Old 31-10-2009, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Persian Rice.

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place and it
occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains much longer than
the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell me the name of this *very*
long-grain rice? A web search has not been too enlightening so far.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 31-10-2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 31, 11:45 am, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place and it
occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains much longer than
the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell me the name of this *very*
long-grain rice? A web search has not been too enlightening so far.

The recipes I've seen for Persian rice preparations call for basmati,
which is typically longer than long-grain. Maybe your Persian place
happened to get a crop that was especially long. Usually you soak
basmati prior to cooking, which will also expand it somewhat. -aem

Old 31-10-2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place and it
occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains much longer than
the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell me the name of this *very*
long-grain rice? A web search has not been too enlightening so far.

Basmati rice, probably.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 31-10-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:53:41 +1300:

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place
and it occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains
much longer than the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell
me the name of this *very* long-grain rice? A web search has
not been too enlightening so far.

Basmati rice, probably.

Miche

Thanks! Thanks to aem too! I think you are right and there is a
difference between the original Bismati rice and the Texmati that I have
been using. Texmati tastes quite good but it does not seem to expand as
much as the original. I suppose that's logical enough since Texmati is a
hybrid.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 31-10-2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Miche wrote on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:53:41 +1300:

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place
and it occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains
much longer than the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell
me the name of this *very* long-grain rice? A web search has
not been too enlightening so far.

Basmati rice, probably.

Thanks! Thanks to aem too! I think you are right and there is a
difference between the original Bismati rice and the Texmati that I have
been using. Texmati tastes quite good but it does not seem to expand as
much as the original. I suppose that's logical enough since Texmati is a
hybrid.

Glad to have been of help.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

[PING] koko - Persian rice notbob General Cooking 58 23-07-2015 11:20 PM
Lubria Polo (Persian Green Bean Rice) Ben Yap General Cooking 7 04-02-2007 10:03 PM
Persian Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM
Persian Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM
Persian Rice & Pistachio Salad MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 29-02-2004 11:16 PM