Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean myth debunked

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:45:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> When I cooked those Jacob's Cattle/Trout beans, they seemed to have
>> very little flavor at all. Perhaps I didn't season them right. But
>> they were one bean I'd just as soon forget.

> That's my point about beans. Most of them don't have a distinctive
> flavor and you end up tasting the seasoning, not the bean. For
> instance, cannellini, great northern and navy beans taste pretty much
> the same to me, but there's a huge difference with texture AFAIC. For
> me, black eyed peas, lentils and chickpeas (which I hate for both
> taste and texture when left whole) are all very distinctive... but
> there's little difference between white beans AFAIC unless you're
> talking about texture. I've experimented with expensive beans, like
> Borlotti, and to tell you the truth, pinto or small white would have
> worked for me in whatever recipe it was I used them in. I don't think
> I've seen Trout beans, but I probably would have the same opinion.
> You're the bean person, so I don't doubt your opinion.

Yes, I do find the white beans to be very similar and I will substitute one
for another if I can't find or don't have what the recipe specifically
calls for. But I do find differences with other beans. Black beans are the
weird one for me. Love most black bean soup, provided they keep it simple
and don't muck it up. For instance, Azteza puts cubed potatoes in theirs.
The end result is overly thick with almost a sticky/gloppy consistancy and
very bland. You taste the potatoes more than the beans. Not good. But I
don't really like to eat black beans on their own and I don't much like them
cold on a salad or mixed in a salsa.