Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A simple basic, since we have a new cook here

There's nothing fancy with this nor is it intended to be more than a
basic dinner.

Baked Mac-n-cheese

1 16oz box elbow noodles, boiled to al dente (13 minutes here) then
drained

2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

1.5 cups cubed cheese (had a white and about 1/2 cup velveeta)

Drain pasta and add cheese then milk cans and top with some dehydrated
onions bits and french fried onions.

I served it with buttermilk rye bread and steamed cabbage with a little
roasted sesame oil.

Carol

Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
I can't find them at HEB,
Walmart, or Randalls.

**** off, no one cares.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:53:07 -0600, cshenk wrote:

2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

The 5oz cans of both evaporated and condensed milks have disappeared
off the shelves here in the last year. I can't find them at HEB,
Walmart, or Randalls.

-sw

Oh, I think these are like 4oz? I didnt look that close, sorry.

I do know they hide them on the bottom shelf though if that helps.

Carol

Old 10-11-2015, 05:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 16:53:07 -0600, cshenk wrote:

2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

The 5oz cans of both evaporated and condensed milks have disappeared
off the shelves here in the last year. I can't find them at HEB,
Walmart, or Randalls.

-sw

Oh, I think these are like 4oz? I didnt look that close, sorry.

Huh...what...sorry???

He's a WOMAN STALKER - GET A CLUE!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
There's nothing fancy with this nor is it intended to be more than a
basic dinner.

Baked Mac-n-cheese

1 16oz box elbow noodles, boiled to al dente (13 minutes here) then
drained

2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

1.5 cups cubed cheese (had a white and about 1/2 cup velveeta)

Drain pasta and add cheese then milk cans and top with some dehydrated
onions bits and french fried onions.

I served it with buttermilk rye bread and steamed cabbage with a little
roasted sesame oil.

That's not how I make mine at all. And isn't evaporated milk rather
expensive? I have not bought any since my kid was a toddler.

I just cook the macaroni, make a white sauce and add cheese to it. I do not
personally care for Velveeta in mac and cheese. I think it gives it a weird
texture.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

I cook 8oz of small shells in 2c milk for 11 min (keep it at about
180ΒΊ). The starch from the pasta thickens the milk creating the white
sauce. Then just add cheese and any spices or seasoning. Optionally I
add browned ground beef with a bit of tomato sauce. If you want to, put
it in a dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and place under a broiler.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"cshenk" wrote in message
There's nothing fancy with this nor is it intended to be more than a
basic dinner.

Baked Mac-n-cheese

1 16oz box elbow noodles, boiled to al dente (13 minutes here) then
drained

2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

1.5 cups cubed cheese (had a white and about 1/2 cup velveeta)

Drain pasta and add cheese then milk cans and top with some
dehydrated onions bits and french fried onions.

I served it with buttermilk rye bread and steamed cabbage with a
little roasted sesame oil.

That's not how I make mine at all. And isn't evaporated milk rather
expensive? I have not bought any since my kid was a toddler.

I just cook the macaroni, make a white sauce and add cheese to it. I
do not personally care for Velveeta in mac and cheese. I think it
gives it a weird texture.

Hi Julie, evaporated milk is not expensive. It's about 40cents a can
at that small size and 88cents if you get a double sized one. Since I
use it in 1/2 can (40 cents sorts) most of the time, it makes more
sense to get that size here.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On 10-Nov-2015, "Julie Bove" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
There's nothing fancy with this nor is it intended to be more
than a basic dinner.

Baked Mac-n-cheese

1 16oz box elbow noodles, boiled to al dente (13 minutes here)
then drained

2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

1.5 cups cubed cheese (had a white and about 1/2 cup velveeta)

Drain pasta and add cheese then milk cans and top with some
dehydrated onions bits and french fried onions.

I served it with buttermilk rye bread and steamed cabbage with a
little roasted sesame oil.

