Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Bean myth debunked

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:54:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Black beans are the
> weird one for me. Love most black bean soup, provided they keep it simple
> and don't muck it up. For instance, Azteza puts cubed potatoes in theirs.
> The end result is overly thick with almost a sticky/gloppy consistancy and
> very bland. You taste the potatoes more than the beans. Not good. But I
> don't really like to eat black beans on their own and I don't much like them
> cold on a salad or mixed in a salsa.

I love black beans straight from the can and use them in burritos and
soft tacos. I have had black bean soup that I loved too... it was
called "Cuban" black bean soup and the person who fed it to me said
the she followed the recipe on the bag. I haven't seen a recipe for
what she described to me. No potatoes were involved, in fact I have no
idea why any decent bean soup recipe would call for potatoes.