Old 11-07-2018, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I guess I'll try Whole Foods between 7/14-17

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/new...als/index.html
I'll see what they've got

Old 11-07-2018, 06:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 04:27:44 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 10 Jul 2018 08:22:51p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/new...-foods-amazon-
prime-deals/index.html I'll see what they've got

I really like shopping at whole foods. Among many other things, it's
the one place that I can buy fresh perfect Kirby cucumbers and fresh
perfect okra pods year 'roun. :-)

I won't be doing any "prime" shopping there however. I cancelled my
Amazon Prime account the last time they raised their annual fee,
especially when they auto-billed me without notification.

Prime is worth it to me for those irritating little things you want
specifically but will entail running all over town to find who has it.
Just get on Amazon and order those boot shoe strings in the color and
length you want. Can't find those cabinet magnets? Specific
gardening supplies? Amazon has them. I made up the cost of Prime in
shipping alone -- a trade off instead traipsing around town in the car
using my time and gasoline. I am almost embarrassed when I order a
less than $10 item to be shipped.
Janet US
Old 11-07-2018, 11:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Amazon Prime was Whole Foods

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

Prime is worth it to me for those irritating little things you want
specifically but will entail running all over town to find who has it.
Just get on Amazon and order those boot shoe strings in the color and
length you want. Can't find those cabinet magnets? Specific
gardening supplies? Amazon has them. I made up the cost of Prime in
shipping alone -- a trade off instead traipsing around town in the car
using my time and gasoline. I am almost embarrassed when I order a
less than $10 item to be shipped.

I feel exactly the same... Amazon Prime is a bargain considering all
the time, energy and driving expenses saved, and it's not just
gasolene, it's putting on miles and wear and tear, and most
importantly a lot less risk of an accident sitting at my PC.
And there's nothing Amazon doesn't have... sometimes I'm thinking to
buy the most mundane item, as you say like shoe laces for my work
boots, Amazon has them in every color and length, and for a lot less
cost than from the sporting goods stores.... also they sell a better
quality shoelace, I can't wear them out, and for some reason the cats
don't chew the ends off like they do with LLBean laces. Amazon sells
the "Miscly" brand, comes in a three pack, been using the first set
for three years now and they show no wear, nor do they loosen.... and
I wear them every day.
I don't feel guilty ordering a $10 item with free shipping,
considering I buy many more expensive items. And it's not just free
shipping, it's free packaging too, and packaging can be expensive,
order a $30 shovel and it has to cost $10 for packaging materials,
plus someone's labor.
Amazon Prime is a gigantic Bargain, anyone who complains about the
yearly fee has sawdust for brains.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 11:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/new...als/index.html
I'll see what they've got

We were there last week and there's a whole display about the amazon
prime thing. I was wondering How do they know? are you going to give
them your password?

I'm a dinosaur, for sure. Of course you get an app on your phone
and that's how they know you're a member. A one time thing, they
just gave us the discount. Saved 60 cents on a watermelon.

nancy

Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:24:00 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
On 7/10/2018 11:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/new...als/index.html
I'll see what they've got

We were there last week and there's a whole display about the amazon
prime thing. I was wondering How do they know? are you going to give
them your password?

I'm a dinosaur, for sure. Of course you get an app on your phone
and that's how they know you're a member. A one time thing, they
just gave us the discount. Saved 60 cents on a watermelon.

You can associate your phone number with your Prime account and
tell the cashier at Whole Paycheck your phone number. I haven't
tried that yet. Nothing I've bought at WF got me a Prime discount.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 11-07-2018, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 9:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:24:00 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:

I'm a dinosaur, for sure. Of course you get an app on your phone
and that's how they know you're a member. A one time thing, they
just gave us the discount. Saved 60 cents on a watermelon.

You can associate your phone number with your Prime account and
tell the cashier at Whole Paycheck your phone number.

Of course. Not something I'd be doing but then I don't do the bulk
of my shopping there and a discount on sale items isn't worth it.

I haven't
tried that yet. Nothing I've bought at WF got me a Prime discount.

I've never thought What's on sale at Whole Foods? and gone there
for that purpose.

nancy

Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:14:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:24:00 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
On 7/10/2018 11:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/10/new...als/index.html
I'll see what they've got

We were there last week and there's a whole display about the amazon
prime thing. I was wondering How do they know? are you going to give
them your password?

I'm a dinosaur, for sure. Of course you get an app on your phone
and that's how they know you're a member. A one time thing, they
just gave us the discount. Saved 60 cents on a watermelon.

You can associate your phone number with your Prime account and
tell the cashier at Whole Paycheck your phone number. I haven't
tried that yet. Nothing I've bought at WF got me a Prime discount.