That's not how I make mine at all. And isn't evaporated milk rather
expensive? I have not bought any since my kid was a toddler.

I just cook the macaroni, make a white sauce and add cheese to it.

+1
My current favorite cheese to use in mac 'n cheese is Land o' Lakes
Sharp Cheddar American Blend. I have only found it at the
supermarket Deli counter, not prepackaged. It has great taste and
melts well.

Works for me! The one I used then was a Cabot brand white mxed with a
store brand velveeta knock off. Worked well!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

Works for me! The one I used then was a Cabot brand white mxed with a
store brand velveeta knock off. Worked well!

I like Cabots "Seriously Sharp" white cheddar.
Right now, I'm having a snack of cracker, slice of apple and cheese.
http://drkracker.com/our-products/cu...le-oat-crunch/
Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 3:55:49 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

I find that just about any cheddar goes with macaroni including the so-called cheese food from Kraft.
We are just making mac and cheese, not some gourmet dish for Royalty.
====

Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

I think you're short-changing the possibilities the

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/reci...nd-cheese.html

Brisket Stuffed Mac and Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Scott Hall, Bone-In Artisan BBQ

Or:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/article...mac-and-cheese

Barbecue mac and cheese

Yields 8 servings

There's a culinary trend towards making everything simple into something
gourmet. Even mac and cheese, the most basic of comfort foods, has
gotten the all-star treatment and has been turned into legendary fare
like this dish. It has bacon (which is never bad) and a homemade beer
cheese sauce that is actually baked on the grill.

Ingredients:

1 pound elbow macaroni
Salt
Cooking spray, diced
4 strips smoky bacon, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups wheat beer
2 cups cheddar cheese
1/2 cup brisket
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I just tried a new Mac & Cheese restaurant in Manchester, NH called Mr. Mac.. It was really good. There are about 15 or 20 different combos. The one I had was macaroni, Cabot Cheddar cheese, pieces of white meat chicken, and bacon, with a small drizzle of Ranch dressing on the top, which gave it a little tang. It's served in a cast iron frying pan. The place was busy, with lots of people doing takeout. I asked if it was a chain restaurant, but the manager said no, but they'd like to expand eventually. My order was about $8, also available in a larger size (for 2), and a much larger family size. They said their most popular was Buffalo chicken mac and cheese, and Philly steak mac and cheese. Actually, I've never found a Mac and cheese I didn't like.

Denise in NH

Old 10-11-2015, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

cshenk wrote:

Works for me! The one I used then was a Cabot brand white mxed
with a store brand velveeta knock off. Worked well!

I like Cabots "Seriously Sharp" white cheddar.
Right now, I'm having a snack of cracker, slice of apple and cheese.
http://drkracker.com/our-products/cu...le-oat-crunch/

Thats what I used. Harris Teeter had a by 2 get 3 free sale about 3
weeks ago. I used about 1/2 a block for the Mac-N-Cheese.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Storkamp wrote in rec.food.cooking:

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

180B. The starch from the pasta thickens the milk creating the
white sauce. Then just add cheese and any spices or seasoning.
Optionally I add browned ground beef with a bit of tomato sauce. If
you want to, put it in a dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and place
under a broiler.

A bazillion ways to make it! Mine was simple and frankly other than
amounts for baking, I don't stock milk here much so tend to not think
of it but rather deflect to alternatives ;-)

If I want a white sauce, I snag some small milk container from 7-11
(there's one in a close walk from here). Not the cheapest milk, but
there's no waste so in the end, saves money vs tossing out excess milk
all the time.

Carol

Old 10-11-2015, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. I like the mix and match of types of cheeses in there. The
store brand 'velveeta knock off' is no different from velveeta, just
1/2 the price. Made all with that velveeta type, doesnt spark my
interest but kept to no more than 1/3 the cheeses used and mix and
match the rest with others, you can get really nice mac-n-cheese.