Fred

Default Some kitchen cutlery myths debunked.

The good thing about learning and knowledge is that we can all use more of
it and we never can get it all. I've learned a lot lately because of a new
chef's knife I bought and I'm having to relearn some of my rules about
kitchen cutlery, many of which are really myths.

My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
brand you can name included in the mix.

It is almost 10" long but is lighter and easier to control than most of my
8" chef's knives. Despite the long blade and the half bolsters (added not
integral as on a forged knife) this knife balances perfectly. No kidding.
Perfectly. Better than any German forged 8" chef's knife.

Cheap steel in a stamped knife? Noooo. Not on this one. The steel is
hardened to around RC60 - hard compared to a European forged knife. It can
take an acute bevel and angle and maintain it thanks to that hardness.

Sure half bolsters make maintenance of the knife easier but you get a blade
heavy tool, right? Nope. Not so here.

So what's the deal? My new chef's knife is stamped but the tang is thicker
than the blade, the rivets are humongous, a fairly heavy bolster was added
in front of the scales and the darned thing balances exactly as it should.
The result is a knife that is not only perfectly balanced but just the right
weight. The hard thin blade allows sharpness not possible in a forged knife
so the knife performs like magic. Cheap? Nope. Worth it? Yes, to me. I
wish I could sell these, they are fantastic. As it is, I have to content
myself with simply using one and I'm content indeed. Click on the link
below for an image.

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/ebay/misono.jpg

Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Louis Cohen

Why not sell them?

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Fred" > wrote in message
> The good thing about learning and knowledge is that we can all use more of
> it and we never can get it all. I've learned a lot lately because of a

new
> chef's knife I bought and I'm having to relearn some of my rules about
> kitchen cutlery, many of which are really myths.
>
> My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
> best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
> brand you can name included in the mix.
>
> It is almost 10" long but is lighter and easier to control than most of my
> 8" chef's knives. Despite the long blade and the half bolsters (added not
> integral as on a forged knife) this knife balances perfectly. No kidding.
> Perfectly. Better than any German forged 8" chef's knife.
>
> Cheap steel in a stamped knife? Noooo. Not on this one. The steel is
> hardened to around RC60 - hard compared to a European forged knife. It

can
> take an acute bevel and angle and maintain it thanks to that hardness.
>
> Sure half bolsters make maintenance of the knife easier but you get a

blade
> heavy tool, right? Nope. Not so here.
>
> So what's the deal? My new chef's knife is stamped but the tang is

thicker
> than the blade, the rivets are humongous, a fairly heavy bolster was added
> in front of the scales and the darned thing balances exactly as it should.
> The result is a knife that is not only perfectly balanced but just the

right
> weight. The hard thin blade allows sharpness not possible in a forged

knife
> so the knife performs like magic. Cheap? Nope. Worth it? Yes, to me.

> wish I could sell these, they are fantastic. As it is, I have to content
> myself with simply using one and I'm content indeed. Click on the link
> below for an image.
>
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/ebay/misono.jpg
>
> Fred
> Knife Outlet
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Fred

They have no US distribution-just one retailer in New York. I'd have to
import them myself and I don't even know how to get in touch with them or if
they speak English. If you're interested you can buy them online at
http://www.japanese-knife.com.

Fred

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Why not sell them?

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "Fred" > wrote in message
> > The good thing about learning and knowledge is that we can all use more

of
> > it and we never can get it all. I've learned a lot lately because of a

> new
> > chef's knife I bought and I'm having to relearn some of my rules about
> > kitchen cutlery, many of which are really myths.
> >
> > My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
> > best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
> > brand you can name included in the mix.
> >
> > It is almost 10" long but is lighter and easier to control than most of

my
> > 8" chef's knives. Despite the long blade and the half bolsters (added

not
> > integral as on a forged knife) this knife balances perfectly. No

kidding.
> > Perfectly. Better than any German forged 8" chef's knife.
> >
> > Cheap steel in a stamped knife? Noooo. Not on this one. The steel is
> > hardened to around RC60 - hard compared to a European forged knife. It

> can
> > take an acute bevel and angle and maintain it thanks to that hardness.
> >
> > Sure half bolsters make maintenance of the knife easier but you get a

> blade
> > heavy tool, right? Nope. Not so here.
> >
> > So what's the deal? My new chef's knife is stamped but the tang is

> thicker
> > than the blade, the rivets are humongous, a fairly heavy bolster was

added
> > in front of the scales and the darned thing balances exactly as it

should.
> > The result is a knife that is not only perfectly balanced but just the

> right
> > weight. The hard thin blade allows sharpness not possible in a forged

> knife
> > so the knife performs like magic. Cheap? Nope. Worth it? Yes, to me.

> > wish I could sell these, they are fantastic. As it is, I have to

content
> > myself with simply using one and I'm content indeed. Click on the link
> > below for an image.
> >
> > http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/ebay/misono.jpg
> >
> > Fred
> > Knife Outlet
> > http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Edwin Pawlowski

"Fred" > wrote in message
> The good thing about learning and knowledge is that we can all use more of
> it and we never can get it all.

