Posted to rec.food.cooking
koko koko is offline

Default [PING] koko - Persian rice

On 20 Jul 2015 14:18:27 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>koko,
>
>I was perusing yer website and ran across the skewered chicken thing.
>Looks like a good start for Thai Satay. Anyway, what is yer recipe
>for Persian rice? More importantly, how to make the tahdig.
>
>I usta have a Persian rice cooker that always made a tahdig, but hadda
>toss it when I moved. Rather than purchase another specialty cooker,
>I'd like to make a tahdig with jes a pot/pan. What's yer technique?
>
>nb

nb
It's important to use a non-stick saucepan. I bought a cheap-o from
T.J Maxx and it works a treat.

Here's the recipe I use. I got it from a Persian cookbook "The Taste
of Persia"
I took a screenshot of the cookbook page because I haven't had the
time to enter it into my cooking program yet. Hope it shows up clear
enough. If not let me know.
https://flic.kr/p/vZtTic
https://flic.kr/p/vjX4DN

It took me a few tires to get it right, but it's well worth the
effort.
Take your time with step 5 through 7. Make sure your heat is high
enough, but then again, not so hot it will burn. I found that cooking
it over medium heat was a bit low for my stove so I cranked it up just
a bit. Also, be sure and let it cook long enough, at least the 10
minutes mentioned in the recipe.

The tahdig
https://flic.kr/p/uwZcVS

Hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out.
Once you get it figured out, you can ace it every time.

koko

James Beard