Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Made a new Christmas Candy this year: Eggnog Truffles!

http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg

Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
batch.

Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
website:

2 lbs white chocolate
1 cup eggnog
1/2 cup dark rum
1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)

First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
well.

It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
"real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
because they are candy!

I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
making Christmas Candy! :-)

John Kuthe...

Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 7:03*pm, John Kuthe wrote:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg

Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
batch.
I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
making Christmas Candy! :-)

Good to hear your new candy making endeavor was a success. They sound
very good, bravo!
....Picky
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 12:05*am, JeanineAlyse wrote:

Good to hear your new candy making endeavor was a success. *They sound
very good, bravo!
...Picky

I was worried at first too! I was afraid I was gonna have to melt the
whole batch of ganache back down and add more something to make it
stiffer to be able to work it. I have another center I;ve had to learn
to work with like that, my mints, because I make them into little
patties so I've learned to cook that fondant to about 240F or 242F to
make it stiff enough, and I refrigerate that and work with it in
little pieces to get it to hold it;s shape while I dip it. But a
ganache is not cooked to temp, it's just melted and mixed.

It turned out a grand success so far. I'll have to see how they keep
now.

John Kuthe...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

All that work and you're using compound coating? Real white chocolate
is nasty in my book, and I would think the white coating would have a
weird chemical taste...I think you'd be better off using tempered
chocolate since you are putting so much into this.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 11:12*am, merryb wrote:
[...]

The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
"real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

Merry Christmas! :-)

John Kuthe...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 1:03*pm, Bull wrote:

Exactly! Absolutely thoughtless recipe!

BULL

Those who can: do.

Those who can't: criticize!

Put up or shut up!!

John Kuthe...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 10:53*am, John Kuthe wrote:
On Dec 7, 11:12*am, merryb wrote:

[...]

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
them...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:57*am, merryb wrote:

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
them...

Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?

Or do you sell them.

John Kuthe...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:10*am, John Kuthe wrote:
On Dec 8, 11:57*am, merryb wrote:

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
them...

Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?

Or do you sell them.

John Kuthe...

Yes, by hand, and usually this time of year. And I don't sell them
unless someone special orders some from me. Even tho milk chocolate is
not my favorite, I love Callebut's. I have a friend that has a
chocolate shop in the neighboring town, so I may see if he has some to
sell me, but I know he is into the organic free trade stuff. I know
tempering can be a PIA, but I think it's worth it...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:57*am, merryb wrote:

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
them...

Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?

Or do you sell them.

John Kuthe...

Yes, by hand, and usually this time of year. And I don't sell them
unless someone special orders some from me. Even tho milk chocolate is
not my favorite, I love Callebut's. I have a friend that has a
chocolate shop in the neighboring town, so I may see if he has some to
sell me, but I know he is into the organic free trade stuff. I know
tempering can be a PIA, but I think it's worth it...

How many you make? I'm roughly 1/2 way though my annual Christmas
production and here's my tally thus far:

65% dark truffles: 169
English Toffee: 360
57% dark truffles: 130
Coconut: 213
Eggnog truffles: 164

John Kuthe...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

That sounds good. Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? Did you
melt the white chocolate before adding it?

Susan B.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Not as many as you, but I do a lot of baking also. Wow- nowhere as
many as you!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 3:29*pm, sueb wrote:
That sounds good. *Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? *Did you
melt the white chocolate before adding it?

Susan B.

1/2 cup Myer's dark rum. There are probably better more flavorful dark
rums, but this is what they had at the grocery store.

I gently boiled the rum first to reduce it's liquid volume primarily.
Probably evaporated most of the alcohol too, but like I said I wanted
to reduce the liquid volume.Then I added 1 cup of eggnog and mixed and
brought that to a boil, then I added the white chocolate and p-sug.
(May leave out the p-sug next year.) And I let the heat of the boiled
eggnog/reduced rum melt the white chocolate, which was in small pieces
to start with. Just like I do for regular chocolate truffles only I
use 40% cream as the liquid.

John Kuthe...