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged in flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.

My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the early 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember to this day.

The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the end, it's all schnitzels.

https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu