Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Amazon Prime was Whole Foods

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 15:44:14 -0400, Boron Elgar

wrote:

>>>The Tardis is way more than a time machine.

>>True but back when maybe not so much. I enjoyed watching it with the
>>kids, it enthralled them, silence was a rare commodity in those days,
>>early 60s it must have been

>1963 and a fateful evening for first broadcast, too - November 23rd. A
>lot of folks on both sides of the pond had other things on their
>minds.
>
>Science fiction has been around for a long, long, time, of course, and
>Twilight Zone had been quite popular here since 1959 and space
>westerns were all over TV and kiddie matinee movies, too.

If Nov 23 was the Kennedy assassination - it would not have been on
that night. It was fairly early in the afternoon when the news
arrived in the UK and I remember all screens going to black with a
floating notice of what the news was. Later in the evening, early
morning in the USA, news came on with footage etc. It was still
delivered on film then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>True but back when maybe not so much. I enjoyed watching it with the
>>>kids, it enthralled them, silence was a rare commodity in those days,
>>>early 60s it must have been

>>1963 and a fateful evening for first broadcast, too - November 23rd. A
>>lot of folks on both sides of the pond had other things on their
>>minds.
>>
>>Science fiction has been around for a long, long, time, of course, and
>>Twilight Zone had been quite popular here since 1959 and space
>>westerns were all over TV and kiddie matinee movies, too.

>If Nov 23 was the Kennedy assassination - it would not have been on
>that night. It was fairly early in the afternoon when the news
>arrived in the UK and I remember all screens going to black with a
>floating notice of what the news was. Later in the evening, early
>morning in the USA, news came on with footage etc. It was still
>delivered on film then.

The 22nd is the assassination date. In fact, the Beeb re-ran the
first episode with concerns about that data of airing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:17:02 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> The time machine was a new concept???? Seems to me that Jules Verne
> wrote a book about one years earlier.

I think you might be mistaken about this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:47:13 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:

> The 22nd is the assassination date. In fact, the Beeb re-ran the
> first episode with concerns about that data of airing.

My granddaughter was born on the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. This makes it handy for remembering her birth-date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I guess I'll try Whole Foods between 7/14-17

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:34:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 15:26:57 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:34:47 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>>It really bothers you that she can come up with the FACTS, doesn't it.
>>>However I am surprised that you are riding on gary's coattails,
>>>sheldon.

>> I am a big believer in calling out fake news wherever I see it, online
>> or in real life. It is a good smack down not only to those who post
>> unsubstantiated drivel, but also to those gullible enough to accept
>> such drivel without question.....
>>
>> ....you know the ones I love to smack in the face and show up for the
>> idiots and liars they are.... they are kinda like Fox News and its
>> spittle-drooling followers.
>>
>> I am a researcher and number cruncher by trade and love to challenge
>> anyone's foolish ramblings.

>See?
>
>The fact remains that what Gary said is true. And you don't need to
>be a "number cruncher" to know that. Wether you're shopping for a
>car, dishwasher, or groceries, most people read ads at least
>occasionally.
>
>And as a number cruncher/data analyst myself, I find her really
>obnoxious.
>
>-sw

your repartee differs only in delivery. Maybe you are trying to
corner the market on your shtick?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:28:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:34:47 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:14:15 -0400, wrote:

>>>Boron Moron... Chief Shit Stirrer.

>> It really bothers you that she can come up with the FACTS, doesn't it.
>> However I am surprised that you are riding on gary's coattails,
>> sheldon.

>Asking for statistics regarding how many people read ads and what
>types in response to a benign (and correct) statement is downright
>kooky. Especially when that person claims to already have all the
>answers. She's just being pompous again.
>
>Most people visually examine at least some sort of advertisements.
>
>-sw

No, not pompous. It ticks me off too when someone in order to
finalize an argument says 'everybody knows, does it, etc. Rephrase
the statement instead of wimping out with the 'everybody' thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-12 5:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:17:02 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> The time machine was a new concept???? Seems to me that Jules Verne
>> wrote a book about one years earlier.

> I think you might be mistaken about this.

I might be mistaken that Jules Verne wrote a book about a time machine??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:44 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 4:23 AM, wrote:
>
>> Amazon Prime is a gigantic Bargain, anyone who complains about the
>> yearly fee has sawdust for brains.

> So one would think!
>
> I usta have Amazon Prime.Â* I even tested 'em on their claims.Â* Sure
> enough. I bought an item fer jes over $2USD.Â* It was there, at my
> doorstep, two days later, jes as Amazon promised.
>
> I even pay a guy to give me ride into town, now and then, cuz it saves
> wear/tear on my vehicle.Â* OTOH, Amazon Prime does NOT save you $$$$.Â* I
> had it for one yr (original rate), but dumped it the following yr.Â* I
> figure I saved a couple hundred dollars by NOT joining again.
>
> Lotta places now charge zero shipping.Â* Zappos --Amazon subsidiary--
> ships fer free.Â* OTOH, they want yer bought item back in perfect
> condition.Â* IOW, do NOT wear those shoes out-of-doors.Â* OTOH, New
> Balance give you "free shipping", 30 days return, and WILL allow you to
> wear those shoes, "out-of-doors".Â* Sam Ash (music store) only charges
> shipping fer orders under "$10".
>
> Sure, Amazon will save $$$$ on driving to a large urban center (for me,
> that's a 200 mi round trip), but it also promotes spending lotsa $$$$.
> So, if you have lotsa money to blow, by all means, get Amazon Prime.Â*
>
> nb

I simply don't order enough online to warrant paying an annual
membership fee.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> True but back when maybe not so much. I enjoyed watching it with the
>>> kids, it enthralled them, silence was a rare commodity in those days,
>>> early 60s it must have been

>> 1963 and a fateful evening for first broadcast, too - November 23rd. A
>> lot of folks on both sides of the pond had other things on their
>> minds.
>>
>> Science fiction has been around for a long, long, time, of course, and
>> Twilight Zone had been quite popular here since 1959 and space
>> westerns were all over TV and kiddie matinee movies, too.

> If Nov 23 was the Kennedy assassination - it would not have been on
> that night. It was fairly early in the afternoon when the news
> arrived in the UK and I remember all screens going to black with a
> floating notice of what the news was. Later in the evening, early
> morning in the USA, news came on with footage etc. It was still
> delivered on film then.

IIRC Dr Who was at teatime on Saturdays for the kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 11:44 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 7/11/2018 4:23 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> Amazon Prime is a gigantic Bargain, anyone who complains about the
>>> yearly fee has sawdust for brains.

>> So one would think!
>>
>> I usta have Amazon Prime. I even tested 'em on their claims. Sure
>> enough. I bought an item fer jes over $2USD. It was there, at my
>> doorstep, two days later, jes as Amazon promised.
>>
>> I even pay a guy to give me ride into town, now and then, cuz it saves
>> wear/tear on my vehicle. OTOH, Amazon Prime does NOT save you $$$$.
>> I had it for one yr (original rate), but dumped it the following yr.
>> I figure I saved a couple hundred dollars by NOT joining again.
>>
>> Lotta places now charge zero shipping. Zappos --Amazon subsidiary--
>> ships fer free. OTOH, they want yer bought item back in perfect
>> condition. IOW, do NOT wear those shoes out-of-doors. OTOH, New
>> Balance give you "free shipping", 30 days return, and WILL allow you
>> to wear those shoes, "out-of-doors". Sam Ash (music store) only
>> charges shipping fer orders under "$10".
>>
>> Sure, Amazon will save $$$$ on driving to a large urban center (for
>> me, that's a 200 mi round trip), but it also promotes spending lotsa
>> $$$$. So, if you have lotsa money to blow, by all means, get Amazon
>> Prime.
>>
>> nb
>>

> I simply don't order enough online to warrant paying an annual
> membership fee.
>
> Jill

So, you, like me, Jess don't need amazon. Some of us jess don't buy a
lot of crap constantly, so we jess don't need prime.

I'm sure Popeye will intervene soon, to tell us "yoose all needs to buy
amazon prime" In the navy ... blah blah blah ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 11:32:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I might be mistaken that Jules Verne wrote a book about a time machine??

