Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Storkamp Mark Storkamp is offline

Default A simple basic, since we have a new cook here

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > There's nothing fancy with this nor is it intended to be more than a
> > basic dinner.
> >
> > Baked Mac-n-cheese
> >
> > 1 16oz box elbow noodles, boiled to al dente (13 minutes here) then
> > drained
> >
> > 2 small cans evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
> >
> > 1.5 cups cubed cheese (had a white and about 1/2 cup velveeta)
> >
> > Drain pasta and add cheese then milk cans and top with some dehydrated
> > onions bits and french fried onions.
> >
> > I served it with buttermilk rye bread and steamed cabbage with a little
> > roasted sesame oil.

> That's not how I make mine at all. And isn't evaporated milk rather
> expensive? I have not bought any since my kid was a toddler.
>
> I just cook the macaroni, make a white sauce and add cheese to it. I do not
> personally care for Velveeta in mac and cheese. I think it gives it a weird
> texture.

I cook 8oz of small shells in 2c milk for 11 min (keep it at about
180ยบ). The starch from the pasta thickens the milk creating the white
sauce. Then just add cheese and any spices or seasoning. Optionally I
add browned ground beef with a bit of tomato sauce. If you want to, put
it in a dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and place under a broiler.