Old 20-07-2015, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [PING] koko - Persian rice

koko,

I was perusing yer website and ran across the skewered chicken thing.
Looks like a good start for Thai Satay. Anyway, what is yer recipe
for Persian rice? More importantly, how to make the tahdig.

I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?

nb

Old 20-07-2015, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jul 2015 14:18:27 GMT, notbob wrote:

I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?

Have you seen what The Splendid Table has on the subject?
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/tahdig

--

sf
Old 21-07-2015, 01:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jul 2015 14:18:27 GMT, notbob wrote:

koko,

I was perusing yer website and ran across the skewered chicken thing.
Looks like a good start for Thai Satay. Anyway, what is yer recipe
for Persian rice? More importantly, how to make the tahdig.

I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?

nb

nb
It's important to use a non-stick saucepan. I bought a cheap-o from
T.J Maxx and it works a treat.

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"
I took a screenshot of the cookbook page because I haven't had the
time to enter it into my cooking program yet. Hope it shows up clear
enough. If not let me know.
https://flic.kr/p/vZtTic
https://flic.kr/p/vjX4DN

It took me a few tires to get it right, but it's well worth the
effort.
Take your time with step 5 through 7. Make sure your heat is high
enough, but then again, not so hot it will burn. I found that cooking
it over medium heat was a bit low for my stove so I cranked it up just
a bit. Also, be sure and let it cook long enough, at least the 10
minutes mentioned in the recipe.

The tahdig
https://flic.kr/p/uwZcVS

Hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out.
Once you get it figured out, you can ace it every time.

koko

James Beard
Old 21-07-2015, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:56:18 -0700, sf wrote:

On 20 Jul 2015 14:18:27 GMT, notbob wrote:

I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?

Have you seen what The Splendid Table has on the subject?
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/tahdig

I almost bought the cookbook that the Splendid Table got the recipe
from, but if I remember right, there were too many negative reviews.

koko

James Beard
Old 21-07-2015, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:26:53 -0700, koko wrote:

On 20 Jul 2015 14:18:27 GMT, notbob wrote:

koko,

I was perusing yer website and ran across the skewered chicken thing.
Looks like a good start for Thai Satay. Anyway, what is yer recipe
for Persian rice? More importantly, how to make the tahdig.

I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?

nb

nb
It's important to use a non-stick saucepan. I bought a cheap-o from
T.J Maxx and it works a treat.

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"

I really don't want to celebrate anything Irani.

Old 21-07-2015, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2015 7:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:26:53 -0700, koko wrote:

On 20 Jul 2015 14:18:27 GMT, notbob wrote:

koko,

I was perusing yer website and ran across the skewered chicken thing.
Looks like a good start for Thai Satay. Anyway, what is yer recipe
for Persian rice? More importantly, how to make the tahdig.

I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?

nb

nb
It's important to use a non-stick saucepan. I bought a cheap-o from
T.J Maxx and it works a treat.

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"

I really don't want to celebrate anything Irani.

Hard to argue that until you read up and understand their younger people
are HUNGRY for freedom from the Mullah's oppression.

No joke.

Some good folks over there.
Old 21-07-2015, 05:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 19:51:34 -0600, "Dr. Edward Morbius"
wrote:

On 7/20/2015 7:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"

I really don't want to celebrate anything Irani.

Hard to argue that until you read up and understand their younger people
are HUNGRY for freedom from the Mullah's oppression.

No joke.

Some good folks over there.

Agree and just to illustrate how badly drawing a line in the sands
went... many young immigrants deny being Iranian and insist they are
Persian. I can't blame them for that.

--

sf
Old 21-07-2015, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-21, koko wrote:

Hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out.

I'm able to read the recipe, jes fine. Thank you.

Strange, I've never heard of adding stuff, like yogurt and oil, to a
tahdig, but I'll give it a try. I'm not a rice fan, but like the
crunchiness of a tahdig as a filler/base for curries. I usta make a
Thai fish curry w/ coconut milk and served over a crunchy tahdig.

nb
Old 21-07-2015, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

wrote:

On 7/20/2015 7:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"

I really don't want to celebrate anything Irani.

It's always nice to get the topic off of food and back to generalized
noise. I suppose during our first Iraqi war you didn't celebrate
French food either. It must be tough to regulate your diet based on
the daily headlines.

Hard to argue that until you read up and understand their younger people
are HUNGRY for freedom from the Mullah's oppression.

Never difficult for me to eat the cultural artifacts of a country or a
people despite the fact that their country and our country like to
fight wars. I don't think I've ever heard one person every carp about
Chinese food because of Mao or their human rights or trade imbalance.

Agree and just to illustrate how badly drawing a line in the sands
went... many young immigrants deny being Iranian and insist they are
Persian. I can't blame them for that.

I went to school in Oklahoma in the late 60's and there were many
Iranians students there, mostly studying petrol engineering. They
*always* referred to themselves as Persians. They spoke with great
loathing of the Shah, and great disgust with the USA for propping him
up. 10 years later they spoke with disgust about how we supported
Iraq's border war with them--but still called themselves Persians. Now
they have about 80 years of complaints--all of them predicated on
America's love for Saudi oil and deference to Saudi paranoia--but still
call themselves Persians.

