Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean myth debunked

It's been said by some folks, here, beans all taste the same after
cooking. That one cannot tell which bean was used once the dish is
finished. I think I even agreed. Well, I was wrong, too.

I'm here to tell you is jes ain't so. I jes made up a mess of Cajun
Red Beans, like Red Beans & Rice. Only, I used great northern dried
beans. Know what it tastes like? It tastes like great northern beans
with a whole buncha cajun flavoring. Yep. All the best ingredients.
Fresh trinity, whole garlic, new bay leaves, Tony Chachere's Creole
spice, ham, sausage, Louisiana Hot Sauce, etc. Actually, it tastes
great!! But, it tastes like a great pot of Cajun great northern
beans, not classic Cajun red beans. So, if ya' want the real deal,
use red beans.

nb

Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:45:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

When I cooked those Jacob's Cattle/Trout beans, they seemed to have very
little flavor at all. Perhaps I didn't season them right. But they were
one bean I'd just as soon forget.

That's my point about beans. Most of them don't have a distinctive
flavor and you end up tasting the seasoning, not the bean. For
instance, cannellini, great northern and navy beans taste pretty much
the same to me, but there's a huge difference with texture AFAIC. For
me, black eyed peas, lentils and chickpeas (which I hate for both
taste and texture when left whole) are all very distinctive... but
there's little difference between white beans AFAIC unless you're
talking about texture. I've experimented with expensive beans, like
Borlotti, and to tell you the truth, pinto or small white would have
worked for me in whatever recipe it was I used them in. I don't think
I've seen Trout beans, but I probably would have the same opinion.
You're the bean person, so I don't doubt your opinion.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 7, 2:19*pm, notbob wrote:
It's been said by some folks, here, beans all taste the same after
cooking. *That one cannot tell which bean was used once the dish is
finished. *I think I even agreed. *Well, I was wrong, too.

I'm here to tell you is jes ain't so. *I jes made up a mess of Cajun
Red Beans, like Red Beans & Rice. *Only, I used great northern dried
beans. *Know what it tastes like? *It tastes like great northern beans
with a whole buncha cajun flavoring. *Yep. *All the best ingredients.
Fresh trinity, whole garlic, new bay leaves, Tony Chachere's Creole
spice, ham, sausage, Louisiana Hot Sauce, etc. *Actually, it tastes
great!! *But, it tastes like a great pot of Cajun great northern
beans, not classic Cajun red beans. *So, if ya' want the real deal,
use red beans.

nb

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I do find the white beans to be very similar and I will substitute one
for another if I can't find or don't have what the recipe specifically
calls for. But I do find differences with other beans. Black beans are the
weird one for me. Love most black bean soup, provided they keep it simple
and don't muck it up. For instance, Azteza puts cubed potatoes in theirs.
The end result is overly thick with almost a sticky/gloppy consistancy and
very bland. You taste the potatoes more than the beans. Not good. But I
don't really like to eat black beans on their own and I don't much like them
cold on a salad or mixed in a salsa.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-08, ImStillMags wrote:

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.

We've been down this road before. Find someone else to play this
game.

I don't know about pinto beans as I didn't use pinto beans. I used
great northern beans, so it's great northern beans I commented on.
Why don't you use whatever bean floats yer boat and get back to us
with your conclusions instead of attemping to engage me about beans I
did NOT use or even mention.

nb

Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:19:38 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
It's been said by some folks, here, beans all taste the same after

cooking. That one cannot tell which bean was used once the dish is

finished. I think I even agreed. Well, I was wrong, too.

There is no shame in *having been* wrong. You are now correct, and deserve
respect for admitting that you were incorrect in the past. Every intelligent
person has made mistakes. Those who are too insecure to modify their
positions in the face of evidence don't deserve respect.

nb

--Bryan
Old 08-02-2013, 05:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:54:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Black beans are the
weird one for me. Love most black bean soup, provided they keep it simple
and don't muck it up. For instance, Azteza puts cubed potatoes in theirs.
The end result is overly thick with almost a sticky/gloppy consistancy and
very bland. You taste the potatoes more than the beans. Not good. But I
don't really like to eat black beans on their own and I don't much like them
cold on a salad or mixed in a salsa.