What for? To mess up a good argument by using FACTS????

> My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
> best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
> brand you can name included in the mix.
>
> Cheap? Nope. Worth it? Yes, to me. I
> wish I could sell these, they are fantastic. As it is, I have to content
> myself with simply using one and I'm content indeed. Click on the link
> below for an image.
>
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/ebay/misono.jpg
>
> Fred

Nice looking tool, Fred. See if you can get them to sell.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Fred

"Just Another Alias" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
> >best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
> >brand you can name included in the mix.

> Gosh! Wow! Where can I buy these?

http://www.japanese-knife.com

Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Jeffrey Dunnam

Thanks for this post Fred. I have wondered about the Misono knives. I am
glad you are so satisfied. As always your posts are informative.
"Fred" > wrote in message
> The good thing about learning and knowledge is that we can all use more of
> it and we never can get it all. I've learned a lot lately because of a

new
> chef's knife I bought and I'm having to relearn some of my rules about
> kitchen cutlery, many of which are really myths.
>
> My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
> best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
> brand you can name included in the mix.
>
> It is almost 10" long but is lighter and easier to control than most of my
> 8" chef's knives. Despite the long blade and the half bolsters (added not
> integral as on a forged knife) this knife balances perfectly. No kidding.
> Perfectly. Better than any German forged 8" chef's knife.
>
> Cheap steel in a stamped knife? Noooo. Not on this one. The steel is
> hardened to around RC60 - hard compared to a European forged knife. It

can
> take an acute bevel and angle and maintain it thanks to that hardness.
>
> Sure half bolsters make maintenance of the knife easier but you get a

blade
> heavy tool, right? Nope. Not so here.
>
> So what's the deal? My new chef's knife is stamped but the tang is

thicker
> than the blade, the rivets are humongous, a fairly heavy bolster was added
> in front of the scales and the darned thing balances exactly as it should.
> The result is a knife that is not only perfectly balanced but just the

right
> weight. The hard thin blade allows sharpness not possible in a forged

knife
> so the knife performs like magic. Cheap? Nope. Worth it? Yes, to me.

> wish I could sell these, they are fantastic. As it is, I have to content
> myself with simply using one and I'm content indeed. Click on the link
> below for an image.
>
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/ebay/misono.jpg
>
> Fred
> Knife Outlet
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Arturo

>Thanks for this post Fred. I have wondered about the Misono knives. I am
>glad you are so satisfied. As always your posts are informative.
>"Fred" > wrote in message
>> The good thing about learning and knowledge is that we can all use more of
>> it and we never can get it all. I've learned a lot lately because of a

>new
>> chef's knife I bought and I'm having to relearn some of my rules about
>> kitchen cutlery, many of which are really myths.
>>
>> My new chef's knife is blocked (stamped.) Inferior? Hardly. it is the
>> best best chef's knife I own and I own about 25 of them with nearly any
>> brand you can name included in the mix.
>>
>> It is almost 10" long but is lighter and easier to control than most of my
>> 8" chef's knives. Despite the long blade and the half bolsters (added not
>> integral as on a forged knife) this knife balances perfectly. No kidding.
>> Perfectly. Better than any German forged 8" chef's knife.
>>
>> Cheap steel in a stamped knife? Noooo. Not on this one. The steel is
>> hardened to around RC60 - hard compared to a European forged knife. It

>can
>> take an acute bevel and angle and maintain it thanks to that hardness.
>>
>> Sure half bolsters make maintenance of the knife easier but you get a

>blade
>> heavy tool, right? Nope. Not so here.
>>
>> So what's the deal? My new chef's knife is stamped but the tang is

>thicker
>> than the blade, the rivets are humongous, a fairly heavy bolster was added
>> in front of the scales and the darned thing balances exactly as it should.
>> The result is a knife that is not only perfectly balanced but just the

>right
>> weight. The hard thin blade allows sharpness not possible in a forged

>knife
>> so the knife performs like magic. Cheap? Nope. Worth it? Yes, to me.

>> wish I could sell these, they are fantastic. As it is, I have to content
>> myself with simply using one and I'm content indeed. Click on the link
>> below for an image.
>>
>> http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/ebay/misono.jpg
>>
>> Fred
>> Knife Outlet
>> http://www.knifeoutlet.com

They are great knives, I have the 27cm (10.5") chef's knife from the stainless
moly line (no chromium). Great knife, easy to sharpen and hone. Holds an edge.
I use it every a culinary school and at work it has held up well. I've been
thinking of complementing it with the 8 or 9" ver, or upgrading to the ux10
line or going with the MAC Ultimate series 9" chef's. Also stamped I believe.
Any comments by someone who has used some/all of these knives would be
appreciated.

Arturo
val189

Call me stupid, but I could NOT find a price on this knife on their
site. How much is it?
thank you for the nice review.