Yes, what was the name of this book? I've read most of his stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-12 6:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 11:32:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I might be mistaken that Jules Verne wrote a book about a time machine??

> Yes, what was the name of this book? I've read most of his stuff.

My bad.... It was H G Wells who wrote The Time Machine. At any rate, the
time machine aspect of the TARDIS was not exactly an original concept at
the time that Dr Who was introduced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 11:44 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 7/11/2018 4:23 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> Amazon Prime is a gigantic Bargain, anyone who complains about the
>>> yearly fee has sawdust for brains.

>> So one would think!
>>
>> I usta have Amazon Prime. I even tested 'em on their claims. Sure
>> enough. I bought an item fer jes over $2USD. It was there, at my
>> doorstep, two days later, jes as Amazon promised.
>>
>> I even pay a guy to give me ride into town, now and then, cuz it
>> saves wear/tear on my vehicle. OTOH, Amazon Prime does NOT save you
>> $$$$. I had it for one yr (original rate), but dumped it the
>> following yr. I figure I saved a couple hundred dollars by NOT
>> joining again.
>>
>> Lotta places now charge zero shipping. Zappos --Amazon subsidiary--
>> ships fer free. OTOH, they want yer bought item back in perfect
>> condition. IOW, do NOT wear those shoes out-of-doors. OTOH, New
>> Balance give you "free shipping", 30 days return, and WILL allow you
>> to wear those shoes, "out-of-doors". Sam Ash (music store) only
>> charges shipping fer orders under "$10".
>>
>> Sure, Amazon will save $$$$ on driving to a large urban center (for
>> me, that's a 200 mi round trip), but it also promotes spending lotsa
>> $$$$. So, if you have lotsa money to blow, by all means, get Amazon
>> Prime.
>>
>> nb
>>

> I simply don't order enough online to warrant paying an annual
> membership fee.
>
> Jill

You simply overuse the word "simply".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 12:51 PM, Gary wrote:
> People that don't get the daily paper don't see what I do, unless
> they check websites all the time.

The Beaufort Gazette doesn't have store ad inserts anymore. I check the
store fliers online when I'm planning a shopping trip.

I don't buy much online so a Prime membership was never worth it to me.
Apparently I don't shop for hard to find items like long shoelaces. LOL

A bit of digression: Mostly what I use Amazon for is a point of
reference. I look at items when things come up in discussion on RFC or
if someone posts a link. Oh! You mean one of *those* things.

Of course Amazon then assumes I am actually interested in [whatever] and
will show me items people who bought [whatever] *also* bought. Hey, I
just wanted to see a picture and check the price of some kitchen or
household gadget someone was raving about. Don't need a membership for
that... yet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2018 6:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 5:39:54 AM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 22:33:28 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> For sure, the old horse and buggy thing comes to mind, along with mom and
>>> pop stores when supermarkets debuted, you either adapt or go under.

>> Horse and buggy sales must have dropped when trains were introduced

> You need the horse and buggy to get your luggage to the train station.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And a few people had motor cars to get to the train station... steam
powered cars.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:28:10 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 12 Jul 2018 07:43:30a, Boron Elgar told us...
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:42:49 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I love Bosch.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> Must check this out. The man who plays Bosch is a terrific actor.
>>

>I thought it was a line of appliances. :-)

My dishwasher agrees with that identification, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 12 Jul 2018 07:43:30a, Boron Elgar told us...
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 18:42:49 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> I love Bosch.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Must check this out. The man who plays Bosch is a terrific actor.
>>

> I thought it was a line of appliances. :-)

I thought it was a german spark plug.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> 1963 and a fateful evening for first broadcast, too - November 23rd. A
>>> lot of folks on both sides of the pond had other things on their
>>> minds.
>>>
>>> Science fiction has been around for a long, long, time, of course, and
>>> Twilight Zone had been quite popular here since 1959 and space
>>> westerns were all over TV and kiddie matinee movies, too.

>> If Nov 23 was the Kennedy assassination - it would not have been on
>> that night. It was fairly early in the afternoon when the news
>> arrived in the UK and I remember all screens going to black with a
>> floating notice of what the news was. Later in the evening, early
>> morning in the USA, news came on with footage etc. It was still
>> delivered on film then.
>>

>IIRC Dr Who was at teatime on Saturdays for the kids.