I love black beans straight from the can and use them in burritos and
soft tacos. I have had black bean soup that I loved too... it was
called "Cuban" black bean soup and the person who fed it to me said
the she followed the recipe on the bag. I haven't seen a recipe for
what she described to me. No potatoes were involved, in fact I have no
idea why any decent bean soup recipe would call for potatoes.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:33:52 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
wrote:

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.

I'd never eaten red beans and rice before I made it, but I used "small
red beans" as prescribed. What an utter and complete disappointment!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-08, ImStillMags wrote:

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.

We've been down this road before. Find someone else to play this
game.

I don't know about pinto beans as I didn't use pinto beans. I used
great northern beans, so it's great northern beans I commented on.
Why don't you use whatever bean floats yer boat and get back to us
with your conclusions instead of attemping to engage me about beans I
did NOT use or even mention.

She was agreeing with you, stupid.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Black beans are the
weird one for me. Love most black bean soup, provided they keep it
simple and don't muck it up. For instance, Azteza puts cubed
potatoes in theirs. The end result is overly thick with almost a
sticky/gloppy consistancy and very bland. You taste the potatoes
more than the beans. Not good. But I don't really like to eat
black beans on their own and I don't much like them cold on a salad
or mixed in a salsa.

I love black beans straight from the can and use them in burritos and
soft tacos. I have had black bean soup that I loved too... it was
called "Cuban" black bean soup and the person who fed it to me said
the she followed the recipe on the bag. I haven't seen a recipe for
what she described to me. No potatoes were involved, in fact I have no
idea why any decent bean soup recipe would call for potatoes.

Because it is made at a crappy chain restaurant? I don't know that I've
ever had them in a burrito. Have had in a taco but would prefer refried,
pinto or even kidney.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.

I'd never eaten red beans and rice before I made it, but I used "small
red beans" as prescribed. What an utter and complete disappointment!

I don't mind plain beans and rice. But with the Cajun seasonings? No. Not
for me.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.

I'd never eaten red beans and rice before I made it, but I used "small
red beans" as prescribed. What an utter and complete disappointment!

I like it better with kidney beans than either "small red beans" or
the small, red, adzuki beans that I used the first time.

I'll bet that has a lot to do with the fact that for the first 40
years of my life 'beans' meant canned red kidney beans.

Jim
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Yes. RED BEANS , not kidney bens or any other bean.

I'd never eaten red beans and rice before I made it, but I used "small
red beans" as prescribed. What an utter and complete disappointment!

I like it better with kidney beans than either "small red beans" or
the small, red, adzuki beans that I used the first time.

I was actively discouraged from using adzuki beans when I was trying
to figure out which bean to use. Maybe I'll give them a try sometime,
I think I have some on hand.

I'll bet that has a lot to do with the fact that for the first 40
years of my life 'beans' meant canned red kidney beans.

Your mother sounds like mine. Canned kidney beans only which went
straight into hamburger based chili. The other bean that we ate was
black eyed peas... method: open the can, heat (no added seasoning),
put it on the plate. I liked them anyway. Still do, but I can't
remember the last time I made them - I should remedy that.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A more difficult question is the difference between different types of
potatoes. There is a flavor and texture variation. However, more-so
than for beans, there is an incredible variation of quality when
bought from the store.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old 08-02-2013, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

I never heard of this myth but would be surprised to think I couldn't
tell the difference between one bean and another, and certainly doubt
that is the case. But to Marty's point; if the beans are really
similar, I'm sure I could be faked-out in a blind taste test.

I agree, I'm positive I would be able to tell borlotti and cannellini apart,
but with more similar beans I think things would get more difficult
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin