Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill
Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

Yes, a paper study looking at lists of ingredients is always the last
word in anything.

I remember, decades ago, when Consumer Reports investigated the
nutrition of breakfast cereals by feeding them to rats. The
most nutritious was Lucky Charms.

Apparently this result freaked out the CR poobahs, because the next
time breakfast cereals were evaluated,it was based on an ingredient
analysis only.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/07/2015 4:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill

Ever since that guy wrote "Wheat Belly".
Graham

Old 08-07-2015, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 15:23:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

Yes, a paper study looking at lists of ingredients is always the last
word in anything.

Depends on the study...no reason to discount such an analysis without
some specific reasons for it. What are your objections?

I remember, decades ago, when Consumer Reports investigated the
nutrition of breakfast cereals by feeding them to rats. The
most nutritious was Lucky Charms.

It was Cheerios, Special K And A version of Maypo, actually, but hey,
don't let that stop you....

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...28,54236&hl=en

Apparently this result freaked out the CR poobahs, because the next
time breakfast cereals were evaluated,it was based on an ingredient
analysis only.

While you are at it, why not back up that claim, too? Hmmm?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 5:10 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
While you are at it, why not back up that claim, too? Hmmm?

What fun would that be?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

Who would possibly think that they were?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Maybe where you're at. It's not here.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message
On 07/07/2015 4:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill

Ever since that guy wrote "Wheat Belly".
Graham

He's a nut. I tried to watch that show. Had to change the channel.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 6:53 PM, graham wrote:
On 07/07/2015 4:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill

Ever since that guy wrote "Wheat Belly".
Graham

I personally don't have any food intolerences. But if I did I wouldn't
try to find excuses not to eat something that bothers me. Gluten,
carbs, whatever. If it doesn't agree with me, I don't eat it. It
doesn't have to become a fad. It's just common sense.

Jill
Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...-free-diet-rea
lly-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill

I think that is true. I will grant some folks do seem to have a real
intolerance (not celiac, but issues yet the same) I suspect many who go
'gluten free' are following a trendy diet idea.

Carol

Old 08-07-2015, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 7/7/2015 6:53 PM, graham wrote:
On 07/07/2015 4:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill

Ever since that guy wrote "Wheat Belly".
Graham

I personally don't have any food intolerences. But if I did I wouldn't
try to find excuses not to eat something that bothers me. Gluten, carbs,
whatever. If it doesn't agree with me, I don't eat it. It doesn't have
to become a fad. It's just common sense.

but then you can't [expect] demand people to treat you as "special".

Old 08-07-2015, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/07/2015 5:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/7/2015 6:53 PM, graham wrote:
On 07/07/2015 4:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/7/2015 6:05 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:22:36 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ally-healthier

It is healthier for you if you have an allergy to gluten or even a
sensitivity.

If you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity then why bother?

Because it's trendy. Gluten free seems to be the big thing right now.

Jill

Ever since that guy wrote "Wheat Belly".
Graham

I personally don't have any food intolerences. But if I did I wouldn't
try to find excuses not to eat something that bothers me. Gluten,
carbs, whatever. If it doesn't agree with me, I don't eat it. It
doesn't have to become a fad. It's just common sense.

Jill

Of course people who praise the fad because it seems to work for them,
don't seem to realise that they have been taking much greater care over
their diets and the quantities they eat. It's that care and not the
absence of gluten that has made them feel better.
Graham

Old 08-07-2015, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about that. I do know of some people online who are quite
adamant about gluten free. It worked for them, so it must work for
everyone! They will even tell me that when I did eat gluten free, I must
have been doing it wrong! I have no reason to believe that I need to be on
that diet. Allergy and intolerance testing showed nothing in that regard
and I have had endoscopies and a colonoscopy. They were done while I was
eating gluten so if there was damaged villi, it would have shown up.

I do know that people can have issues with a certain food for no known
reason. Garlic is one such for me. I can eat a small amount but the
garlicky dinner that I made tonight would send me doubled over with stomach
pains if I were to eat it. I made that chicken recipe that someone here
posted and also garlic rice. Will report back if the chicken is liked. It
does look and smell like it will be at least by my husband. Angela is being
super picky tonight and nothing is appealing to her. I am being the same
but will make spaghetti for myself. This heat is just zapping our
appetites.