I think you're right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 18:54:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-07-12 6:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 11:32:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> I might be mistaken that Jules Verne wrote a book about a time machine??

>> Yes, what was the name of this book? I've read most of his stuff.
>>

>My bad.... It was H G Wells who wrote The Time Machine. At any rate, the
>time machine aspect of the TARDIS was not exactly an original concept at
>the time that Dr Who was introduced.

It was more it caught the imagination because it was a police box.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 12 Jul 2018 04:26:57p, Boron Elgar told us...
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:28:10 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 12 Jul 2018 07:43:30a, Boron Elgar told us...

>>> I thought it was a line of appliances. :-)

>> My dishwasher agrees with that identification, too.
>>

> As does mine. :-)

Harry Bosch is an LA detective. The show is 10 episodes but is just one
case he works on unlike the typical weekly series. It goes more in
depth with the characters. We'll watch the entire series over two days
when the weather is crappy and we don't want to go out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_(TV_series)

Goliath is another pretty good series.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-12 7:50 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 12 Jul 2018 04:26:57p, Boron Elgar told us...
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:28:10 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 12 Jul 2018 07:43:30a, Boron Elgar told us...

>>> I thought it was a line of appliances. :-)

>> My dishwasher agrees with that identification, too.
>>

> As does mine. :-)

And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:35:22 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-07-12 7:50 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 12 Jul 2018 04:26:57p, Boron Elgar told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:28:10 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

>>> My dishwasher agrees with that identification, too.
>>>

>> As does mine. :-)
>>

>And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(

So was our Bosch food processor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 4:35:25 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(

My VW has Bosch electronic parts. They are neither high quality or reliable. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2018 8:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Fashions in acting technique change. I doubt any of us could
> tolerate watching Richard Burbage at work.
>
> Early Hollywood acting was based on stage acting, which was
> stilted compared to modern stage acting.

Much of that acting style was based on the Delsarte system. One of my
fellow students at acting school had a copy of Delsarte's manual. The
illustrations are absolutely hilarious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 4:01:21 PM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:04:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 11:44:39 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

> >> So one would think!
> >>
> >> I usta have Amazon Prime. I even tested 'em on their claims. Sure
> >> enough. I bought an item fer jes over $2USD. It was there, at my
> >> doorstep, two days later, jes as Amazon promised.
> >>
> >> I even pay a guy to give me ride into town, now and then, cuz it saves
> >> wear/tear on my vehicle. OTOH, Amazon Prime does NOT save you $$$$. I
> >> had it for one yr (original rate), but dumped it the following yr. I
> >> figure I saved a couple hundred dollars by NOT joining again.
> >>
> >> Lotta places now charge zero shipping. Zappos --Amazon subsidiary--
> >> ships fer free. OTOH, they want yer bought item back in perfect
> >> condition. IOW, do NOT wear those shoes out-of-doors. OTOH, New
> >> Balance give you "free shipping", 30 days return, and WILL allow you to
> >> wear those shoes, "out-of-doors". Sam Ash (music store) only charges
> >> shipping fer orders under "$10".
> >>
> >> Sure, Amazon will save $$$$ on driving to a large urban center (for me,
> >> that's a 200 mi round trip), but it also promotes spending lotsa $$$$.
> >> So, if you have lotsa money to blow, by all means, get Amazon Prime.
> >>
> >> nb

> >Two words: streaming video
> >
> >Free shipping and I save $11/month by not needing Netflix. No,
> >I'm not going to stream from pirate sites. My mother taught me
> >it's wrong to steal.

> Stealing means that you take it and the owner doesn't have it anymore.
> But what if you take it and the owner still has it too?

That works for hard goods like diamonds. Not so much for software.

I don't want the product of my labor to be stolen any more than,
say, 20th Century Fox does. I want everybody who uses it to pay
for it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 7:19:15 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 12:51 PM, Gary wrote:
> > People that don't get the daily paper don't see what I do, unless
> > they check websites all the time.

