Member

Default What are some ways to cook food so it tastes good and is good for you ?

Hi,

I eat WAY too much fried food & am afraid it's gonna do some serious damage in the long run. So I want to find a healthy alternative. But I still want to enjoy the food I eat. Is there a different way to cook it? Can I buy it from the store? Also, what's a healthy dessert & beverage to go with this meal?

Regards
Member

i think it is better to cook food with neat and clean hands
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wingmark > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I eat WAY too much fried food & am afraid it's gonna do some serious
> damage in the long run. So I want to find a healthy alternative. But I
> still want to enjoy the food I eat. Is there a different way to cook it?
> Can I buy it from the store? Also, what's a healthy dessert & beverage
> to go with this meal?

Join the club.

For frying eggs, I use a little oil in a stainless steel skillet with a
lid. When the skillet get hot, in goes the egg(s), then add a little water
and cover. After a couple of minutes the eggs has a nice fried poached like
texture to it. No need to flip the eggs, the steam will cook the top of the
eggs also and the eggs does not stick and slides right out of skillet onto
the plate.

Served with a glass of cold skim milk.

I find beverages is where most of my calorie intake is. Watered down fruit
juices or just go with water and skim milk. But then I am still fat. The
gym helps also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 2:13*am, wingmark >
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I eat WAY too much fried food & am afraid it's gonna do some serious
> damage in the long run. So I want to find a healthy alternative. But I
> still want to enjoy the food I eat. Is there a different way to cook it?
> Can I buy it from the store? Also, what's a healthy dessert & beverage
> to go with this meal?

The problem with frying is the oil. Do you fry potatoes? Try baking
them. I make potato chips by baking the slices on a rack until they
brown. Eggs? You can boil them, poach them, shirr them, as well as
fried. If you don't want to fry hamburgers, you can broil them or make
meatloaf.

I'm not big on healthy food. Mostly, I want what I eat to be dead.
When it comes to dessert, though, live fruits are excellent. There are
wonderful melons, peaches (and other drupes), as well as grapes and
berries this time of year. You can have them plain or cut up in yogurt
or sour cream.

Drinks? Well, water comes first. Soda is too sweet for my taste most
of the time.

Anyhow, be specific about the foods you want to use and you can get
more specific responses.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 07:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

>On Jul 14, 2:13*am, wingmark >
>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I eat WAY too much fried food & am afraid it's gonna do some serious
>> damage in the long run. So I want to find a healthy alternative. But I
>> still want to enjoy the food I eat. Is there a different way to cook it?
>> Can I buy it from the store? Also, what's a healthy dessert & beverage
>> to go with this meal?

>The problem with frying is the oil. Do you fry potatoes? Try baking
>them. I make potato chips by baking the slices on a rack until they
>brown. Eggs? You can boil them, poach them, shirr them, as well as
>fried. If you don't want to fry hamburgers, you can broil them or make
>meatloaf.

Meat loaf retains more fat than any other method... chili/meat sauces
retain the least fat because it can virtually all be skimmed off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Jul 14, 2:13*am, wingmark >
>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I eat WAY too much fried food & am afraid it's gonna do some serious
>> damage in the long run. So I want to find a healthy alternative. But I
>> still want to enjoy the food I eat. Is there a different way to cook it?
>> Can I buy it from the store? Also, what's a healthy dessert & beverage
>> to go with this meal?

>The problem with frying is the oil. Do you fry potatoes? Try baking
>them. I make potato chips by baking the slices on a rack until they
>brown.

Anybody use the pan I saw in the Chef's catalog yesterday? A
corrugated, perforated [enameled?] steel baking sheet to bake 'french
fries'-
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ing-sheet.aspx

I'm not a big french fry eater-- but I think it might work well for
roasting green beans & carrot sticks.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:43:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 07:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> wrote:
>

> Anybody use the pan I saw in the Chef's catalog yesterday? A
> corrugated, perforated [enameled?] steel baking sheet to bake 'french
> fries'-
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ing-sheet.aspx
>
> I'm not a big french fry eater-- but I think it might work well for
> roasting green beans & carrot sticks.

I think you'll need to dip them in oil first. Might as well save your
money and use a regular baking sheet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 12:02*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:43:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 07:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> > wrote:

> > Anybody use the pan I saw in the Chef's catalog yesterday? * *A
> > corrugated, *perforated [enameled?] steel baking sheet to bake 'french
> > fries'-
> >http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ni-ns-french-f...

> > I'm not a big french fry eater-- but I think it might work well for
> > roasting green beans & carrot sticks.

> I think you'll need to dip them in oil first. *Might as well save your
> money and use a regular baking sheet.

The trouble with a regular baking sheet or silicone mat is that the
two sides don't get done evenly. I find that a rack is good for most
foods. Even if it's wiped with a little oil, there;s not much contact
area.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent Brockman" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Boil or poach everything; meatloaf, form it and put it in a pan of water
> and
> cook then drain off the water and fat. Hamburger, form the patty, drop in
> pan with water and poach. Poach boneless skinless chicken breasts. All
> vegetables should be boiled until limp, then drained and eaten.
>
> Have fruit smoothies for beverage; a 16 ounce all-fruit smoothie with the
> meal; for dessert carrot cake or oatmeal cookies - good for eyes and
> heart.
> --
>
> Kent Brockman, multi-award winning anchor

I have just taken your awards away. Depart, peon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:20:58 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> On Jul 14, 12:02*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:43:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 07:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> > > wrote:

> > > Anybody use the pan I saw in the Chef's catalog yesterday? * *A
> > > corrugated, *perforated [enameled?] steel baking sheet to bake 'french
> > > fries'-
> > >http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ni-ns-french-f...

> > > I'm not a big french fry eater-- but I think it might work well for
> > > roasting green beans & carrot sticks.

> > I think you'll need to dip them in oil first. *Might as well save your
> > money and use a regular baking sheet.

> The trouble with a regular baking sheet or silicone mat is that the
> two sides don't get done evenly. I find that a rack is good for most
> foods. Even if it's wiped with a little oil, there;s not much contact
> area.

I like the deep brown crispiness that contact with the pan gives and
will turn them as many times as necessary to get them browned all
over. The perforated pan just won't do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:59:59 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "Kent Brockman" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Boil or poach everything; meatloaf, form it and put it in a pan of water
> > and
> > cook then drain off the water and fat. Hamburger, form the patty, drop in
> > pan with water and poach. Poach boneless skinless chicken breasts. All
> > vegetables should be boiled until limp, then drained and eaten.
> >
> > Have fruit smoothies for beverage; a 16 ounce all-fruit smoothie with the
> > meal; for dessert carrot cake or oatmeal cookies - good for eyes and
> > heart.
> > --
> >
> > Kent Brockman, multi-award winning anchor

> I have just taken your awards away. Depart, peon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Brockman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Brockman