Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_3_] John Kuthe[_3_] is offline

Default Made a new Christmas Candy this year: Eggnog Truffles!

http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg

Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
batch.

Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
website:

2 lbs white chocolate
1 cup eggnog
1/2 cup dark rum
1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)

First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
well.

It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
"real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
because they are candy!

I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
making Christmas Candy! :-)

John Kuthe...