> The Beaufort Gazette doesn't have store ad inserts anymore. I check the
> store fliers online when I'm planning a shopping trip.
>
> I don't buy much online so a Prime membership was never worth it to me.
> Apparently I don't shop for hard to find items like long shoelaces. LOL
>
> A bit of digression: Mostly what I use Amazon for is a point of
> reference. I look at items when things come up in discussion on RFC or
> if someone posts a link. Oh! You mean one of *those* things.
>
> Of course Amazon then assumes I am actually interested in [whatever] and
> will show me items people who bought [whatever] *also* bought. Hey, I
> just wanted to see a picture and check the price of some kitchen or
> household gadget someone was raving about. Don't need a membership for
> that... yet.
>
> Jill

Amazon will let you edit your viewing history.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:35:25 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 2018-07-12 7:50 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Thu 12 Jul 2018 04:26:57p, Boron Elgar told us...
> >
> >> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:28:10 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

> >> My dishwasher agrees with that identification, too.
> >>

> > As does mine. :-)
> >

> And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(

My Bosch range is a piece of crap (considering what it cost). When
we replaced the dishwasher, my husband wouldn't even consider a Bosch.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 2:59:22 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 7/12/2018 8:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Fashions in acting technique change. I doubt any of us could
> > tolerate watching Richard Burbage at work.
> >
> > Early Hollywood acting was based on stage acting, which was
> > stilted compared to modern stage acting.
> >

> Much of that acting style was based on the Delsarte system. One of my
> fellow students at acting school had a copy of Delsarte's manual. The
> illustrations are absolutely hilarious.

You can't fault their diction, though. No matter how fast the patter
was, you could understand every word.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 03:35:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 4:01:21 PM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:04:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >Two words: streaming video
>> >
>> >Free shipping and I save $11/month by not needing Netflix. No,
>> >I'm not going to stream from pirate sites. My mother taught me
>> >it's wrong to steal.

>> Stealing means that you take it and the owner doesn't have it anymore.
>> But what if you take it and the owner still has it too?

>That works for hard goods like diamonds. Not so much for software.
>
>I don't want the product of my labor to be stolen any more than,
>say, 20th Century Fox does. I want everybody who uses it to pay
>for it.

20th Century Fox says it all. That's last century.

But I know what you mean, of course
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 11:44 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 2:59:22 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 7/12/2018 8:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Fashions in acting technique change. I doubt any of us could
>>> tolerate watching Richard Burbage at work.
>>>
>>> Early Hollywood acting was based on stage acting, which was
>>> stilted compared to modern stage acting.
>>>

>> Much of that acting style was based on the Delsarte system. One of my
>> fellow students at acting school had a copy of Delsarte's manual. The
>> illustrations are absolutely hilarious.

> You can't fault their diction, though. No matter how fast the patter
> was, you could understand every word.

True. Clear enunciation is sadly lacking in many of the younger crop of
actors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:35:25 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-07-12 7:50 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > On Thu 12 Jul 2018 04:26:57p, Boron Elgar told us...

>> > As does mine. :-)
>> >

>> And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(

> My Bosch range is a piece of crap (considering what it cost). When
> we replaced the dishwasher, my husband wouldn't even consider a Bosch.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Sometimes with these name brand appliances, they get worse as time goes on
instead of better, cheaply made and not made to last. I have found that to
be true with some.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 2:59:22 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 7/12/2018 8:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> > Fashions in acting technique change. I doubt any of us could
>> > tolerate watching Richard Burbage at work.
>> >
>> > Early Hollywood acting was based on stage acting, which was
>> > stilted compared to modern stage acting.
>> >

>> Much of that acting style was based on the Delsarte system. One of my
>> fellow students at acting school had a copy of Delsarte's manual. The
>> illustrations are absolutely hilarious.

> You can't fault their diction, though. No matter how fast the patter
> was, you could understand every word.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And the blasting sound tracks of a lot of movies these days is just awful.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 07:59:25 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 7/12/2018 8:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Fashions in acting technique change. I doubt any of us could
>> tolerate watching Richard Burbage at work.
>>
>> Early Hollywood acting was based on stage acting, which was
>> stilted compared to modern stage acting.
>>

>Much of that acting style was based on the Delsarte system. One of my
>fellow students at acting school had a copy of Delsarte's manual. The
>illustrations are absolutely hilarious.