I've concluded it's like a Brazilian calling themselves Cariocas or
something. Iran is a country populated by Persians.

Old 21-07-2015, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:04:04 -0700, gtr wrote:

Iran is a country populated by Persians.

To put that in perspective, this is similar to saying that the UK is a
country populated by the English. While the statement is true as far
as it goes, it's also incomplete.

--
Bob
Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata est

Old 21-07-2015, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 7/20/2015 7:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"

I really don't want to celebrate anything Irani.

Hard to argue that until you read up and understand their younger people
are HUNGRY for freedom from the Mullah's oppression.

No joke.

Some good folks over there.

Agree and just to illustrate how badly drawing a line in the sands
went... many young immigrants deny being Iranian and insist they are
Persian. I can't blame them for that.

I completely agree.

That nation has legitimate upside, IF the Mullahs can be sent packing.
Old 21-07-2015, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-21 15:13:38 +0000, Opinicus said:

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:04:04 -0700, gtr wrote:

I've concluded it's like a Brazilian calling themselves Cariocas or
something. Iran is a country populated by Persians.

To put that in perspective, this is similar to saying that the UK is a
country populated by the English. While the statement is true as far
as it goes, it's also incomplete.

There may be an argument over the validity of the category of "ethnic
Persian", to distinguish the, say, from those ethnicities that
constitue Indians or Arabs (by whatever name), but I've never heard of
one, argued or otherwise, regarding the "Ethnic English". I wouldn't
be surprised though, as we have some Americans (as well as Entlish and
Swedish for instance) that are slicing and dicing the "white race" as a
political and racial category for their own needs.

Poking around in wikipedia I find that the topic of defining who is a
Persian and what constitutes that Persian-ness is far from fixed.

"Some scholars, classify the speakers of Persian language as a single
ethnic unit (the "Persians) and exclude those Iranians who speak
dialects of Persian, or other Iranian dialects closely related to
Persian; however this approach to ethnicity in Iran is erroneous, since
the designation Iranian (Irani) as an ethnic term has been used by all
these ethnic group in Iran, including the "Persians" irrespective of
their origin, language and religion."

I have no emotional investment in the issue, but feel comfortable with
my conclusion: Iranians call themselves and think of themselves as
Persians, without it being about how much or little they love or hate
this year's leaders.

Old 21-07-2015, 11:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-07-21 16:57:35 +0000, Dr. Edward Morbius said:

Agree and just to illustrate how badly drawing a line in the sands
went... many young immigrants deny being Iranian and insist they are
Persian. I can't blame them for that.

I completely agree.

That nation has legitimate upside, IF the Mullahs can be sent packing.

Yeah, if America could get rid of our Christian equivalent
("preachers") might get some legitimacy too.

Old 21-07-2015, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2015 3:58 PM, gtr wrote:
On 2015-07-21 15:13:38 +0000, Opinicus said:

[...]

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zor...sm/iranpersia/

The names Iran and Persia are often used interchangeably to mean the
same country. Iran is the legal name. Persia, was an ancient kingdom
within Iran. Iran came to be known as Persia in the West thanks to
classical Greek authors during whose time Persia was the dominant
kingdom in Iran. To call all of Iran 'Persia', would be like calling all
of Britain 'England'.

Evolution of the Name Iran

Iran is a relatively modern contraction of the name Airyana Vaeja (the
ancient homeland of the Airya or Aryans).

Over time, Airyana Vaeja became Airan-Vej, then Eran-Vej or Airan-Vej
(the Parthians and Sassanians had a slightly different pronunciation),
then Eran or Airan, and finally Iran.

Continued Western Use of the name Persia for Iran

The West, influenced as it was by Greek and Latin literature, continued
to call Eran 'Persia', presumably out of habit or because the rulers of
Iran were Persians. That Western tradition continued into the last
century until the reign of Iranian king, Reza Shah, founder of the
Pahlavi dynasty. In 1935 CE, Reza Shah asked those countries with whom
Iran had diplomatic relations, to stop using the name Persia and to
formally refer to his country as Iran. Some Euro-centric map-makers and
authors ignored this formal request and continued to use Persia as the
name instead of Iran.

Old 21-07-2015, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-21 16:57:35 +0000, Dr. Edward Morbius said:

Agree and just to illustrate how badly drawing a line in the sands
went... many young immigrants deny being Iranian and insist they are
Persian. I can't blame them for that.

I completely agree.

That nation has legitimate upside, IF the Mullahs can be sent packing.

Yeah, if America could get rid of our Christian equivalent ("preachers")
might get some legitimacy too.

Do our preachers run the political process?

Um, no they don't.

Hmmm...did our "preachers" threaten to "wipe Israel off the map"?

Uh no, they didn't.

So then WTF is your major mental malfunction?

Or perhaps your idea of what "legitimacy" is may be wholly corrupt.

Persian Rice. James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 4 31-10-2009 09:29 PM
Lubria Polo (Persian Green Bean Rice) Ben Yap General Cooking 7 04-02-2007 10:03 PM
Persian Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM
Persian Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM
Persian Rice & Pistachio Salad MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 29-02-2004 11:16 PM