Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Bean myth debunked

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:45:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> When I cooked those Jacob's Cattle/Trout beans, they seemed to have very
> little flavor at all. Perhaps I didn't season them right. But they were
> one bean I'd just as soon forget.

That's my point about beans. Most of them don't have a distinctive
flavor and you end up tasting the seasoning, not the bean. For
instance, cannellini, great northern and navy beans taste pretty much
the same to me, but there's a huge difference with texture AFAIC. For
me, black eyed peas, lentils and chickpeas (which I hate for both
taste and texture when left whole) are all very distinctive... but
there's little difference between white beans AFAIC unless you're
talking about texture. I've experimented with expensive beans, like
Borlotti, and to tell you the truth, pinto or small white would have
worked for me in whatever recipe it was I used them in. I don't think
I've seen Trout beans, but I probably would have the same opinion.
You're the bean person, so I don't doubt your opinion.