Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm going to make Bourbon Truffles this year!

Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

:-)

John Kuthe...

Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 8:20*am, John Kuthe wrote:
Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

:-)

John Kuthe...

Are you going to dip them in tempered chocolate or roll them in
something to finish them?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

:-)

John Kuthe...

I would suggest using between 6 to 7 fluid oz of heavy cream for a pound of
chocolate, but definitely not more than a cup. (A cup will be quite soft. A
lot depends on whether you add anything else, such as invert sugar and
butter, and on how you plan to form them.) Add a pinch of salt to the cream
before heating it.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:
Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

:-)

John Kuthe...

I would suggest using between 6 to 7 fluid oz of heavy cream for a pound of
chocolate, but definitely not more than a cup. (A cup will be quite soft. A
lot depends on whether you add anything else, such as invert sugar and
butter, and on how you plan to form them.) Add a pinch of salt to the cream
before heating it.

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!
--
Jean B.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I ponder
this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some for
gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for it? LOL

Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
Jean B. wrote:

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some
for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for
it? LOL

I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the method
or the proportions given. But to each his own.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
Goomba wrote:
Jean B. wrote:

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some
for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for
it? LOL

I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the method
or the proportions given. But to each his own.

Really? Why? What do you find off about her proportions or method? Every
time I've made them they were wonderful!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba wrote:
Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some for
gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for it? LOL

Kay's recipe is on the r.f.c. website:
http://recfoodcooking.com/tips/truffles.html
Recipe and tips were posted by Charlotte Blackmer.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
Jean B. wrote:

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some for
gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for it? LOL

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this right now, but the
first hit is this rather boozy one:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/ac3d89177d0573c1/f571b553a71282b1?q=truffles+group:rec.food.cooking +author:Kay+author:Hartman#f571b553a71282b1

or

http://tinyurl.com/yej4jqf

In another iteration, she says you can sub 1/4 c cream for 9 Tbsps
liqueur. That may be a mistake, because elsewhere she subs an
equal amount.

To give credit where credit is due, earlier, in 1995, she said
"The truffles I make are a variation of the recipe published once
in the
Williams Sonoma catalogue."

--
Jean B.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
Goomba wrote:

Jean B. wrote:

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some
for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for
it? LOL

I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the method
or the proportions given. But to each his own.

When I made her truffles, it was a flop. :-( This was about 6-8 yrs
ago and I can not remember what was wrong. It was probably something I
did wrong. I did not try again.

Becca

Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
Janet wrote:
Goomba wrote:
Jean B. wrote:

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!
Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was
the RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make
some for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together
for it? LOL

I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the
method or the proportions given. But to each his own.

Really? Why? What do you find off about her proportions or method?
Every time I've made them they were wonderful!

Well, the recipes I found were a couple of variations on a single theme.
They called for 1 3/4 lbs of chocolate (type not specified) and 1 cup cream.
I feel that 6 oz heavy cream per pound of chocolate is the best proportion,
so I would use more cream. I also like to add a pinch of salt and a small
quantity of invert sugar. I usually use a combination of two chocolates, and
not Callebaut, which is what this recipe mentioned, which I find to be
rather bland.

Then, she says to spin the chocolate in a food processor and add the cream
in the processor. Although you can certainly do this--and it is more common
with thinner ganaches that are to be poured over a cake, I'd suggest pouring
the cream over the finely chopped chocolate, waiting a few minutes, then
stirring from the center of the bowl to emulsify.

The recipe then said to refrigerate the ganache. I actually beat a quantity
of unsalted, softened butter in when the ganache has reached room
temperature but not set, plus any liqueurs (spices having been infused and
strained out at an earlier stage). Then I let it set up overnight at cool
room temperature. The recipe I saw suggested 1/4 cup orange liqueur for the
1 3/4 lb chocolate. I don't think that's enough. (I also use some other
ingredients in orange ganache.)

She then says to form the truffles and roll in cocoa. I form the truffles,
undercoat with a thin layer of tempered couverture, and dip in tempered
couverture, garnishing as appropriate.

Her recipe was very basic, aimed at someone who didn't want to get technical
or temper chocolate. As long as you use decent chocolate they are going to
be okay, but not have the flavor, mouthfeel, or staying power I would look
for in an outstanding truffle.

Of course, most commerical "truffles" are really molded chocolates, the
product of severe corner-cutting on ingredients and method, and not worth
eating, IMHO.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 11:01*am, merryb wrote:
On Dec 11, 8:20*am, John Kuthe wrote:

Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

:-)

John Kuthe...

Are you going to dip them in tempered chocolate or roll them in
something to finish them?

I buy this dipping chocolate from Chocoley:

http://www.chocoley.com/badabingbadaboomcandymelts.htm

It's really good! I've tried a bunch of no-temper dipping compound
chocolates, and this is by far the best I've tried.

John Kuthe...
Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 8:04*pm, "Janet" wrote:
Goomba wrote:
Janet wrote:
Goomba wrote:
Jean B. wrote:

[...]

I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.

It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
gonna be great!

John Kuthe...
Old 12-12-2009, 07:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:20:58 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
wrote:

Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

Having made many many many bourbon bon bons/truffles over the years, I
can safely say.... use rum.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.

It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
gonna be great!

John Kuthe...

They are going to be hard as rocks. A) not enough cream for 3 pounds of
chocolate, B) not enough bourbon for 3 pounds of chocolate, C) well, if you
like that kind of chocolate I guess that's fine, but....d) ganache NEVER
needs to be put in the freezer!