As someone who suffered though a Stanislavski/method class, I hesitate
to debate or counter the demerits of either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:07:08 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I've never thought What's on sale at Whole Foods? and gone there
>> for that purpose.

> Whole Foods "sales" are ripoffs. $.50 off $6.99/lb chicken breasts,
> and shit like that. I haven't been there for probably 16 months,
> but kast time I went half the stroe was closed for remodelling or
> rarranging, or whatever. I used to go there for Belgian beer,
> bread, and good hot pizza, which were the only competitively priced
> items they had.

I have things I go there to get that I don't see anywhere else.
I like their ginger ale, they have nice bread, the kefir brand
I like, etc. I have no idea if those things are ever on sale.

I glance through the sales circular for the store where I do
most of my shopping (Costco aside). I pretty much look at the
front page where the better deals seem to be but not so much
the busy inner pages. I look to see if what I need is for sale.

> So I just looked at the maps, and there are no buses that go by
> Whole Foods any more (not even if you have Amazon Prime). So I
> guess it's officially a non-destination now. No big loss.

It's a nice ride there for me, and I'll often combine the trip
with a stop at the recycle yard a couple of miles away. If I
needed to use public transportation it would be a place I never
went.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:35:25 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-07-12 7:50 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > On Thu 12 Jul 2018 04:26:57p, Boron Elgar told us...

>> > As does mine. :-)
>> >

>> And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(

> My Bosch range is a piece of crap (considering what it cost). When
> we replaced the dishwasher, my husband wouldn't even consider a Bosch.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Sometimes with these name brand appliances, they get worse as time goes on
instead of better, cheaply made and not made to last. I have found that to
be true with some.

Cheri

===

Very early last year, I had an accident and was off my feet for some time.
I didn't have a dishwasher .. didn't want one, but during the time I was off
my feet D got fed up of washing up and ordered a dishwasher <g>

It is a Bosch and has never given any bother. Is it likely to as it gets
older or would it have shown up by now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 9:33:25 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> And my Bosch oven and dishwasher were 2 very poor purchases:-(

> > My Bosch range is a piece of crap (considering what it cost). When
> > we replaced the dishwasher, my husband wouldn't even consider a Bosch.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Sometimes with these name brand appliances, they get worse as time goes on
> instead of better, cheaply made and not made to last. I have found that to
> be true with some.
>
> Cheri
>
> ===
>
> Very early last year, I had an accident and was off my feet for some time.
> I didn't have a dishwasher .. didn't want one, but during the time I was off
> my feet D got fed up of washing up and ordered a dishwasher <g>
>
> It is a Bosch and has never given any bother. Is it likely to as it gets
> older or would it have shown up by now?

I imagine that the ones sold for the U.S. market are not subject
to as stringent quality processes. It really seems to be a
crapshoot as to whether a given Bosch is wonderful or terrible.

Honestly, the only problem with my stove is that the hinges on
the oven door are faulty and the door doesn't shut properly.
We could have sent it back to the factory to be fixed, but instead
my husband fabricated a device to force the door more nearly closed.
Because the door doesn't close properly, the plastic knobs on the
front of the range have deteriorated from the heat.

Other than that, the stuff that you'd think would be really fragile,
like the controller circuit board, has been just fine.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 1:43 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On 7/12/2018 8:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> Fashions in acting technique change. I doubt any of us could
>>> tolerate watching Richard Burbage at work.
>>> Early Hollywood acting was based on stage acting, which was
>>> stilted compared to modern stage acting.

>> Much of that acting style was based on the Delsarte system. One of my
>> fellow students at acting school had a copy of Delsarte's manual. The
>> illustrations are absolutely hilarious.

> As someone who suffered though a Stanislavski/method class, I hesitate
> to debate or counter the demerits of either.

For suffering, not much could beat Paul Curtis's American Mime classes
at AADA. I liked him, but _hated_ those classes. Pure torture, and they
were a required part of the curriculum.