Cindy Hamilton

I just figured that I would use my Amazon charge card and that would
get me the discounts. It's been a good card and it seemed foolish not
to apply for it. There was a $50 discount on anything I bought with a
new application and I wanted to get something for about $100. It was
a no brainer for me.
Janet US
Old 11-07-2018, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

I've never thought What's on sale at Whole Foods? and gone there
for that purpose.

I've never gone to Whole Foods very near me. If they want me to
buy, they should advertise. Same with Trader Joes. They used to
mail out a monthly flyer but no longer. Don't hear from them, I
never even think to go there. That said, I've noticed that even
Walmart rarely advertises. Target does with a sampling of
everything from food to household goods, etc At least, I consider
shopping there once a week after seeing the Sunday ads.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:51:14 -0400, Gary wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

I've never thought What's on sale at Whole Foods? and gone there
for that purpose.

I've never gone to Whole Foods very near me. If they want me to
buy, they should advertise. Same with Trader Joes. They used to
mail out a monthly flyer but no longer. Don't hear from them, I
never even think to go there. That said, I've noticed that even
Walmart rarely advertises. Target does with a sampling of
everything from food to household goods, etc At least, I consider
shopping there once a week after seeing the Sunday ads.

I guess Target realizes you need the pretty pictures in color to able
to tell what the store sells.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

I've never thought What's on sale at Whole Foods? and gone there
for that purpose.

I've never gone to Whole Foods very near me. If they want me to
buy, they should advertise. Same with Trader Joes. They used to
mail out a monthly flyer but no longer. Don't hear from them, I
never even think to go there. That said, I've noticed that even
Walmart rarely advertises. Target does with a sampling of
everything from food to household goods, etc At least, I consider
shopping there once a week after seeing the Sunday ads.

I guess Target realizes you need the pretty pictures in color to able
to tell what the store sells.

Oh dear....someone is mad at me now, so it seems.
I like store ads to see what might be on sale.
Most normal people do.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

I've never thought What's on sale at Whole Foods? and gone there
for that purpose.

I've never gone to Whole Foods very near me. If they want me to
buy, they should advertise. Same with Trader Joes. They used to
mail out a monthly flyer but no longer. Don't hear from them, I
never even think to go there. That said, I've noticed that even
Walmart rarely advertises. Target does with a sampling of
everything from food to household goods, etc At least, I consider
shopping there once a week after seeing the Sunday ads.

I guess Target realizes you need the pretty pictures in color to able
to tell what the store sells.

Oh dear....someone is mad at me now, so it seems.
I like store ads to see what might be on sale.
Most normal people do.

Really? What percentage of people do? What kind of ads?

Beyond anecdotal, what evidence do you have?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
On 7/11/2018 4:23 AM, wrote:

Amazon Prime is a gigantic Bargain, anyone who complains about the
yearly fee has sawdust for brains.

So one would think!

I usta have Amazon Prime. I even tested 'em on their claims. Sure
enough. I bought an item fer jes over $2USD. It was there, at my
doorstep, two days later, jes as Amazon promised.

I even pay a guy to give me ride into town, now and then, cuz it saves
wear/tear on my vehicle. OTOH, Amazon Prime does NOT save you $$$$. I
had it for one yr (original rate), but dumped it the following yr. I
figure I saved a couple hundred dollars by NOT joining again.

Lotta places now charge zero shipping. Zappos --Amazon subsidiary--
ships fer free. OTOH, they want yer bought item back in perfect
condition. IOW, do NOT wear those shoes out-of-doors. OTOH, New Balance
give you "free shipping", 30 days return, and WILL allow you to wear those
shoes, "out-of-doors". Sam Ash (music store) only charges shipping fer
orders under "$10".

Sure, Amazon will save $$$$ on driving to a large urban center (for me,
that's a 200 mi round trip), but it also promotes spending lotsa $$$$. So,
if you have lotsa money to blow, by all means, get Amazon Prime.

nb

For me, it so worth it to be able to find the things I need, some odd things
that stores don't ever have in stock, and also their customer service is
second to none as far as I'm concerned. The convenience is a wonderful
thing.

Cheri

Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:43:51 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
On 7/11/2018 4:23 AM, wrote:

[...]

Very convenient, and especially so for odd items.

And there is that great video streaming capability, too.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

I just figured that I would use my Amazon charge card and that would
get me the discounts. It's been a good card and it seemed foolish not
to apply for it. There was a $50 discount on anything I bought with a
new application and I wanted to get something for about $100. It was
a no brainer for me.
Janet US

Same here, and I use the rewards for purchases through Amazon.

Cheri