Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default does anyone know if this tastes as good as it looks?

Flourless Sponge Cake
Makes 12 servings

From EatingWell Magazine April 1998
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/fl...m_source=EWTWN
A perfect ending to a Passover seder.

ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 5 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate

1 cup vanilla sugar (see Tip) or 1 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons vanilla
extract
3/4 cup matzo cake meal
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
12 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Whisk 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (or sugar), matzo cake meal and lemon
zest in a medium bowl.
3. Beat egg whites, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl with an
electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high
and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 3/4 cup vanilla sugar
(or sugar) 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks
form.
4. Fold dry ingredients into beaten whites with a rubber spatula. (If
using vanilla extract, add it now.) Scrape batter into an ungreased
10-inch angel food cake pan. Run a spatula in a circle through batter
to release air bubbles; smooth the top.
5. Bake cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until top springs back when
touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
(The top of the cake will be cracked.) Invert the cake to cool
completely. (If the pan has no "legs, " invert it over the neck of a
glass bottle.)
6. With a knife, loosen edges of cake and invert onto a serving
platter.

TIP: Tips: To make vanilla sugar, split 1 vanilla bean lengthwise with
the tip of a sharp knife. Cut into 2-inch pieces and grind in a
blender with 1 cup sugar. Pass sugar through a fine sieve. (The sugar
will keep indefinitely in a tightly covered container at room
temperature.)

To warm egg whites to room temperature, place them in a bowl over hot
water. Whisk for a few minutes until they feel slightly warm to the
touch.

Dried egg whites, such as Just Whites, reconstituted, can be
substituted for fresh egg whites.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Flourless Sponge Cake
> Makes 12 servings
>
> From EatingWell Magazine April 1998
> http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/fl...m_source=EWTWN
> A perfect ending to a Passover seder.
>
> ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
> TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 5 minutes
> EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate
>
> 1 cup vanilla sugar (see Tip) or 1 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons vanilla
> extract
> 3/4 cup matzo cake meal
> 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
> 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon lemon juice
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
> 2. Whisk 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (or sugar), matzo cake meal and lemon
> zest in a medium bowl.
> 3. Beat egg whites, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl with an
> electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high
> and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 3/4 cup vanilla sugar
> (or sugar) 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks
> form.
> 4. Fold dry ingredients into beaten whites with a rubber spatula. (If
> using vanilla extract, add it now.) Scrape batter into an ungreased
> 10-inch angel food cake pan. Run a spatula in a circle through batter
> to release air bubbles; smooth the top.
> 5. Bake cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until top springs back when
> touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
> (The top of the cake will be cracked.) Invert the cake to cool
> completely. (If the pan has no "legs, " invert it over the neck of a
> glass bottle.)
> 6. With a knife, loosen edges of cake and invert onto a serving
> platter.
>
> TIP: Tips: To make vanilla sugar, split 1 vanilla bean lengthwise with
> the tip of a sharp knife. Cut into 2-inch pieces and grind in a
> blender with 1 cup sugar. Pass sugar through a fine sieve. (The sugar
> will keep indefinitely in a tightly covered container at room
> temperature.)
>
> To warm egg whites to room temperature, place them in a bowl over hot
> water. Whisk for a few minutes until they feel slightly warm to the
> touch.
>
> Dried egg whites, such as Just Whites, reconstituted, can be
> substituted for fresh egg whites.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

Don't know, guess you'll have to try it and report back. I have tried a
few different flourless cakes and I have been less than impressed with
all of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Flourless Sponge Cake
> Makes 12 servings
>
> From EatingWell Magazine April 1998
> http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/fl...m_source=EWTWN
> A perfect ending to a Passover seder.

Since it contains matzo cake meal, it isn't flourless and wouldn't be
suitable for anyone who can't eat wheat

Have eaten similar things and they were fine. Just a basic egg white
sponge; handle it gently and it will bake very light.

> ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
> TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 5 minutes
> EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate
>
> 1 cup vanilla sugar (see Tip) or 1 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons vanilla
> extract
> 3/4 cup matzo cake meal
> 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
> 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon lemon juice
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
> 2. Whisk 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (or sugar), matzo cake meal and lemon
> zest in a medium bowl.
> 3. Beat egg whites, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl with an
> electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high
> and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 3/4 cup vanilla sugar
> (or sugar) 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks
> form.
> 4. Fold dry ingredients into beaten whites with a rubber spatula. (If
> using vanilla extract, add it now.) Scrape batter into an ungreased
> 10-inch angel food cake pan. Run a spatula in a circle through batter
> to release air bubbles; smooth the top.
> 5. Bake cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until top springs back when
> touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
> (The top of the cake will be cracked.) Invert the cake to cool
> completely. (If the pan has no "legs, " invert it over the neck of a
> glass bottle.)
> 6. With a knife, loosen edges of cake and invert onto a serving
> platter.
>
> TIP: Tips: To make vanilla sugar, split 1 vanilla bean lengthwise with
> the tip of a sharp knife. Cut into 2-inch pieces and grind in a
> blender with 1 cup sugar. Pass sugar through a fine sieve. (The sugar
> will keep indefinitely in a tightly covered container at room
> temperature.)
>
> To warm egg whites to room temperature, place them in a bowl over hot
> water. Whisk for a few minutes until they feel slightly warm to the
> touch.
>
> Dried egg whites, such as Just Whites, reconstituted, can be
> substituted for fresh egg whites.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:11:18 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Since it contains matzo cake meal, it isn't flourless and wouldn't be
>suitable for anyone who can't eat wheat

I'm ok with wheat.

>Have eaten similar things and they were fine. Just a basic egg white
>sponge; handle it gently and it will bake very light.

Thanks. I might try it, because it *looks* good.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Flourless Sponge Cake
> Makes 12 servings
>
> From EatingWell Magazine April 1998
> http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/fl...m_source=EWTWN
> A perfect ending to a Passover seder.

<snipped for brevity>

That *does* look good! If you're interested in a wheatless cake for
Passover, Canadian Living magazine has a nice looking cake -- Passover
Sunshine Cake -- in their current issue; here's a link to the recipe on
their site:

<http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/step_by_step_cake_recipe_passover_sunshine_cake.ph p>

.... and because that's a ridiculously-long link pretty much guaranteed
to break, here's the tiny url:

http://tinyurl.com/5mtv45

I haven't made this, but Canadian Living's recipes are generally pretty
good, ie, accurate ingredients and instructions and good results.