Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default [PING] koko - Persian rice

On 2015-07-21 04:34:13 +0000, sf said:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 19:51:34 -0600, "Dr. Edward Morbius"
> > wrote:

>>> I really don't want to celebrate anything Irani.

It's always nice to get the topic off of food and back to generalized
noise. I suppose during our first Iraqi war you didn't celebrate
French food either. It must be tough to regulate your diet based on
the daily headlines.

>> Hard to argue that until you read up and understand their younger people
>> are HUNGRY for freedom from the Mullah's oppression.

Never difficult for me to eat the cultural artifacts of a country or a
people despite the fact that their country and our country like to
fight wars. I don't think I've ever heard one person every carp about
Chinese food because of Mao or their human rights or trade imbalance.

> Agree and just to illustrate how badly drawing a line in the sands
> went... many young immigrants deny being Iranian and insist they are
> Persian. I can't blame them for that.

I went to school in Oklahoma in the late 60's and there were many
Iranians students there, mostly studying petrol engineering. They
*always* referred to themselves as Persians. They spoke with great
loathing of the Shah, and great disgust with the USA for propping him
up. 10 years later they spoke with disgust about how we supported
Iraq's border war with them--but still called themselves Persians. Now
they have about 80 years of complaints--all of them predicated on
America's love for Saudi oil and deference to Saudi paranoia--but still
call themselves Persians.

I've concluded it's like a Brazilian calling themselves Cariocas or
something. Iran is a country populated by Persians.